• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Can't smoke weed anymore - is LSD a good idea?

AnanasBannana

Bluelighter
Hey guys, first post. Been a huge lurker for ages but couldn't find a good answer to my current issue!

I used to smoke A LOT of weed quite a long time ago (lived in Amsterdam) and never really had any problems with it.

About three months ago I had a 12 hour long MDMA (And probably speed, but I didn't realise it at the time) binge. When I was coming down, I smoked a joint and was suddenly massively tachycardic, huge paranoia and a panic attack - actually got an ambulance because I thought I was having a heart attack.

Anyway, since then, weed has been horrible; massive shivers, paranoia, racing heartbeat, cotton mouth. Oddly, I took an Ectasy pill since and was totally fine.

Thing is, I really want to try LSD; but I'm concerned about having a similarly bad trip x100.

Does anyone here have problems with weed but can manage LSD?

I always kind of those LSD reminded me of a more clear, stimulating, functional, yet marijuana feeling high. Its hard to put into words but i really enjoy the feeling weed gives me and when i was younger, about 10 years ago now, i would often say "it feels like being me to the 10th power" I get all of the rational thought processes of being me coupled with this unique abstract mind set so i was able to formulate ideas better. But i know other people dont get the same level of clarity on it that i do.

I would say if for some reason you can not handle the "psychedelic mind state" that is forced by true psychedelics, so they all create an over awareness of body an over active brain but lack the "forced happiness" that MDMA causes then you should not take traditional psychedelics. Honestly i think acid might be too much of a "mental game" if you have hang ups about getting stoned especially if it causes stress and paranoia. I would recommend sticking with mdma at least at this phase of your life, things change and you might get more comfortable.

If it wasnt so rare i would say mescaline is a great in between because it does create pleasant feelings along with a lesser psychedelic component. If you insist you can always try really low dosing and go up.

My advice is to stay away from it.Very powerful stuff and all kinds of things come to the surface on LSD.Weed is mild compared to Lucy.Practice Meditation, and when you can control your mind, LSD will be manageable.My daughter has panic attacks on weed, and I would never recommend LSD for her.A mild dose of Shrooms[2-3 grams dried] was a better choice for her.

Weed causes greater paranoia, but won't make you feel intense kinds of crazy like acid. Its incredibly hard to compare the 2, but I can totally go through my day on half or quarter a dose of L, i find it can improve some days greatly. But if i smoke a small bowl before class i will get stupid paranoid and leave.
Everyone's different man, so there's no knowing til you try. That being said always start small.
There always more acid, but you only get one sanity

Marijuana is more anxiogenic in general, but you should be able to work through it eventually. Do you have any benzos or sedatives for if the trip gets rough?

Nah, LSD and cannabinoids have nothing in common pharmacologically. Many people that can't manage weed and cannabinoids can trip with out problems on LSD and other psychedelics, like tryptamines and phenethylamines.

Nah, LSD and cannabinoids have nothing in common pharmacologically. Many people that can't manage weed and cannabinoids can trip with out problems on LSD and other psychedelics, like tryptamines and phenethylamines.

Yep, exactly this.
I would say tread with caution, but i've known plenty of trippers that hate cannabis.

As has already been said, the two are nothing alike. Though a lot of people like to add cannabis to everything, including their LSD high. Most of my psych using friends do that because it potentiates the high. I rolled with that concept for a long time until eventually I realized that a good LSD trip is just fine on its own and cannabis doesn't add anything to it.

I outgrew cannabis a couple years ago, which sort of coincided with my heavier psychedelic use. I just don't like the brain fog that cannabis causes, or the hang over.

A good afghan hash though, I could go for that.

Yep, exactly this.
I would say tread with caution, but i've known plenty of trippers that hate cannabis.

I concur. I personally can't stand weed (it gives me extreme panic attacks from hell) but I trip a lot.

Should you trip out? I honestly don't know. I don't know you. I'd be very careful and have some benzos on hand if you decide to, but don't expect it to be anything like weed or Mdma.

Hm, really interesting. Thanks guys.

In terms of coming back from anxiety, weed probably makes me too stupid to help myself (at high doses).

Would you consider yourself to be stupid on LSD, does it fog your mind basically?

Would you consider yourself to be stupid on LSD, does it fog your mind basically?

No not really, cannabis definitly "fogs your mind" in a way that no other psychedelic does (I'm talking about psychedelics in general, not so much LSD in particular). I do see cannabis as a psychedelic, although a very atypical one, so it's really impossible for me to tell if the aspect you didn't like about cannabis was one that it shares with other psychedelics or if it was precisely that aspect that is unique to cannabis.

I personally very much like cannabis as well as (other) psychedelics, and especially the combination of both, but I also know people who like psychedelics but not cannabis and vice versa.

