• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Can you beat a meth addiction on your own or do you need a rehab?

From my understanding you've never had a heavy meth addiction so yeah you can definitely do it on your own

Unironically I got off meth because I was too busy being a shaking, anxious, delerium having mess--thanks benzos!
How long were you on it? I was on it for 4 months

I absolutely believe we can overcome any addiction or bad habit on our own. The physical body has to go through some pain when we quit but our mind is what KEEPS us addicted.

People that have the right mindset can do it on their own. People that have had enough and are committed to the hard work it will take. We can't take it lightly. We have to give it all we got. Our brain wants to keep us addicted because we trained it to like what we did. But I am a firm believer in mind over matter.

Congrats on your clean time and stay strong man. The life you have when you come out the other side is so much nicer and fulfilling than the life we had in addiction.

Yes you can stay clean. I did it on my own. No help, no rehab. I was clean for 12 years. The one thing that you will all be facing is the need. Sometimes you will think of using or some random thing will remind you. Just find something to take your mind of it. I was doing great until a few weeks ago when i got really really bad news, and said fuck it. But even now, i go days without having to use. Hope it helps.

I had a 1-year-long meth addiction a few years back and I beat it on my own.
BUT I had been to rehab for alcohol and other drugs several times before. I think rehab can help, but I don't think it is essential-- unless it's a serious physical dependency, like with alcohol&benzos. WDs from those drugs are often life-threatening, so one needs medical assistance.
To overcome ANY addiction it all comes down to this: You gotta wanna not use more than you wanna use.

Ive never done meth but i read a book called tweak written by nic sheff. He was an addict and wrote a memoir. He did meth and needed to enter a rehabilitation center a lot of times. I hear the withdrawals are terrible. My mom does meth and has been in several rehabs. I knew a 14 year old who did meth too.

I dont know what state of mind you are in or will enter as well as your physical health and its better to be safe than sorry and enter rehab. Its not going to be fun, no one wants to do it, but its the right choice.

Ive entered a locked institution before that helped me stay clean from substances. I was there for five months then entered a group home. Ive also been on house arrest and been drug tested almost every week by the court and that helped me stay clean.

Why risk using again and suffering from health problems when you can do it the safer way. Yes its likely youll use after rehab but they can seriously help you if you let them.

Look man, ive had some shitty withdrawals before and i cant imagine what withdrawling from meth cold turkey must be like. The possible temptations, the "bugs" crawling in your skin sensation, the paranoia, the insomnia, the seizures, etc. They can give you medications to help you withdrawal if you go to rehab.

Whether you believe it or not eight months is a long time man. If it was a one time thing or within the span of a few weeks thats a different story. I did heroin within the span of a few weeks. I went cold turkey after the cops found heroin on me and the withdrawal was shitty but not nearly as bad as long term users.

You got this 💕

I was addicted to meth in 2016-2017 and was a daily IV user from April 2017-August 2017.

I couldn't stop on my own, I needed help from a then friend who kind of got me on the right path, then I signed up to an intensive outpatient rehab programme that was being run by my psychologist business I went to.

I don't think you *need* to have rehabilitation support to beat a meth addiction, particularly if you haven't had a very serious one. It recommended that you do however organise some form of wraparound support to help you, like drug and alcohol counselling just to keep you going.

Compared to WD from alcohol, benzos, or opiates, meth WD is a walk in the park.

Yes, I've experienced all of the above more than a few times.
Never felt physical withdrawl from meth.Irritability,increased apetite,sleep disturbances,fatigue,cravings.Downers are phisically addictive..may be ad drugs also

Definitely. Some say that it works better in various ways. Good to have on the table to consider, I wager!

From my understanding you've never had a heavy meth addiction so yeah you can definitely do it on your own

Unironically I got off meth because I was too busy being a shaking, anxious, delerium having mess--thanks benzos!
Oh man you just reminded me when I came off xanax, I was ssooo desperate for more so I could taper down but I was unable to leave my house it seemed. Even too anxious to just text a supplier never mind phone them. Pure insanity in hell.

