• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Buproprion

Nagelfar

Bluelight Crew
Wellbutrin, didn't know it was as reinforcing as it is. How've others who have gone off from indicated dosing amounts feel about Buproprion as an abuseable substance? I've worked my way through 900mg (three 300mg tabs) insufflated. Reminds me of extremely adulterated cocaine as pill binder interferes with expedited usage, even feel some numbness esp. around lips when rhinorrhea takes course.

I was of the understanding that you have to be pretty desperate to abuse buproprion. Isn't it the prison version of cocaine? ;)

ALso, IIRC, buproprion taken orally mainly acts as a prodrug for the cyclized "hydroxybuproprion" - really a phenmetrazine-related morpholine - radafaxine. (shame it isn't reduced futher to the "proper" phenmetrazine analog!) Said morpholine is mostly a NRI in comparison to its parent drug, which when you add in the slow diffusion through body leading to lack of "peak-like" brain concentrations with oral usage, means it's probably what you can blame for buproprion being generally regarded as way less euphoric/abusable than methcathinone.

Wiki sez rats and monkeys will self-administer buproprion IV, and Russia bans the stuff as a stimulant. And I know there's plenty of accounts of people abusing it insufflation, I'm pretty sure the consensus is it's too hard on the nasal soft tissue to be worth the returns for euphoria. I can't imagine it does good things to your blood pressure - the numbness is probably from elevated BP/vasoconstriction rather than any sodium channel blocking activities.

Oh, also, buproprion elevates the risk of seizure, (especially at high doses/peak serum concentrations) Clarke's says theraeutic ranges for buproprion are 25 - 100 ug/L, levels above 170 ug/L are "associated with seizures", 450 ug/L "potentially lethal". Now, mind you, the same reference says the peak blood concentrations for a 200mg oral dose can vary from 120 to almost 400 ug/L, so I think this is the most conservative estimate you could get. But, y'know, safety first.

TL;DR: I wouldn't bother destroying your sinuses, there's better things to do with your time.

Last edited:
I would quit but it's really taken over, like coke seems to; 450mg a day or a months worth of hits, reminds me of a doc giving you 30 bumps of coke and saying 'one a day, now'. Besides I am on probation living in an Oxford, my choices are limited

The numbness is just what runs out of my nostrils over my lips, hardly due to high BP

I will say plenty of friends warned of seizures; none for me (yet), but I will say it shocks you while in a sleep state: meaning I wake up several times with restless, whole body, shocks like legs but more violent: this was way worse when taking with Effexor.

Last edited:
Your a very knowledgeable guy. I think you might be damaging yourself because once you barriers in life that are put there to stop most people your brain keeps turning to find a way. Unfortunately sometimes like this is case in a even less safe way then more "traditional" ways.

didn't know it was as reinforcing as it is

I'm finding it difficult to get off the stuff and I never even insufflated it or took more than 450-600mg, usually only 300mg. I had been on it daily for depression, my options are limited as far as antidepressants go as I have bipolar and I'm incredibly sensitive to SSRIs, they pretty reliably throw me into mania. It was amazing at first, it started working almost immediately and my focus drastically improved and the anhedonia which has always been the most marked feature of my depressive episodes almost completely disappeared. Now that I'm trying to come off it I'm finding it incredibly difficult to maintain interest in anything and I'm constantly tired. I'm hoping that since it's more of a fast-acting drug than SSRIs the discontinuation syndrome won't be as long lived. I'm also coming off of Lamictal but I know better than to stop that cold turkey so I'm tapering off very slowly, but that could also be contributing to how I feel at the moment.

@d1nach; I was the guy who took a bottle of loperamide a day for three years, yes knowledge can be a loophole

@Factualist; I've read that Buproprion has one of the worst discontinuation syndromes, so doubtful in my mind..

P.S. I note esp. your signature; I've been a scion of frater Perdurabo since before '95, I even write my religion in state paper work as Thelema (they recognize Wicca and it was started based on his teachings in the '60s, but they don't recognize the religion he started himself)

I snorted Bupropion and I didn't think it had any recreational value. Although it was Wellbutrin XR.

What miligram? There's these orange 75mg that are rather useless, like I said, 3 three hundreds gets through to me. Very much so. They are generics, maybe Wellbutrin and Zyban, being brands, have better incipients.

I used to be prescribed 300s, 1 a day for depression. Only kept that script for like a month before I threw it in the trash and started using hard drugs again. I had 1 use for them besides finding them totally garbage, and that was keeping me awake during my full time nightshift job.

They made me really weird. Like quiet and dopey.

