• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Can you feel euphoria with benzos if you don't have anxiety?

supersonic89

Bluelighter
Hi Bluelighters.

I always ask myself this, since I don't consider myself an anxious person, maybe depressed, but benzos have never caused me euphoria, not even like alcohol and not to mention opioids. Is it a requirement to suffer from some degree of anxiety to feel the high and euphoria of benzos?
Benzos just make me sleep. Right now I just took 2mg of alprazolam and I'm just feeling sedated and sleepy. I have a low tolerance for benzos btw.

Same here. They just make me sleepy/numb/sometimes angry. But I bet if someone is having a severe panic attack and finds a quick fix for it they'll release some endorphins when they don't feel like their life is at risk anymore.

In the absence of relief of anxiety, they usually eo not cause much euphoria unless via routes of administration that result in rapid blood levels (like IV or vaped) and even then unreliability. Benzos also greatly enhance stimulant euphoria.

Some (like temazepam) can induce a stoning body high as well.

Benzodiazepine reinforcement and discrimination studies have been conducted in primates (not sure about rodents) and i think the consensus is that they are somewhat reinforcing. They seem to be less reinforcing than ethanol.

I sort of find the disinhibition of less sedating benzos (alprazolam, etizolam etc) to be sort of a euphoric in a specific way. That fuck it, "I can do -- or get away with -- anything" feeling is really quite empowering. It is very stimulating to me. Problem is I start to become manic and egotistical. I am disinhibited naturally; benzo cut the break cables completely. Womanizing increases to a deviant level. Business prowess improves too; ambitiousness increases massively, but the talking game is so good that all of a sudden im in over my head or unable to follow through. I become quite to argument or even physical confrontation. And it opens a hole in me that leads me to want to consume more drugs.

Next thing you know im carrying a firearm and doing all kinds of bizarre stuff in bizarre places. This is the most extreme iteration of it, but it has happened (in conjunction with stimulants). It turns me into a charlatan of the highest degree (a sort of catch me if you can figure). I should write a book about it: "oh the places you'll go: my life on benzodiazepines".

While I have only a handful of regrets, and its an awesome and liberating feeling, I'm best off not cutting those break cables.

Hi br!
In forums like BL and DF, Ive read a lot of threads about recreational value of benzos. Even I started my own thread to discuss how to stay awake on them

https://www.bluelight.org/xf/threads/benzos-how-to-enjoy-and-stay-awake-on-them.892616/

As u know, psychoactives affect ppl differently. Most benzos are not fully recreational specially when u have built a tolerance. According to my knowledge, personal exp and what I've read about benzo abuse, They produce a mild and short-acting buzz when...

1. U are highly anxious.
2. U use them to potentiate the effect of other substances.
3. U suffer from insomnia.

Diaz is my fav one among all benzo I've ever tried. Diaz tablets at low doses (like 2-5 mg) make me sedated/light-headed and last a bit longer than alpraz but redosing will make u unable to stay up.

Another advantage that I forgot to mention is Muscle Relaxation caused by Bezos like Diaz and chlor-Poxide

Only time i ever felt some form or euphoria was with midazolam, triazolam and lorazepam and that was with IV, apart from that only high doses of oral had some form of euphoria but only lasted a few minutes and then it was noddyville. Oh and flurazepam has given me a slight feeling too but also at a higher dose then usually recommended

Only time i ever felt some form or euphoria was with midazolam, triazolam and lorazepam and that was with IV, apart from that only high doses of oral had some form of euphoria but only lasted a few minutes and then it was noddyville. Oh and flurazepam has given me a slight feeling too but also at a higher dose then usually recommended

I see. and agree.

If the consumer finds a way to stay up on them, the slight euphoria of the benzo might last longer and the user will have longer opportunity to enjoy the sedation (or slight euphoria perhaps)

Edit: I think "sedation" doesn't always mean being high. Imagine u are told to speak at a conference/presentation. some small amount of common Benzos can pump u up and make u more confident to speak in the front of clients, boss, managers and workmates.

Last edited:
Edit: I think "sedation" doesn't always mean being high. Imagine u are told to speak at a conference/presentation. some small amount of common Benzos can pump u up and make u more confident to speak in the front of clients, boss, managers and workmates.
I think in this situation or circumstance a low dose would be enough for GAD and a bit of a confidence boost but then i won't go with benzos that are more on the sedating and hypnotic side especially the hypnotic side

I've only ever experienced euphoria from benzos when used in combination with other substances like alcohol, opiates etc. By themselves, I don't find them very recreational, but they are a godsend during comedowns or for anxiety.

You don't feel euphoria when you have a tolerance. Can really think of maybe 5/6 times I ever felt true euphoria from xanax / kpins, and they were all after lots of clean time.