If you have any question as to whether or not u should do LSD then I wouldn't do it if I were u. Your probably gonna panic on the comeup and that's gonna fuck the whole trip up! I used to trip and I could handle it just fine, but after a bad experience with shrooms I just can't handle it anymore. Everytime I've tripped since then I've overthought about that time I had the bad shroom trip which led me to have more bad trips. I don't think u can compare weed to LSD, it's a whole different ball game in a different stadium with the wrong shaped field for the game ur playing. Just my opinion.
Were all different and we all react differently to substances. If u end up trying it out I wish u the best bro! I really hope u don't go through what I've gone through with the bad trips cause there's no scarier feeling in the world. Good luck and god bless!

If you have any question as to whether or not u should do LSD then I wouldn't do it if I were u.

I guess you have a point, but this sentence just really rubbed me wrong. I think it's the other way around: Anybody who plans to try a psychedelic and *doesn't* ask himself at some point "Could this be a really bad idea?" has not grasped the seriousness of what he is about to do.

This has just been my experience with psychadelics. Right or wrong this is how it works for me, were all different.

I guess you have a point, but this sentence just really rubbed me wrong. I think it's the other way around: Anybody who plans to try a psychedelic and *doesn't* ask himself at some point "Could this be a really bad idea?" has not grasped the seriousness of what he is about to do.

I wasn't stressed out or remotely worried before taking the weed, i am 100% comfortable with it. About 20 minutes after smoking a full blunt, I start shivering and thinking hugely paranoid thoughts. It's like smoking weed triggers some sort of PTSD or something.

I feel like if I was more clear headed I would be able to meditate myself out of a bad trip.

I guess I have to clarify what I meant. When I take a psychedelic (other than cannabis), even after years of doing so, I still get weak knees, a funny feeling in my stomach and thoughts like "is this really a good idea?" right before ingesting the substance. I think this is totally normal when dealing with substances that have the potential to make you question everything you have percieved as "reality" for your whole life. And, especially thinking of somebody who takes a psychedelic for the first time, I think one should feel like that. If I was talking to somebody who was planning on taking a psychedelic for the first time and they were indicating they have no doubts at all and are 100% sure that they really want to make this experience, I would find that very worrisome and would probably assume that they haven't researched these substances enough to understand all the implications such an experience entails. I would much rather hear something like "I know this could turn into a bad/difficult/terrifying experience, BUT I am willing to take that risk."

Cliffy78, I'm not sure if we were talking about the same thing. We have to differentiate between the exact moment in which somebody is about to ingest a psychedelic on the one hand, and on the other hand the long amount of time (months or even years) between the first thought of "I might want to try a psychedelic one day." and the day when it actually is about to happen. But in both cases I stand by my point that it is totally normal, expected (and I would add even necessary) to have *some* amount of doubt. Having doubts doesn't automatically mean you shouldn't do it, but you have to seriously ask yourself if you think that it is worth the risk. Obviously to you it's not, and to me (up until this point) it is. AnanasBannana will have to make his/her own decision.

AnanasBannana, I'm fully aware of the phenomenon you describe. I have a few friends who have experienced panic attacks after smoking cannabis, worrying about one's heart rate seems to be pretty common. Some of these friends have managed to enjoy cannabis again after that, overcoming the initial fear they had every time they smoked after that particular incident, others have just stopped smoking cannabis. As I wrote above, just like cannabis other psychedelics have the potential to induce panic attacks. Nobody can really tell you whether what caused your panic attack was something that cannabis has in common with other psychedelics or if it was something that is unique to cannabis, that other psychedelics don't have at all. Since I never had that much of a problem with cannabis-induced panic attacks I can't really say how much of a role that "fogginess" plays that is pretty unique to cannabis. In the end you really have to decide for yourself if you think that it is worth the risk. If you decide to try LSD for example, I would definitely start with a low dose.

Edit:
In terms of coming back from anxiety, weed probably makes me too stupid to help myself (at high doses).

That "fogginess" is pretty unique to cannabis, but I think high doses can be quite similar to the classic psychedelics in some ways. In my experience for example not realizing the impact of the setting at the time, e.g. feeling shitty for half an hour and only then realizing that it is just the music pissing you off. I don't experience much anxiety on either but I would guess letting go of it isn't necessesarily easier on classic psychedelics than on cannabis.

Last edited:
AnanasBannana I wouldn't experiment with psychedelics if you have any schizophrenic illness in your family blood line, including uncles,aunts ect. You may have to do some family research but many psychedelic casualties were blamed on the drug, when the real reason was otherwise genetic predispositions.

Weed gives me palpitations, even in tiny amounts. But lots of shit gives me palpitations. Bizarrely not MDMA though.

I'm definitely going to go through with this.

In terms of dosage, should I start out with 100mg, or less? Or would I be better off using shrooms or maybe even mixing shrooms with MDMA?