• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Can you feel euphoria with benzos if you don't have anxiety?

This thread was so instructional to me in that I have experience of taking Xanax for acute anxiety 5-7 years. Only occasional, no addiction whatsoever. Medical issue.

And in light of my experience, it’s rather clear how for some people Xanax works differently - strong disinhibition, for example. But it’s also clear, obvious even how there are these myths, hearsay about the drug. Now I am reading things about other drugs I haven’t taken in a more skeptical attitude.

It's good to see that someone with a genuine anxiety disorder is able to moderate their use and not become dependent on it. I was beginning to worry that was impossible.

Anxiety is on the inside and I've had a panic attack and nobody knew whatsoever. It was absurdly random and nothing triggered it.. I was just sitting in class on a regular day and it hit me. That's the only one that I can noticeably remember. It's just hard for doctors to see if someone needs it or not and for a long time I thought that benzos were a ridiculous medication. Then after seeing my friend with panic attack disorder it quickly changed my mind. Someone can become obliterated in a matter of seconds and need it or risk some worse consequence :/

I am taking it for moderate anxiety. I could suffer it through, but it’s better not to.

I prone to fainting when in high anxiety. Maybe it is attack? Not sure, haven’t told my doctor about it since last times were always when heavily intoxicated from weed/hash and I was afraid I would lose my prescriptions from him. But it feels like that, brain just shuts down from incredible tension.

What’s interesting is that I feel so good after coming back to consciousness. Like a baby, mind so refteshed, like computer restarted.

Of course the danger is hitting something. But lately I learned to recognize when it’s coming on. But my friends are still freaked out seeing me like that :D.

Yes, benzos (Xanax) with alcohol for me is just that, one moment you are you and remember and then just blackness.

But it’s very good for actual anxiety. Helps me a lot 1-2 times a month. But take only 0.5 mg sublingual on those occasions.

I've never been a big fan of alcohol. I think for same reason, benzos don't seem like a big deal to me (recreationally speaking). These days, alcohol actually causes me more anxiety after its short initial euphoric effect.
Good thing is that sublingual clonazepam has that minty taste, unlike alprazolam which tastes like crap. 🤢

I've never been a big fan of alcohol

Alcohol for me is about very moderate usage, 100-150 ml of hard liquor per evening at most a few times per week. With my wife watching TV.

Other drugs is for partying with my drug friends.

Actually tried coke with around 350 ml of hard liquor for the first time recently and alcohol messed things up. Next evening tried just coke and it was wonderful. Again, moderate amounts.

It’s something different about my usage when I think about it. I tend to be much more moderate about amounts of drugs per party or at least I tend to be slower about moving into binge use.

Thank you God for making me like that and let’s continue it this way. 🙏

I am taking it for moderate anxiety. I could suffer it through, but it’s better not to.
And just to clarify about benzo plus alcohol - feels very bad, this blacking out. No fun at all. Did it a few times out of necessity not fun.

Yeah i find benzos way more euphoric than alcohol. Or at least some benzos.

That said, for me, benzos are only euphoric in higher doses.

But they are nothing like opioids. I have a stash containing a pretty large variety of benzos, but i rarely feel compelled to use them on their own. Part of it is that the price tag for using them is so high; if i take a huge dose or take them for a few days I'll feel bad for a while. I used to be a hardcore benzo addict so when i use them now my brain is slow to recover. Most i can use with zero consequence is the equivalent of 3mg of etizolam once every 3 weeks at most. Yet for me a euphoric dose of etizolam is 4-5mg and above with no tolerance.

Where benzos shine the most is with stimulants. Especially stimulants that absolutely require benzos, like a n-ethylhexedrone binge or other cathinones with wrist-slittingly horrible comedowns.

With benzos alone i know im in the good zone when all of sudden im talking nonstop and manic. Only happens on the good benzos, like alprazolam, etizolam perhaps bromazolam and the others that don't knock you out. Its that loquaciousness thats a clear indicator that im in that nice disinhibited benzo zone.

Problem is i tend to say terrible things, or start fights or am too truthful. No wonder why benzos are used in enhanced interrogation techniques by the military and intelligence services. They really get you talking.
Also, as I'm sure you have heard me say I expect, I personally find a great synergy and potentiation between etizolam and good quality kava.

The euphoric and anxiolysis potential of each is increased, in my experience.

Also I find that Etizolam only minimally dulls my more intense LSD trips.

Give clonazepam an honest try without abusing it and it wont let you down. if you are benzo naive then 1 mg should be good. for someone without a tolerance 2 mg would be just at the point where their speech would start to become slurred and partial amnesia would start setting in. anything above 2 mg without a tolerance is asking for a blackout if you ask me. ofcourse everyone is different, I saw a girl who was prescribed 1 mg lorazepam as needed for anxiety, she only got 20 pills a month and never took more than 1 mg of lorazepam, but one time she had no lorazepam and she took 0.25 mg of clonazepam (half of a 0.5 mg tab) and she was obviously intoxicated on benzos, full on slurring her speech etc. she remembers the whole thing but she was very surprised at how much it impaired her.

so ya, Id say try 1 mg at most to start, it should be as good as a 1 mg dose of xanax but has more muscle relaxation and stuff, and i find its anti anxiety properties to be respectable
I have only tried clonozolam, not clonazepam.

In 0.5 mg blotters, which has a stonger and longer lasting effect on me than 2mg Etizolam, as a guage of relative potency.

I avoid the clonozolam however as I experience more noticeable acute side effects, vs etizolam by a long way.

Do you smoke or have it as an edible (or Softgel - which is considerd an edible)? It might be how you consume it; I have never smoked it since I don't smoke. Do you find smoking to be more intense since it kicks in quicker?
Smoking or vaporizing weed does kick in quicker, buy also drops off much sooner than an edible, which is more of a plateaued, prolonged curve than a spike.

Importantly, thc is metabolised differently when eaten vs smoke/vapor, I forget the technicalities, but it is literally 2 different forms of thc which reach the receptors.

It's like the 100 metre sprint, vs the 5000 metres.
Different races and experiences all round, despite both being running essentially.

I find that edibles with LSD really pushes the intensity and longevity of the trip up, more even than smoke or vapor in my experience.

I think acute anxiety is far more likely from smoking or vaping vs edibles, but the dosage, setting, individual play a part, and larger edible doses can just as easily trigger major anxiety attacks, especially on high dose LSD trips.

I prone to fainting when in high anxiety. Maybe it is attack? Not sure, haven’t told my doctor about it since last times were always when heavily intoxicated from weed/hash and I was afraid I would lose my prescriptions from him. But it feels like that, brain just shuts down from incredible tension.

What’s interesting is that I feel so good after coming back to consciousness. Like a baby, mind so refteshed, like computer restarted.

Of course the danger is hitting something. But lately I learned to recognize when it’s coming on. But my friends are still freaked out seeing me like that :D.
I would suggest it may be situational avoidance. Your consciousness is reuted through subconscious emotional thought processes, feelings and fear, to shut down your consciousness, bring the curtain down on the show, as much as a purely physical, tension related side effect.

Just a thought and suggestion though.

I am super worried. my prescription for clonazepam at this centre runs out in 6 days, and the in house prescriber has gone totally AWOL. so the staff and I are scrambling around to find a prescriber to write me my 4.5 mg of daily clonazepam and my 4 mg of nabilone and my 300 mg gabapentin. methadone isnt an issue as I have refills for that exceeding my stay here. Im however very worried as my family doctor in my homee town is on vacation for several more days and is very hard to get a hold of in regular circumstances let alone with Covid going on.

