• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine Cocaine and Ritalin- Smell similar?

tablehead

Bluelighter
All binders, fillers, and cuts aside; shouldn't pure Cocaine and pure Ritalin (Methylphenidate) smell similar?

Chemicals which degrade from Cocaine like pure Ecgonine, smell extremely similar to cocaine. These molecules look similar structurally, are composed of the same elements, have extremely similar psychoactive properties and similar pharmacodynamics.

Consequently to all these similarities they also smell similar since our brain interprets the similar molecules and individual atoms (elements: C,N,H,O) which are present in each chemical as similar smells.

WARNING TANGENT ->Which is to say we perceive the different amount of protons, neutrons and electrons around a given nucleus and combinations of such atoms in arrangements of molecules; which are basically slightly different floating electrical signals, that hit our olfactory epithelium and are transmitted and decoded by our brain into a certain smell.

Anyway Methylphenidate is structurally similar to cocaine and shares some common elements meaning they have similar evaporants; chemicals which degrade from or elements which evaporate from the base chemical. All the stable forms of carbon, and combinations of these elements evaporating from the chemicals (cocaine or Methylphenidate); create what we perceive to be similar smells.

Difference from cocaine(atoms) Total
Cocaine- C17H21NO4 C17-C17 = 0 H21-H21 =0 NO4-NO4=0 0
Methylphenidate- C14H19NO2 C17-C14 = 3 H21-H19 =2 NO4-NO2=2 7
Ecgonine- C9H15NO3- C17-C9 = 8 H21-H15 =6 NO4-NO3=1 15
Difference in total amount of elements present 0 <- Important
Difference in the elements needed to create the chemicals 0

I know amphetamine is also structurally similar to Ritalin and Cocaine and shares some of the same elements and similar psychoactive effects and to someone who would ask why it does not also smell similar I would answer :

Difference from cocaine (atoms) Total
C17-C9 = 8 H21-H13 =8 N=1 O=No oxygens 20
Difference in elements needed for chemical 1

Cocaine- C17H21NO4
Amphetamine- C9H13N

And in short: they share common elements but not all the elements are common to the two chemicals

With the biggest difference being the lack of any Nitrogen bonded to any oxygen and no oxygen molecules in general.

This is also why Rotten eggs and farts; which contain (Hydrogen sulfide), smell like burning Sulfur (burning sulfur releases Sulfur dioxide) Sulfur itself is oderless meaning no chemoreceptors detect the Sulfur S molecule, although a sulfur molecule bonded to another chemical say hydrogen gives off a similar smell to that of a Sulfur molecule bonded to an Oxygen molecule.

Hydrogen sulfide- H2S -> 2 hydrogen bonded to one Sulfur
Sulfur dioxide- SO2 -> 2 oxygen bonded to one Sulfur
Zero difference in total amount of atoms
Zero difference in total amount of elements present
One difference in the elements needed to create chemicals

So theres my Thesis, supporting information opposing argument and rebuttal to that particular objection with my conclusion being:

The two chemicals Cocaine and Methylphenidate truly do smell similar. Although not extremely similar, it is distinguishably similar none the less. I believe that not only are the elements and amount of atoms important in the similarity of smells, but having similar chemical structure, and pharmacological effects (if applicable) contribute to a similar smell as well. If all factors are similar you can make the conclusion they likely smell alike.

Side Notes:

Ritalin also sometimes for me has a numbing effect post insuffilation during the drip. Although I agree this is strange and possibly a placebo, since I have not heard of Methylphenidate having anesthetic numbing properties; it none the less feels and tastes like coke on the drip.
I have however heard reports of freebase methylphenidate; which is baking soda mixed with Ritalin and water which is then dried and smoked, giving a numbing of the lips effect like crack. But never when gummed.

IMO Ritalin does not smell as good as cocaine; I think this is accounted for by the fact that Ritalin is synthetic and man made. Why Sucralose (splenda); a synthetic sweetener, smells and tastes like weird sucrose (sugar) [ITS CHLORINATED] NO WONDER WHY.

I really spent a lot of time on this; too much time8o8o...thanks to curiosity and Ritalin

Hope this is somewhat interesting, I have never heard of anyone making a comparison of the smells of the 2 very similar drugs, and would love input on the information, ideas work and the readability (organization). And as my first cracked out in-depth bluelight report - IHOPE I GET AN A =D

Last edited:
No one has any input or experience with both substances that can say they agree or disagree...?
Or is there anyone out there with an extensive chemistry, psychobiology, or neurochemistry knowledge base; who could support or debunk my ideas?

Really people no input, thoughts or opinions to share from all those views. Sorry I must Bump myself. by asking :
The more volatile a chemical, the more odorous it is, the faster it degrades/loses potency? Or is that just usually. Because cannabis itself is not very volatile, yet it has many oils and resins which are which make it a very pungent substance yet it usually keeps extremely long, does that mean it just has more molecules in the plant which specifically smell or does it mean that the thc/cbc molecules are degrading and evaporating.
Does THC itself have an odor / would Marinol smell like burning weed then?

If this is to technical we can move it somewhere else if OD isn't isn't isn't isn't up for the topic.

