• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can baclofen often ease gabapentin withdrawal

sonicwhite

Bluelighter
I'm just tired of being on the gabapentin monkey on my back. Will baclofen
since it's a close analogue of pregabalin will it help ease the withdrawals of gabapentin.

I've never really been a fan of back often but I couldn't get enough gabapentin. Now I'm just tired going month to month abusing it. I know tapering is the best way to do this but I'm on 3.800 mg a day of gabapentin and I feel no end in sight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, baclofen will definitely help ameliorate gabapentin withdrawals considering the similar mechanism of actionu. This action will help with the anxiety, tremors, hyperhidrosis, nightmares, sleep problems (although it can cause insomnia) that the withdrawals can precipitate. So what you're saying is you can't taper off the gabapentin and prefer just to use baclofen?

Thanks T. I can't taper I don't have enough but my roomy has bottle of the baclofen and I couldn't find anything on google but I'm glad I posted this. Thanks. And I do however am going to try to taper when the time is right and I have more.

How much baclofen do you have access to? I would recommend trying 10mg 3x a day for a few days and then raising it depending on your response because that is a rather low dose. And how bad are your withdrawals, btw?, that would also affect the dosing?

I get four eight hundred mg a day and some days I take four hundred three times a day and then I take between 6.000 to 10.000 staggering when I know my tolerance is pretty low. But, yesterday I tried to just go cold turkey and had the worst nightmare of my ex. Ugh. I have like enough to get me tell my doctor app but man gabapentin withdrawal is nothing to mess around even with klonopin it hardly phazes it.

I have almost unlimited access to baclofen but I'm going to take it easy at first. Thank you girlwithbluehair.

you're welcome. Yes, do take it easy at first. Baclofen is a nasty substance when it comes to withdrawal itself. It can be just as bad, if not worse, than benzodiazepines and barbiturates. So be sure to taper off that as well.

I was getting nightmares/cold sweats and hot flashes, impending doom, fear, anxiety, all the withdrawals you would get from cold turkey gabapentin. At the dose I am on I don't even think a klonopin would stop a seizure from those doses.

I'm getting tired of being burned by the drug. I mean it was fun but I think it's time is up on recreational purposes.

I am prescribed baclofen and gabapentin myself. Baclofen definitely will almost completely remove most symptoms of gabapentin withdrawal. I personally find baclofen withdrawal harsher than that from gabapentin. Their mode of action is somewhat similiar. Though i read some studies saying gabapentin is NOT a GABA B agonist.

All those symptoms you mentioned...the baclofen will definitely help with them as the two are cross tolerant with similar mechanisms of action. It would really help you. You could even taper from a small dose of gabapentin for a few days with say, 400 tid. Do you have myoclonus, like where your body jerks and twitches? I went through massive baclofen withdrawals three times and managed not to have full blown tonic-clonic seizures other than really bad myoclonus and absence seizures.

I am prescribed baclofen and gabapentin myself. Baclofen definitely will almost completely remove most symptoms of gabapentin withdrawal. I personally find baclofen withdrawal harsher than that from gabapentin. Their mode of action is somewhat similiar. Though i read some studies saying gabapentin is NOT a GABA B agonist.

Likewise, there are studies where they demonstrate that it is, not to mention all the anecdotal evidence.

Yes I have jerks but they where mostly created by kratom withdrawal or taking picrlima seeds. But I only was beginning to withdrawal then I asked my neighbor which was very reluctant to give me ten eight hundred gabas. Then I felt so much better but still kinda off.

I mean klonopin helped after the 5-7 hour half life but when it went below 10% I was holy crap this sucks. So I mean I think if I keep fooling around with this powerful pharm I'm going to pay the piper.

the baclofen will take care of those. but be careful...baclofen will have the same effects of the gabapentin but it's a lot more potent and can be just as insidious - so make sure to stick to a rigid dosing regiment. What dose clonazepam do you have and how much? Because you can try breaking them in halves or quarters and taking them sublingually. It may not seem like it's doing anything, but it will provide at least some anticonvulsant action.

I take three mg a day PRN. They really don't even work for my anxiety. I have GAD with Panic disorder and PURE O OCD and with all of it combined my brain is constantly wanting to throw anxiety in my face and I don't mean normal I mean massive anxiety that is so bad but I'm pretty sure you know what I'm talking about...

I took one ten mg baclofen and I noticed that it gave me a headache. Will that subside the longer I take it before I come off of it?

I used to take 1mg of klonopin tid. It only worked as a prophylactic against panic attacks and did nothing for anxiety. Did you ever try taking it regularly? Yes, it will. Have you noticed any other effects - like it helping the withdrawal symptoms?

It does nothing for withdrawals but it helps I guess free floating anxiety but that pressure to fear and think the worst is coming is so overwhelming.

Like I said I have been burned too many times by this drug. I'm about ready to just taper and forget about it.

I'm going to have to use my CBT skills and resist pooping more just to feel that rush. It sucks that I'm highly addicted to something a lot of ppl don't get addicted to but, I know a lot do.

Yes I take one mg three times a day. It was two then my anxiety was flaring at night so I started three. I mean crap. Dealing with M.I. is bad enough but on top of that if you have a addictive personality it just grabs ahold of anything and I mean that's why they call it a disease.

It will start to help once you start taking it regularly and taper it up. Take it four times a day, every four hours. like say you get up at 6, then take it at 10, 2, and 6. Yeah. Addiction is a disorder. Once you use a substance that alters dopaminergic pathways in your brain, certain receptors and genes get altered, I think with the D3 receptors and COMT polymorphisms, and there really is no turning back, you have it for life.

I just have a lot of fear for some reason. I mean the nightmare I had was beyond what dreams are supposed to look like. I have PTSD as well and I take ten mg of prazosin a day or at night and it doesn't even phase them.

I was always doubting I had PTSD because of the fact I was abusing gabapentin going up then down up then down. And that in itself can cause nightmares but I have also been thru a meth induced psychosis where I thought the jail I was rotting in was a human slaughterhouse and ppl where getting chopped up.

Man what a f'd up ordeal I have been thru. I'm sick of this. I just want to get better now.

I know what those nightmares are like from baclofen withdrawals. They're downright bizarre, fucked up, intense as hell, and like you said, not like what dreams should be. How is the baclofen going? Do you get those nightmares regularly or just now because of the gabapentin? I find prazosin worthless. You don't take a beta blocker do you? like propranolol or metoprolol?

I feel for you. I'm real sorry for what you're going through. I really hope you do start getting better. It is hell. All I could do when I had to withdraw from baclofen is count the days until it would be over.