• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Social Cannabis a Hallucinogenic?

Never got much from smoking but eaten - now you are talking a drug...one to befriend and love forever

It definitely has hallucinogen properties. I don't use it often, but last time I did, when I my smoking a joint, my friend transformed into an animal for a brief few seconds (I found it hilarious, not frightening).
I wouldn't compare it to the likes of LSD or Shrooms, but in moderate-high doses (or just moderate doses if you don't have a tolerance) you absolutely can have visuals. I have always known that that was what they were, though. I've never been in a position where I couldn't distinguish them from reality. In the past, when I've been on amphetamines (using all day every day for 2-3 months) and had amphetamine psychosis there way just NO WAY anyone could tell me that what I was experiencing wasn't really. I was absolutely convinced it was real (even when presented with proof I was wrong). That and the visuals on weed were extremely different experiences.

It definitely has hallucinogen properties. I don't use it often, but last time I did, when I my smoking a joint, my friend transformed into an animal for a brief few seconds (I found it hilarious, not frightening).
I wouldn't compare it to the likes of LSD or Shrooms, but in moderate-high doses (or just moderate doses if you don't have a tolerance) you absolutely can have visuals. I have always known that that was what they were, though. I've never been in a position where I couldn't distinguish them from reality. In the past, when I've been on amphetamines (using all day every day for 2-3 months) and had amphetamine psychosis there way just NO WAY anyone could tell me that what I was experiencing wasn't really. I was absolutely convinced it was real (even when presented with proof I was wrong). That and the visuals on weed were extremely different experiences.
Back when it was legal and I was a much dumber man, I got a bit of am-2201, a super powerful synthetic cannabinoid. Thinking I hadn't smoked enough I put some more in my bowl pack. Next thing I know I am straight tripping and delusional. Took me a solid 30mins - 1 hour to come back to reality. And I likely terrified my poor sister and shit, I was under the impression that the entire neighborhood was coming to murder me for some reason. Str8 awfulNESS

For me the psychedelic qualities of cannabis are all psychological, it's all about the way it makes you think and feel. The mental aspects can be really strong , specially if your tolerance is low, it's really intoxicating, even more so than traditional psychedelics.
But I've consumed a lot of cannabis over my life and I've never had any sort of OEV (besides slight changes in brightness perception)... Not even when I first started smoking, or that time I had to spend the entire day lying in bed due to a massive dose of eddibles, or when I took a massive dab after a 3 week's break, etc...

Back when it was legal and I was a much dumber man, I got a bit of am-2201, a super powerful synthetic cannabinoid. Thinking I hadn't smoked enough I put some more in my bowl pack. Next thing I know I am straight tripping and delusional. Took me a solid 30mins - 1 hour to come back to reality. And I likely terrified my poor sister and shit, I was under the impression that the entire neighborhood was coming to murder me for some reason. Str8 awfulNESS

I know what you mean. I fucking HATE "spice" (also an extremely potent synthetic cannabinoid) with a passion, but I tried it a few times. During this time I was in a homeless hostel (and addicted to alcohol, benzo's and opioids) and only tried it out of desperation when sober. The first time I tried it was with friends (well, insomuch as other addicts you live with in a homeless shelter can be real friends). The guy put some of it in a bong for me, I went to take a hit and he said "wait a second" and took half of it out before giving it back to me. I did a hit and ended up having a serious grand mal seizure. The paramedics were already there when I came out of it and I immediately went straight into another seizure. They said if my mate handing half the amount at the last second before I took a hit I would have certainly died.
Also, I don't know if you've ever had a grand mal seizure but you don't normally experience anything during. One moment you're fine and then the next thing you know, you're on the floor (usually with paramedics there). But that time I DID have an experience*: I was deep in outer space - myself but without a physical body - and I KNEW that I was completely alone and the only thing that really existed in the entire universe. I also felt an OVERWHELMING sense of anxiety and impending doom and that nothing was ever going to be okay ever again.
One of the worst experiences of my life.
STUPIDLY, I did try it (in much much smaller doses) twice more. Once alone, and I "Came to" on the ground with vomit on my t-shirt so I ostensibly also had a grand mal seizure that time. I was also extremely lucky that I didn't aspirate.
The third time was accidental. One of the aforementioned "friends" offered me a few hits off his roly (self-rolled cigarette using loose tobacco) and I accepted, not knowing that it was spiked with a pinch of Spice. I didn't seizure that time, but it triggered my Myoclonus in a severe way over my whole body.
My brothers friend actually died at 21 from a heart attack induced by Spice.
I wouldn't give that evil stuff to my worst enemy.

*It's import to note that being alone is one of my biggest fears.

So into which category, classification does cannabis belong, by merit and definition?

For me there is only one. Psychedelic! Cannabis....is a plant psychedelic. That’s just a fact to be recognised and understood.

For me the psychedelic qualities of cannabis are all psychological, it's all about the way it makes you think and feel. The mental aspects can be really strong , specially if your tolerance is low, it's really intoxicating, even more so than traditional psychedelics.
But I've consumed a lot of cannabis over my life and I've never had any sort of OEV (besides slight changes in brightness perception)... Not even when I first started smoking, or that time I had to spend the entire day lying in bed due to a massive dose of eddibles, or when I took a massive dab after a 3 week's break, etc...
I am sorry that your "all psychological" effects include filtering out the psychedelic visuals that are more intense on cannabis than shrooms, acid, or mesc, and certainly even more intense when combined with those kinds of strong slow acting oral psychedelics.

it is such a hearty blast that I would equate it more with oats and ground beef, in comparison with lsd's lighter, more exotic, and brighter rice and seafood style impact.

then of course there are deleriants which put you into a sleep walking dreamland and are pure poison, Devil's Trumpet style.

I am sorry that your "all psychological" effects include filtering out the psychedelic visuals that are more intense on cannabis than shrooms, acid, or mesc, and certainly even more intense when combined with those kinds of strong slow acting oral psychedelics.

it is such a hearty blast that I would equate it more with oats and ground beef, in comparison with lsd's lighter, more exotic, and brighter rice and seafood style impact.

then of course there are deleriants which put you into a sleep walking dreamland and are pure poison, Devil's Trumpet style.
I think most people would disagree with your statement about cannabis having stronger visuals than traditional psychedelics like LSD and psilocybin. Some people do experience CEV and maybe even OEV if their tolerance is really low. But stronger than LSD?? No way.

I'm of course talking about cannabis on its own, mixing cannabis with psychedelics is something else entirely...

Cannabis does potentiate serotonergic psychedelics like LSD and shrooms, incluiding the visual effects, it also changes the nature of the trip.

I think most people would disagree with your statement about cannabis having stronger visuals than traditional psychedelics like LSD and psilocybin. Some people do experience CEV and maybe even OEV if their tolerance is really low. But stronger than LSD?? No way.

I'm of course talking about cannabis on its own, mixing cannabis with psychedelics is something else entirely...

Cannabis does potentiate serotonergic psychedelics like LSD and shrooms, incluiding the visual effects, it also changes the nature of the trip.
I agree, most people would think that. They would expect that LSD and Mushrooms are about Hallucination -visuals- because they are commonly referred to as hallucinogens.

THC definitely brings on a sparkle with the buzz, and then if the world is quiet, and you are looking at a plain flat surface you will see quite a lot of your own mind at play. tiny visuals to larger characters or figures can form.

It is not really more or less than the effects from LSD or shrooms, though without pupil dilation, the streetlights at night are not quite as fascinating.

the Deleriants cause outright complete visual transformations of the scene - LSD and shrooms are not really like that, unless you are in a dark quiet space where the boogey man can hide.

Warning: long post
TBH I rarely use the word hallucinogenic, I much prefer the word psychedelic. But it's a complex topic filled with semantics and everyone seems to have their own definition.

Opium and other opiods have been described as having visionary/psychedelic properties, and dopaminergic stimulants can make some people see/hear/feel things that aren't there. There are plenty of other ambiguous examples as well.
So, should opium and meth be classified as hallucinogens too? Or even as psychedelics?
I don't think so, otherwise one might say that most drugs are capable of producing psychedelic effects in the right (or wrong) set&setting. One might even say that even music and food are psychedelics, and they might be, but then it justs gets too confusing.

I'd just classify THC and weed as a cannabinoid, thats good enough for me, maybe even as a psychedelic cannabinoid depending on the context. But it shouldn't be confused with serotonergic psychedelics (which are "true" psychedelics), they're not the same.
Same goes for dissociatives, they just don't provide the same type of experience, despite having strong psychedelic qualities (specially at high doses, with your eyes closed).

And btw, none of them are intrinsically better or worse than the others, they all have different qualities.