I had to take matters into my own hands and have a friend go to my mailbox, then place 250 mg of etizolam i ordered in a designated area in my local area in the case I am released and have to face w/d symptoms. at least the etizolam will take the edge off. when I get home and still have no prescription I will have no choice but to purchase at least 1000 mg of etizolam to hold me over until I can figure things out. I may even have to run this program again

Last edited:
I have some light situational anxiety and even in that situation I don't get any euphoria. You just feel "normal", like a huge icecube was just thrown into a pot of boiling water inside me. That said, I have noticed some stimulating effect of Diazepam and Etizolam as they lower my resistance to actually do things (mostly things I was contemplating for a while but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger). Keep in mind that I only use small dosages (10 mg Diazepam and 1 mg Etizolam). Xanax only knocks me out, I don't understand why anyone would use that recreationally.

I would suggest it may be situational avoidance. Your consciousness is reuted through subconscious emotional thought processes, feelings and fear, to shut down your consciousness, bring the curtain down on the show, as much as a purely physical, tension related side effect.

Just a thought and suggestion though.

That sounds right. Especially earlier ones, in my childhood, that happened without weed but always in the context of some huge tension around me. But later, weed’y ones are not well explained then, since they happened in friendly context without any tension but always with heavy weed consumption after a period of abstinence. Maybe some inner tension, somewhat subconscious about using? But that would be weird, since I am pretty open about it with everyone.

Anyway, thanks, situational avoidance and fainting - something to google for :)

That sounds right. Especially earlier ones, in my childhood, that happened without weed but always in the context of some huge tension around me. But later, weed’y ones are not well explained then, since they happened in friendly context without any tension but always with heavy weed consumption after a period of abstinence. Maybe some inner tension, somewhat subconscious about using? But that would be weird, since I am pretty open about it with everyone.

Anyway, thanks, situational avoidance and fainting - something to google for :)
The direct link between the emotions and memories, even deeply suppressed unconscious ones, and genuine biological states, conditions, effects is so real.

So there could be a deep rooted emotional factor, easily triggered, at the heart of your tendancy to faint.

I mean, even still, as a society, we still fail to appreciate that enough.

But we are getting better! ☺

Give clonazepam an honest try without abusing it and it wont let you down. if you are benzo naive then 1 mg should be good. for someone without a tolerance 2 mg would be just at the point where their speech would start to become slurred and partial amnesia would start setting in. anything above 2 mg without a tolerance is asking for a blackout if you ask me. ofcourse everyone is different, I saw a girl who was prescribed 1 mg lorazepam as needed for anxiety, she only got 20 pills a month and never took more than 1 mg of lorazepam, but one time she had no lorazepam and she took 0.25 mg of clonazepam (half of a 0.5 mg tab) and she was obviously intoxicated on benzos, full on slurring her speech etc. she remembers the whole thing but she was very surprised at how much it impaired her.

so ya, Id say try 1 mg at most to start, it should be as good as a 1 mg dose of xanax but has more muscle relaxation and stuff, and i find its anti anxiety properties to be respectable

Well yesterday I was able to have my prescription to buy clonazepam and I took 1 mg. It's true that it's much less sedative than xanax, I noticed a slight euphoria too (although it may have been because I took tramadol the day before) and it seems better for my social anxiety. The bad thing is that at night I took 1 mg. more and I didn't like that it makes me stutter and blackout. I did various things (I wrote nonsense things on the phone to my friends haha) or ate semi-conscious fruits and bread haha. From now on, I will only take 1mg. for every 24 hours. The next week 0.5 mg and the third 0.25 mg. so as to quit it. I do not want to be dependent on benzos, because I was a day without xanax and the withdrawal was not bad but it caused some muscle tension when reading and strange effects as if I was about to seizure (scary shit). I imagine this is what benzo-dependent people suffer by amplifying x 10 during wd.

I have some light situational anxiety and even in that situation I don't get any euphoria. You just feel "normal", like a huge icecube was just thrown into a pot of boiling water inside me. That said, I have noticed some stimulating effect of Diazepam and Etizolam as they lower my resistance to actually do things (mostly things I was contemplating for a while but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger). Keep in mind that I only use small dosages (10 mg Diazepam and 1 mg Etizolam). Xanax only knocks me out, I don't understand why anyone would use that recreationally.

