• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Buprenorphine for chronic pain

Tangandchris

Greenlighter
I need advice/input please, I'm very new so forgive me if I'm doing it wrong. I recently was rx'd buprenorphine for chronic pain after seeing pain mngt doctor for the first time. I got alot of flack from insurance and pharmacy as this is typically used for detox. In addition to that I'm not liking this drug at all. I am very drowsy and after the first few days it doesn't seem as effective.

Does anyone have experience with this drug for pain management? Also how appropriate is it for me to tell the doctor I want something else, I don't like this drug. I just don't want to be marked as a pill seeke.
Thx for any input

Have you not been rx'd any other opioids for pain before, or do you have a tolerance? Bupe does seem like an odd choice, I haven't heard of it being used for pain unless the patient is very tolerant and/or in severe pain. That pain management thread linked above will probably answer a lot more questions for you than I can, though!

It is appropriate to tell your doctor that it isn't working well for you, but I wouldn't ask for anything specific.

It sucks for moderate to severe CP.

For minor CP it's awesome. It will be very hard to get anythings else though unless you've had surgery or some "good" bad medical records.

The reason he gave it to you is because it's less of an abusable drug and it makes him look better to the dea.

Keep in mind that if u switch to oxy or something....the pharmacy will usually be out of stock due to the dea and u will have to go through withdrawals every month

^honestly, I'd take it over oxy too but there are also options like extended release morphine or even methadone. And you make a good point about different drugs working better for different causes/severity of CP. If I were still dealing with CP, I'd definitely give bupe a fair shot, but I do have a history with addiction. I think a less addictive opioid is a smart choice in general. I'd think that the DEA would be more watchful of off-label bupe prescriptions though, and by off-label I just mean being rx'd for anything other than maintenance/tapering. What do I really know about the DEA though, other than that they watch shorter-acting opioid scripts like a hawk.

But I'm still curious about what OP has been on before.

Personally I think its terrible for chronic pain. WHy? because after a few days you dont feel anything anymore, unless you wait like 14 -16 hrs in between doses which means if youre in severe pain at hour 9 from your last dose, there is nothing you can do. taking another dose will just mean you have to wait even longer before it will be effective again. Plus it has bad side effects and bad withdrawal. It binds too tightly to your receptors to be useful for non opioid tolerant individuals.

Kratom is a far better option for chronic pain in my experience.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Prior to this rx I was on Tylenol 3....so it does seem like quite a jump. T3 wasn't helping anymore and I was having to take too many to even get any relief. I have arthritis and bone pain from the medication I take for breast cancer treatment. The medication causes joint/bone pain so it makes the arthritis worse. I swear the chemo has caused this...but that is a whole other subject.

I felt that the buprenorphine was helping the first few days, then insurance said it wouldn't cover it. Insurance will only cover the Zubsolv combo that has bupe and naloxone together. I don't know why, but this doesn't seem to help as much and the drowsiness is awful. I can barely function from the need to lay down and I don't want to feel like this all the time. IDK, I'd almost rather go back to T3 then deal with these SE's. bleh

I get the same effect from bupe every single time, without tolerance playing a role at all , i do 2mg in AM, and 2mg in the evening
Works the same everytime. Pain wise

I had the same issue bupe itself was great, but the Suboxone was crap... bupe I could take every twelve hours and be fine... Suboxone anything from 1-4x at 1-4 mg a dose never gave reliefe and even though I was drowsy at first it caused crazy insomnia and by the end I wanted off so bad I obtained clonazolam to help and ended up blacking out for four days becoming completely suicidal worse than I'd ever have been when I had consciously developed suicidal ideation. I don't know what to recommend you though as if you asked for the regimen I'd recommend that I was scripted once you'd be labeled and pushed to relying on the street as I am, which has left me with a heroin habit bad.

I'd recommend getting off subs quick though because the longer you are on them the longer they will be in your system when you quit causing prolonged withdrawals of weeks at a time and months of post acute withdrawal.... You'd be better off figuring out a good regimen of poppy seed tea, which you can easily obtain the poppy seeds off Amazon for.

For chronic pain I recommend alternating between kratom and poppy seed/pod tea plus you can add whatever opiates you get from a dr into your rotation. There are also other herbs which are useful for pain like marijuana, kava and akuama seeds. By using herbs and rotating you can keep your tolerance low, as opposed to just taking bupe or t3 every day where you will just end up building a tolerance and rendering it ineffective.

Yeah personally I wouldn't even touch bupe for chronic pain....not from a doctor at least. Off the street in a pinch, sure, but long term is a big negatory for me.

I think pain doctors all want to prescribe the "least addictive" option for pain, as often as they can. Naturally that's either something like Tramadol or Buperenorphine (in their minds), but the problem is, that a lot of the "less addictive" stuff doesn't work at all for a lot of chronic pain patients.