The 1st time I took xanax, was definitely euphoria. But never did feel that good again.

https://www.wikihow.com/Stay-Awake-on-Xanax

Sorry to post it again. But if there's nothing but benzo(s) in your stash, read the link above. It suggests some cheap/easy ways of enjoying benzos like xanax and staying awake on them. When the benzo starts to kick in, taking a walk, talking to friends, doing sports, jogging or any physical activity can help you stay awake and alert. Yet do NOT expect any euphoria similar to the one u feel when u are on narcotics. Plus The mate TheInvisibleStoner is right. Benzo addicts take benzo to feel "ok". They no longer feel the slight buzz that i already explained in my previous posts of this thread.

Coming from the opioid route I thought xanax would have euphoria based on what others have said. For me there is absolutely no euphoria. It's still a step up from booze though. Never been a fan of drinking unless it would lead to sex ;) At least with benzos you get the alcohol buzz without the poisonous part and brutal hangovers.

Klonopin is the closest I've ever been to saying that a benzo had euphoria. Still.. I wonder if benzo addicts have to be the kind of person that has prominent anxiety issues from the get-go and never truly realized how bad their condition was until benzos allowed them to live anxiety free. Personally, things like opiates and stimulants have better anti-anxiety effects for me than benzos do. Benzos simply strip my personality away from me. I've also had the reverse effect on benzos before--extreme paranoia. Cannot account for why that would ever happen but I've heard from other people it's possible.

The 1st time I took xanax, was definitely euphoria. But never did feel that good again.

Yesterday was the first time I took alprazolam (xanax) and I definitely did not feel euphoria. Just a little sedation, until eventually I fell asleep. I slept excellent in any case, I must say.
I have always heard people say that alprazolam is the benzo that causes the most euphoria due to its short action, but in my case it was not like that. Maybe I should try it on a day that I do feel really anxious, although that rarely happens to me. In general, I am a fairly calm person. I suspected that I had a some degree of social anxiety, but apparently it's only introversion or shyness because I have never felt nervous with people around me, I just prefer to be alone. Lorazepam or clonazepam helps me more in that regard.
P.S. I took alprazolam (2 mg) with tramadol last night, I don't know if that has influenced something, since in general tramadol does cause me some anxiolysis.

Yesterday was the first time I took alprazolam (xanax) and I definitely did not feel euphoria. Just a little sedation, until eventually I fell asleep. I slept excellent in any case, I must say.
I have always heard people say that alprazolam is the benzo that causes the most euphoria due to its short action, but in my case it was not like that. Maybe I should try it on a day that I do feel really anxious, although that rarely happens to me. In general, I am a fairly calm person. I suspected that I had a some degree of social anxiety, but apparently it's only introversion or shyness because I have never felt nervous with people around me, I just prefer to be alone. Lorazepam or clonazepam helps me more in that regard.
P.S. I took alprazolam (2 mg) with tramadol last night, I don't know if that has influenced something, since in general tramadol does cause me some anxiolysis.

Drugs have different effects for different people. Depending on what your attributes are (physically and mentally) you will never find yourself addicted to a substance. I theorize that even a terrible doctor who had someone take opiates or benzos for years without any affinity for them (the patient) would have an easier time escaping dependency and never looking back. For addiction to take place--yes the physical aspect is highly important--but the mental aspect of addiction is what truly makes it unbearable to escape from.

I will never be dependent on benzos or addicted to them ever. It's just not an effect I ever think about or crave. I keep forgetting they exist lol. But opioids are something I think about often sadly and I can't seem to undo that despite whatever perspective I try to maintain. I just don't think any particular drug would be addictive for anyone across the board. I did stray a little bit off topic. I guess the point is that some will always find benzos to be irresistible but I do not really find them to be recreational. I don't understand the recreational hype behind alprazolam that society has created but to each their own.

I've had severe anxiety my whole life so taking almost any benzo or analogue is quite euphoric (with a few exceptions). Euphoric in the sense that a burden has been lifted off my back. That euphoric feeling when you rush to the bathroom and take a huge shit, piss or vomit. That sudden disappearance of burden/sickness can be very euphoric in a sense.

That being said, compared with real "euphoria" the only benzo that produces cognitive euphoria IMO is alprazolam. Everything else doesn't compare.

However, compared to a lot of people on these forums I have not had privy to a lot of the good RC benzos out there (there are so many!). I've had a few, but nothing better than alprazolam.

I honestly keep a distance from benzos because they are one of my drugs of choice and are so amazingly effective at anxiety reduction they are insanely addictive for me... and a hardcore benzo withdrawal is something I NEVER want to experience again. Ever.

My depiction of "downer" euphoria:

1. Opioids
2. alprazolam
3. alcohol
10. all other benzos

I've never tried barbituates and every other downer I've tried is not worth mentioning. In fact, for me at least, certain benzos can actually produce feelings of depression, agitation and irritability (I'm looking at you etizolam).

Last edited: