• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Can you beat a meth addiction on your own or do you need a rehab?

You cant do it on your own sorry to say. Gotta have some support system. Sober living and 12 step meetings and working the steps are your best bet. Thats the only thing that kept me clean as long as i was. As soon as i started slacking i fell off. People dont just use meth because they are fine and dandy. They have shit going on and they dont know how to deal woth it properly. Its a way to escape from reality. Only new coping tools and new friends etc etc will lead to success.
This is mostly true......however, I used rehab and 12-Step groups many times for alcohol and other drugs with very limited success. I quit meth on my own with no problems whatsoever. YMMV

Ive never done meth but i read a book called tweak written by nic sheff. He was an addict and wrote a memoir. He did meth and needed to enter a rehabilitation center a lot of times. I hear the withdrawals are terrible. My mom does meth and has been in several rehabs. I knew a 14 year old who did meth too.

I dont know what state of mind you are in or will enter as well as your physical health and its better to be safe than sorry and enter rehab. Its not going to be fun, no one wants to do it, but its the right choice.

Ive entered a locked institution before that helped me stay clean from substances. I was there for five months then entered a group home. Ive also been on house arrest and been drug tested almost every week by the court and that helped me stay clean.

Why risk using again and suffering from health problems when you can do it the safer way. Yes its likely youll use after rehab but they can seriously help you if you let them.

Look man, ive had some shitty withdrawals before and i cant imagine what withdrawling from meth cold turkey must be like. The possible temptations, the "bugs" crawling in your skin sensation, the paranoia, the insomnia, the seizures, etc. They can give you medications to help you withdrawal if you go to rehab.

Whether you believe it or not eight months is a long time man. If it was a one time thing or within the span of a few weeks thats a different story. I did heroin within the span of a few weeks. I went cold turkey after the cops found heroin on me and the withdrawal was shitty but not nearly as bad as long term users.

You got this 💕
The withdrawal ftom meth is NOTHING like any kind of benzo or opiod, it just fucks your mind up and feel so weak and like nothing is fun anymore. I just lost everything, my kids, my home, my bf, everything. all from something that isnt physically addictive. I cant believe how my life has gone down the tubes in just a short time of using this

Oh man you just reminded me when I came off xanax, I was ssooo desperate for more so I could taper down but I was unable to leave my house it seemed. Even too anxious to just text a supplier never mind phone them. Pure insanity in hell.
how much xanax were you taking?? My PCP is tapering me off now and it fucking sucks:mad:

how much xanax were you taking?? My PCP is tapering me off now and it fucking sucks:mad:
I went through detox from klonazapam. I was taking 4 to 5mg daily. My shrink supervised a gradual taper that took about 6 weeks to complete. They were pills from a pharmacy so I'm pretty sure they were legit. The detox was brutal. I couldn't get a decent night's sleep for almost a year. Also want to mention the danger of detoxing from benzos without medical supervision. Benzodiapine withdrawal can be fatal (so can alcohol).

Hang in there! You can do this.

I have been a little over 5 months sober from meth and plan to keep it that way. I’m not in any rehab and don’t plan on going. Do you guys think someone can stay sober from meth on their own? Also those who beat it and stayed quit, did you do it alone?
You made it pretty far already, never use again . This is it , 3 more years of non use- you'll be golden.

I did it all alone, detox, recovery, I even blocked all my old friends from contact. It's the best way honestly. I remember being angry and frustrated often. It wasn't fun , but considering the last time I used was 2008 , seems like it worked. I don't even remember what that feeling is like. Never crave it , ever , you could smoke right in front of me , I'll just walk away.

It's been enough time I've fully recovered.

I've been doing meth on and off for almost ten years in total, for several months at a time but was clean the past two years. Just relapsed pretty good but I'm ok because of my people.

Problem was it was cheap so I had a lot and I didn't tell anyone I was using. I really needed someone to tell me it wasn't real.

I was able to use "responsibly" very small amounts and still sleep every night as long as I kept it to morning use.

But the past week I binged and yea, after a few days it's hard to tell what's real. And I'm fairly decent at knowing what's real and not when I'm tripping. Not this time snuck up on me.

I don't think you need rehab though, I've turned it down in the past two years to stay clean. You just need your people, friends family bluelight etc that you can talk to. And water.

Staying clean is undoubtedly possible without rehab, but it can be challenging. Many factors play a role, including your support system, determination, and coping strategies.
Some people successfully recover independently, but others find that rehab or a detox center can provide essential structure, therapy, and a supportive environment. It's all about what works best for you and your unique journey.
If you're determined and have a solid plan in place, you can absolutely continue on your path to recovery. Just remember that reaching out for support, whether from professionals or friends, can be a valuable resource on this challenging journey.

