• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Buproprion

How do you know if you are feeling withdrawal or a resurgence of your mental condition?

The only reason i ask is lamitical is i believe a mood stabilizer and wellbutrin an antidepressant. While my friend could probably taper off when he was on a antidepressant and mood stabilizer and probably be fine*(*not a doctor)( (largely he was just a "problem" in class but wasnt to my knowledge depressed or bipolar ect.)

But im on a antidepressant (effexor) and two mood stabilizer (lithium and depakote) because i have depression, suicide attempt, and strong suicidal thoughts for years with hospitalization and hospitalization.

Anyway my point is please be careful changing your meds and doses. I hope the reason your on them isnt for something super severe and possibly life threatening . But if you are i wouldnt try to do it on your own.

How do you know if you are feeling withdrawal or a resurgence of your mental condition?

The only reason i ask is lamitical is i believe a mood stabilizer and wellbutrin an antidepressant. While my friend could probably taper off when he was on a antidepressant and mood stabilizer and probably be fine*(*not a doctor)( (largely he was just a "problem" in class but wasnt to my knowledge depressed or bipolar ect.)

But im on a antidepressant (effexor) and two mood stabilizer (lithium and depakote) because i have depression, suicide attempt, and strong suicidal thoughts for years with hospitalization and hospitalization.

Anyway my point is please be careful changing your meds and doses. I hope the reason your on them isnt for something super severe and possibly life threatening . But if you are i wouldnt try to do it on your own.

It's hard to tell and effectively there isn't really difference, I would say if symptoms return immediately following discontinuation or a reduction in the dose it's probably temporary and caused by withdrawal, if they come back on slowly or suddenly without a change in dosage it's probably the disease itself. I think in my case it was definitely withdrawal 1. because it happened after I cut the dose of one medication and stopped taking another and 2. the symptoms were much more physical than mental. I started getting tremors, shivering, and felt this sort of general malaise that I've only ever felt before withdrawing from phenibut and pregabalin (two seperate times, not taken together thankfully), so even though Lamitcal isn't directly GABAergic, it IS a very potent VGSC blocker, as are phenibut and pregabalin, which is where its anticonvulsant and (to a lesser extent, Lamictal has multiple targets) mood-stabilizing properties come from. I went from 300mg to 250mg for two weeks then down to 150mg because I only have about 40 300mg and 50 200mg tablets, that was evidently too big of a jump. I went back to 250mg and even before starting Wellbutrin again I feel pretty ok. Moderately unstable mood and lethargy that I'd attribute to more to Wellbutrin's discontinuation and the unique feelings of VGSC blocker withdrawal are almost completely gone.

Lithium I know nothing about as I've not had to be on it and not really researched it a whole lot, however Depakote I imagine would have a very similar discontinuation syndrome to Lamictal. Effexor's would probably suck at least as much as Wellbutrin's, maybe more, again I haven't really done a whole lot of research on SNRIs as anything serotonergic has a tendency to throw me into mania over time if I don't take it with an antipsychotic and I flat out refuse to get back on those (no judgement to people for whom they work, they just aren't for me in my particular circumstance).

I am being careful with the whole process insofar as I can be, I asked my old pharmacy to request a refill of Wellbutrin so they can send it to one where I currently live. I'll check tomorrow and hopefully that'll be squared away. I never intended to quit Wellbutrin, I just ran out and I don't have a GP where I'm living as there's a doctor shortage and I don't have reliable transportation to go anywhere else. I still have one, but he's a state over and you have to schedule appointments a couple months in advanced anyway since he's pretty booked up.

The reason I'm quitting Lamictal is because it decreases the efficacy of another medication I'm taking (and vice versa now that I think of, which is another reason why my taper is going slowly, since I already have been effectively lowering my dose), I'd have no reason to otherwise. It's been great for me and has no cognitive side-effects at all and very few drug-drug interactions compared to other psych meds.

Last edited:
I sniffed the shit outta this stuff many years back. OP, everything you say is true. it is super addictive. It is also shitty. The amount of powder needed is absurd. I wrote an entire life story right up to the day I was sitting on that couch sniffing and writing,lol. Powerful drug in it's own way!

Word of caution: One day I shared some with a new friend and she had seizures all night. Scared the shit out of me.

Abusing them runs them out without hope of getting refills so one can note why I am concerned as to why I need to take them as prescribed and what anyone has done to change it back after getting themselves hooked. Worse than benzos? Wow.

I have never had a discontinuation issue with Wellbutrin. I currently take 150 mg but was prescribed and took 450 mg for a few years. I never felt any recreational value, good luck getting back on track.

