• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Cannabis making me depressed?

I read this study year or two ago that stated that short-term THC use (few weeks) did not have effect to neurogenesis in rats, but long-term THC use (few months) did have negative effect on neurogenesis. This negative effect on neurogenesis did not happen to rats that got both THC and CBD.

While I have heard that association between neurogenesis and depression has been questioned, I think this is very valuable thing to consider.

Could you link that study please? That sounds absolutely fascinating to me.

As I get older I’m noticing as my cannabis use increases so does my depression. I’ve been trying to cut back, somewhat successfully, but it’s really hard after 20yrs daily use.

-GC

As I get older I’m noticing as my cannabis use increases so does my depression. I’ve been trying to cut back, somewhat successfully, but it’s really hard after 20yrs daily use.

-GC

Yea that was happening to me...it didn't really work the same.... You just gotta stop and then when you come back, don't go back to smoking too often

Nah, that 30 mg edible wasn't enough to push me into psychosis, but it did give me a slight sense of unreality. There was nothing pleasant about it. Kind of an indifferent experience.
I was commenting on parabolan and the 1,000 mg of THC

I have personality disorder that causes hostile cognitions and expressions sometimes, this applies to me also to a degree.

Back when I was reading ocpd tapatalk forum, there was this dude that was in relationship with self-aware (very rare to recognize having OCPD!) OCPD sufferer and they had repeatedly observed their partner was much, much more docile and gentle stoned. They called it almost a miracle.

Weed is fucking godsend to OCPDrs. But even if it doesn't cause debilitating withdrawals, sort of extra crampyness can be observed if daily user is off too long... so it is not perfect miracle.

Weed is pretty much antithesis to features of OCPD.

Thanks for warning about that. I already have to worry about withdrawal, if I use up my hydrocodone too fast.

I'll never try weed to fight depression again. It has been great at getting me to sleep. But maybe I should use it less regularly.

Thanks for warning about that. I already have to worry about withdrawal, if I use up my hydrocodone too fast.

I'll never try weed to fight depression again. It has been great at getting me to sleep. But maybe I should use it less regularly.
Well, you can use weed to fight depression, however you need to get a high CBD low THC strain or a high CBD low THC edible or another high CBD low THC product.

Using cannabis products that have a high CBD to THC ratio, meaning a high percentage of CBD and a low percentage of THC. Actually combats depression caused by using cannabis

I noticed that my brother, who is big into smoking weed, gets morbid and morose when he smokes. He seems better off when he just drinks and isn't sucking on a joint. But he wants that weed. .

I find this interesting. Similarly to G_Chem, Mr. Krinkle and Pissed_and_messed, I find myself very docile.

I may still act in a risky way if I'm looking for an exciting mood, or I may dwell on something negative if my mood was negative to begin with, however the one big emotion that I do not experience stoned is anger.

In fact sometimes I get so disconnected that I'm literally watching things happen/people talk to me without feeling any sort of inclination to do anything, haha, as weird as that sounds. I remember vividly a number of interactions where I simply could not find words.

Last edited:
Nah man. I would have been like six months ago. Now my tolerance is si high that joints and blunts don't get me high anymore.
Tolerance has nothing to do with preventing the development of psychosis. In fact, when tolerance develops to such high levels of THC, that's when psychotic episodes tend to occur.

Tolerance has nothing to do with preventing the development of psychosis. In fact, when tolerance develops to such high levels of THC, that's when psychotic episodes tend to occur.
I'm always on benzos so they usually turn loco down 😄

Actually mixing benzos and large doses of cannabis in particular. THC actually increases the likelihood of a psychotic episode.
Thank God I have never had a full blown one of those before. I have had numerous panic attacks/episodes before though.

Well, you can use weed to fight depression, however you need to get a high CBD low THC strain or a high CBD low THC edible or another high CBD low THC product.

Using cannabis products that have a high CBD to THC ratio, meaning a high percentage of CBD and a low percentage of THC. Actually combats depression caused by using cannabis

That's good information. And thank you for the link.

-GC

It means a lot to me to hear from anyone else about a connection between cannabis and depression.

I find this interesting. Similarly to G_Chem, Mr. Krinkle and Pissed_and_messed, I find myself very docile.

I may still act in a risky way if I'm looking for an exciting mood, or I may dwell on something negative if my mood was negative to begin with, however the one big emotion that I do not experience stoned is anger.

In fact sometimes I get so disconnected that I'm literally watching things happen/people talk to me without feeling any sort of inclination to do anything, haha, as weird as that sounds. I remember vividly a number of interactions where I simply could not find words.

My brother has major issues with anger. So maybe the weed helps him with that.

Though alcohol is associated with disinhibition and violence, I've known a few people who were less angry when drinking.

My brother has major issues with anger. So maybe the weed helps him with that.

Though alcohol is associated with disinhibition and violence, I've known a few people who were less angry when drinking.

That makes sense. Yeah, honestly I haven't quite figured out exactly what all these substances I've used do to my state of mind, but alcohol I do know can make me switch moods fairly quickly.

If your brother was "morbid and morose" (I am not quite sure what that means", that is interesting. To me that means cynical to the point of dark and borderline evil thoughts, and moody or aggressive. Perhaps you used Google translate? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding?

That makes sense. Yeah, honestly I haven't quite figured out exactly what all these substances I've used do to my state of mind, but alcohol I do know can make me switch moods fairly quickly.

If your brother was "morbid and morose" (I am not quite sure what that means", that is interesting. To me that means cynical to the point of dark and borderline evil thoughts, and moody or aggressive. Perhaps you used Google translate? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding?

You've given an excellent description of what I was trying to express. Thanks. You've totally understood me. That's my brother exactly.