What miligram? There's these orange 75mg that are rather useless, like I said, 3 three hundreds gets through to me. Very much so. They are generics, maybe Wellbutrin and Zyban, being brands, have better incipients.

The pill looked like this:

644550730.jpg

I don't remember the milligrams but I do remember that they were two extended-release pills. I felt nothing except that my nose was dripping all the holy day. The day before I had taken a lot of Tramadol and Pregabalin so maybe that somehow may have influenced. I don't know.

150s, six of them then plus the extra binder would be roughly (in more ways than one) equivalent. Also I lay back so it doesn't drip anywhere but back down from the inside. Tramadol likely a factor too.

Anyone else get hooked? Ever go back to using as 'scripted?

Last edited:
This might be amusing to some: my boss at work is hooked on them too. He paid me in them to do some extra work, and lined me out some as incentive that he also partook of. He just got his 'script. A few days later I asked if I could buy some, he had four left. 😉

I will say plenty of friends warned of seizures; none for me (yet), but I will say it shocks you while in a sleep state: meaning I wake up several times with restless, whole body, shocks like legs but more violent: this was way worse when taking with Effexor.

I got this pretty badly too on Effexor, at least when I pushed my dose above 300mg. I didn't notice it too much but other people were disturbed seeing me jerking around in my sleep. I only took Wellbutrin orally as prescribed (I believe I got up to 450mg/day) but I didn't get that effect, or nobody reported it to me at least. I wonder what exactly causes it?

^I always assumed it was the 'butrin, but it always woke me up. I'd spasm so hard I'd wake into the split second last half of it, finding myself even violently scratching myself in one deft movement, like slapping someone away from me who was touching my face, scratching my face with my thumb in the process. One time I woke later and wondered if it were a dream; saw the scratch under my eye in the mirror and knew it wasn't. Beating myself up in a fugue sleep state. Maybe the Wellbutrin just makes it worse, since once my Effexor is out I haven't really noticed it as much. Thought it was to do with tolerance, though.

Hmm, I did have an overlap period with Effexor and Wellbutrin, but I'm pretty sure I didn't reach the higher (supposedly NRI) doses of Effexor until the Wellbutrin was discontinued, and that's when the problem was perceived at least.

For what it's worth, I don't recall much of a discontinuation syndrome with Wellbutrin/Bupropion at 450mg. The process is a little vague, I think I was just dropped down for a week at 300mg and then again at 150mg, and then off. There were factors that might've eased it for me (e.g. cross-taper onto Effexor, plentiful benzos), but whenever I was a few hours late for my Effexor/Venlafaxine dose (XR at that), I'd get an internal alarm clock going off in the form of "zaps" that would intensify and multiply as the hours passed -- something which never happened with Wellbutrin, as far as I remember.

That internal zaps were from quitting Venlafaxine = your body were reacting to lowering of effexor induced serotonin increase. Although, bupropion in doses up to 300mg has the same seizure ratings as other antidepressants, the possibility of having seizure raises dramaticaly if u take more than 300mg and usually it's provoked by IR version or crushing longer lasting pills and ingesting/snorting them.

@d1nach; I was the guy who took a bottle of loperamide a day for three years, yes knowledge can be a loophole

@Factualist; I've read that Buproprion has one of the worst discontinuation syndromes, so doubtful in my mind..

P.S. I note esp. your signature; I've been a scion of frater Perdurabo since before '95, I even write my religion in state paper work as Thelema (they recognize Wicca and it was started based on his teachings in the '60s, but they don't recognize the religion he started himself)

Yeah you're right I gotta get back on it immediately. I was in detox for 7 days but I legitimately feel worse than I did coming off of benzos and alcohol after months of daily use at ridiculously high doses, I've been on Wellbutrin way longer but still I wasn't expecting this at all, I think it must also be because I cut my dose of Lamictal at the same time. I don't live in the same state any more so I'm hoping my old GP can send a script to CVS cause I know they'll transfer over state lines

Abusing them runs them out without hope of getting refills so one can note why I am concerned as to why I need to take them as prescribed and what anyone has done to change it back after getting themselves hooked. Worse than benzos? Wow.

Abusing them runs them out without hope of getting refills so one can note why I am concerned as to why I need to take them as prescribed and what anyone has done to change it back after getting themselves hooked. Worse than benzos? Wow.

Well a lot of it was actually I was doing my taper off lamictal too fast, I went back to my old dose and I feel slightly better, also I was able to get a refill I can pick up tomorrow so just the relief that I can probably plays a part even before I've actually got it

Is selegiline available in generic? If so, thinking about switching from Buproprion to it, since my genesight genetics test suggested it. Wonder if it'd help as well as being less liable to be abused by me