View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Can doxylamine get you high?

fullofmilldo

Bluelighter
If you've read any of my threads or posts, you'd probably notice i have an "interest" in OTC drugs (diphenhydramine + DXM mainly) but i recently heard of a drug called Doxylamine that is used as diphenhydramine is used in sleep aids so i was wondering,
1. would doxylamine give the same "high" as diphenhydramine?
2. anyone know about any ovc drugs containing ONLY doxylamine?
3. any OTC drugs that i dont know about that would be something to try?
thanks

Last edited:
1. yes, if you enjoy the 'high' of diphenhydramine. what doses do you normally take and how long does DPH affect you?
2. here in the US, most sleep aids are plain DPH
3. no

i built up somewhat of a tolerance to them, 400mg is a normal dose for me but the 400mg effects feel like ~325mg effects felt when i first started, the most i did at once is 600mg 2 days ago. and i start feeling the minimal effects ~40 min. and have the best effects ~70-150min.

it's an anti-histamine like diphenhydramine. similar buzz. a but more sedating though. my experiences were accidental. i was just trying to sleep and stupidly took too much. but if diphenhydramine is your cup o' tea, you may well enjoy it. it's going to be a delirious sort of high, but hey, we all have our drugs of choice.

I've heard that doxylamine is much more pleasureable than diphenhydramine(theres actually some euphoria!). I believe you can buy pure doxylamine as Unisom in the same area of the store that you'll find diphenhydramine

i havent found(although ive never looked for) doxylamine-containing products at dollar general
(my most convenient place for OTC's- always has DXM/DPH off-brands for the cheapest price)
Do you guys think somewhere that has more prescription/non-prescription drugs(CVS pharmacy/local drug store) would give me a better chance of finding some?
Would anyone think my tolerance to DPH affect my tolerance to DOXY?

Last edited:
I would seriously reconsider why you are trying to get high off of DPH.

You're much better off with pot

i havent found(although ive never looked for) doxylamine-containing products at dollar general
(my most convenient place for OVC's- always has DXM/DPH off-brands for the cheapest price)
Do you guys think somewhere that has more prescription/non-prescription drugs(CVS pharmacy/local drug store) would give me a better chance of finding some?

First, I don't know what OVCs are...Over The Counter is usually abbreviated OTC, so I'm gonna assume this is what you're talking about. I have never seen doxylamine at a dollar store, and IME it's much more expensive than DPH. A better chance of finding some cheaply would be at a chain store, like Walmart/Walgreens/CVS/etc. The store brands are always cheaper than the name brands so just do some browsing around. You can even check out the websites of the major chains on the internet before going out there and compare prices, etc --- I do this with electronics, OTC meds, other weird things I may want, just about everything actually.

QFT. Maybe I'm biased (see title under username) but while I've never taken a super high dose of an antihistamine, after reading around on BL I have no idea why anyone would ever want to.

QFT. Maybe I'm biased (see title under username) but while I've never taken a super high dose of an antihistamine, after reading around on BL I have no idea why anyone would ever want to.

Maybe same reason why some people like to watch horror movies? :\

hey, different strokes as they say.

i've only seen doxylamine combined with other medications here in the US (for example, in nyquil combine with APAP and DXM)... Unisom is still formulated with DPH-only here i believe. Sleep aids in other countries may have switched to doxy though.

i've only seen doxylamine combined with other medications here in the US (for example, in nyquil combine with APAP and DXM)... Unisom is still formulated with DPH-only here i believe. Sleep aids in other countries may have switched to doxy though.

Not true, at all. I live in the US and I purchased doxylamine that was store brand and not combined with anything else, it's usually marketed as a store brand of a sleep aid...you have to just read all the packages carefully since most are DPH, but doxylamine does come by itself. Big chain pharmacies definitely have it, as I've seen it at several, and got it myself at one of the largest/most obnoxious/I wouldn't go near the place if I wasn't a poor college graduate chains.

they are cheap as FUUUDGE on amazon.
they have a longer half-life. i used some to go to sleep on sunday and i was SOOO TIRED for basically all of monday

First, I don't know what OVCs are...Over The Counter is usually abbreviated OTC, so I'm gonna assume this is what you're talking about.

Yea i thats what i meant, got abbreviations messed up.

And idk, of coarse i enjoy weed alot(like, ALOT alot) but ive been "exploring" OTC's and other various legal's and i like the antihistamines hallucinogenic effects in high doses of 350mg-700mg. Ive read alot of trip reports on DPH and i guess im one of the rare people that like it.:\

dude doxylamine rofl
no no no
even just as a sleeping agent it is horrible I couldnt imagine taking an enormous dose you would just be asleep for 24 hours having nightmares then hungover

there is a difference between being asleep and being high....

and this is coming from someone who loves zolpidem (ambien) even though it is a sleeping tablet, it is real nice for a buzz but doxylamine is not

I found doxylamine pretty effective for sleep provided you only use it for around three or 4 days in a row at a time. Also I would usually be smoking weed after I took it and I actually noticed a pretty nice sedated feeling, which for me is seriously nicer feeling than benzo's. Helps me sleep better than my clonazepam did, too.

