• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Can doxylamine get you high?

Unisom sleep tabs apparently contain doxylamine only. Prepare to get unusually drowsy, and do not experiment with high doses. I doubt that all 'recreational' dosages pose toxicity risks mentioned but it is not exactly safe to just do whatever the hell you want with it.

My advice: get yourself another hobby. A lot of OTC meds like these are very dirty regarding side-effects, and deliriants are something to be avoided in general since they completely undermine your ability to think and behave with some constraint attuned to reality. Yeah psychedelics make you trip, hard even, but you don't lose your marbles by definition.

Also let's not flat out recommend that the OP take certain other drugs. I think it is good HR to generally say better refocus on psychedelics (although take it easy starting out with em) when it comes to seeking trippy altered states of consciousness but I don't see the point in telling to look into certain OTC meds.

So @ question 3: we don't allow "What should I take?" threads / questions. Some posts and bits were deleted.

Also thank you David, for coming here to warn us :)
Again: I really don't think he seeks the deliriant side of this drug, but the stoning effects that occur at low doses since he mentions it's use as a sleep aid.

Basically all antihistamines are attractive to a relatively small fraction of the drug users, but those that penetrate the BBB very well are usually the most attractive ones. Check if promethazine is OTC were you live, it is in many countries. That's one antihistamine that is actually anxiolytic and enjoyable to slightly more than the small fraction I mentioned.

When it comes to doxylamine vs diphenhydramine: They are subjectively very similar, but the former knocks me out even harder than the latter in my experience. Don't quote me on that because it's hard to compare the two, you'd have to find an equivalent dosage without being able to evaluate many criteria other than drowsiness.

@David357
As Solipsis has already pointed out: Very nice move of you to register for the sake of harm reduction, welcome to bluelight! The op still wasn't seeking the delirium that occurs at high dosages though.^^

Last edited:
Here you can get otc doxylamine, but i've never heard of anyone using it as a delirium inducing drug like diphenhydramine or dimenhydrinate... I would very much doubt you could get any euphoria from it though.

I did swallow 12 (i think) doxylamine pills after a coke binge when i was rather young, and just felt like shit for 36+ hours. DPH however i did trip off once, and allthough not fun IME, i wasn't groggy and feeling like shit.

So from my very little personal experience, i would advise against high dose doxylamine to "trip"

Lol everyone here who has once been stupid enough to go for a deliriant dose of these antihistamines without being aware of the consequences seems to assume this is what the op is looking for. Don't you think there is some sort of middle ground between not taking the substances at all and popping 12 pills without any preparation whatsoever? This ignorance seriously makes me cringe.

He might indeed be looking for the deliriant effects, he wasn't very specific in his question, but at least we could give him an idea what the effects at low doses are like before telling him what an obvious overdose (!) looks like.

Those stories about your deliria are testaments of your idiocy or naïveté, not of the undesirable effects of this class of substances.

Those stories about your deliria are testaments of your idiocy or naïveté, not of the undesirable effects of this class of substances.

Wow, chill out dude, i suppose you were never a "noob"... probably an experienced psychonaut from your first puff of weed... lol
Nah seriously, let's stay civil, no need to antagonize ;)

Wow, chill out dude, i suppose you were never a "noob"... probably an experienced psychonaut from your first puff of weed... lol
Nah seriously, let's stay civil, no need to antagonize ;)
Sorry, but it's really always the same when it comes to antihistamines. People have zero tolerance for anyone getting the least bit of enjoyment out of them because they cause evil deliria (which by the way no one could possibly enjoy if it wasn't obvious, or so people claim). So this is nothign personal and I didn't mean to offend, but after I mentioned about 4 times that the op hasn't stated he was interested in a delirium I figured it was time to speak a clear language.
or naïveté
Being naïve isn't really insulting. It basically means you were a noob. I was once a noob, yes.

One can get unisom which is just doxylamine with no other active chemicals. It is sold as a sleep aid.

You're much better off with pot

same could be said for any drug but i doubt this site is the place where its going to happen very often :D

also there are people that enjoy deliriants, it's not impossible. i personally know a guy who used to do it quite often but has shifted his interests to other drugs.

Sorry, but it's really always the same when it comes to antihistamines. People have zero tolerance for anyone getting the least bit of enjoyment out of them because they cause evil deliria (which by the way no one could possibly enjoy if it wasn't obvious, or so people claim). So this is nothign personal and I didn't mean to offend, but after I mentioned about 4 times that the op hasn't stated he was interested in a delirium I figured it was time to speak a clear language.
Being naïve isn't really insulting. It basically means you were a noob. I was once a noob, yes.

NP crOOk i believe we understand eachother. :)