Last edited:
We are all fucked ....Lets be honest .. Dead man walking ...Embrace the challenge ...Acceptance !!!!!! Do the next right thing and treat people with respect...Game Over! Good Luck

You cant do it on your own sorry to say. Gotta have some support system. Sober living and 12 step meetings and working the steps are your best bet. Thats the only thing that kept me clean as long as i was. As soon as i started slacking i fell off. People dont just use meth because they are fine and dandy. They have shit going on and they dont know how to deal woth it properly. Its a way to escape from reality. Only new coping tools and new friends etc etc will lead to success.

That is blatantly false that one can not do it on their own. It’s dangerous to imply to people that 12 steps is the way as in the way.

It’s a way. There are many ways. Yes support is helpful usually, but there are many ways people get sober and stay sober. That’s even in the big book.

What if one does not fit into the 12 steps groups or the program?

Not saying it’s bad program at all. But say I hate AA, can I not get clean then? It pushes defeatist attitude if one doesn’t fit into aa.

“Well, guess I’ll just keep using because I hate AA and it’s the only way”

Last edited:
That is blatantly false that one can not do it on their own. It’s dangerous to imply to people that 12 steps is the way as in the way.

It’s a way. There are many ways. Yes support is helpful usually, but there are many ways people get sober and stay sober. That’s even in the big book.

What if one does not fit into the 12 steps groups or the program?

Not saying it’s bad program at all. But say I hate AA, can I not get clean then? It pushes defeatist attitude if one doesn’t fit into aa.

“Well, guess I’ll just keep using because I hate AA and it’s the only way”
If its anything like the NA I visited. Do you like ritual's like hug's, reading the steps together dipped in something inbetween religion and sekt.

Well that NA actually sucked as they didn't even reacted to response call's. Most are probably better.

Detox quality is very dependant on location, over here. And budget dependant, celebritie's use private clinic's.

Now to get sober from Benzo or Alcohol, I think the Ashston Manual coupled with will and a cooperating dr. (who will prescribe the benzo and monitor the taper)
In case Alcohol needs to be switched to a Benzo (preferably Diazepam), this is not totally painless.:cry:
But it will prevent seizures and cover the GABA-a part. When switched the Benzo can then slowly tapered.

If its anything like the NA I visited. Do you like ritual's like hug's, reading the steps together dipped in something inbetween religion and sekt.

Well that NA actually sucked as they didn't even reacted to response call's. Most are probably better.

Detox quality is very dependant on location, over here. And budget dependant, celebritie's use private clinic's.

Now to get sober from Benzo or Alcohol, I think the Ashston Manual coupled with will and a cooperating dr. (who will prescribe the benzo and monitor the taper)
In case Alcohol needs to be switched to a Benzo (preferably Diazepam), this is not totally painless.:cry:
But it will prevent seizures and cover the GABA-a part. When switched the Benzo can then slowly tapered.
Still I'd be wary of the Ashton manual. You need a plan for when things go wrong, a support network etc. My best friend passed a couple of years ago, he quit drinking but went hard on the benzos after. It's good to have a professional monitoring you etc (and friends who know what's up) but sadly it's so taboo having an addiction and/or seeking medical help for one. :(

I agree that a support system is very important when getting off of drugs.

If I could go back in time, I would have checked myself into some rehab while on meth and worked on getting clean from benzos at the same time. I would have pushed in to NA/AA, and I think it would have been easier and faster than what I did.

Personally, I found the Ashton manual was overall useless. I wasn't able to quit benzos until I just stopped after a 2-month taper. I had tried longer tapers many times, and failed every time. I feel that the internet makes acute withdrawal much worse than it actually is. It IS bad for a week or two, but the hardest part is PAWS. And this is for any drug. Tapering has value, but not for months and not with some ridiculous pseudoscientific approach. Reading other websites where people are trying to take like 100 micrograms of Valium from a 2 milligram pill is nuts.

It takes months and maybe years for your brain and mood to reset after drug withdrawal. I quit benzos about one year after quitting meth. It took one year after that for my cognition to return to a level where I could function in life. I did this totally alone, with two elderly parents with dementia to care for. Crazy.

I should have swallowed my pride and found some kind of AA/NA group to join. These days, that is the regret I ruminate over the most.

