• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cats Claw's effects on Methadone

Papaverace said:
As for grapefruitjuice, it works but ONLY with methadone in my opinion. I have never felt anything with the other opoids. Better still is of course higher alkaline ph in the urine. And that is proven scientifically.But the only things that will happen is that the methadone is LONGER in your system. You will not feel more euphoric. As for cats claw...To really judge cats claw the more ppl use it the better I guess. I am not sure that it's not a coincidence that I feel almost overmedicated right now.

That's incorrect. Actually, grapefruit juice DECREASES the effects of methadone.

And just for the record, a little explanation as to why this is true: Grapefruit juice (or any citrus fruit juice) contains relatively high levels of organic acids (not just vitamin C. In fact, vitamin C is only a minor consideration as it's mostly present as the unionized form), such as citric and tartaric acid (and a few others). These encourage the equilibrium between methadone in its ionized and unionized form towards the ionized form (eg methadone citrate), and in the ionized state, the body excretes more of the methadone into the urine.

Basically your dose turns into piss.

Beans said:
That's incorrect. Actually, grapefruit juice DECREASES the effects of methadone.

Then why can you read on the most serious websites that Grapefruit Juice can potentiate Methadone by inhibiting CYP3A4, which metabolizes Methadone to inactive metabolites?

jasoncrest said:
Then why can you read on the most serious websites that Grapefruit Juice can potentiate Methadone by inhibiting CYP3A4, which metabolizes Methadone to inactive metabolites?

Oh, no doubt you're correct with saying that, the inhibition of CYP3A4 DOES help with potentiation (mainly the length of the "high"), but on the other hand, the high levels of organic acids are also working against the potentiation, so who knows whether it's enough to reverse the effect of inhibiting CYP3A4. I know its either fast or one of the other OD admins who actually discussed this in another thread.

Just use cimetide (sp?), it's proven to work and you won't end up pissing out your dose.

Beans said:
Oh, no doubt you're correct with saying that, the inhibition of CYP3A4 DOES help with potentiation (mainly the length of the "high"), but on the other hand, the high levels of organic acids are also working against the potentiation, so who knows whether it's enough to reverse the effect of inhibiting CYP3A4. I know its either fast or one of the other OD admins who actually discussed this in another thread.

The acidification from weak acids like those in grapefruit juice is minimal when considering typical strong acids already in your stomach. I really couldn't fathom a major difference in ionized/deionized ratio in the GI and therefore absorbtion. I think you should be worrying about once it is in your bloodstream (at a contstant ph) and liver enzyme metabolism (exactly what the other poster says is more important). I would definately agree cyp inhib would be the dominating process here.

It's all very well to talk about what amazing potential Cat's Claw has, but unless we have a decent amount of feedback on its effects then we won't get anywhere. Has anyone taken Cat's Claw with methadone since this thread was last updated?

i'd be willing to try it. heres some background: right now i'm at a dose of 65mg and that gets me through the day with a little bit of a buzz feeling.. (eg. kind of a cross between slightly drowzy and like having a little extra bounce in my step compared to being normally a depressed person. if that makes sense. its nothing like an opiate high but it definitely feels like a good energy flowing through me) that feeling starts about 2 hours after my dose and lasts about 6-8 hours, then i just feel normal. when i wake up the next day i want my next drink and if i have to wait a few hours extra to get that drink i start noticing anxiety and cold sweats and weakness.. i dunno if thats withdrawls starting or just me being over anxious. that happens only on the 1 day of the weeek when i have to go to the clinic to get my dose and carries and i actually have to wait about 6 hours longer before i can get a ride to the clinic to get my dose. sometimes on that day i drink a little extra out of one of my bottles and the effects i notice are mainly extra drowsiness not extra euphoria as well as i dont feel as in need when i wake the next day for my dose. i've been at 65mg for 8 months now. the 12 months before that i had gone up to 80 and then back down to 65. if i wanted more meth so i could get a better buzz i'd just get my doc to up my dose again but i know all it will do is make me more drowzy. so i'm wondering will this cats claw if it works at all, just increase drowsiness, or will it increase euphoria or will it just lengthen the duration of the drug in my body, or all of the above or a combination?

is the stuff cheap? can it be obtained at a pharmacy or head shop or online or something? legally i guess is what i mean.. and should it be taken in a pure form or in some sort of pill in which it is contained along with other herbs/chemicals/fillers? pm me if you like

Survival0200 said:
What are the effects of real cat's claws when on methadone? =D
Hahahahahahahahahahahh!!! Ahahahahahahahah! Ahh... ahhh.

xor: there is no way you are withdrawling from just waiting 6 hours more then you usually have to, to dose the next day. Methadone can hold people for 36 hours from their previous dose. I've skipped a whole day of dosing a number of times and was fine...and i'm at 300mg a day.
As far as the effects of cat's claw. Yes it will probably make you more drowsy if anything. Most opiate addicts assotiate this drowsy feeling with euphoria and as euphoria. As far as obtaining it. Ever hear of a search engine?

