• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can I use diazepam (Valium) for a week straight?

Jacobb1991

Greenlighter
I’m using roughly 50mg of Valium a day for a week straight, will i be ok with withdrawals? I do have a bit of a tolerance from Xanax abuse so that’s why I have chosen to use Valium for this stressful week I have ahead of me.

That is a bit of a high dose, I think you'll have some rebound anxiety, sleep issues, but I think you could pull through OK even stopping Cold Turkey.

However, I don't suggest that route.

If you're gonna take 50 mg of valium for 7 days, you really need to take like 25 mg the next week, maybe 15-10 the next week and let your body taper down.

IDK if you've ever had a benzo W/D induced seizure, I haven't but I saw one in jail. And it was fucking scary man.

So that's my suggestions to you

I had a pretty serious Xanax dependance where I’d binge for a week or so straight at high doses, then battle the withdrawals for a week or so until I feel good and do it all over again. I have had minor to a little more serious benzo withdrawal but not to the point of seizures. That’s why I’ve switched to Valium to take on a stressful week here and there. I really don’t want to experience what I went through with Xanax which is why I’m asking if I’ll be ok if I do a slight Valium binge for a week. I know 50mg is fairly high, but like I said my tolerances are fairly high from my Xanax abuse previously.

The few times I have consumed etizolam for a week, usually not going about 4 or 5mg a night, definitely resulted in a week of restless nights. I can't imagine what withdrawals from higher/more consistent use would be like.

Never taken valium or xanax with any consistency though

Ye but etizolam is short acting and more like Xanax. Valium is more mellow and long acting so it takes longer to leave then body so the withdrawals are less severe. Well from what I have read. But I’m asking for peoples personal experience from Valium use for a week.

I wouldn’t. Wean off. There’s risk of seizures and such if you stop abruptly. That’s a pretty high dose.

And there’s literally nothing worse than benzodiazepines and alcohol withdrawals. They’re the only ones that can actually kill you. Opiates feel the worst, but you can’t die from it.

Taking 20mg in the morning, 20mg 8 hours later then 10mg 8 hours later. Might not even take the 10mg depending how I feel.

Nobody here can tell you if you will have seizures or not. Very (very) unlikely, but you could. Your health, and other drug usage is what matters. If someone is already seizure prone, a week of high dose benzos certainly could.

But again, nobody here can say for sure or not. Nor could a doctor.

Taper down. Cold turkey benzo withdrawals should never be done willingly. You will get some nasty rebound, that is for sure.

I know what you’re saying, but it’s only a weeks use, is a taper really necessary? If I do taper, then I’ll be using benzos for 2 - 3 weeks rather then 1 week. Wouldn’t that cause more mental side effects and worse insomnia?

Right, but what you are doing (taking such a high dose) is not normal.

Why do you need 50mg? If anything I would do 50, 40, 30, 20, 10mg. As it builds in your system you should be getting some good effects even off the 20/30 doses. Then see how you feel and taper down for a few days using 10mg to 5mg if you feel crappy.

I would not dare take 5mg of xanax for a week straight then just stop. Wouldn't take 5mg to start :)

Be careful.

I’m not planning on taking Xanax at all. Only Valium. I’ve experienced Xanax withdrawal and it’s torture. That’s why I’m taking Valium this time. And unfortunately cause my tolerance is high from Xanax, that’s why I’m taking a high dose of Valium.

@Jacobb1991 are these dosages merely for anxiety or also to get a bit of a nod. If you planning this i would start dropping dosages 5 days in and just taper from there incase. But before this valium binge you want to go on, when was the last time you had benzos and at what amount as that could also help give a little more advice and input of your current situation or exp/fun/goal or whatever you want to cal it.

I’m not planning on taking Xanax at all. Only Valium. I’ve experienced Xanax withdrawal and it’s torture. That’s why I’m taking Valium this time. And unfortunately cause my tolerance is high from Xanax, that’s why I’m taking a high dose of Valium.

With my little benzos experience, I could say that the faster the onset, the worse the withdrawal. I was taking 1 month alprazolam and 1 month clonazepam and I stopped taking clonazepam for many days and I have no problems, unline alprazolam. In fact, now I don't even think about taking it anymore.

If you're gonna take 50 mg of valium for 7 days, you really need to take like 25 mg the next week, maybe 15-10 the next week and let your body taper down.
Hell NO! Don't follow this advice. You can take valium for a week with that dose and be fine.
If you do it for 3 weeks straight like OpiateKiller here advised you to, you definitely get withdrawals.
50mg is a bit high, but if you have already some benzo tolerance I get it. I had extremely stressful time and ate alprozelam for 2 weeks straight 3-8mg a day, I stopped and I was fine.
You can do it.

Thank you “deadmanwalkin” someone talking with a bit of sense. That’s what I wanted, just someone who has done something similar to give myself a bit of piece of mind.

If you've had a benzo dependency in the past, you may have a kindling effect from even just a short period of abuse. Not as much of a concern with Valium due to the long half life - but I once had a seizure from taking around 30-40mg of xanax in a 5-7 days and stopping abruptly.

That is a bit of a high dose, I think you'll have some rebound anxiety, sleep issues, but I think you could pull through OK even stopping Cold Turkey.

However, I don't suggest that route.

IDK if you've ever had a benzo W/D induced seizure, I haven't but I saw one in jail. And it was fucking scary man.

So that's my suggestions to you
This will be worse for him , he’ll be fully addicted within 3 weeks.