Don't abuse doxylamine, it has a lower margin of safety than dph! It can cause Rhabdomyolysis and that is a really shitty way to die. Dph, as bad as it is remains the king of OTC deleriants in America. Explore dxm more and try morning glory seeds. If you like speed use propylhexidrine inhalers.

Stay away from doxylamine aside from as a hypnotic, as it is an extremely efficient one beating out phenobarbital in hypnotic power!

Hey man I just wanted to tell u not to get high off of doxylamine succinate! I'm not someone that usually likes to tell someone what to not get high off of on this site, but I just wanted to share my experience with doxylamine to u, and believe it or not I'm 13 almost 14. So one night I just was struggling with some things and saw the pills in the cabinet. I took about 8 I think and at first I just got tired and that weird indescribable physical sensation. I went to sleep and woke up in the middle of the night to use the restroom. Some how I made it into the bathroom and when I was washing my hands I went to turn the faucet off and my hand slipped right through it! No lie! I eventually somehow got it off but when I went I turned to go out of the door I bumped into an invisible cabinet at my feet I couldn't get through to get to the door. I literally saw nothing in front of me! So I barely was able to step In my tub and just trying to grip things reached for the shower handle when again my hand slipped right thru it. I went to lean against the shower wall and my hand kept going right on thru it so I caught my balance. At some point I had what I thought was my shaving cream in my hand I set it on the floor and it went right thru my rug. Then I went to set on the counter with my sink and no lie went right thru that!! I slipped thru my toilet a little and climbed on my counter to reach the door that way but an invisible wall was blocking me then I was so scared and pissed and knocked over something idk how my parents didn't catch me!! I slipped past the invisible cabinets and exited the wrong side of my door the side the door now wasn't even on (like what??) and then was blocked yet again!! So I went back in once again reached my door and my hand slipped thru the knob several times even when I looked in the mirror and told myself I'm not that high I can't do this (I was tho!!) and used my robe to grip the knob but that didn't end up working. Some how I eventually got out and went back to bed. I got out of bed again to look at a light on my DVD player (for whatever f-ing reason) and then walked back to bed and ended up walking into my table (not even the direction my bed was in) so I finally made it back I bed and the next morning my soap bottle was on the floor (that thing I had knocked off the counter)...So idk what the f*** happened or where I really was in my bathroom (which isn't that big) through all of this but it was scary as f*** and I've read other stories where it was way worse than mine!! Pleaseee don't do it man. I wish u good luck and be smart!

I would seriously reconsider why you are trying to get high off of DPH.

Which you don't feel the need to explain. Antihistamines are accepted for long term treatment of several disorders and considered very safe and unproblematic, cannabis isn't in most places and quite a few people will experience psychological problems and addiction with chronic use.

That being said, yes it will get you into a state that some people do enjoy and it also should increase the intensity of your orgasms. It acts as an anticholinergic so high dosages can cause a delirium like state, which is undesirable for most people and dangerous.

Hey man I just wanted to tell u not to get high off of doxylamine succinate! [...] I took about 8 I think
I don't think he is talking about dosage levels that you were using as I mentioned above.

It's not in the spirit of this site to advise people to take opiates. (EDIT: Sorry, he did ask for OTC drugs. A warning would still be in place, codeine has been the beginning of a life long love affair with opiates for many people)

even just as a sleeping agent it is horrible
Antihistaminergic drugs are among the most efficient sleeping aids and clinically underutilized imho. Yes, you will feel very tired the next day though which understandably is a no-go for many people, but won't matter in some scenarios.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doxylamine has an intranasal bioavailbility of about 70 percent, while it is only 20ish orally.

Dipenhydramine isn't sold in forms that can be insufflated.

Unisom sleep tabs apparently contain doxylamine only. Prepare to get unusually drowsy, and do not experiment with high doses. I doubt that all 'recreational' dosages pose toxicity risks mentioned but it is not exactly safe to just do whatever the hell you want with it.

My advice: get yourself another hobby. A lot of OTC meds like these are very dirty regarding side-effects, and deliriants are something to be avoided in general since they completely undermine your ability to think and behave with some constraint attuned to reality. Yeah psychedelics make you trip, hard even, but you don't lose your marbles by definition.

Also let's not flat out recommend that the OP take certain other drugs. I think it is good HR to generally say better refocus on psychedelics (although take it easy starting out with em) when it comes to seeking trippy altered states of consciousness but I don't see the point in telling to look into certain OTC meds.

So @ question 3: we don't allow "What should I take?" threads / questions. Some posts and bits were deleted.

Also thank you David, for coming here to warn us :)

Last edited: