• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Can you get a smokers cough for smoking marijuana on a daily basis for years?

Pretty_Diamonds

Bluelight Crew
Smoker's cough like a deep.. at least 5 back-to-back DEEP coughs (wake you up when you're sleeping--**not counting directly after a hit, of course**) twice a day....
Habit....3-5x per day.. water bong... for 5-8+ years.

Smoker's cough only prevalent in the last two weeks.

I'm just wondering the possible negative effects and what to do to remedy this or improve conditions? Without forgoing the drug, of course.

I think so. Most chronic smokers I know cough all the time.
They say honey is pretty good for cough.
I suggest you go to a doctor for x-Ray. Just to be safe..

I don't see the sources for a "Scientific American" article; nonetheless this excerpt should be legit. Says nothing for throat and neck cancers, which may have been linked in other studies.

The smoke from burning marijuana leaves contains several known carcinogens and the tar it creates contains 50 percent more of some of the chemicals linked to lung cancer than tobacco smoke. A marijuana cigarette also deposits four times as much of that tar as an equivalent tobacco one. Scientists were therefore surprised to learn that a study of more than 2,000 people found no increase in the risk of developing lung cancer for marijuana smokers.

Bongs likely cut some toxins, but vaping should be a healthier route of administration, overall. Quite a large amount of THC has been lost when testing bongs, such as with studies NORML has undertaken.
Their suggestions for minimizing exposure to toxins are to vape, ingest, or smoke more potent marijuana.
Disappointingly, waterpipes performed uniformly worse than the unfiltered joint. The least bad waterpipe, the bong, produced 30% more tar per cannabinoids than the unfiltered joint. Ironically, the pipe with the electric mixer scored by far the worst of any device. This suggests that water filtration is actually counterproductive, apparently because water tends to absorb THC more readily than other, noxious tars.

I smoked only cannabis for 2 years straight and by the end of it i sometimes coughed up black loogies.
never smoked tobacco.
but after 6 mo of not smoking anymore my lungs,,, just cleaned out i guess.

Smoker's cough like a deep.. at least 5 back-to-back DEEP coughs (wake you up when you're sleeping--**not counting directly after a hit, of course**) twice a day....
Habit....3-5x per day.. water bong... for 5-8+ years.

Smoker's cough only prevalent in the last two weeks.

I'm just wondering the possible negative effects and what to do to remedy this or improve conditions? Without forgoing the drug, of course.

Yes you would get this if you smoke cannabis daily/frequently, and for long periods of time as you posted about.

If you have questions about your lungs see a doctor or medical professional and be honest to him/her about how you smoke cannabis and if you smoke tobacco.

Have you tried a vaporizer? I never liked how herb made me cough when I'd infrequently smoke it through the ages of 15-22 sometimes quitting for a year or two at a time; but I tried a vaporizer and even that made me cough the one time I used it years ago, maybe you should make some edibles and switch to eating it? If I were going to start using cannabis again I'd just eat it in low doses every so often.

Last edited:
Bongs will cause it for sure. I used to get it loads, we called it bong cough.

Since switching to vapes only over a year ago I'm loads better, no cough, hardly ever cough up any black junk.

I cough a lot, I do mix my cannabis with tobacco though, I have been smoking for 13 years, I would say at least 8 of them I would of been smoking every day. I used to cough a lot more when I smoked bongs frequently but now I smoke most of my weed in joints and my lungs have gotten better. I can't definitively blame it on the weed since I do mix it, but I tend to think I would have a cough even if I smoked green, maybe a slightly less severe one though.

I do fuck all cardio and generally live an unhealthy life style so these are likely contributing factors to my cough as well.

marijuana smoke is harmful,
but that's what vaporizers are for.
plus dabs you only need 1-2 hits with good dabs to get you in your place so...

Yes.

My friends cough black shit cuz they're chronic on the bong. One coughs blood sometimes. He's been smoking since like 13 chronically for like 6 years.

People for some reason don't like to associate the health problems from smoking tobacco with weed cuz for some reason they think weed is so much better aha.

My cousin's dad has been smoking weed only joints for almost 50 years and his lungs are all black and the doc told him he has to stop.

The only plus us weed smokers have is the fact that there's no link to lung cancer and pot smoking yet. But I believe that only to be true as a tobacco smoker tends to smoke between 10-20 cigarettes a day and a pot head wouldn't smoke that much unless they had money to literally waste. We'll see what happens with Wiz Khalifa...

But one of the test mentioned above that proved marijuana to contain more tar than tobacco I think wasn't very accurate. In the experiment iirc they burned the entire weed plant and got their 4x tar as tobacco results. Sadly, well at least for me, I do not smoke long leaves, stems or seeds... just Al Green. SO I won't consider that study in terms of tar content until they test it as per modern day smoker.

Yes.

My friends cough black shit cuz they're chronic on the bong. One coughs blood sometimes. He's been smoking since like 13 chronically for like 6 years.

People for some reason don't like to associate the health problems from smoking tobacco with weed cuz for some reason they think weed is so much better aha.

My cousin's dad has been smoking weed only joints for almost 50 years and his lungs are all black and the doc told him he has to stop.

