• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Clonidine to reduce adrenergic side effects of stimulants

Memantine

Bluelighter
Can clonidine be safely combined with stimulants like methylphenidate or amphetamine to reduce high blood pressure and tachycardia? Will it destroy the dopaminergic high? I was thinking of 150 micrograms.

Yes. No it will not reduce dopaminergic effects at that dosage, but keep in mind that as part of its pharmacological profile, clonidine does reduce dopamine release indirectly. That is not a lot and should just take care of side effects or you might not even feel it at all and need to take more. Just stay safe. I would start with .1 or even .05 depending on your stimulant dose and clonidine tolerance.

which stimulant are you taking and what dosage? I would not recommend taking a beta blocker with either as it will tend to make blood pressure and tachycardia worse.

Yes. No it will not reduce dopaminergic effects at that dosage, but keep in mind that as part of its pharmacological profile, clonidine does reduce dopamine release indirectly. That is not a lot and should just take care of side effects or you might not even feel it at all and need to take more. Just stay safe. I would start with .1 or even .05 depending on your stimulant dose and clonidine tolerance.

which stimulant are you taking and what dosage? I would not recommend taking a beta blocker with either as it will tend to make blood pressure and tachycardia worse.

Do you mind explaining how this occurs? I'm currently taking 0.8 mg Clonidine per day/night mostly for sleep and to help prevent withdrawal as I am a fast methadone metabolizer. I'm on 220 mg methadone per day. Is that combination causing less dopamine release for me?

No, not really. It is insignificant at therapeutic dosages for most people

But here:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0091305798000501

It happens by increasing GABA, which decreases the release of all NTs, as well as by binding to presynaptic alpha 2 receptors directly an inhibiting NE, which would inhibit dopamine as well, since the two catecholamine share such a similar structure.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11927164

So it can be somewhat significant. But do you find dysphoria occurring

Sometimes yes, but that could be from anything as I am unemployed right now. Interesting about GABA - I never knew it was GABAergic in the least, despite the fact that it causes drowsiness. Still, it doesn't really have benzi effects does it? I had always read that Clonidine reduces anxiety by inhibiting the sympathetic nervous system and noradrenaline.

No, not benzo effects as it does not work on BDZ sites. It just indirectly increases GABA in certain areas of the brains. That doesn't make them similar at all.

Yes you are correct. It inhibits norepinephrine release, which prevents the activation of subsequent alpha adrenergic receptors and subsequent calcium release and norepinephrine and glutamate release - this is the main mechanism of action.

But the intitial alpha 2 agonism, also inhibits serotonin and dopamine release as well. As well as promoting GABAergic activity and decreasing NMDA channel activity, which is why the alpha 2 ligands can cause hallucinations - tizanidine (Zanaflex) is well-known for this.

But to answer your question, no, they do not act like benzos. Benzodiazepines release dopamine via their interaction with GABA, which is why they are euphoric. Clonidine does not.

Clonodine is pretty good if you want to come down and get some sleep on stims. I've used it for this purpose multiple times. At a high enough dosage (I wouldn't start off with more than .3mg) it can give you something of a 'cold nod' (basically you'll find yourself lapsing in and out of consciousness like an opiate, minus the euphoria). Be careful though, from what a few friends of mine have said who have overdosed on clonodine, it is very unpleasant. My one friend even described going temporarily blind-now whether that's true or not is up for debate, but I can attest to the unpleasantness of having severely low blood pressure.

I've used clonidine on a daily basis at two different times for about 6 weeks each.Helps with sleep and blood pressure.It would be great for me had it not caused me stomach/digestion problems and constipation and symptoms of enlarged prostate at the 5-6 week mark.Although this category of substances (a-blockers) are used to relax the prostate and increase urine flow somehow it had the opposite effect on me.This was definitely not a placebo effect.

^alpha agonists. It doesn't block; it activates. The alpha blockers work on the postsynaptic alpha 1 adrenergic receptors.

Clonidine and tizanidine work on the presynaptic alpha 2 receptors. Since they are autoreceptors, blocking them would actually release norepinephrine (think of it as a feedback loop - the autoreceptors exists to control norepinphrine release from the presynaptic neuron, so when they are activated, they shut down norepinphrine release, so in a sense, they are inhibitory). So alpha blockers (antagonists) at this site are stimulatory, ie they release norepinphrine, such as yohimbine and mirtazpine.

I stand corrected then !

PS i'm a chronic user of mirtazapine before bed.15mg,it really helps me start feel sleepy.How does this work ,and did my mirtazapine use affect my reaction to clonidine ?

^alpha agonists. It doesn't block; it activates. The alpha blockers work on the postsynaptic alpha 1 adrenergic receptors.

Clonidine and tizanidine work on the presynaptic alpha 2 receptors. Since they are autoreceptors, blocking them would actually release norepinephrine (think of it as a feedback loop - the autoreceptors exists to control norepinphrine release from the presynaptic neuron, so when they are activated, they shut down norepinphrine release, so in a sense, they are inhibitory). So alpha blockers (antagonists) at this site are stimulatory, ie they release norepinphrine, such as yohimbine and mirtazpine.
I thought they disproved that in a newer study and it was just a hypothesis before about unopposed

Absolutely. I always found Clonidine (Catapres) to be that little push over the edge if I'm feeling a little too wired/rattled and it's great for this purpose. You're not dealing with any seriously dangerous drugs here so you can experiment a little bit. I'd say, try taking 0.1mg Clonazepam with your stimulant to see if that makes the difference you're after. If not, I would first try 1.5 tablets before actually trying 2 tablets. This is a pharmaco;logical combination that is actually used just for this purpose, so nothing crazy here.

never done stimulants or taken clonidine, so I can’t speak from personal experience. However, as others have already said, clonidine is probably much safer than other Downers especially GABA drugs, like benzodiazepines or alcohol.
Actually, let me rephrase that. Clonidine is probably safer in that it doesn’t carry its own risk of psychological dependence, however, I’m sure it’s pretty potent and has strong cardiovascular effects. it also has some rather unpleasant side-effects like muscle weakness, Global pressure, fainting and paradoxical insomnia.
On the other hand, if I remember correctly, it has been used in the management of hypertension related to stimulant like recreational drugs.

Absolutely. I always found Clonidine (Catapres) to be that little push over the edge if I'm feeling a little too wired/rattled and it's great for this purpose. You're not dealing with any seriously dangerous drugs here so you can experiment a little bit. I'd say, try taking 0.1mg Clonazepam with your stimulant to see if that makes the difference you're after. If not, I would first try 1.5 tablets before actually trying 2 tablets. This is a pharmaco;logical combination that is actually used just for this purpose, so nothing crazy here.
That’s great because im on a very hard stimulant binge….daynavel…ugh…o hate abusing stims let alone long acting as in 14 hours acting stims. Feels like im almost losing my mind at times.

But im not taking anymore. Only have like three left anyway.

I took the Clonidine .5 mg, do you think that’s enough for a 28 day daynavel pill binger condensed into a day and a half? Or should I go higher? I know you mentioned .1.

I have .2 mg tabs been splitting them up. I only took one dose.
never done stimulants or taken clonidine, so I can’t speak from personal experience. However, as others have already said, clonidine is probably much safer than other Downers especially GABA drugs, like benzodiazepines or alcohol.
Actually, let me rephrase that. Clonidine is probably safer in that it doesn’t carry its own risk of psychological dependence, however, I’m sure it’s pretty potent and has strong cardiovascular effects. it also has some rather unpleasant side-effects like muscle weakness, Global pressure, fainting and paradoxical insomnia.
On the other hand, if I remember correctly, it has been used in the management of hypertension related to stimulant like recreational drugs.
i took .5mg maybe I need to take more but guess idk why I didn’t. So 1mg should be safe? Wait the pills are .2mg

Also I only have two daynavel left and should throw them out but will likely keep them to make the come dow easier but was thinking I could snort pieces of a pill just to help with come down but idk if you can snort daynavel.

It crushes fine but it’s weird formulation

Probably going inside the hospital tomorrow. Probably should ho tonight to so I can get checked out but I always feel out when I’m stimming for no reason.

Then again 28 pills of 14 hour long acting race mix amp idk….im used to d amp. And it’s nothing like this. D amp much better this shit is I’ll uncomfortable

Probably going inside the hospital tomorrow. Probably should ho tonight to so I can get checked out but I always feel out when I’m stimming for no reason.

Then again 28 pills of 14 hour long acting race mix amp idk….im used to d amp. And it’s nothing like this. D amp much better this shit is I’ll uncomfortable

I honestly don’t know much about clonidine dosing, but maybe you could take another two pills and wait an hour? I would definitely avoid using any more amphetamine, it will only make your situation worse. If you need to crash, just distract yourself with the fun activity or try to sleep. you’ll need to crash in the end, but the more you try to fight it the harder you will eventually come down.
I’ve never done psychostimulants myself which means I’m missing out on some potentially amazing drugs. However, it also means I’ve never experienced a stimulant binge and the associated crash so the things I’m saying, are what I’ve heard from other people.
I’ve always told myself that if I ever have the chance to try, amphetamine type stimulants, I would only ever take them orally and I will never re-dose on the same day. as you seem to be an experienced stimulant user, if I stick to my plan, is it easy to avoid getting into binge cycles. I know psychological dependence with any doses is possible, but let’s assume I only ever took between 10 and 20 mg of amphetamine in a given day orally. is it likely I will start having urges to take more or to start taking it via different routes?
Sorry for all the questions, I’m just extremely curious

Clonidine only acts at alpha2 adrenergic receptors so there's still the effect of beta receptors in the periphery that isn't being addressed. Propanolol may be a better drug to use but talk to a physician before implementing anything like that

Or just use fencamfamin and forget about cardiac side effects of the amphetamines

Clonidine only acts at alpha2 adrenergic receptors so there's still the effect of beta receptors in the periphery that isn't being addressed. Propanolol may be a better drug to use but talk to a physician before implementing anything like that

Or just use fencamfamin and forget about cardiac side effects of the amphetamines
WTH is fencamfamin? Well I just took .1 mg before I read your post go figure lol. But it’s not dangerous just not as effective right?

I honestly don’t know much about clonidine dosing, but maybe you could take another two pills and wait an hour? I would definitely avoid using any more amphetamine, it will only make your situation worse. If you need to crash, just distract yourself with the fun activity or try to sleep. you’ll need to crash in the end, but the more you try to fight it the harder you will eventually come down.
I’ve never done psychostimulants myself which means I’m missing out on some potentially amazing drugs. However, it also means I’ve never experienced a stimulant binge and the associated crash so the things I’m saying, are what I’ve heard from other people.
I’ve always told myself that if I ever have the chance to try, amphetamine type stimulants, I would only ever take them orally and I will never re-dose on the same day. as you seem to be an experienced stimulant user, if I stick to my plan, is it easy to avoid getting into binge cycles. I know psychological dependence with any doses is possible, but let’s assume I only ever took between 10 and 20 mg of amphetamine in a given day orally. is it likely I will start having urges to take more or to start taking it via different routes?
Sorry for all the questions, I’m just extremely curious
No. Not likely but it depends on the person. I’m just fucked up.

I got a serious fucking problem with these stims. Good thing only one left.

But not so sure it’s safe to take more so why the hell did I…I guess with probability it’s probably safe but idk l amp I do t mess with normally. And this is racemic amp.

Idk it’s like it almost takes you there but them stops just before so it makes me want to dose more but that doesn’t work because it’s a slow released formulation. Idk my mind clouded

I got a serious fucking problem with these stims. Good thing only one left.

But not so sure it’s safe to take more so why the hell did I…I guess with probability it’s probably safe but idk l amp I do t mess with normally. And this is racemic amp.

Idk it’s like it almost takes you there but them stops just before so it makes me want to dose more but that doesn’t work because it’s a slow released formulation. Idk my mind clouded
I really want to drink a c4 energy drink but likely not a great idea. Sto it has l tyrosine and it will wake me the fuck up. I’m guessing it’s too risky tho co Sri g the amount I’m on