I have been a little over 5 months sober from meth and plan to keep it that way. I’m not in any rehab and don’t plan on going. Do you guys think someone can stay sober from meth on their own? Also those who beat it and stayed quit, did you do it alone?
I used meth on and off for 20 years. Some instances were harder than others, to be honest out of all the drugs I've been addicted to it was one of the easier ones to drop. Sleep 3-4 days and eat a bunch of junk food to replenish all the weight I lost and I was back to normal in less than a week. Yeah i had to do it alone each time. Speaking of that, i do remember meth withdrawal being mostly emotional for me, like i would feel this great loss and cry and be sad while my receptors normalized, it was definitely traumatic in a way.

I was mostly addicted to the sex, how sexy I felt and how thin I could be on meth...oo and how sharp my mind was. I already have a high IQ but when I did meth I was so fucking witty and girls just couldn't get enough, so I used A LOT during my prime as a sex enhancer. By enhancer of course I mean otherworldly mind-blowing inexplicable sex. That was probably the hardest to let go were those two things. However nothing great lasts forever - you never know what these street thugs are selling you, and eventually my beautiful hair started falling out and bones eaten up and just melting in general. You can only do that shit for so long before it gets you. Congrats on taking the plunge to quit and were here if you need us.

Opiates however are the bane of my existence.

I was on meth, off and on for about 3 years. Snorting, smoking, IV, little bit of everything. For me, it took me going to rehab to get me to just stop using drugs. It's not the case for everyone, but in a lot of cases, just that quick month away from all substance use is a life saver.

Meth is quite insidious. If it hadn't wrecked my life as thoroughly as it did, I might not have had as smooth of a time getting off of it.

Bearing in mind I take regular amphetamine for ADHD, as I have for several years off and on. It has certainly been very helpful in staving off some of my cravings and allowing me to feel normal and like myself somewhat.

Meth gave me a surge of energy and enthusiasm that has been impossible to replicate in normal life. As much as I want that and wish I could have it, the pitfalls are just too serious to consider using it again.

Aside from just one isolated incident in which I smoked a bit of crystal that a random guy from the bar had, I have been off of meth for 10 months. I've had 4 rehab trips since 2014. I think I personally needed it.

6 Months clean today. No rehab. Quit on my own.

When my use repeatedly resulted in distortions of reality, (and poor performance at work) it no longer became pleasurable and I knew it was time to quit. I dumped out what I had, told my buddy to keep the $150 I'd already put down on another bag, and said I'm done with it. The first two weeks of "withdrawl" were the worst, but nothing horrifying. I slept a lot, sure. I didn't accomplish a whole lot, sure, but then again I didn't have a job to go to at the time. After 3 months I had my energy levels back 100%, actually, I had too much energy and kept going manic. At 6 months today, properly medicated, and I have plenty of energy, tons of energy in-fact.

I don't miss Meth in the least, although I'm sort of different when it comes to most.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have been at rehab 7 times, totally +45 months of my life, gone to the trash becouse was non-voluntary, except the last one, as deficit said, i feel i need to be AWAY from the posibility of buy meth, or i will continue use it really compulsively, i starting loose and still have lets say, self steem, becouse i know how miserable my life become, not all meth related, but was a daily partner or the disaster of my 20s.

That rehab was a very different place, the same thing... but involutary rehab is criminal, but here the centers are owned by mafia and they are registered as civil associations, plus no one cares how a problematic addict is passing the rehab, i wasnt really problematic, but i was near to be biochemstry eng., my stupid and vague beliefs at that point of my life maked me to decide continue with a personal project that broke just few months i left the uni and cuz i even didnt asked for down them from the system or bye see u, just stopped to go at school 2 and half years, and they cant acept me back, they give me a partial document, and is just useful to get 1 1/2 years less of 5 1/2 of start at other university from zero., i dont know what to do with my life and 2 of that years was very dark and miserable, and coincide with the most hardcore meth abuse period of my life too.

