View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

can you smoke DMT out of a vaporizer

High Yogi

Bluelighter
My friend put forth the idea of smoking DMT out of a vaporizer. I told him the molecule is too sensitive and would be destroyed. He says to put the vaporizer at a very low temperature and to let it heat up the DMT. I think this would be an awesome idea if it could work because he has the type of vaporizer where it attached to the bag. This is perfect for a breakthrough because one of the hardest parts of breaking through is milking up large enough hits to take in succession. if one can vaporize a bag full of dmt and take it all in one or two hits, no problem, then he is surely bound to breakthrough.

what are you oppinions, thoughts or ideas on this? will this work?

Has anyone tried meth or crack in the vape? Seems like if they would work DMT would

I can't give a definite answer on the DMT, but I do know that salvia, a similarly powerful substance, can be vaporised but also that it's a bad idea. Basically it's very hard to gauge the potency of the plant when vapourised, so you could be in for a trip significantly more powerful than you intended. With salvia, and DMT if it applies, this is something you need to watch out for.

I can't give a definite answer on the DMT, but I do know that salvia, a similarly powerful substance, can be vaporised but also that it's a bad idea. Basically it's very hard to gauge the potency of the plant when vapourised, so you could be in for a trip significantly more powerful than you intended. With salvia, and DMT if it applies, this is something you need to watch out for.

What? How is gauging the potency of DMT/salvia any different while vaping than smoking? They're both inexact dosing methods.

Not to mention salvia has a really high vape iirc temperature so it's better to smoke it.

What? How is gauging the potency of DMT/salvia any different while vaping than smoking? They're both inexact dosing methods.

Not to mention salvia has a really high vape iirc temperature so it's better to smoke it.
Well if you really wanted too you could take like a gram of DMT in one hit with a vape, where as with a pipe its harder to take a fat hit like that.

Sounds like it'd be easier to titrate dose exactly with a vape then, just measure out your bowl, and vape the entire thing.

Not every electronic vaporizer can be set to such low temperatures (around 70 degrees celsius), other than that sure its possible. Personally I would not use vapor balloons, DMT is likely to condense or deposit. Inhale it directly.

Not every electronic vaporizer can be set to such low temperatures (around 70 degrees celsius), other than that sure its possible. Personally I would not use vapor balloons, DMT is likely to condense or deposit. Inhale it directly.

I'm thinking if you inhaled directly from a vape with a hose type set up though solipsis that you wouldn't be able to pull big enough hits to breakthrough. This can already be difficult with a bong, and vapes release much more gradual, smaller hits.

Hmm good point, so what then? Perhaps a first-hand report would help out.

I remember a friend of mine who has (or had) my DMT said it was almost like cheating with a vaporizer. Not sure how he did it and if he actually broke through at some point. He used to enjoy lower doses from what I remember. Perhaps just accounting for the condensing DMT with some extra milligrammage is the simple solution, could be that it is not that bad.

So you would say that 158 F would be the optimal temperature? What would be the highest/lowest you could go?
Mine goes down to 0 F lol

Last edited:
Not sure. It does not have a boiling point but a range that goes from 60-80 degrees or something like that. I think you ought to experiment with something in the middle of that up to 80 or even 85-90 and see what is best. I am probably not the authority to ask about vaporizers because I use steel mesh materials and normal smoking devices for it. I was mostly referring to the value listed in literature.

A friend of mine tried to vaporize DMT in a volcano vaporizer device, and was a bit anxious titrating from naught. First 3 mg were dosed and we started at 90°C but this was of course ineffective.
Subsequently 11 mg was loaded into the volcano (onto some herb as a carrier in case it would melt) but this did not seem to have any effect. The temperature was gradually increased to 169°C and according to him there was some effect at that point.

I've only smoked DMT once, but when I did, I vaporized it out of a lightbulb, and it worked fine. Meth obviously also works fine like that; crack, not so much.

I am unsure as to weather this method of vaping DMT would work of simply using a normal bong with no water, and add a vape attachment to it with a metal screen inside the attachment?

I am worried the DMT will fall through the gaps in the metal screen, do you agree?

Hi and welcome to PD / BL! :D

A@Q: Yes, that does happen as the DMT melts, it needs special handling,

Often ashes are used as a bed so that molten DMT is dispersed in it befored getting vaped away, I've done that when I was still figuring shit out.
But since then, I've come to believe in metal meshing material (like chore boy), basically the 3D version of metal screens. What is fundamentally different about that is a big surface area for the molten DMT to spread over. Metal of course is a great heat transductor so when you apply heat with a lighter and get the metal all hot it will spread the heat evenly to vape all the DMT that formed a layer all over it. Seems ideal to me. I've used it and liked it. I always do warn that before use you need to heat the shit out of the metal proper, and fumes escape. These are the machine oils, continue until nothing comes off, then you're golden.

There are several smoking devices that can be fitting with such metal meshings, such as a plain bong or the dedicated DMT spoking apparatus called "the Machine". I guess the evaporation stage is the same in all as long as metal meshings are used, but the distance between the DMT and your mouth, the path travelled and the width of stems (they matter in the extent to which DMT is allowed to cool down and condense to the sides, or proceed as vapor but maybe so hot as to scold your respiratory system with hot shit), the volume of the vapor room, optional ice or other coolants, etc.

Thanks for your info. I have read on here and DMT Nexus, that people often melt the DMT onto the wire mesh thing like chore boy, although I cant see how the DMT does not vaporize but it melts instead. Do you sprinkle the DMT over the mesh, and then apply heat from beneath? surely by applying the heat the DMT would vape and not melt? How long is the heat applied for and it it continuously applied or not? I don't suppose there are any videos of this as this is the only part of the vaping process I am confused with. I have seen the Machine and was going to make one yesterday, but decided not to until I can confirm the questions I have regarding the loading of the DMT

You see, chemicals exist in different phases: solid, liquid, gas (also plasma but let's not go into that). It is relatively unusual for a solid such as DMT crystal, powder or wax to turn into gas/vapor without passing the liquid stage first. And that is indeed what happens: first it melts, then it evaporates.
If you apply a lot of heat, it passes very quickly through liquid into vapor and it might hardly seem like there is a liquid stage at all (apart from the tell that you can lose DMT by it seeping through the mesh in the liquid molten stage). If you apply even more heat, there is pyrolysis: it burns. Instead of simply changing phase, there are actual chemical reactions that change the DMT into other nasty acrid chemicals that are obnoxious to inhale and that are mostly not expected to be psychedelic, not being DMT.

If you apply very gentle heat by a) heating from the outside lateral side of the bong cone, b) keeping it at a distance and only very slowly bringing it closer to the prepared DMT hit, then you can melt it with minimal evaporation. (There is not enough energy added - i.e. rise in temperature from the gentle heating - to allow transition into vapor/gas but there is just enough to allow transition into the liquid phase.
And yes it is true that it is best to first melt DMT onto the surface of the choreboy metal to ensure maximum benefit (I explained before how/why we benefit).

So long story short: yes you basically had it right with the 'applying heat from underneath'.