• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Chasing the feeling of first love

You could have an affair with her. Have kids, have a wife, all that, but, why would you think that having that would be "enough". It's an institution, human construction.

I'm just saying that, you should not think theres anything wrong with you. Your fine, it's everything else that’s fucked

Nothing is better than the exhillerating rush you get from something you love.

If I'm not mistaken, love is a chemical process in the brain.

Indeed, love is said to closely resemble amphetamine and substituted methylenedioxyphenethylamine in effects. No, really :D

This comes as no surprise to me as I would certainly compare my most gut-wrenching relationship, during my last year of high school, to a cross between a very rough amphetamine binge and some sort of evil Ecstasy. Some days, buoyed by some positive interaction by Sweet Pea (I was only creative when feeling sad, sorry), like necking in the car, I felt propelled to galactic heights that made everything so easy as I brimming with self-confidence, physical prowess that was not just imagined, I was better at sports and academic matters even boring subjects like Economics for which I usually had no interest.

Then in the blink of an eye my adored would do something horrible like smile to another guy and I would progressively feel worse and worse just like a stim comedown only far worse as I had no benzo and the dread of impending doom was sprinkling miniature skulls around my heart, which lay near death in a festering cesspool of rotting hopes and putrefying doves, my poor heart mercilessly slain by the Vile Slut of Anaheim, formerly Sweet Pea in a distant former life.

Naturally most days were in-between those extremes but I spent a lot of time chasing the high and dreading the down, which drove me to depression, just like abusing amphetamine could. The rush was fantastic, addicting. The down is something I chose to forget. But I remember it was worse than even cocaine down. After that I chose to have relationships with women that elicited more peaceful feelings, not passion.

Can we delineate the word 'love'.. it seems people are talking about completely different things, which is no surprise given how ambiguous the word is. What I see is people referring to the neurochemical high they get when interacting with a member of the opposite sex and which builds in the short term, which to me, is not love but infatuation. Love is something a lot more long term in my opinion, and also a bit more subtle than short term brain chemistry. You may resonate greatly with a person which gives the illusion of love in the short term, but it's only after the push and pull of a prolonged relationship that you see love, in my opinion.

The title should be "chasing the feeling of first infatuation" or something else.

Ive had a few true movesin my life.... II'm proud to say their memories are irreplaceable..... To find a love like that .... Smiles from deep within....

oh I forgot this thread. Anyway it happened, fell in love again and it was even more intense than first love so... anything is possible <3

Can we delineate the word 'love'.. it seems people are talking about completely different things, which is no surprise given how ambiguous the word is. What I see is people referring to the neurochemical high they get when interacting with a member of the opposite sex and which builds in the short term, which to me, is not love but infatuation. Love is something a lot more long term in my opinion, and also a bit more subtle than short term brain chemistry. You may resonate greatly with a person which gives the illusion of love in the short term, but it's only after the push and pull of a prolonged relationship that you see love, in my opinion.

The title should be "chasing the feeling of first infatuation" or something else.

Absolutely spot on!

Chasing your first feeling of love is like chasing that first good opiate (any drug)high..the first time is always the most intense.thats how I see it..but can you feel it again? sure.it's sad I connect feelings of love with an opiate high

Don't chase let it come to you and it will, when you least expect it.

Romantic love is an interesting topic. I wonder how many people still find it in our modern society. My grandparents were together for over 50 years and their love never seemed to weaken, it kept growing stronger the older they got. They are dead like all of my grandparents though. My guess is not many

There are a lot of theories and general discussion about what is romantic love compared to something else called love. It's a multidimensional concept and that makes it so interesting imo.

the following is from wikipedia:

These are the major theories associated with current research on romantic relationships, especially in the context of positive psychology.

Attachment patterns

As mentioned in the introduction, attachment styles that people develop as children can influence the way that they interact with partners in adult relationships, with secure attachment styles being associated with healthier and more trusting relationships than avoidant or anxious attachment styles. Hazen and Shaver found that adult romantic attachment styles were similar to the categories of secure, avoidant, and anxious that had previously been studied in children’s attachments to their caregivers, demonstrating that attachment styles are stable across the lifespan. Later on, researchers distinguished between dismissive avoidant attachment and fearful avoidant attachment. Others have found that secure adult attachment, leading to the ability for intimacy and confidence in relationship stability, is characterized by low attachment-related anxiety and avoidance, while the fearful style is high on both dimensions, the dismissing style is low on anxiety and high on avoidance, and the preoccupied style is high on anxiety and low on avoidance.

Romantic love definition/operationalization

Singer (1984a, 1984b, 1987) first defined love based on four Greek terms: eros, meaning the search for beauty; philia, the feelings of affection in close friendships, nomos, the submission of and obedience to higher or divine powers, and agape, the bestowal of love and affection for the divine powers. While Singer did believe that love was important to world culture, he did not believe that romantic love played a major role (Singer, 1987). However, Susan Hendrick and Clyde Hendrick at Texas Tech University (1992, 2009) have theorized that romantic love will play an increasingly important cultural role in the future, as it is considered an important part of living a fulfilling life. They also theorized that love in long-term romantic relationships has only been the product of cultural forces that came to fruition within the past 300 years. By cultural forces, they mean the increasing prevalence of individualistic ideologies, which are the result of an inward shift of many cultural worldviews.

