• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis Advocates: Can you concede that weed is not ALWAYS harmless?

treezy z

Bluelighter
first off i myself and a cannabis advocate in that i think it should be 100% legal, has medicinal properties etc.

but i'm put off by people saying it's God's greatest gift to man, harmless, no bad side effects, etc.

can some other people down with herb admit it's not 100% without it's downsides?

and on the flipside, those who think it is ONLY positive and good and from the sky etc. post your position here.

I agree weed is great but also has some downsides. I work construction and work with a lot of alcoholics, i think its because we like to get fucked up but get drug tested so we have no other choice. If we had the option to smoke weed, a lot of peoples drinking problems would subside IMO.
Obviously weed can make some people lazy and unmotivated. I know that when i smoke once or twice a month nowadays (drug tests) i dont wana be around people because i get completely ripped.
I think that if weed was a legal option like alcohol is, lots of people would turn to that instead of alcohol or hard drugs.

^ agreed

Any substance has downsides and a potential to cause problems, but compared to alcohol and tobacco cannabis is is a good step up.

Salutations,

Only questions. Is it really cannabis which is the source of harm? What about the real harm done in the name of children, out of fear caused by proximity with true criminals, etc... Socially approved and legally supported bigotry, allowing police to take children away from their parents, to seize their property - and even one's very own life should a guy dare resist the bullies... Whatever, etc.

Stigmatization. Doesn't it cause trouble in families, destroy relashionships? Etc., etc. Etcetera!

Drug testing by employers, euh...

=D

^all that has nothing to do with the plant itself. (and i agree with your post)

i was more referring to problems causes by consuming cannabis.

poor phrasing sorry

yes I concede that smoking cannabis can have adverse medical effects. As to cannabinoids; yes, I believe THC and THCV can both potentially cause paranoia leading to psychological harm. That said, cannabis is the safest drug I use, and as far as I can tell cannabis causes less harm than any other drug, legal and prescription included. Love and light to all.

I'll concede that an "I smoke pot all day everyday" kind of attitude will bring more bad than it will do you good (not including exceptional medical cases who can not function without cannabis)... Cognition and memory suffer, laziness gets worse, social life falls apart, depression may occur, you start losing weight, etc. Occasional or no more than once a day use on the other hand seems relatively harmless to me. I certainly prefer the feeling the next morning after getting too high on weed, versus getting too drunk on alcohol or too high on any other drug...

A lot of people I know are somewhat dependant on it at a mental level. So many times I have been at parties with more than enough drink to go around, but there is no weed and everyone gets agitated and all they do is try and score weed.

I also think weed is fantastic and opens up people's creative sides but at the same time it makes people lazy and unmotivated to the point that people argue over performing simple tasks like buttering toast. People just want to sit down and do fuck all which irritates me.

Hi again Treezy,

...that has nothing to do with the plant itself. (and i agree with your post)

i was more referring to problems caused by consuming cannabis.

Me too i was refering to the cannabis plant, and you know it's not tomatoes which were used to justify all of this wrong doing that takes place on a continental scale. But i suppose your intent was to discuss chronic cannabic intoxication, etc. I can recognize that.

Well, i've been a chronic hashish smoker and thanks to the anti-cannabic prohibition war i was never even told that i didn't have to smoke it at all, vapes are so much better actually!!

To be exact it was a pro-cannabic web site which provided me information, 3 years after i quit all smoking definitively in 2007, once in my fifties. Better late than nothing but the damage done by 25 years of smoking is quite real, it's the bigot's lasting legacy - consequence of other people's abuse who view themselves as pure while persecuting total strangers, over dry flowers...

Honnestly you can never give the "good guys" an inch knowing the wrost cases among them behave like true criminals, supposedly to impose an ideology but i suspect it's beyond morals, euh...

:|

Smoking is bad, cannabis is said to have a protective effect relatively to cancer; others will contradict this finding and the discussion could go on until exhaustion. What i can tell in terms of personnal experience is that i see a difference between smoke and vapour in terms of "addiction": it's not the same.

The problem is we need to go through a couple generations who have been lucky to benefit from real guidance and information, in a world where the cannabic statistics no longer get so much scrambled by social/legal noise, whatever. Some day our societies will have to decide to be coherent and treat "stoners" at least as respectfully as true addicts consuming alcohol and/or tobacco, who play their salary on lotery, etc., etc. Once people have been allowed to deal with cannabis away from all unfairness we may have data which does actually hep, finally.

So, what about this site's own favourite topic, Harm Reduction?! Where was this rare ingredient when i needed it most in the '80s??? See where i come from?...

;)

In conclusion HR was kept under the cover and no dealer ever distributed me pamphlets on vaporism while i could have kept my lungs in a healthier state if i had known. All this because of a plant they prefer to name "marijuana" (read "marihuana")...

Lets suppose i watch someone going after trouble and i'm too focussed on being correct to offer this person an alternative. I'm no criminal and perhaps the other guy is, so where's my overdose by bigotry intoxication should this person fail badly?...

When a guy just needs a hand and he's tired of liars it wouldn't hurt anyone to promote vaporisation. In comparison lies can cause more damage, much more sometimes.

So. I'm afraid i can't agree to concessions. They're at war, well armed and always shoot to kill - in case some of us didn't notice.

In the meantime... Good day, have fun!

=D

i think herb has a far greater ratio of good:bad than any other substance, including certain foods that people overindulge in. keeping that in mind, i feel if someone follows the everything-in-moderation adage then there's not much need to worry about downsides. of course, its addictive nature, which makes it difficult to just enjoy herb in moderation, is arguably the major negative of herb.