I need to thank rehab, i hope to not need it again, but last time i asked for it becouse i sold everything i had except clothes, and started to ask my dads money and my bro, and fucked addict shit, and i say myself with the feeling of sadness smoking without more effect what i can got everyday (my use was for more than 6 months idk the grams, maybe little less than 1, super good quality lol, my city is the main of one of the 3 states whehre are the meth biggst lab that provide worldwide shit, and mainly to USA and less to Europe and SA, but the mexican drugs are all continents at diferent volume and cost.

Well, as obsessive, i found a very dangerous and i was near homicide more than one time becouse here get to do that things and make angry violent ppl is not a joke, police and military are bullshit, i know how all works, they just let them sell or do drugs, i guess there are nice bribery and incomes in general, even to the citizens, and when there are no laws in a product that gives you money and power/freedom more than others, or much more, people do incredible inhuman things to get that product, the money, power and freedom that gives to them.

Im high sorry just smoked a pot and its not common.... but.. i was doing extremely nice shit and literally had my pipe with me all day getting a hit every... 5 min idk, sometimes i need to smoke between getting foods, or really desired to smoke at same time i was eating, i had several new pipes and ridiculous good and big ammounts of shit to do, i just used pipes 1 time mostly, was insane but i ended with personal consecuences im still paying, thanks god this days of my life are very good, what i was living was a nightrame, very sad history, even this days happened very shitty things, things that hurt you like fuck... like someone u known since have memory suicided, and was a brillant person... but even i dont take it as excuse of any more than make an objective to heal the family relationship, that are very toxic in general, but im having daily convivence with my dads since the day my sis suicided, 21 feb, Celeste Sanchez... why she done it? idk but i have seen she had some discomfort in the life, i have it too, and i see tendences but other ones doesnt are acord as manifestations of tendence suicide but i always have been suicidal, everyday util today, i know i will no do it after my sis done, just my dadds doesnt deserve it, but i had very deep toughs in a obsessive way, but i havent done it becouse i still had meth to smoke, when the meth ended cuz i broke with a "gf", a ex convict that was doing nice things to get some money with a lot of good shit, idk if she is still alive haha, the last times i see her i got forced rehab, i was hanging out with a lot of people that know a shit of them becouse are their "friends", and locally you can identify that people, and its very inhuman to do things, they are sick with the impunity they have from any justice, plus comite acts, okay torture, its ok, i feel the reasons, not heavy torture, but just something no one wants at the point to dont try to create competition to the mafia, i guess that only in mexico are hundreds of city and estate goverments that are literally the narcos of the area, even in my city, the politics that are at govt are well known as part of one traditional mafia, they arent terrible persons, are doctors with postgrades and ok, but, i want to explain how the govt and narco are exactly the same and all know it, i will make a post with pics of the point at few mts from m y house, 1km idk, they even have luminose cheap leds, and inside slot betting machines (of course, you need a permision to have one of that working, and i thin they asked before put them, well that its an indicative that is a minor drug selling place, in this one you can see always at least 3 regular bad motorcycles and 3-4 big trucks that have a sticker saying "im a narco truck", its like... the generic narco truck used to travel trough the Sierra Madre, when all the production occurrs, and big sellings national and worldwide).

Shit im going to take a bath... and im becaming alcohlic last days... hope not to dring today, i will relax and smoke something, this days are very hot climate to be dehydrated, and i smoke meth daily, plus alcohol is getting me really bad, i need to stop drinking so much liquor.

And... yes, dont do meth, i guess that for 90%+ is just ask for troubles, and for 15%+ is a life-changer, not for good, shit in their life, is for me, but all wasnt really bad, i thanks to gof im still alive and can do a lot of things i do daily and without that i had no reason to wake up or doing something like using meth and alcohol every second of my life?

Uh, sorry, meww

You cant do it on your own sorry to say. Gotta have some support system. Sober living and 12 step meetings and working the steps are your best bet. Thats the only thing that kept me clean as long as i was. As soon as i started slacking i fell off. People dont just use meth because they are fine and dandy. They have shit going on and they dont know how to deal woth it properly. Its a way to escape from reality. Only new coping tools and new friends etc etc will lead to success.