• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can alcohol help opiate withdrawal?

Can alcohol help opiate withdrawal?
Yes... But it seems to be temporary and the hangout /come down makes withdrawals that much worse. What are you detoxing off of? How far into hell are you??

It can help you sleep if you take enough. The only thing I'd be worried about would be a hangover the next morning. Having one of those while withdrawaling would be even worse (im guessing anyways... I dont drink).

Id personally get kratom, a benzo or gabapentin to help. Kratom works amazingly for me. Ive never tried a benzo or gabapentin (as I cant get them), but I hear they work great as well.

Speaking from experience.
YES. IF AND ONLY IF youre not a heavy alcohol consumer already, i used to be a heavy drinker and when i ran out of meds 2 weeks before due.. i drank 3-4L worth of rum per day, it helped. But since i was already a heavy drinker ( half to1L) per day, i had to drink ALOT to get very intoxicated, what you can expect from alchol is - distraction from the withdrawal, you will need a heavy drink with a good sugary mix (mine was 5 shots rum to half a can-3/4 cremw soda can the reason being is youll need a good sip or 2 every 10-15min, get yourself a bunch of baguette bread or bread period w garlic butter to start eating when youre drunk, at these levels of drinking without food will kill you. Itll help for the first 4-5 days afterwards itll feel like youre drinking for nothing as the withdrawal symtoms increase until they lessen, during my 1.5 weeks of this i drank somwhere between 15-35 bottles of rum, so yes it can help but its a fuckin shit route, if yoy do the same w some coke however, youll dri k less and feel better but risk another addiction, drugs are fire and god do we love to be burned heh

Im doing just this rn... waiting for my coke to turn into crack... im a half bottle in =p

To any readers of my experience with doing this, if you attempt to follow in my steps do so in an extraordinarily lesser manner and NEVER drink more and more tp try and feel better, past that 'drunk sweet spot' is as good as itll get and i humbly apologize for not putting in several warnings in my post as i usually so it just slipped my mind, so basically yes it can help but unfortjnately pass the alcohol sweet spot is just not worth it, you can continue to drink to MAINTAIN the sweet spot but its very easy to go overboard and please... always eat if drinking heavily whether its before during, prefferebly these two or a big ass meal before sleep and take a good 30min to digest/sober up beforehand and if you feel ill from over drinking NEVER try to simply ' sleep it off' especially if youre alone

Last edited:
Never understood how anyone could drink alcohol in opiate withdrawal. Even the thought makes me want to jump off a bridge

I hardly ever drink but when i asked this i was drinking some jd which is reslly enjoyed i had mixed it with 512 mg and i woke up today feeling refreshed not hungover because again I barely drink it would make sense for it to dull the withdrawals then when I wake up I can take just enough to get rid of the withdrawals which should also take care of the hangover fuck I might just become an alcoholic like half my family the other half are on smack so lesser of two evils

Speaking from experience.
YES. IF AND ONLY IF youre not a heavy alcohol consumer already, i used to be a heavy drinker and when i ran out of meds 2 weeks before due.. i drank 3-4L worth of rum per day, it helped. But since i was already a heavy drinker ( half to1L) per day, i had to drink ALOT to get very intoxicated, what you can expect from alchol is - distraction from the withdrawal, you will need a heavy drink with a good sugary mix (mine was 5 shots rum to half a can-3/4 cremw soda can the reason being is youll need a good sip or 2 every 10-15min, get yourself a bunch of baguette bread or bread period w garlic butter to start eating when youre drunk, at these levels of drinking without food will kill you. Itll help for the first 4-5 days afterwards itll feel like youre drinking for nothing as the withdrawal symtoms increase until they lessen, during my 1.5 weeks of this i drank somwhere between 15-35 bottles of rum, so yes it can help but its a fuckin shit route, if yoy do the same w some coke however, youll dri k less and feel better but risk another addiction, drugs are fire and god do we love to be burned heh

Im doing just this rn... waiting for my coke to turn into crack... im a half bottle in =p

Sounds like a great way to add alcohol poisoning to your withdrawals.

Sounds like a great way to add alcohol poisoning to your withdrawals.
Ive been diagnosed and treated for severe alcoholism in the past, and to date after drinking litres a day and combining with opiates etc, my liver is healthy much to my surprise and my doctors, he attributes that to my gopd diet and rediculous water intake, i havent passed out/blacked out in years only happened twice during my extreme use, once at a party and once at home both situations were relatively embaressing

Im a very fortunate individual, and its not like i dont know MY limits, its not like o reccomended anyone to follow in my footsteps as everyone is different, and i dont suppose an alcohol naive person would even physically be able to get near my alcohol intakes so theres that..