^^^if kept in moderation I don't see anything really bad coming from marijuana use unless the person is spending all their money on pot instead of their family and problems are arising from your use. Its very rare but I know people who had to go to detox and rehab for marijuana addiction so its not all good obviously there's not a drug or herb in the world that agrees with everybody and causes no side effects some people are not gonna react well to it despite the fact most do.

i feel if someone follows the everything-in-moderation adage then there's not much need to worry about downsides

I don't think that anything poses significant dangers kept in "moderation"--that's essentially what moderation is.

ebola

Weed makes you slower, impairs your memory and concentration, and increases the proportion of my paycheck that I might voluntarily give to Dave Mathews - all of these things have had negative real world consequences for me.

Fortunately, I'm generally way too high to care. =D

Also, just like the high itself fades with time, so do the side effects.

When people say weed is 'harmless', they don't literally mean "There is absolutely no possible way for you to harm yourself with this." That's stupid. Even water isn't 'harmless' by that definition.

Weed is harmless enough, though. Been smoking for almost 10 years now, one of the few drug-related decisions which I won't eventually regret.

While I enjoy weed, I haven't smoked in 6 months and the people who say it's completely harmless annoy me almost as much as those who say it's evil.

First of all, I can't moderate with it, so thats a problem.

Second, I have asthma which has gotten worse over the years and sometimes I'll even need my inhaler after smoking and then puke which is NOT fun.

Third, even though I can enjoy weed by itself, since it's not legal where I am I never have access to the types of strains that produce less anxiety and I often get anxious and that makes me want to drink while smoking to prevent the anxiety and enjoy the experience more.

Drinking while smoking is my favorite way to smoke and so I drink like 3 times more than I normally would when I am on a weed binge, then I gain tons of weight, and I gain even more weight from the munchies so basically, I cannot go on a weed binge without going on a drinking binge and getting fat...and that's a HUGE problem.

And finally, weed makes me content with doing Nothing with my days, and I waste my life.

So...I'm not trying to demonize it as someone who has smoked on and off (OFF these days...) for the past 17 years, but it just causes WAY too many problems for me to do with regularity and if I do it, it's either going to be regularly, or even for just a short binge, but last time I told myself I was "only going to binge for 10 days" I drank so much while smoking and ate so much that I gained like 12 pounds...

I will say that if weed was legal where I was and I had access to strains which cause less anxiety and even better, pre-made pot food made with these strains, that I then would probably not desire to drink nearly as much when smoking and not get so fat, and also edibles don't bother my asthma...so I'm looking forward to weed becoming legal where I am.

Last edited:
^Sounds to me like you've got an underlying mood disorder. "Weed binges"?! :p

I've got a few diagnosees I don't need to go into.

It used to be for all my college and later high school years and some of my grad school years that I smoked all the time, but eventually that became a problem so I just smoked as much as I could for short periods and then stopped.

But why make fun of me for using the expression "weed binge"???

See, this is just the problem: I've been smoking on and off for almost half my life and people REFUSE to see weed as a substance that can be "binged on" like alcohol.

Why are "weed binges" not real in your opinion or something to laugh at??

(Also, I probably wouldn't refer to it as a "weed binge" if I wasn't usually drinking along with it, but since I do, it's an even more appropriate term).

Last edited:
I don't mean to disparage you, (I have some "mood disorders" myself), what I was getting at is that it sounds more like a personal problem that can be brought on from a multitude of triggers, not something intrinsically 'harmful' about cannabis.

As far as 'weed binges" go, I don't know man, you can't really binge on weed like you can stims or opioids...

I don't mean to disparage you, (I have some "mood disorders" myself), what I was getting at is that it sounds more like a personal problem that can be brought on from a multitude of triggers, not something intrinsically 'harmful' about cannabis.

As far as 'weed binges" go, I don't know man, you can't really binge on weed like you can stims or opioids...

Oh no question that it's not something about weed in particular, but it's a problem I have more with weed that some other substances.

I kind of have an addictive personality but it's more of an issue with weed than alcohol for example.

It's not harmless though, basically, in terms of the asthma it can cause, and just generally anything that can be used to "avoid life" can be an issue but that could be anything like watching TV, internet, etc.

And yeah, in the technical sense of the way we usually think of a "binge" I guess weed doesn't seem like something to "binge" on, but it makes more sense for me when I use that term because I drink a lot and eat a lot when I smoke so I also binge on food and alcohol when I smoke a lot.

I don't know, I guess when people say "binge" they usually think of something they eat, drink, swallow or maybe snort or inject, but rarely something they smoke.

Would you say someone could be on a "meth binge" or "crack binge"?

Of course, those are highly harmful addictive substances and weed isn't.

I don't think anyone would say "cigarette binge" either hahah, maybe, chain smoking weed? Ah, whatever.

It doesn't really matter what you call it though...to be smoking non stop to the point where you are doing nothing else is kind of a "binge" even if the word somehow doesn't quite sound right.

Some people can be highly motivated and smoke weed and go do lots of other things and I've never understood those people.

I can't do that (I wish I could, maybe I could with stimulating strains I've never tried, I don't know...)....but it's the same kind of binge for me as if I watched TV all day or did too much of anything.

Overdoing something is overdoing it, whatever it might be.

The problem still isn't weed itself being dangerous or anything, which I still love (I love it too much which is the problem...), but it's not harmless like some say.

Anybody that says that weed is harmless and doesn't have the ability to cause even people with no mental health issues problems is in denial, that's all I'm gonna say on this topic...

Ps. I've been smoking for almost 10 years and a good 75% of people I know are, or have been smokers at one point.