• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Buddhism and observable truths

stonerfromohio

Bluelighter
Something unique to Buddhism is that all the truths postulated are observable I would like to have a discussion on what people think about the truths Buddha expounded and if they disagree with them to give logical, observable arguments as to why what he said is false in your opinion.

I want to start first with the four noble truths the main core of Buddhism:

1. Life means suffering.

To live means to suffer, because the human nature is not perfect and neither is the world we live in. During our lifetime, we inevitably have to endure physical suffering such as pain, sickness, injury, tiredness, old age, and eventually death; and we have to endure psychological suffering like sadness, fear, frustration, disappointment, and depression. Although there are different degrees of suffering and there are also positive experiences in life that we perceive as the opposite of suffering, such as ease, comfort and happiness, life in its totality is imperfect and incomplete, because our world is subject to impermanence. This means we are never able to keep permanently what we strive for, and just as happy moments pass by, we ourselves and our loved ones will pass away one day, too.

2. The origin of suffering is attachment.

The origin of suffering is attachment to transient things and the ignorance thereof. Transient things do not only include the physical objects that surround us, but also ideas, and -in a greater sense- all objects of our perception. Ignorance is the lack of understanding of how our mind is attached to impermanent things. The reasons for suffering are desire, passion, ardour, pursuit of wealth and prestige, striving for fame and popularity, or in short: craving and clinging. Because the objects of our attachment are transient, their loss is inevitable, thus suffering will necessarily follow. Objects of attachment also include the idea of a "self" which is a delusion, because there is no abiding self. What we call "self" is just an imagined entity, and we are merely a part of the ceaseless becoming of the universe.

3. The cessation of suffering is attainable.

The cessation of suffering can be attained through nirodha. Nirodha means the unmaking of sensual craving and conceptual attachment. The third noble truth expresses the idea that suffering can be ended by attaining dispassion. Nirodha extinguishes all forms of clinging and attachment. This means that suffering can be overcome through human activity, simply by removing the cause of suffering. Attaining and perfecting dispassion is a process of many levels that ultimately results in the state of Nirvana. Nirvana means freedom from all worries, troubles, complexes, fabrications and ideas. Nirvana is not comprehensible for those who have not attained it.

4. The path to the cessation of suffering.

There is a path to the end of suffering - a gradual path of self-improvement, which is described more detailed in the Eightfold Path. It is the middle way between the two extremes of excessive self-indulgence (hedonism) and excessive self-mortification (asceticism); and it leads to the end of the cycle of rebirth. The latter quality discerns it from other paths which are merely "wandering on the wheel of becoming", because these do not have a final object. The path to the end of suffering can extend over many lifetimes, throughout which every individual rebirth is subject to karmic conditioning. Craving, ignorance, delusions, and its effects will disappear gradually, as progress is made on the path.

1. Right View Wisdom
2. Right Intention
3. Right Speech Ethical Conduct
4. Right Action
5. Right Livelihood
6. Right Effort Mental Development
7. Right Mindfulness
8. Right Concentration

So essentially life is suffering because we are born, we age, we have sickness and then we have death and in between that all our loved ones die, everything we worked for passes away. Since we believe ourselves to be static self-existent separate entity's existing independent of other beings and phenomenon we have craving and attachment the reason attachment causes suffering is the fact that everything is passing away and if you are attached to impermanent things of this life then you will be experiencing constant suffering as nothing is permanent and we will be grasping at things which are constantly eluding our grasp. The reason craving causes suffering is the fact that we can never be quenched of our desire indulging in sense pleasures is like drinking salt water, the more we drink the more we crave.

When we extinguish the desire for fleeting sensual pleasure that only causes more desire and attachment then we can be liberated from actions that only cause suffering and bind us even more to the wheel of cause and effect. The eight-fold-path is basically the way out of the wheel of cause and effect by committing actions that lead to liberation rather than suffering. Buddhism is basically a philosophy of life that analyzes our current conditions, anyone can observe that all things are impermanent our lives, our thoughts, the days and nights, our pleasures, conversations, places we live, places we go it all fades away and when you look back its no more real than a dream. Why grasp at things that hold no more reality that dreams? To do that only increases your suffering.

