• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

cant find new veins to IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant seem to post, its asking for prefix but there is no where to set a prefix? So here it goes.. i hope someone can answer, this is very important..

My bestfriend (a girl) has been drinking a lot of water last days, and just yesterday she suddenly saw an new vein. To be honest, all she saw was a tiny spot of something blue on the far west side on my west elbow(in the 'middle' of the elbow crook and the actual elbow)
It worked, she didnt missed it or didnt bruse up! ..but today she couldnt see it no more, or even where she had put the needle in..

She have used in around 9 years,with a 4 mnth 'break' in there. She is a girl at 27 years. Her veins has never been something she could be proud of, but they have worked. Have had a lot of misses and a LOT of loooong days where she's been sitting for 8 hours at the most. the last years she have plugged her dose when it has gone around 3 hours, it works but she says it just feels wrong(?)

She have used one vein in the left elbow crook, the right one does not have any visible veins - she found a second vein in her left crook some years ago but it got used up SO fast. She have used every vein on the hands and the outter side of the wrist, the inside(against my body) on both does not exist, if she do find it ,she only miss and it becomes blue and swollen. maybe its an artery? She's been using the other veins on the forearm, the large one from wrist up to elbow crook does have huuge track marks on both sides. They are useless. She have used up her foot veins and ankle veins, a few of them is left but really wobbly and are rolling.
Also used the few around the knee and lower thigh. They do bruses up and are hard to keep steady, so she have missed sometimes there too.
Also used up the veins on the other side of my knee. Oh, and as i said she could find the one vein on the left side of left elbow this one time.. she was so happy. Didnt even bruse up! But that was yesterday.. today she actually could hit one really rolling vein at the ankle, which works from time to time.

Just to inform :
She is Norwegian, and needle exchange and everyone around her all these years have ONLY used 0,40x12mm and 0,50x16mm needles, needle exchange only gives out these, they are 25G and 26G. Actually was a bit shocked when ive read online, where it seems like everyone in US uses 30G needles?! And 31G? I saw those insuline syringes online,but they are really expensive.. maybe worth it? She did got a hold on one packages of 30G yellow 0,3x13mm needle, they clogged up fast but when they worked they didnt even leave a mark! Loved it! She have 4 pharmacies around in town, but no-one has had these the last 5mnths, and she have asked every second week. She feel so lost. She now have the 26G and is using them for now.

My plea for her goes out to everyone who reads this and maybe had the same issues.. we KNOW there's more veins inside her body.. we just KNOW it is!
She do have some left on my foot.. but, they roll, have manage to hit them a couple of times but they usually roll away.

We have read a lot online, and she have tried to hold them with my fingers, and stretch out on the sides so it flattend out, but still cant get them.
She has been drinking a lot of water to stay hydrated, she uses a medical tourniquet(always!) from the hospital, and she use NEW NEEDLES(always!), she use what we called in Norway 'hot water bottle', its a gummy- made kind of pillow you can fill with hot water (its common to use it when your sick) and it stays warm a long time, i actually recommend it!, and she use gravity when its possible, and try palpate both the rolling veins and where she hope it is a vein.

Is it any veins she can have overlooked? Is it anything she can do to hit her rolling veins? Is it possible to find the veins she cant see or feel, but who she know is there somewhere..?

Please dont give any moral to help her, she know she need help through rehab again, but thats not what she need to hear. She know she should quit the needles but no matter how many times you write it, she will still try to find my veins today.. all she need is some tips to not hurt herself too much, and i would really appreciate it, so do she. Please understand.
In advance.. thank you so much: )
Peace!

The link posted above on IV complications v. I want blood covers everything really well along with googling vein anatomy images online. I too agree that not everyone is cut out for this ROA and phlebotomy/admin is a skill. To continue to pursue this ROA without that skill is reckless and can cause serious damage to critical vessels and appendages. IMO sterile technique can be improved upon with most users. Simply having the basics down is great but to take the extra steps is invaluable in the long run. Also, reading someone else's writing in anything other than 1st person is extraordinarily annoying and futile. Own what you are and what you do like everyone else on these boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.