• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis for chemotherapy

pozlotus

Greenlighter
Greetings;

This January, 31st, I got the diagnosis of squamous cell carcinoma, which is a recurrence. Since it's a recurrence, we've decided to treat it aggressively.

On March 13th, I will begin chemo and radiation. Each round of treatment will be 5-6 weeks.

I have always heard that cannabis is good for nausea associated with chemoradiation therapy. I also happen to love it. It's been helpful in many ways all my adult life.

Are there other users on bluelight who have had this experience? Even better are there any users who are in the field of oncology?

Reply here or in private, whichever is best for you.

Peace-
pozlotus

Not personally but I know people who used it for same reason and/or in belief it’s beneficial for cancer patients in more than only preventing nausea and at least it didn’t cause harm and at best it really helped a lot.

i have no experience in this field, i have heard it is useful for treating nausea for chemo , my only personal experience with cannabis and nausea is that i suffer with chronic long term migraines and vaping cannabis instantly ends the nausea for me

I have a friend who was struggling in a big way with chemo who found that cannabis edibles completely stopped her nausea...only whan eaten for her
though (smoking or vaping didn't help) and it took her a while to find her optimal dose

All the best mate

Tommy Chong used his own version of RSO up the ol rectum for prostate cancer
Swears it cured it

Not exactly your question/problem but another testimony ...

Some early evidence that THC can actually shrink cancer cells. I sure wouldn't depend on that, but it does treat the side effects of chemo well. So why not use it instead of other anti-nausea meds?

It's not only nausea, it's lack of appetite (related, I guess) which is a killer.

I just got done doing 6 months caregiving for an ex (the first round of chemo, and before relatives could move her to another state) The biggest problem with the chemo was that she did not want to eat. Then, you get weaker, can't recover, and many waste away. It's a big problem. They gave her Megestrol, which is expensive and (more importantly) takes a while to work. A pharmacist at the hospital pharmacy actually suggested Marinol or medical marijuana. Unfortunately, my ex wouldn't consider it.

Some anecdotal evidence. My daughter in law's mother had lung cancer, a difficult one. She used Delta 8 THC to improve appetite and sleep and is in remission now.

Yes I’ve used cannabis for chemotherapy. What would you like to know?

I recommend going for products which talk up their CBG content. RSO is always good, helps with inflammation and keeps the tumors small.

GMO and MAC were two strains I really appreciated during that time. Have some good concentrates for break through nausea.

-GC

I have an aunt with liver cancer (in remission) and when she was doing chemo, edible gummies helped her a TON. She could eat, her mood went up, but then she passed tf not long after lol. I really hope everything goes well for you. Otherwise, you can get a prescription for Zofran, an anti-nausea med. Diphenhydramine is also good for nausea, and never underestimate ginger root. I have Walmart brand ginger root capsules and they've helped me with upset stomach and feeling nauseous many times, especially last May when I had major sinus surgery and just in the first day probably swallowed half a liter of blood (normal to bleed a lot down the throat but I'd been taking aspirin which nobody told me was bad, got no pre-op until 2 days prior telling me I couldn't take aspirin for a week). It was the only NSAID I could stomach at the time with its enteric coating.

Yea ginger and zofran were allies too. Every morning I’d barely get myself into a hot shower and the first thing my wife would bring me was a slice of ginger. I’d just suck on it for awhile and that gave me a small window of opportunity to maybe then eat an edible or tiny bit of food without immediately throwing it back up. Gin gin candies are good too.

Zofran is addictive/habit forming though, I had to literally ween myself off. I noticed psychological symptoms from it too. Only a drug you want to use in circumstances like cancer.

It seems like not the best idea but tiny amounts of capsaicin can help too. TINY amounts. It helped with the stomach pains but if I ate too much I was crying to god on the toilet.

-GC

Some early evidence that THC can actually shrink cancer cells. I sure wouldn't depend on that, but it does treat the side effects of chemo well. So why not use it instead of other anti-nausea meds?

It's not only nausea, it's lack of appetite (related, I guess) which is a killer.

I just got done doing 6 months caregiving for an ex (the first round of chemo, and before relatives could move her to another state) The biggest problem with the chemo was that she did not want to eat. Then, you get weaker, can't recover, and many waste away. It's a big problem. They gave her Megestrol, which is expensive and (more importantly) takes a while to work. A pharmacist at the hospital pharmacy actually suggested Marinol or medical marijuana. Unfortunately, my ex wouldn't consider it.

Some anecdotal evidence. My daughter in law's mother had lung cancer, a difficult one. She used Delta 8 THC to improve appetite and sleep and is in remission now.
I have seen an improvement in appetite.

Yea ginger and zofran were allies too. Every morning I’d barely get myself into a hot shower and the first thing my wife would bring me was a slice of ginger. I’d just suck on it for awhile and that gave me a small window of opportunity to maybe then eat an edible or tiny bit of food without immediately throwing it back up. Gin gin candies are good too.

Zofran is addictive/habit forming though, I had to literally ween myself off. I noticed psychological symptoms from it too. Only a drug you want to use in circumstances like cancer.

It seems like not the best idea but tiny amounts of capsaicin can help too. TINY amounts. It helped with the stomach pains but if I ate too much I was crying to god on the toilet.

-GC
I've already received the odansetron (Zofran). I start chemo in two weeks.

Is cisplatin one of the chemo meds you’ll be getting?

-GC

-GC
I get Zofran for nausea from migraines, but I barely ever touch it. It scares me

Tommy Chong used his own version of RSO up the ol rectum for prostate cancer
Swears it cured it

Not exactly your question/problem but another testimony ...

A neighbor of mine had a lot of success with RSO too. It definitely helped him as he went through treatment

Greetings;

This January, 31st, I got the diagnosis of squamous cell carcinoma, which is a recurrence. Since it's a recurrence, we've decided to treat it aggressively.

On March 13th, I will begin chemo and radiation. Each round of treatment will be 5-6 weeks.

I have always heard that cannabis is good for nausea associated with chemoradiation therapy. I also happen to love it. It's been helpful in many ways all my adult life.

Are there other users on bluelight who have had this experience? Even better are there any users who are in the field of oncology?

Reply here or in private, whichever is best for you.

Peace-
pozlotus
Marijuana certainly is a fantastic drug for chemo. Chemotherapy and AIDS patients in California were some of the first and most vocal advocates for cannabis that led to the states first laws allowing for medicinal marijuana. Even well before widespred approval of medicinal cannabis in the US, the pharmaceutical Dronabinol was approved as a treatment for chemo patients, and to negate the negative effects of certain cancer medications.

-GC
There's actual pscyhoactivity to it? I never really noticed any but I only took it a couple of times. It saved me after sinus surgery last year and hangovers from Phenibut when I was using it in December. Quickly went from "wow this stuff is amazing" to totally hating it.

Between THC &,CBD, they prevent angiogenesis (tumours setting up their own blood supply) and metastasis (spreading to other parts of body). That's why cannabis in conjunction with chemo is so successful (before my mam died of a stroke, the oncologist was gobsmacked that her colon tumour was shrinking so quickly. Being my mam's generation, she didn't want to mention the cannabis I was making up in a capsule for her, every night, to help her sleep).
They effect the CB1xand CB2 receptors in a way that makes the immune system go into overdrive and attack tumours.

Good luck. Add cannabis to whatever the oncologist gives you and your chances of successful treatment are pretty much odds on

Kevin

-GC
Ondansetron is a 5HT3 receptor antagonist and is to reduced nausea/vomiting from chemo, but you have a much better option. Stops nausea, increases appetite and fucks cancer cells, in it's own way. Use cannabis in conjunction with chemo/radiation therapy and I think you'll get a positive result.

Good luck man

Between THC &,CBD, they prevent angiogenesis (tumours setting up their own blood supply) and metastasis (spreading to other parts of body). That's why cannabis in conjunction with chemo is so successful (before my mam died of a stroke, the oncologist was gobsmacked that her colon tumour was shrinking so quickly. Being my mam's generation, she didn't want to mention the cannabis I was making up in a capsule for her, every night, to help her sleep).
They effect the CB1xand CB2 receptors in a way that makes the immune system go into overdrive and attack tumours.

Good luck. Add cannabis to whatever the oncologist gives you and your chances of successful treatment are pretty much odds on

Kevin
I couldn't talk my ex into it, and right now I can't talk my neighbor into it.
She has breast cancer stage one with a very good prognosis, so it's not as critical. Radiation only so far.
She doesn't want to take the Aromatase inhibitors due to side effects (hot flashes, etc).
I've been telling her that I could mix up some CBD with just a dash of THC that she is unlikely to even feel. No dice. I'm glad she will likely be OK anyway since it's usually a very treatable cancer.