Not only can you observe that all things are impermanent but you can see the lack of genuine satisfaction from chasing fleeting pleasures money, sex, drugs, and food do not provide any lasting happiness they are fleeting pleasures and the more we indulge in them the more bound we become to them. I was a drug user for many years and the more I smoked pot the more I wanted it, the more I tripped on LSD or mushrooms the more I wanted to trip, the more I smoked cigarettes the more I wanted another one, the more I ate expensive food the more I wanted it. So you can observe both these truths in your everyday experience see if you can find anything permanent in your life, see if you can get lasting satisfaction from drugs, money food or sex these truths can be experienced.

If you start on the path to liberation and you experience even moderate release from attachment and desire then you can feel the release that comes from that, you can feel a sense of lasting peace and tranquility that follows. The more we unwind ourselves to our attachments and desires the more happiness that comes about. When we start to follow the eight-fold-path and try and change our thoughts, actions, speech, views, intentions, and daily work into virtuous endeavors then we start to experience more happiness. Buddhism analyzes life and looks at what actions cause suffering and which ones lead to happiness non-virtuous action causes unhappiness and virtuous action causes happiness its that simple.

The reason analyzing the impermanence of all things is important is it allows us to stop chasing our desire for impermanent things and it allows us to not be attach to fleeting forms because they are all passing away. We already analyzed why to follow the 8-fold-path because it leads to virtuous action which leads to happiness.

I could go into emptiness, meditation, karma and rebirth but this is already fairly long id like to hear peoples arguments against these truths, responses, or questions. Thank you for reading.

What we call "self" is just an imagined entity, and we are merely a part of the ceaseless becoming of the universe.
The path to the end of suffering can extend over many lifetimes, throughout which every individual rebirth is subject to karmic conditioning.
Isn't calling these claims "observable" stretching the meaning of that term a little?

Dr. Ian Stevenson has done much research on reincarnation, the traditions of Hinduism and Buddhism both have many documented cases of reincarnation with supporting evidence. Karma is merely cause and effect you can observe it all around you, all beings and phenomena arise because of cause and effect. During meditation it is very easy to analyze what you hold to be your self is illusory its merely an appearance of the mind a good quick video illustrating this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= DjKmn-qp6eY .

That link doesn't work.
During meditation it is very easy to analyze what you hold to be your self is illusory its merely an appearance of the mind
During a DMT trip it is very easy to observe the self transforming machine elves, it doesn't make them real.

Documented cases of reincarnation?

Documented doesn't make it true.

You can document the world is flat.

Now, I'm not arguing against reincarnation, I'm simply stating that scientifically, at least right now, we lack any means required to prove such a thing.

That link doesn't work.

During a DMT trip it is very easy to observe the self transforming machine elves, it doesn't make them real.

The link works but I had to put a space between the = and the D so it didnt make a smiley face, delete the space and it will work. Analyzing the mind through meditative contemplation and introspection is a lot different than taking a hallucinogen and watching projections of your mind turn into machine elves.

Documented cases of reincarnation?

Documented doesn't make it true.

You can document the world is flat.

Now, I'm not arguing against reincarnation, I'm simply stating that scientifically, at least right now, we lack any means required to prove such a thing.

Dr. Stevenson's credentials are impeccable. He is a medical doctor and had many scholarly papers to his credit before he began paranormal research. He is the former head of the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Virginia, and now is Director of the Division of Personality Studies at the University of Virginia.

http://reluctant-messenger.com/reincarnation-proof.htm

Twenty Cases Suggestive of Reincarnation: Second Edition, Revised and Enlarged
Life Before Life: A Scientific Investigation of Children's Memories of Previous Lives
Where Reincarnation and Biology Intersect
Reincarnation and Biology: A Contribution to the Etiology of Birthmarks and Birth Defects
Children Who Remember Previous Lives: A Question of Reincarnation
European Cases of the Reincarnation Type
Cases of the Reincarnation Type, Volume III: Twelve Cases in Lebanon and Turkey

Hes not the only one with evidence of reincarnation there are many others who have followed his lead, you could also consult the innumerable near death experiences which talk about reincarnation... I believe that the Hindu and Tibetan traditions speak for themselves in regards to reincarnation though.