Still I'd be wary of the Ashton manual. You need a plan for when things go wrong, a support network etc. My best friend passed a couple of years ago, he quit drinking but went hard on the benzos after. It's good to have a professional monitoring you etc (and friends who know what's up) but sadly it's so taboo having an addiction and/or seeking medical help for one. :(
Medical help is out of the question, over here the understanding of slowly tapering is that you create long term addict's. Also the switch from Alcohol, which is not painless even u.i.o. 80 mg Diazepam. Which was ime was a way to high dose for me. I was high as a kite 17 day's. And then what.
Just as mad as 1/4-ring a 2 mg Diazepam on the other hand.

So the next day on my request they halved it. And then they rapidly ween you of in max. five day's. which if you see the resemblence of the 2 substances, if you switch following Ashton seems wise. A slow taper of the Benzo would imo been better. Then the 5 day policy. Btw the detox facility had an succes rate of 10 %.

My own doc. wouldn't even dare to help me, so I will to my best abbilety do a at home version of it. Norflurazepam supposedly is quite similar to Diazepam, I have to use volumetric measuring. Pellets are tiny and not medical standardized.
A bit of medical help would def be the prefered route I'll go. but there is no dr. or clinic in my Province capable or knowledgable on this.

My family knows which is good, everybody knows which is how it is. To bad dealing with third partie's involves stigmatizing. Assumptions. Disrespect to the law. And void of humanity. Don't really matter, you know.

Don't get the impression i'm depressed, dissapointed in the system yes. 'Forward the Revolution/ PLUR). Searching for the most positive approach.

But eating pie this weekend with my daughter, ex and "the ol' wise woman" my granny. Is what its about, we had some troubles with the pie's (a disaster online ordering).

"Don'you worry about a thing, every little thing (concerning the pie) gonna be allright".

Forgot to mention I do attend some groups/ local network's. one specific PTSD oriented course, but then again I also lot's of times don't go. Sabotaging my own repair.
And an addiction practitioner, which visit's I alway's attend.

Last edited:
I agree that a support system is very important when getting off of drugs.

If I could go back in time, I would have checked myself into some rehab while on meth and worked on getting clean from benzos at the same time. I would have pushed in to NA/AA, and I think it would have been easier and faster than what I did.

Personally, I found the Ashton manual was overall useless. I wasn't able to quit benzos until I just stopped after a 2-month taper. I had tried longer tapers many times, and failed every time. I feel that the internet makes acute withdrawal much worse than it actually is. It IS bad for a week or two, but the hardest part is PAWS. And this is for any drug. Tapering has value, but not for months and not with some ridiculous pseudoscientific approach. Reading other websites where people are trying to take like 100 micrograms of Valium from a 2 milligram pill is nuts.

It takes months and maybe years for your brain and mood to reset after drug withdrawal. I quit benzos about one year after quitting meth. It took one year after that for my cognition to return to a level where I could function in life. I did this totally alone, with two elderly parents with dementia to care for. Crazy.

I should have swallowed my pride and found some kind of AA/NA group to join. These days, that is the regret I ruminate over the most.
Its a bit to much I get but compared to a five day taper its evolution.

I'll use it as guideline not actually follow their long taper. Just slower then what it is practisionized here. 5 day's vs year's according to Ashton. I 'll take the middle road.

While many people do require entering a treatment facility for addiction, there are some people, a minority of them, that can get off substance X without doing so. Not only do I work with some who have successfully done so, but I've done it myself. Long ago I was using Cocaine daily, and had access to tons of it, and having a large supply on hand for a prolonged period of time made it easy to use daily. It got to the point where I was doing at least a gram a day, sometimes 2. And once it turned on me entirely all I did was use it, feel euphoria for a few minutes, then everything after that was a misery trip. I did away with that addiction as my life was spiraling at the time, and while it wasn't easy or fun, I did away with that slavery. I also successfully got off of Fentanyl, Ocycodone, Hydrocodone, Morphine and Dilaudid after being very physically dependent on them all over time, being addicted to them pretty deeply. It was hard, and again, there was plenty of suffering and misery. But, I am glad I did and feel great not having used any of the above in decades at this point. At this point, I only use psychedelics a few times a year and occasionally ingest some THC, rather sparingly. And even as far as weed goes, long ago I was a daily smoker and smoked from the time I woke up until the time I went to bed. But that in and of itself kept me from accomplishing what I was trying to accomplish so I actually quit smoking for 10 years before I went back. But it was an addiction, for sure, and I am glad I got off that train. And after all that, I don't feel like a slave to anything and adopted a "less is more" philosophy, which works for me, and don't feel the "need" for any of the above, but I can partake occasionally and that is more than enough. I know this doesn't directly address Meth, but just to offer up a little hope. I must admit I grew a lot having gone through all that and just had to get really honest with myself.