Well I apparently had an old refill of 150mg at the pharmacy so I got back on it and feel great overall, still hard to tell what was that and what was Lamictal. I'd still say all things considered Lamictal's withdrawal is probably a lot worse. I'm gonna try and do 150mg for 20 days then 75mg for 20 days. Fingers crossed I can get off it finally.

Funnily enough I saw my prescriber the other day and she put me on lamictal.

Funnily enough I saw my prescriber the other day and she put me on lamictal.

It's a really good drug, like I said I don't necessarily want to stop taking it. It does take a long time even as psychiatric drugs go to really be effective, because you have to taper up to an effective dose, usually 100-200mg, over the course of a few weeks. But it is absolutely worth it in my opinion. It really helps stabilize one's mood without there being any psychotropic effects like antipsychotics have and without it being literal poison like lithium. It doesn't make you feel flat at all, and in fact isn't even approved for acute mania in the way other mood-stabilizers are. I'm sure given how closely it's related to other anticonvulsants that ARE approved for mania like sodium valproate and carbamazepine that it must help to some degree, but in my experience it has a notably stronger effect on depression than mania. To the point I still have manic symptoms crop up all the time, but without as harsh of a crash afterwards and without there being such a high peak that I enter psychosis territory. Which is honestly amazing.

Of course, do bear in mind though that, as we've already been over ITT, it's not an easy thing to come off of once your on it, but 99% of the time there isn't a reason to. The only single drug-drug interaction I'm aware of with it is with birth control/estradiol. Compare that to Wellbutrin which has countless, potentially very dangerous and unpredictable, interactions as a CYP2D6 inhibitor.

I've heard decent things about lamotrigine, some people say it has a quite pronounced sedative/anxiolytic effect. The MOA is supposedly something to do with voltage gated sodium channels?

I've heard decent things about lamotrigine, some people say it has a quite pronounced sedative/anxiolytic effect. The MOA is supposedly something to do with voltage gated sodium channels?

I've not noticed any sedation, but there's definitely significant anxiolysis for me after I got up to a therapeutic dose. And that's its primary mechanism of action, as a VGSC blocker, but from what I've read it's believed to have more targets than that due to its marked effect on bipolar depression specifically. I don't think its mechanism of action is really fully understood. It's also active at sigma-1 receptors and potentially has some inhibiting effects on certain voltage gated calcium channels.

I've heard...

I've played around with my Lamotrigine dosage. 200 mg is my daily dose, but I've gone up to 300 mg before. 300 mg drove me nuts. No idea if any of those doses affected my anxiety, unfortunately.

200 mg - Not sure what it's doing for me anymore. My mood is certainly more consistent, and I don't have homicidal or violent thoughts even remotely as much anymore. Was prescribed as an adjunct treatment alongside Venlafaxine, and Buproprion, for Major Depressive Disorder. I cannot determine if it's affecting my Generalized Anxiety Disorder at all.

100 mg - This was an especially interesting dose. I took two 50 mg's as an expedition, and woke up the next morning, a few hours later, feeling like what I could only describe as "normal". The depression felt like it'd been entirely lifted from my body and mind. It seemed to me then, and remains my most memorable glimpse of how I felt when I was happier and younger. It only lasted for a couple of hours. I do not know what caused that feeling. Venlafaxine at 150 mg gave me a similar feeling, but it was mania instead. I loved that.

Wellbutrin XL has kept me awake for two days in a row, and allowed only four hours of sleep in that work week. Went away after that.

150 mg made me fantastically hostile and on edge at work. Went away after about a month.

300 mg, my current dose, was given after lamotrigine 150 mg had been incorporated to my rx collection. The rage at 300 mg wasn't anywhere near as pronounced as the 150 mg dose was. I don't ever recall feeling it at all. Sleep issues were non-existent thanks to a thienodiazepine.

It's absolutely bizarre to see a Brian Peppers meme after all these years.

It's absolutely bizarre to see a Brian Peppers meme after all these years.

Holy shit thank you i knew i recognized that picture, it is

It's also insane that looking that up i found out encyclopedia dramatica is still around, its like a time capsule

Goddamn, look at that! Someone else who was on E.D. back in the day. I've been having trouble getting onto it lately, though. So many memories of its articles. "Yiff", "Offended", and "Chris-chan" are still vivid images to me.

May I ask how old you are? I'm 23. None of my peers ever knew about it when I asked if they'd seen it. Maybe it's more popular with a different generation?