Going straight from T3's to Buperenorphine either suggests your pain doc secretly wants you off of opioids, doesn't want to Rx the good stuff ^^(see above bit), or is just a freakin tool who doesn't know as much about medicine as I know about lady-Gaga.
I don't know shit about lady gaga, except from those commercials she ran during the World Series....!

Buperenorphine is PROVEN to cause so much more sedation, doped-up feeling, or all around opioid intoxication, when compared to classical phenantherene opiates or opioids. That's why it's GREAT for addicts, but kinda useless and/or unsafe for chronic pain patients, who don't want a buzz, but just need narcotic medications to reduce their pain, improve their quality of life so we can work and do shit. To function like normal people in other words.

The classical Opiates and Opioids are actually much safer than bupe and stuff, but the doctors want to make money, want to cover their asses, and probably have a few other prioirities ahead of America's quality of life.

Obama care may be part of it, idk, but the liberal media sure is with their "opioid epidemic".....makes life exceedingly difficult for us huddled, tired, sore, aching masses....ya know like the statue of liberty? No? Oh well fuck it.

Good luck OP, don't let you're pain doctor boss you around, if it doesn't work or you don't want it speak up!

The butrans patch is indicated for 24 hr pain management. I think your insurance should cover that if it's available.

But I agree with others who have said kratom is a better choice... I think it'll be better long-term than pretty much any prescription opioid

In surprised your doctor didn't prescribe tapentadol before trying bupe... seems like an odd jump. Tapentadol won't make you as drowsy, but some people are too sensitive to the NRI effects.

Try kratom if you haven't yet.

yes, for me kratom is a better painkiller long term than heroin. i find heroin used long term builds a massive tolerance and i tend to experience side effects like sedation, irritability, emotioinal numbness, depression and anxiety when using heroin daily for long periods. It doesnt even work well for pain because I build such a tolerance that I only feel pain relief briefly after i shoot up and then i just feel tired and not like doing anything. kratom i can live a normal life and i dont seem to build an insane tolerance. a few grams of kratom continues to work for pain for long periods of time.

I agree completely about kratom. T3 to suboxone sounds like a huge jump, no wonder OP is feeling bad/tired. Idk, you know your doctor best obviously, but I doubt you'd be labeled as a drug-seeker that easily with a cancer diagnosis. If you can get different meds, I feel like morphine would probably be a decent choice.

Going straight from T3s to bupe almost sounds irresponsible, there's so much middle ground between codeine and bupe.

I need advice/input please, I'm very new so forgive me if I'm doing it wrong. I recently was rx'd buprenorphine for chronic pain after seeing pain mngt doctor for the first time. I got alot of flack from insurance and pharmacy as this is typically used for detox. In addition to that I'm not liking this drug at all. I am very drowsy and after the first few days it doesn't seem as effective.

Does anyone have experience with this drug for pain management? Also how appropriate is it for me to tell the doctor I want something else, I don't like this drug. I just don't want to be marked as a pill seeke.
Thx for any input
Hey Tang, where I live suboxone is super popular as a pain med in the drug rehab community. However, the very best thing you can do is ask for a genetic test to find out which drugs will be hard for your body to metabolize. This leads to more of the drug staying in your bloodstream and thus being much more effective in small doses. The test is just a cheek swab w/ a q-tip, no big deal :) I found out my body doesn't metabolize methadone very well and I've been AMAZED how well 5mg 3X daily deletes my pain :) I take the 3 doses at 10am, 11am, and 12am so that I get the most pain relief from mid morning tip evening :) Methadone is some sick shit for pain! It saturates your entire body and soon your pain disappears without even taking your dose. I still suffer if I have to exert myself, like being on my feet for a couple hours, but nothing like the old days w/ morphine which didn't do jack for me.

Personally I think its terrible for chronic pain. WHy? because after a few days you dont feel anything anymore, unless you wait like 14 -16 hrs in between doses which means if youre in severe pain at hour 9 from your last dose, there is nothing you can do. taking another dose will just mean you have to wait even longer before it will be effective again. Plus it has bad side effects and bad withdrawal. It binds too tightly to your receptors to be useful for non opioid tolerant individuals.

Kratom is a far better option for chronic pain in my experience.
hype is similar to methadone in that although it will hold you for 24 hours (or more) from withdrawal, it only offers analgesia for about 8 hours. This means you take some every few hours and you will be covered :)

Kratom doesn't even touch my pain compared to methadone. i think for severe pain the best options are methadone, buprenorphine and fentanyl. definitely something long acting because short acting opioid addiction sucks :) Like waking up in the middle of the night sick.

I think it makes more sense to start with something like codeine and move to something stronger if it doesn't work. Obviously I don't know everything about OPs medical history, so there might be a reason that the doc prescribed bupe. But I think it makes a lot more sense to start with a weak opioid and work up to stronger ones. Bupe just seems like a really strange jump from T3s. Kratom is a much more sustainable habit than most Rx opioid