Yeah I don't know how people abuse xanax if I didn't notice any euphoria either. Clonazepam gave me a slightly stimulating effect, at least in the beginning. That's not what I expected.

good to hear you got your Rx for anxiety SuperSonic. i sometimes forget how strong clonazepam is due to my tolerance. It would probably take me like 12 mg in one dose to enter the state you described, and trust me, at that point, you have a real problem, so please, for the love of god, Im begging you, please keep it at 1 mg and please dont use long term. not telling you how to live or medicate, I sincerely just dont want to see a brother buelighter in my shoes ya know?

Last edited:
good to hear you got your Rx for anxiete SuperSonic. i sometimes forget how strong clonazepam is due to my tolerance. It would probably take me like 12 mg in one dose to enter the state you described, and trust me, at that point, you have a real problem, so please, for the love of god, Im begging you, please keep it at 1 mg and please dont use long term. not telling you how to live or medicate, I sincerely just dont want to see a brother buelighter in my shoes ya know?

Yeah bro. In fact, in 3 weeks I plan to stop taking benzos (I'm going to do some tappering). Clonazepam is effective for my social anxiety and seizures but the wd scares me too much since I have heard such terrible stories about it.
I prefer to try some ssri or snri as I have taken them before and although they aren't as effective for anxiety like a benzo, wd does not seem complicated to me (even after taking almost two years sertraline).

Well yesterday I was able to have my prescription to buy clonazepam and I took 1 mg. It's true that it's much less sedative than xanax, I noticed a slight euphoria too (although it may have been because I took tramadol the day before) and it seems better for my social anxiety. The bad thing is that at night I took 1 mg. more and I didn't like that it makes me stutter and blackout. I did various things (I wrote nonsense things on the phone to my friends haha) or ate semi-conscious fruits and bread haha. From now on, I will only take 1mg. for every 24 hours. The next week 0.5 mg and the third 0.25 mg. so as to quit it. I do not want to be dependent on benzos, because I was a day without xanax and the withdrawal was not bad but it caused some muscle tension when reading and strange effects as if I was about to seizure (scary shit). I imagine this is what benzo-dependent people suffer by amplifying x 10 during wd.
Whoops! I might be in for a little shitstorm at some point myself then. I started taking Etizolam a year ago, only a few days off early on, currently Im using 10-12 mg daiy now.

It has become a true psychological addiction to handle very extreme anxiety, which was literally threatening my life long before I even discovered Etizolam and I never had any addictive drug habits before, except a 4 week kratom binge 2019.

Otherwise a lifelong cannabis user, organic outdoor, mostly edible but vapor here and there as well.
But I know I will need to be very determined to taper down my etiz use and psychological dependance.

Im very strong willed, just very sick and malnourished and I have a very poor stress handlng capability.

I'm still waiting for some desperately needed mental health support from CBT, after my year of waiting got postponed in April.

I will need support for this when I firmly address it. Also a local drug charity is closed who could help me.

So just one day at a time atm. Hoping for the best, trying to stay positive and calm, panic attacks are a hige issue for me, but mostly due to intense daily physical sufferring from my Lyme Disease and severe allergies etc.

Last edited:
@AutoTripper I'm currently suffering from a tramadol addiction so I don't want to have a benzo addiction too, that wd would be hell lol. :eek:
I have always considered myself to be a guy with a not so addictive personality, I was able to quit smoking cold turkey and I never smoke again since 2015. But tramadol instantly hit me on my depression and made it go away completely, in addition help me a looot with my social anxiety. It gave me so much energy that I could workout every day and I came to look better than ever. My self-esteem was through the roof. But, everything that goes up has to come down and tramadol no longer works so effective, but at least as an antidepressant it still works well.
Clonazepam reminded me of something the first time I took tramadol, somewhat stimulating and anxiolytic but tramadol gave me much more euphoria.