Last edited:
I can read more about this when I get back. I'd be the person to have something to say about it too man, I'll just need some time.

I scanned over what you wrote and it certainly sounds interesting. Good to see some diversity in OD!

I am pretty sure methylphenidate is not a topical anesthetic...

I can read more about this when I get back. I'd be the person to have something to say about it too man, I'll just need some time.

I scanned over what you wrote and it certainly sounds interesting. Good to see some diversity in OD!

Awesome C.H. I really value your input. When ever you get a chance, Ill keep checkin on it.

And to BollWeevil - I know its not, I even said I had never heard of such a thing. I think it must be the similar taste in my throat and placebo that makes it feel like its numbed from coke.

But the smell thing I just verified again by smelling some crushed Methylphenidate powder =D

i need more time to read this, but preliminarily it sounds interesting. chemical composition should determine smell by which olfactory receptors are triggered, and two molecules with a similar composition and structure would almost certainly trigger a similar set of these receptors, right?

the only problem with cocaine is that you rarely, if ever, see it in a pure form, and there are other inactives in methylphenidate pills. either of these factors could confound the experiment if the average person decides to put your hypothesis to the test (And what a fun test it'd be to "smell" coke and methylphenidate!)

the only problem with cocaine is that you rarely, if ever, see it in a pure form, and there are other inactives in methylphenidate pills. either of these factors could confound the experiment if the average person decides to put your hypothesis to the test (And what a fun test it'd be to "smell" coke and methylphenidate!)

This is very true HOWEVER I have gotten to dabble in pure cocaine. Very fun.

how did it smell? i guess you could purify any batch with a tek, just most people are too lazy. also being a topical anesthetic, wouldnt it dull your ability to detect the smell unless you were very careful to sniff it without snorting an actual whole line?

Haha you make it sound like it would be hard to sniff cocaine without snorting it up

*Where'd my line go?*
*Sorry man, I was smelling the coke and i accidentally snorted it all up :|*

well, if you're able to smell something, some of the compound is obviously inhaled. plus the temptation would be pretty great just to go ahead and stick your nose a little further down and inhale just a BIT harder...

That does sound fun and this thread is interesting, how did you get to try pure? I haven't had Ritalin in ages, I used it before discovering dextroamphetamine and never went back.

No one has any input or experience with both substances that can say they agree or disagree...?
Or is there anyone out there with an extensive chemistry, psychobiology, or neurochemistry knowledge base; who could support or debunk my ideas?

If this is to technical we can move it somewhere else if OD isn't isn't isn't isn't up for the topic.

Cool thread. :)

You've got to consider first of all that similar chemical structures are different in very relative terms. For eg... d-amphetamine is more potent than the levo isomer even though the atoms are the same... and methamphetamine is even more poweeful via the addition of a simple Me group, so what I'm saying is a "small difference" like adding a small alkyl group is only a small difference in terms of our thinking. Your front door key probably looks just like your neighbors key, but those small difference translate to huge functional differences.

So yes, MPH is similar to cocaine in some ways, but not the important ones. Could it smell the same? Absolutely. But you can only figure that out by testing it, whereas inferences from structure are much more likely6 to be erroneous.

I'v met guys who'v banged Both and say they are very similar, while others say they're different.

Scored 240 M/dates da other day and prep it for freebase-DAMN it works, total head rush, almost passed out, and on only 2 pills.

how did it smell? i guess you could purify any batch with a tek, just most people are too lazy. also being a topical anesthetic, wouldnt it dull your ability to detect the smell unless you were very careful to sniff it without snorting an actual whole line?

I never snorted enough of it to get a good taste of it but I still got high every time. It's ridiculous how little cocaine you need insuffulated or IV to get high. Plus I don't really remember - I remember more about IVing it than anything.

I am not sure if the anesthetic value has anything to do with masking taste or not, good question.

*Where'd my line go?*
*Sorry man, I was smelling the coke and i accidentally snorted it all up *

And how often do you get to hear that?

Also... Basing pills? something I have not tried. I'll take your word for it tho man...

That does sound fun and this thread is interesting, how did you get to try pure? I haven't had Ritalin in ages, I used it before discovering dextroamphetamine and never went back.

A good amount of pure came up from where all cocaine comes from. Instead of cutting it to make 3-10x the money (or more) they just made 2x the money by charging twice as much as street shit (great deal).

Good coke smells very 'dentisty' almost sterile. Reminds me of its relatives, benzocaine, lidocaine, novacaine, etc. Methylphenidate.... not so much

I'v met guys who'v banged Both and say they are very similar, while others say they're different.

Scored 240 M/dates da other day and prep it for freebase-DAMN it works, total head rush, almost passed out, and on only 2 pills.

SERIOUSLY how in the hell can you stand that taste. Freebasing Ritalin tastes worse than horse shit IMO AKKKK :p

I snorted Ritalin for the first time a few weeks ago and have done it a few times since then. It started me how similar it smells to coke. I haven't done coke in probably 8 years it and that smell took me back. Glad I'm not the only one that noticed that.

hi, can someone tell me if i can extract my 54mg ritilan the cold water way and can it be smoked? please could someone tell me the instructions step by step. i only want to know if this way is possible. thank u