Also during ' recovery/treatment' i cut down over a week, went cold turkey on minimal benzos for another week, dealt w alil emotional withdrawal after for 2 weeks and tada i was done with trying to kill my liver, but to this day i can drink like a monster and i only drink a few bottles a month now if i even feel like it so give me some credit

HOWEVER my extreme intake was caused by continued use after using alcohol to cope with withdrawal THIS SHOULD BE NOTED

Last edited:
To be fair ive never seen zonx suggest something like that without warning what it can do like he did there ive learnt a lot off the little green gemlim

To be fair ive never seen zonx suggest something like that without warning what it can do like he did there ive learnt a lot off the little green gemlim
Fuck did i genuinely not put in several warnings? I actually know what i said but not entirely, im pretty fucky rn thats my bad pretty goofed w myself for that in that case shame on me thats a slap for meh

To all- my advice isnt for the feint of heart nor is it for the intolerant its stricly experience talk and nothing more and you 'COULD' follow along those lines in a much lesser manner slightly feeling like i failed bluelight a tad :(

So i updated my experience/answer post and genuinely reccomend alcohol as a very first resort and pretty much only as such( for day 1-2 ) of opiate withdrawal or whatever withdrawal because if youre not a ' drinker' so to speak, youll just make yourself much more ill if you continue drinking - zonxx ( the not heavily fucked up version) lel not funny

Fuck did i genuinely not put in several warnings? I actually know what i said but not entirely, im pretty fucky rn thats my bad pretty goofed w myself for that in that case shame on me thats a slap for meh

To all- my advice isnt for the feint of heart nor is it for the intolerant its stricly experience talk and nothing more and you 'COULD' follow along those lines in a much lesser manner slightly feeling like i failed bluelight a tad :(
yes u did thats what i said mate it would be one thing if you just told me to do it without telling me the danger

yes u did thats what i said mate it would be one thing if you just told me to do it without telling me the danger
Ye so i read my inital post thingy its on point not reccomending anything insane i did say eating is a must etc and advised its a shit route good on fucked up me haha ive never waited a whole hour for my dealer.. my god was i shitfaced when he arrived, but all good as a sorry for being late n taking long i got an extra $200 worth :D but id hope everyones dealer does the same when you buy in 800+$ batches no lie was drunk enough to get my stuff... walk to the stairway corridor in my place, sitdown, and pour coke into my hand then procede to snort whatever i could -.- shame on him for being late

Ive been their with booze and mcat was using the alcohol to smooth the comedown but we msnaged to get hold of some more mcat so on the way into my mates flat we decided sell i decided we should because it the fresh air makes the high better mephedrone is the one stimuoant i love I could talk about it all day

Alcohol is a terrible idea for opiate withdrawal. It causes dehydration and is a depressant. Also the fact of how if you get drunk in opiate withdrawal chances are your gonna do anything you can to go get a bag of dope, which is a good way to get arrested. When your detoxing from opiates you need rest, fluids, nutrition... not poison. I'd rather shoot meth than get drunk in opiate withdrawal. Just my take

Alcohol is a terrible idea for opiate withdrawal. It causes dehydration and is a depressant. Also the fact of how if you get drunk in opiate withdrawal chances are your gonna do anything you can to go get a bag of dope, which is a good way to get arrested. When your detoxing from opiates you need rest, fluids, nutrition... not poison. I'd rather shoot meth than get drunk in opiate withdrawal. Just my take
You understand and aknowledge that what works for someone may certainly not work for someone else i feel like the criticisers missed the part where im a recovered fuckin alcoholic?
P.s i drink more water w booze than i do sober
I also stated that it was NOT the best route but is a post from my experience. Not tryna be rude kk

I absolutely think Alcohol is contraindicated when an individual is in Opioid withdrawal. I suppose it's going to depend on the severity of the syndrome, but when I'm withdrawing, I can barely drink water, let alone Alcohol. When I have drank liquor in this state, it has hit my stomach like acid. I will experience typical Alcohol effects for about 15 minutes, followed by an immediate and intense hangover-like effect. I can't stress enough how bad it is for me. I understand that some people benefit from it in some way, but in general, I think that the body is not set up to accept insults like Alcohol when it's already in bad shape.

You will find that many hard-core junkies interchange heroin and alcohol as they can afford some crossover relief - but that only works if you have a significant tolerance to both. Taking alcohol when in severe withdrawal is not a good idea because as Kief says, when your body is suffering so much the last thing it needs is alcohol in the mix.

The last thing i wanted detoxing was booze. It may help but I'd imagine withdrawals with a hangover to be my version of hell .
Good luck with getting sober, if i can do it anyone can:)