The only plus us weed smokers have is the fact that there's no link to lung cancer and pot smoking yet. But I believe that only to be true as a tobacco smoker tends to smoke between 10-20 cigarettes a day and a pot head wouldn't smoke that much unless they had money to literally waste. We'll see what happens with Wiz Khalifa...

But one of the test mentioned above that proved marijuana to contain more tar than tobacco I think wasn't very accurate. In the experiment iirc they burned the entire weed plant and got their 4x tar as tobacco results. Sadly, well at least for me, I do not smoke long leaves, stems or seeds... just Al Green. SO I won't consider that study in terms of tar content until they test it as per modern day smoker.

Well cannabis smoke has been shown to contain tar, as well as 50 identified carcinogens also commonly found in tobacco smoke.
http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/abo...-questions/does-smoking-cannabis-cause-cancer
People disputing that cannabis smoke can cause cancer are riding on the fact that it is very difficult to find people who have only smoked cannabis, and not tobacco as well.
But seeing as they share many common harmful agents, it would be wise to assume cannabis smoke can cause cancer similar to tobacco.
Smoke in general is bad for your health...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-146853/Why-cannabis-greater-cancer-risk-tobacco.html
If you vaporize or eat your cannabis you can avoid all that. Plus, edibles last longer anyway

Comparing and contrasting cannabis and tobacco and addressing the carcinogens present in cannabis smoke (starts at about 11:27):

My personal opinion is that the research will eventually show that vaporized cannabis probably has a beneficial effect on the lungs, lowering the incidence of cancer of the lungs. At the very least it probably has a neutral effect.

IMO, the more people start associating Vapes and edibles with cannabis,
and the more we can get away from this idea that weed has to be smoked,
the faster medical and recreational legalization can spread.
Smoke is literally the only thing alcohol has on weed.

Yes.

I know people who smoked an eighth or 3.5g daily for years, and they have scars on their esophagus.

One guy I know smokes herb daily and has been smoking herb since he was a teenager, and he's in his mid 50s. I have no idea what his lungs look like; but he doesn't have a smoker's cough but that doesn't mean that everything is OK since he used to smoke cigarettes, cigars, and told me how as a teenager he would huff spray paint.

I never really smoked daily for years, or a lot of herb all at once since it was expensive, and getting a large tolerance to herb was not fun. When I used to use cannabis I would try to get the best herb ever so I would have to smoke less of it and still get super high, if it wasn't the summer and didn't smoke daily then for a week or a few weeks I would just keep my use to once or maybe three times a month on weekends. Or sometimes I would go months or almost an entire year without smoking any herb. I remember when I was into smoking herb how I saw a doctor and I told him how I did smoke herb, and he assumed I smoked it everyday, and I did not since I just would smoke it 3X a month at the most, and I never went back to him. Lower quality herb was OK to smoke when it was the only thing available and high quality herb was not around; but this was before vaporizers were around, and I did wind up using a few grams of mids for cooking once.

I never really had a smoker's cough the way people who smoke lots of tobacco do; but I have always been into cardio exercise, I never really smoked daily for years; but I did notice that my allergies would get worse when I smoked, or vaped herb.

Last edited:
Yes very true ISO. People attach a heavy stigma to anything that is usually "smoked" and it can't possibly help the legalization.

But man I don't even think that's gonna matter. The generation is changing to the point where the stigma on weed has been significantly decreased in intensity. My aunty's boyfriend doesn't even smoke weed and he doesn't think it should be illegal!

The enlightenment is spreading guys! Get off your SSRIs, benzos, stims & opies already for god's sake! Can't you see this is exactly what they want us to be abusing?? They've shifted the focus from hallucinogenic drugs to pure hedonistic drugs for a god damned reason!!

3rd eye sharp like a muthafuckin' hawk. Come on! Connect your pineal gland and pituitary already for god's sake. The 6th&7th Chakra is there for a reason.

Well cannabis smoke has been shown to contain tar, as well as 50 identified carcinogens also commonly found in tobacco smoke.
http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/abo...-questions/does-smoking-cannabis-cause-cancer
People disputing that cannabis smoke can cause cancer are riding on the fact that it is very difficult to find people who have only smoked cannabis, and not tobacco as well.
But seeing as they share many common harmful agents, it would be wise to assume cannabis smoke can cause cancer similar to tobacco.
Smoke in general is bad for your health...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-146853/Why-cannabis-greater-cancer-risk-tobacco.html
If you vaporize or eat your cannabis you can avoid all that. Plus, edibles last longer anyway

Even NORML admits that cannabis smoke contains many of the same carcinogens tobacco smoke does... as well as tar.

I think so. More than likely, if you are a chronic smoker and you cough when you are not smoking it is likely your lungs trying to clean themselves out.

no matter how you look at it, inhaling smoke is unhealthy. Do so on a regular basis and you will likely have some sort of chronic cough/infection/inflammation. I know I do. and everyone I know who smokes like I do.

I would say abstain from smoking completely- maybe occasional vaporizor but I think vaping will even cause irritation and slow the healing process.

yes.

I dont smoke anything other than pot, and when I smoke heavily I develop a persistent smokers cough.

Switching to vape and dabs, and the occasional joint (6 this year) has virtually eliminated the cough for me.