Charged with Possesion & Paraphernalia... Advice?

I don't have the attention span to read every response, so if I'm being redunant, just ignore.

I was charged with felony possession and 2 misdemeanor paraphenalia. I got a lawyer (a pretty expensive one at that, though not very good). It was my first ever offense and I had to go to court in a county VERY VERY VERY tough on drug crimes. My first court date was a continuance and the second I was sentence. The States Attorney dropped the two misdemenors and I received 24 months of probation (I go meet with the PO once a month. That is the only day it is possible I will be dropped. I don't call in and they don't call me). I also received 40 hours of community service and about $2000 in fines. If I successfully complete probo I can get my felony expunged from my record (which is awesome cause you gotta report those things on applications for 7 years otherwise)

This is in Illinois mind you, and every state has different laws and every case is different. But, hopefully my story can give you an idea of what can happen.

Oh, my possession was also for heroin.

I just got back from my pre-trial. I'm happy to say it went very well.

Basically, what I had done since I met with the lawyer was this:
-I solicited two letters of recommendation, only saying that they were for college applications and scholarships (which is partly true; I will be using them for that as well). One from my employer which was very favorable and another from my BoyScout Scoutmaster which was extremely favorable.

-I took a urine test a few days ago (a 10-drug screen) just to prove that I wasn't still using.

-I also provided my lawyer with a copy of my transcript, showing my 3.6 GPA (3.99 weighted), a copy of my most-recent performance evaluation at work (on which I was scored a 37/40, oustanding), as well as a copy of a certificate I received from attending a leadership training camp through Scouts. Oh yeah, and my mom gave him the card from a counselor I began seeing, showing that we are taking initiative to help my "problem."

When we got to the courthouse, the lawyer showed up and we talked for a minute. He then proceeded into the back and apparently showed the prosecutor and magistrate all the letters and forms and stuff on my behalf. After an eternity (probably 30 minutes) he returned and said he had good and bad news.

He said that they were willing to drop the paraphernalia (Misdemeanor class 4). I would still be charged with the possession of marijuana, which is not a crime but is a criminal act (wtf?). I would lose my license for 30 days, I would be given 20 hours of community service, fined $45 for the possession, and ordered to complete an online "Marijuana 101" course costing an additional $60.

I was extremely pleased with this outcome. It seems like a very good deal.

However, the lawyer proceeded to tell me that there were two people that the prosecutors really did not like in this case. The first was obviously the person I referred to as D in the original story because he has had numerous previous problems with the court (I'm talking 3 theft charges, 3 or 4 drug charges, grand theft auto, etc). I expected the second to be myself because I was the driver.

The second was C, the one who wasn't even in the car at the time of arrest. They said that they wanted to know what I knew about him. It seems like they were trying to get me to rat him out. My lawyer said "What do you know about C?"

I told my lawyer that he had previously smoked marijuana but not regularly or heavily, and only a few times before. I also said that he was a very good kid and that he was probably the most innocent out of all of us. My lawyer basically told me to cut the bull shit... but I really had nothing more to say. I think the prosecutor wanted to hear that Scott knew just as well as us in the car that we were smoking and that D had the marijuana. I stuck by my statement that C did not know and had no way of knowing.

We then all proceeded into a small room with the Magistrate's desk and the two tables, one for me and my attorney and one for the prosecutor.
Basically the magistrate woman or whomever she was entered the room and explained what was happening and asked if I understood. I accepted the possession charge.

She then asked me "So, what happened?"
The question seemed extremely vague and I did not know what to say really... So I started at the beginning. I explained everything from the time I arrived at C's house to hang out to when we were shoved into the back of the cop cars... I kept talking without interruption until my attorney stopped me, lol.

Then the magistrate/judge asked my parents if there had been consequences at home. They told her that my phone had been taken, my internet had been taken, my driving had been restricted to only work and stuff, grounding, and a couple other things. The judge said she appreciated them taking control over the situation because she sees a lot of parents that don't do anything and expect the punishment to come solely from the court.

She then asked me if there was anything I wanted to say. My attorney had whispered a few things in my ear previously that I had a hard time hearing due first to nervousness and second he was WHISPERING as in I couldn't hear him well. Anyway I told the judge that I had learned a lot. I can't be smoking marijuana when I have such a bright future ahead of me. I realize now that my actions can have severe consequences and I can't just do anything I want. I said I learned that I should be hanging around people with good character and not those who are going to influence me negatively and get me into trouble.

God dammit I am good at winging it. Thank God for that. Actually I thank myself.

Anyway, the attorney informed me that I had basically agreed to testify what I had said to him about C. C is denying he had any knowledge of the drugs and that he did not use marijuana. I'm not about to fuck over my best friend. As far as anyone is concerned, he had no knowledge of or intention of using the drugs.

Anyway, I just thought I'd write this last update of my case. I still have to show up for C's court, testify, and after that it will all be over.

I am extremely fortunate with this outcome. I don't know whether to thank myself for having such a good reputation, my lawyer, both, or just luck in general. I hope that my story can help anyone else out there caught up in this shit-of-a-court-system we have. Don't lose hope; don't give in. Do everything you can to prove that you are worth your weight in society. That's ultimately what helped me... the letters, good grades, evaluations, etc.

Total cost: $1,145. Or something around that. Not bad. Thanks for all your help, everyone.

Well, fuck. I just sat here, typed a big long thing, and tried to post it. Said I followed an invalid link or something. Lost it all. Fuck.

Long story short: I got letters of recommendation, showed my good grades, showed a lot of different stuff, and they definitely helped.

I got the paraphernalia dropped and was charged with possession, which is a minor misdemeanor and not technically a crime. I also had my lisence suspended for 30 days, got 20 hours of community service, a $45 fine, and I have to take an online "Marijuana 101" course.

All in all, I'd say I got off with next to nothing. C is still going to court, and in fact the prosecutor actually tried to get me to rat him out. My lawyer asked me what I knew about C and I told him that he was not a regular marijuana user and that he had no knowledge of the drugs and no intention of using the drugs. I'm sure my attorney didn't believe me, but I'm not about to fuck over my best friend.

I'm pretty lucky. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

^ I apologize for us taking so long to see your posts, orangelicker.