• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Codeine safe dosage?

zenzan

Greenlighter
Hi bluelighters, hope you guys are safe from Corona!

I was recently prescribed Tramadol 100mg IR for pain, and have been taking it 50mg (half tab) every 3-4 days, sometimes id take 75mg but nonetheless, i add a break of 3-4 days as somehow effects of tramadol linger for 2 days for me....But recently many people have told my how Tramadol is the evil drug so i went to me doc and got prescribed Codeine 15mg/paracetamol 500mg/caffein 30mg...I was thinking on taking 3 tabs...2 at once and 1 an hour later...

Would that be safe?
Euphoria wise, how that get compared to 75mg tramadol?, Any help would be amazing Thanks!

Yeah I’m gonna be honest and say you’ll get fuck all out of 30mg codeine when you’ve been taking 75mg tramadol and please please do not take extra because paracetamol will wreck your liver it won’t be pretty. Be glad you’re not on tramadol though. That is a horrid medication with horrid side effects and at high doses can induce seizures. It starts off taking small doses and you’ll be up to those dangerous ones in no time.

See how you feel with the 30mg codeine, you might like it but don’t be expecting anything amazing. I’m surprised your doc gave you such a low dose codeine though. Were you given tramadol for a short term pain management? As in an injury that has healed or should heal soon?

they gave me tramadol cuz of a surgery I had, and actually you were the one to convince me not to take tramadol, so im heading your advice, haven't taken any tramadol for 11 days now, luckily no withdrawal symptom but pain is worse..... and 15mg of codeine is the highest available in my country sadly, technically he gave me the highest possible.

So you're telling me 30mg would mess me up?, should i only take 15mg first?, as i told you my tolerance is almost none as 75mg tramadol is amazing to me...but i digress..Thnks for the reply though @PrincessDiz

No I’m saying try the 2 tablets which will be 30mg codeine. See how that is. But don’t be taking extra tablets due to the paracetamol. I was saying 30mg codeine is weak compared to tramadol so you might not feel much off it, but try because like you say you’ve been off tramadol for long enough so you could get an euphoric feeling from them.

I’m really glad that you got off the tramadol. You’re really lucky you didn’t get withdrawals so it’s good you weren’t using them too much. Eventually they would be taking them off you as your surgery pain should be subsiding anyway so you’ve saved yourself from coming off them.

30mg codeine is going to be a lot less euphoric than 50mg tramadol.

Codeine is definitely safer than tramadol, but paracetamol is not.

Taking more than 1 gram of tramadol at once or more than 4 times every 4-6 hours up to a max of 4 grams a day is going to be bad for your liver in the long term.

In the short term taking a bit above that is probably OK, but long term it's bad for you.

The danger of tramadol is seizures. Which is also a risk in the longer term, or even short term with higher doses (although 100mg isn't very much).

If you find yourself unable to keep your use of the codeine/paracetamol at or under the max recommended paracetamol dosage, I'd highly recommend looking into doing a cold water extraction of the codeine.

Or, perhaps if you can't make that work, getting back on the tramadol. I mean it certainly has risks in the long run too. But 50mg every few days should still be a lot safer than repeatedly taking above the max dose of paracetamol.

Considering OP was only prescribed them for surgery pain it’s not going to be a lifetime repeat prescription. So I think it’s best that OP has moved to codeine. Getting into the high from prescription pain meds is a slippery slope which I’m sure you know well Jess. It’s best to nip it in the bud now and not go down that path.

Im actually gonna try CWE and take 60 mg of codeine as my first dose, lucky for me CWE would be easy as im majoring in chemistry anyway, Thanks for the replies guys!

Considering OP was only prescribed them for surgery pain it’s not going to be a lifetime repeat prescription. So I think it’s best that OP has moved to codeine. Getting into the high from prescription pain meds is a slippery slope which I’m sure you know well Jess. It’s best to nip it in the bud now and not go down that path.