Anyways: I'll get some cat'sclaw soon and report on the worthlessness of it :\

DexterMeth said:
Anyways: I'll get some cat'sclaw soon and report on the worthlessness of it :\
with an attitude like that, I think you can expect some reverse placebo!

After seeing this post last night and being on methadone...well my 3rd week on the stuff, up to 55....ran out and got some of this stuff..1000mg tabs, necked 3 of em after dosing 20ml of my dose ( i split dose for working for the minute )...felt the done lasting more, well the kind of "peak" when your feeling it most lasted for longer..same with tonight when i took my 35 i am def feeling it more than usual ( ive had a pretty big toke up though as well :) )....I will let you all know how i get on on it...anyone got any dosage ideas? the 3 or 4 tabs everytime i dose is working alright...see how it goes.

Depone said:
After seeing this post last night and being on methadone...well my 3rd week on the stuff, up to 55....ran out and got some of this stuff..1000mg tabs, necked 3 of em after dosing 20ml of my dose ( i split dose for working for the minute )...felt the done lasting more, well the kind of "peak" when your feeling it most lasted for longer..same with tonight when i took my 35 i am def feeling it more than usual ( ive had a pretty big toke up though as well :) )....I will let you all know how i get on on it...anyone got any dosage ideas? the 3 or 4 tabs everytime i dose is working alright...see how it goes.
I think the greatest measure of the effects of cats claw on methadone would be with people like yourself on long term maintenance. You know your dose, and you know how long it takes off the done until you go into w/d. No one likes to experiment with w/d's but if you are low on done and have to extend your stash you should expiriment and share your results. That goes out to all those on long-term done maintenance

if you're mainly talking to people on long term MMT, then why do you mention "running out". You DON'T run out of methadone when you're on maintinence. I'm 100% positive you know all this and that so I'll spare everyone the lecture ,I'm probably just misunderstanding something.....anyways, like I said yesterday, I'll give it a shot soon (no pun intended :\) and report back on the effects. I've been on MMT for about 3 months now.

DexterMeth said:
if you're mainly talking to people on long term MMT, then why do you mention "running out". You DON'T run out of methadone when you're on maintinence. I'm 100% positive you know all this and that so I'll spare everyone the lecture ,I'm probably just misunderstanding something.....anyways, like I said yesterday, I'll give it a shot soon (no pun intended :\) and report back on the effects. I've been on MMT for about 3 months now.
Maybe long term maintenance is the wrong way to say it. What I mean is people who use done on a daily basis at a steady dose and have addiction (whether on a maintenance program or not) and w/d upon cessation.

Sorry for the confussion, I know people who perform a sort of "self-maintenance" by finding a steady source of done and using it to get off dope (usually supplied by a close friend who has either quit alltogether or went back to the dope and continues on done). Maintenance programs around here seem to not monitor their patients as well as they should. Anyways, these sources sometimes run out and leave addicts in tough situations (as described by the above poster). Out of curiousity Dexter how long until your last dose of methadone do you start to experience w/d?

Some clinics actually run out of methadone? Are you kidding me? That's utterly rediculous if so. I mean, it's a legal program. All they have to do is order more than the last time they ran out. There is no reason a clinic should ever run out of supplies.. Unless it gets robbed, and the perpetrators fill a whole van up with bottles.

To answer your question. I've never gone more than 30 hours not dosing. At that point I start getting some minor cramping, and small amounts of muscle pain in my legs. The night before insomnia can really kick in too. But sometimes it's not a problem at all. If you want to play it safe though, you just sleep all you can during the day so you aren't dead tired the next day. It's kind of nice to skip a day every now and then, because you feel your next dose a lot more then. It's a nice little treat. For people that sometimes double dose. (Skip a dose on one of your take home days, then double dose a day or 2 after)...You get really fucked up. Too fucked up for some people. If you don't skip a day when you double dose, you'll probably be dissapointed. I don't know...I'm pretty messed up today, since I skipped a day..I'm more messed up then when I double dosed without skipping a day a couple days ago.

DexterMeth said:
Some clinics actually run out of methadone? Are you kidding me? That's utterly rediculous if so. I mean, it's a legal program. All they have to do is order more than the last time they ran out. There is no reason a clinic should ever run out of supplies.. Unless it gets robbed, and the perpetrators fill a whole van up with bottles.
sorry, rereading my post I see that it is unclear again. I am not saying the clinics run out, I am saying the guy these people are getting them from (black market) no longer chooses to sell them or stops getting them or moves something like that. Rare disturbances that can leave you with no opiates (and alot of times only heroin to get you by).

But more on topic maybe on the days before you skip you can add some cats claw into your gameplan and see if it holds off w/d's a bit more. Then maybe try it when you double dose and see if you have a better high. Do you have any on hand? or plan to try it?

I'm very ineterested in hearing it's possible effects. It should also boost ones immune system, huh?