• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Can a taper be performed painlessly

if you can taper to 200 micrograms, stay there for a couple of weeks, then go to around 100 micrograms and stay there for 2-4 weeks when after this you kick, chances are that you will get almost negligeble withdrawals, aka no witdrawal.
i have to say that when i did such a long taper i actually felt a light withdrawal like state every time i lowered my dose, almost non existent but anyway there, so its more like having the acute 1st week of withdrawal smashed in a period of many months, but if in this time you take your mind occupied and dont think much about haw you are not feeling so good you can go thru the whole process happily, but you have to be the right kind of person for these things...

I know this is an old post but I have been thinking of doing this exactly

Haha, when I got on methadone my doctor at the time promised me the same thing 8) It is not remotely painless. Seems like a lot of doctors either don't know that much about it or are willing to lie just to get you on methadone or buprenorphine.

Also remember, as I said, that the dose reductions shouldn't be a set amount like 50mcg, they should be a percentage of the total current dose. You can start off dropping by much higher than 50mcg at a time, you just need to make the decreases smaller and smaller the lower your dose gets. How are you planning on measuring such small quantities though? That is one of the reasons few people do this.

The reason most people don't do this is because most doctors aren't willing to prescribe them shorter-acting opioids and when obtained illicitly most people have trouble forcing themselves to taper on a shorter-acting opioid or may start using it to get high. But yes it should definitely help with the withdrawals if you have the ability to do it correctly. You are correct that the best plan would be to use it for 3-4 weeks (so that the bupe withdrawals it is masking will be gone) and then taper off.
I have been thinking of doing this exactly but have been looking for feedback. I've been taking 20 mg of suboxone daily for a year and have tried to taper off several times, even with gabapentin at around 3 weeks I cant take it any more and cave in and take between 4 to 8 mg's to just feel ok for a day but back into w/d within a few days again. Has anyone tried switching to a opiode with a shorter half life along with gabapentin to kick the habit. I'm a long time (18 year) oxy fiend and have tried to quit a million times and this has been my latest obsession on how to quit. Anyone ever try this.

Well I abused oxycodone for years, went to Suboxone aided ORT and then was switched to oxycodone/naloxone preparation for half a year until I tapered down within a week.

The tapering from oxycodone was easier than the switch from buprenorphine to oxycodone.

I only needed few clonidines when tapering.