Passionate and companionate love

Researchers have determined that romantic love is a complex emotion that can be divided into either passionate or companionate forms. Berscheid and Walster ( 1978 ) and Hatfield ( 1988 ) found that these two forms can co-exist, either simultaneously or intermittently. Passionate love is an arousal-driven emotion that often gives people extreme feelings of happiness, and can also give people feelings of anguish. Companionate love is a form that creates a steadfast bond between two people, and gives people feelings of peace. Scientists have described the stage of passionate love as "being on cocaine," since during that stage the brain releases the same neurotransmitter, dopamine, as when cocaine is being used. It is also estimated that passionate love lasts for about twelve to eighteen months. Psychologist, Robert Firestone, has a theory of the fantasy bond, which is what is mostly created after the passionate love has faded. A couple may start to feel really comfortable with each other to the point that they see each other as simply companions or protectors, but yet think that they are still in love with each other. The results to the fantasy bond is the leading to companionate love. Hendrick and Hendrick (1995) studied college students who were in the early stages of a relationship and found that almost half reported that their significant other was their closest friend, providing evidence that both passionate and companionate love exist in new relationships. Conversely, in a study of long-term marriages, researchers (Contreras, Hendrick, and Hendrick, 1996) found that couples endorsed measures of both companionate love and passionate love and that passionate love was the strongest predictor of marital satisfaction, showing that both types of love can endure throughout the years.

The triangular theory of love

Psychologist Robert Sternberg (1986) developed the triangular theory of love. He theorized that love is a combination of three main components: passion (physical arousal); intimacy (psychological feelings of closeness); and commitment (the sustaining of a relationship). He also theorized that the different combinations of these three components could yield up to seven different forms of love. These include popularized forms such as romantic love (intimacy and passion) and consummate love (passion, intimacy, and commitment). The other forms are liking (intimacy), companionate love (intimacy and commitment), empty love (commitment), fatuous love (passion and commitment), and infatuation (passion). Studies on Sternberg’s theory love found that intimacy most strongly predicted marital satisfaction in married couples, with passion also being an important predictor (Silberman, 1995). On the other hand, Acker and Davis (1992) found that commitment was the strongest predictor of relationship satisfaction, especially for long-term relationships.

The self-expansion theory of romantic love

Researchers Arthur and Elaine Aron (1986) theorized that humans have a basic drive to expand their self-concepts. Further, their experience with Eastern concepts of love caused them to believe that positive emotions, cognitions, and relationships in romantic behaviors all drive the expansion of a person’s self-concept. A study following college students for 10 weeks showed that those students who fell in love over the course of the investigation reported higher feelings of self-esteem and self efficacy than those who did not (Aron, Paris, and Aron, 1995).

Mindful relationships

Harvey and Ormarzu (1997) developed a model of minding relationships with five key components: seeking to know and be known by the other; using knowledge learned in a relationship to enhance the relationship; accepting the other person; being motivated to continue this process of learning, enhancing, and accepting; and developing a sense of appreciation in the relationship. Each of these components is considered adaptive, however, nonadaptive steps to minding a relationship were also theorized by the research team. The five nonadaptive components include: one or both partners out of step in seeking to know and be known by the other; not using the knowledge learned in a relationship to enhance the relationship (or using that knowledge to hurt the other); low acceptance and respect for the other person; not being motivated to continue the process of learning, enhancing, and accepting; and failing to develop a sense of appreciation in a relationship. Gottman studies the components of a flourishing romantic relationship have been studied in the lab (1994; Gottman & Silver, 1999). He used physiological and behavioral measures during couples’ interactions to predict relationship success and found that five positive interactions to one negative interaction are needed to maintain a healthy relationship. He established a therapy intervention for couples that focused on civil forms of disapproval, a culture of appreciation, acceptance of responsibility for problems, and self-soothing (Gottman, Driver, & Tabares, 2002).

Relationship behaviors

The most recent research on romantic love and relationships focuses on behaviors that either sustain a relationship or aid in its dissolution. These behaviors can be considered either appetitive or aversive. Appetitive relationship processes are considered the promotion of positive relationship behaviors, as determined by psychologists Gable and Reis (2001, 2003). Aversive relationship processes are described as eliminating behaviors that have a negative effect on relationships (Gable and Reis 2001,[61] 2003). This new research has also allowed relationship success to be predicted as a function of these appetitive and aversive processes. This is all related to research that shows that sharing positive life events with one’s partner is related to greater relationship satisfaction and intimacy (Gable et al., 2004). In research by Gable et al. (2003) appetitive (promotion of positive relationship behaviors) and aversive (elimination of negative relationship behaviors) processes are independent constructs. A specific type of appetitive processing, capitalization, leads to increased relationship satisfaction and intimacy when one member of the relationship tells the other about positive life events and receive quality reactions and feedback from the partner (Gable, Reis, Impett, & Asher, 2004).

Last edited: