• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Cannabis Fatality Verdict Disputed Huffngton Post

... it wouldn't surprise me if she had at least at some point a problem with methadrone and a sweet tooth for mdma. That last part is an assumption and it's sad she passed, it was my brothers friends mother but there is no way it was the weed

I assume you're referring to the drug Mephedrone in this post.

I am in no doubt whatsoever that this poor lady died from something other than cannabis, but surely mephedrone would have shown up in any autopsy?

If she had died from some wierd chemical cannabinoid, surely that would simply have added to the herbal cannabinoids in her system & perhaps result in the high reading..? Perhaps the large amounts of cannabinoids in her system indicate chemical cannabinoid use alongside regular cannabis use..?

UK - Mum-of-three....poisoned to death by cannabis

Pictured: Mum-of-three Gemma Moss is first woman in UK to be poisoned to death by cannabis

Daily Mirror

Jan 30 2014

With reader comments

Gemma believed to have died from cardiac arrest brought on from cannabis poisoning. A mum-of-three is thought to be the first woman in Britain to be poisoned to death by cannabis.

Gemma Moss, 31, collapsed and died after smoking a joint at her home. Tests found nothing wrong with the devout Christian’s vital organs, although it was suggested she may have had a cardiac arrest triggered by the class B drug. A coroner recorded a verdict that Gemma, who had moderate to high levels of the substance in her system, died from cannabis abuse. Her death was registered as cannabis toxicity. The coroner, Sheriff Payne, said: “The postmortem could find no natural cause for her death, with the balance of probability that it is more likely than not that she died from the effects of cannabis.” The inquest heard that Gemma had used the drug for years and had been smoking half a joint at night to help her sleep. She was found unresponsive on her bedroom floor by her 15-year-old son’s girlfriend on the morning of October 29.

More...
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gemma-moss-mum-of-three-first-woman-3094902

It took them three months to come up with that piece of crap. In another similiar thread I mentioned having read that testing on rats showed that the concentrated amount of THC to overdose was equal to a man eating 400 lbs. at once.

Last edited:
This is bullshit. There is no proof of cause and effect. Merely correlation. If I get a chicks number filling up at a gas station, do I go back to the gas station to look for more women? No. Correlation, likely not causation.

It might just be an extremely rare side effect. There's no reason to flip out either way. Every organic substance has severe side effects that are, at least, extremely rare--even your beloved cannabis.

It might just be an extremely rare side effect. There's no reason to flip out either way. Every organic substance has severe side effects that are, at least, extremely rare--even your beloved cannabis.

Or she just had a really weakened heart?

I think I heard of an elderly man dying a couple hours after smoking weed but it was due to the change in blood pressure that triggered a heart attack.
Could happen to anyone at any time, whether you're running, walking, jacking off or smoking weed... :(

what if they found pizza in her body instead of marijuana would they consider that the cause of death?

Yes but extremely rare deaths from any other organic substances don't get full page articles on page three of major national newspapers do they? So until they do, this looks suspiciously like the demonisation of cannabis and you'll have to excuse me while I flip out.

They just want to blame it on the grass so there would finally be a recorded case of death by cannabis. Assholes

QFT. Those asshole cops/dea or whatevr equivelent must have gottin tired of hearing from stoners that weeds never hurt anyone and you can't die of an od. So they made up a fucking cause for a woman's death because she was dead with cannabis in her blood? Hmm is that how it works these days? I thought forensics and post-mortem analysis was pretty modern and since when is it protocol to blame a drug for a death, like yea if a dude is found dead with large amounts of heroin (or anything DEADLY) but really they are pulling from deep in their asses and it's fucking wrong...

The newspaper reports I have read quoted the pathologist as saying:
“The level of cannabinoids in the blood were 0.1 to 0.15 milligrams per litre, this is considered as moderate to heavy cannabis use."

Now, I've read a few papers written on this subject by researchers and that level would be considered extremely high, especially if the post-mortem was carried out several hours after death. Probably 10 times higher than expected. Certainly not "1/2 a joint's" worth. It begs the question whether this pathologist did his job properly. Either the measurement was inaccurate or he didn't try to establish why the level was so high.

There are a few cases where cardiovascular fatalities have been attributed to cannabis use over the years, but it's such a small proportion compared to the number of cannabis users, I can't see how even the most vehement anti-drug campaigners can get too worked up about it. The medical papers which have been written about these deaths are few and far between and invite more research to establish a causality. I suspect the pathologist in this case dredged up the same few papers and for whatever reason decided he would add this case to the statistics.

All in all, it's pretty unsatisfactory from a number of angles, but that follows the current trend of "drug-related deaths" reported in the media.

I watched some old "Saturday Night Live" recordings a couple of nights ago and there's a sketch with the "X-Police" (Dan Aykroyd & Bill Murray) raiding an apartment where a couple (John Belushi & Jane Curtin) are smoking a joint. Dan Aykroyd ends up beating John Belushi to death and then says "It's too late - another marijuana-related death!" The irony.

Death by cannabis?
David Nutt and Josh Hulbert
Independent Scientific Committee on Drugs
January 31st, 2014

Today, the front page headline on the Metro newspaper read “The tragic proof that cannabis can kill”. Perhaps this splash might lead to some family conversations about drugs. If so, it would be useful now to consider what the sad case of one young mother who died after smoking cannabis can tell us about the dangers of cannabis. I think the answer is nothing. If this upsetting story does at least prod parents into talking to their kids about drugs I hope they might discuss just how to sceptically evaluate and make use of the information we read in the papers.

With scant formal drugs education and negligible public information, our national conversation about drugs is built around the telling of tragic stories like that of Gemma Moss, Leah Betts and Amy Winehouse. Although the facts may be at least part true, these stereotyped stories subtract from rather than adding to the public understanding of drugs. They erode rather than bolster the potential of individuals and the State to rationally recognise and minimise the real harm drugs can cause. These stories misinform even when the facts are ostensibly ‘true’, because the real names, places and dates are slotted into misleading old fairytales about the essential moral evil of drugs, (which are made animate by the stories), and the essential vulnerability and innocence of those (particularly attractive young women) who passively fall prey to them. The types of drugs, people and harm in these stories are not representative of the real burden drugs cause in society.

Read the full story here.

So Dr. Nutt's take is: cannabis could potentially have triggered the death, but it's irrelevant.

Finally a doctor opines.

I'd still like to know how it could happen. The physiology.

Here's a link to a paper often referred to and published some time ago. I haven't found much else out there but at least this one goes into some detail. FWIW, the THC level in the blood of these examples is way below what is reported to have been in the blood of this woman. I know cannabis is stronger these days, but I can't help thinking something else was going on.

http://www.researchgate.net/publica...wing_cannabis_use/file/9fcfd50fa8f4e5b322.pdf

Diagram at bottom of image.

NSFW:
3.png