Regarding hallucinogens, it's a pretty messy subject.
For the sake of simplification, we may say there are 2 main types of hallucinations :
- Simple hallucinations are more like distortions, they usually manifest as an altered perception of color, brightness, shapes, sounds, etc... I personally don't really see them as true hallucinations, even though they technically are.
They can actually have a high degree of complexity, for instance fractals can rearrange themselves into really intricate patterns even to the point of appearing as fractalized entities or beautiful landscapes. In extreme cases they may lay at the limit between the 2 main types of hallucinations.

- Complex hallucinations, those are very different, they tend to make you perceive things that aren't really there and usually carry a much higher level of detail : seeing what appear to be real people/beings/objects, hearing clear voices which don't identify as your own, feeling bugs crawling under your skin and stuff like that (often almost indestinguable from sober reality by the observer).

To me a true hallucinogenic drug would be something capable of producing complex open-eyed hallucinations. I probably wouldn't incluide CEV in this description, but I'd take into account auditory hallucinations (though those are often related to what we call psychosis).

Deliriants would of course be the best example of true hallucinogens, those are mostly anticholinergic drugs. But then again, there are some weird ones like muscimol from amanita muscaria which is primarily a gabaergic, yet it can apparently make you hallucinate as well (I've never tried that one though).

In the end I probably wouldn't classify most serotonergic psychs as true hallucinogens either. Although things get weird at very high doses... So let's say that I haven't made up my mind yet.

Last edited:
honestly, I see a kind of video noise or sparkle everywhere this morning (15mg water soluble thc last night), and the out of phase colored sparkles I would call moxels (in the way or mental voxels, or mental 3-d pixels).

moxels (mental pixels) can interlink as fractals and can seemingly solidify or not into 2-d or 3-d motifs or figures, depending on how long the moxel group resonance is sustained (more so when stoned). I see what gets my attention, and that is mostly whatever changes in the visual field.

Not really, but they share some properties. Weed can give you a "trippy" or "psychedelic" state of mind where there are actually similarities in one's state of mind. You can even get visuals. However, these similarities are misleading. There's always something innately "fuzzy" about cannabis compared to psychedelics, even in low doses. Psychedelics produces vivid experiences that stick with you after it's over, and cannabis just doesn't. Also, the visuals that you get from cannabis are much more fleeting, less clear, and generally lack the emotional intensity as ones from even low dose psychedelics.

Overall, the whole experience is completely different. It can also feel more like an actual psychedelic if you have tripped before anytime in the not too distant (or perhaps even different) past. But you still won't actually trip in that the whole experience just doesn't have the same emotionally vivid type of quality that psychedelics do. Also, cannabis can have an odd dissociative quality to it, which is not really the case with psychedelics at all (at least not so much). Furthermore, you can usually sleep during a cannabis experience, if you are in the frame of mind of wanting to. Not with psychedelics though.

I have zero tolerance to cannabis at the moment. Have been a heavy user in the past and have also used psychedelics quite a lot. Not like some other people here but have enough experience.

If I were to smoke cannabis now, I would be propelled in a state that I would call psychedelic (more typical psychedelic than mdma for sure, at least in my experience/opinion). Smoking cannabis on top of LSD for me was always like "taking LSD on LSD". It brought the whole experience to another level.

People that use cannabis regularly tend to not experience this states due to tolerance. But I consider cannabis to be pretty potent psychedelic if used in high/er doses.

I used to eat 14 grams of pot( Cooked into edibles) within a 4 hour period, I remember one time I was trying to cook, and I couldn’t find the lid for a pot, I can’t remember why I tried this one lid on it, it looked twice the size of the pot, but it was the right lid, it fit perfectly, shrinking instantly as I put it on the pot, I also would have CEvs the whole time, also I believe weed is classified as a hallucinogen and a cannabinoid. It’s more like mixing a low dose of s dissociative with low dose clasicAl psychedelic, which is quite fun, I highly recommend taking cactus with dxm, of course you’ll need weed for the nausea, and, you know, cause it’s weed, weed is always needed
A friend with weed is a friend indeed

14 grams is lots of milligrams of THC, I'd be a mess on the floor.

I’d estimate about 1400 mg of thc, it was average bud, sometimes it could have been 2800 mg though

Weed is absolutely hallucinogenic and psychotogenic. I've had very strong hallucinations before. They are unlike classical psychedelics, though.

They also only occur at high dose and low tolerance.

If your friend smokes 30 bowls a day his tolerance would prevent hallucinations.

I'm talking about taking a year off then smoking 30 bowls in 30 minutes to produce hallucinations (exaggerating a bit)
Off topic, but I had meant to comment before. I must say I love your Spirit World Field Guide profile picture. Anyways, sorry for the distraction.