Good point.
Also codeine should be easier to get off since it doesn't also have SNRI effects.

Codeine is weak and not worth using. I used to have tramadol and after long use felt ill on it and was swapped to codeine which also sucks with frequent use. If I have a month break and then take codeine I can feel something but nothing like the euphoria I felt from tramadol I was prescribed

You likely not only had a tolerance from the tramadol, but shift the SNRI effect as well

try to get a version without caffeine, usually 120mg is the minimum for "euphoria", you could do a cwe even of 10 pills but the problem is that you would have 300mg caffeine which is a deal breaker. try requesting the same meds without caffeine, you could tell the doctor that caffeine is hard on your stomach, for pain reasons it's ok taking it one at a time as it prescribed( 1 pill ). tramadol is quite complex, codeine doesn't have so many properties, not only the opioidness helps the "good feeling" in tramadol's case, the snri too. but the withdrawal is lengthy, at least in my case, and it really fucks up you mentally, mood-wise too

I had a seizure from 350mg tramadol which is under the "safe limit" according to the medical guidelines. Fuck tramadol.

Anyway as others have said 15mg codeine is a tiny dose and 500mg paracetamol in each one is what you need to be careful of not the codeine. Do not exceed 4g paracetamol per day.

To be honest 50mg tramadol every few days seems relatively harmless to me despite my general dislike of the drug.

I had a seizure from 350mg tramadol which is under the "safe limit" according to the medical guidelines. Fuck tramadol.

Anyway as others have said 15mg codeine is a tiny dose and 500mg paracetamol in each one is what you need to be careful of not the codeine. Do not exceed 4g paracetamol per day.

To be honest 50mg tramadol every few days seems relatively harmless to me despite my general dislike of the drug.
I swear even fucking fentanyl Is better than Tramadol with it's 30min dirty high. Fuck Tramadol makes me so nauseous, altho Pharma fent packs a punch to the Rush AND nod of morphine yummm.

No
they gave me tramadol cuz of a surgery I had, and actually you were the one to convince me not to take tramadol, so im heading your advice, haven't taken any tramadol for 11 days now, luckily no withdrawal symptom but pain is worse..... and 15mg of codeine is the highest available in my country sadly, technically he gave me the highest possible.

So you're telling me 30mg would mess me up?, should i only take 15mg first?, as i told you my tolerance is almost none as 75mg tramadol is amazing to me...but i digress..Thnks for the reply though @PrincessDiz
No take 2-3 30mg codeine pills for 75mg tramadol equivalent.

Take 100mg u b fine I a till like codeine and I've tried heroin and on oxy I think I produce the enzymea aa I still enjoy tramadol

Good point.
Also codeine should be easier to get off since it doesn't also have SNRI effects.
Codeine is very mild by comparison to get off.id recommend getting on codeine to everyone coming off other opiates then coming off the codeine.
Its wds is so mild I've had it produce
mild manageable wds from heavy codeine use multiple times a day to not producing any wds at all after using once a day over multiple years.thats how mild codeine wds can be.great drug.

No

No take 2-3 30mg codeine pills for 75mg tramadol equivalent.
He didn’t have codeine pills he had codeine/paracetamol mix that’s why I was saying not to take the extra due to the paracetamol. He knows CWE anyway so think he got sorted.

try to get a version without caffeine, usually 120mg is the minimum for "euphoria", you could do a cwe even of 10 pills but the problem is that you would have 300mg caffeine which is a deal breaker. try requesting the same meds without caffeine, you could tell the doctor that caffeine is hard on your stomach, for pain reasons it's ok taking it one at a time as it prescribed( 1 pill ). tramadol is quite complex, codeine doesn't have so many properties, not only the opioidness helps the "good feeling" in tramadol's case, the snri too. but the withdrawal is lengthy, at least in my case, and it really fucks up you mentally, mood-wise too

Yes. I was thinking the same thing. Too much caffeine can ruin the high of codeine. Although there are people who say that it helps to potentiate it but it's not my case.