Last edited:
Analyzing the mind through meditative contemplation and introspection is a lot different than taking a hallucinogen and watching projections of your mind turn into machine elves.
Why is a meditation-induced experience more reliable than a drug-induced one?

Why is a meditation-induced experience more reliable than a drug-induced one?

"The gift of learning to meditate is the greatest gift you can give yourself in this life. For it is only through meditation that you can undertake the journey to discover your true nature, and so find the stability and confidence you will need to live, and die, well. Meditation is the road to enlightenment.- Sogyal Rinpoche, The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying"

In meditation you are not inducing an experience with an external source, you are not taking an intoxicating substance to blur your perceptions of reality, to distort your experience of reality. When you take drugs your merely poisoning your mind and your body. Meditation is resting in the innate nature of your mind, free from the minds projections, free from the ideas of subject and object, free from emotions, you are calmly abiding in the true nature of mind, in non-dual undifferentiated awareness. Taking drugs is nothing like this, meditation is not poison, meditation has nothing to do with perceptions or distortions, its resting in the non-conceptual, non-distorted awareness that is the true essence of your mind.

And meditation is not an experience, its not inducing an experience into the mind it is resting in no mind, resting in the still silent spaciousness of your own Buddha Nature.

To put it better:

Advaita is a sanskrit word that literally means "not two". Synonyms of Advaita are non-duality (nonduality, non duality). Advaita is not a philosophy or a religion. Non-duality is an experience in which there is no separation between subject and object; a "me" and the rest of the universe; a "me" and God. It is the experience of consciousness, our true nature, which reveals itself as absolute happiness, love and beauty. Consciousness is defined as that, whatever that is, which is aware of these very words right here, right now.

A sage is one who knowingly lives as consciousness. Since awareness is impersonal and universal, there is only one sage beyond the apparent distinctions of race, gender, age, etc. A sage is not necessarily a spiritual teacher, and a spiritual teacher is not necessarily a sage. Ramana Maharshi, Krishna Menon and Jean Klein were such sages who taught in the 20th century. Ramana Maharshi used the self inquiry method with his less advanced disciples. The student who practices self inquiry keeps his attention focused onto the source of the I-thoughts and I-feelings, whenever they arise. Once enlightenment has taken place, the process of self inquiry continues effortlessly. The attention spontaneously reverts to the source at the end of each thought and feeling and there is no need to focus the attention any longer. More advanced students can be taken directly to the experience of their true self by hearing the truth from the lips of the guru and/ or through his silent presence. This is called the direct path, the path used, among others, by Ramana Maharshi, Krishna Menon and Jean Klein. The process of self realization continues spontaneously until the body-mind-world firmly abides in peace and happiness. Everything that can be said about the experience of non duality is, at best, a pale approximation at the level of concepts, a mere pointer. Zen Buddhism uses the metaphor of a finger pointing to the moon: although the finger points to the moon, the finger and the moon belong to two different worlds.

Advaita transcends all religions, philosophies and nationalities. It doesn't divide, but rather unites. Fanatic members of different religions can never agree about their concepts of God, but sages from different backgrounds can never disagree about their shared experience of non duality. The founders of all great religions were sages. Nonduality is at the core of Hinduism, Sufism, Zen Buddhism, Kashmeeri Shaivism and of the teachings of Christ:

Hinduism: "That which is not (the objects as separate from the Self) never comes into being, and that which is (The Self) never ceases to be". (BaghavadGita)

Hinduism, Kashmeeri Shaivism: "Oh Marvel! This illusion, although expressed in multiplicity, is no other than consciousness-without-a-second. Ha, all is but pure essence aware of itself." (Abhinavagupta)

Sufism: "There is nothing but God" Zen Buddhism: "Question: When a sound ceases, does awareness cease?Answer: Awareness never ceases" (HuiHai)

Hinduism, Kashmeeri Shaivism: "The universe awakens when You awaken and vanishes when You withdraw. Therefore the totality of existence and non-existence is one with You." (Abhinavagupta)

Christianity: "Jesus said: "I" is the light (of awareness) that shines upon all things. "I" is the All from which everything emanates and to which everything returns." (Thomas, 186)

Enlightenment is the sudden recognition that non-duality is, has always been, and will always be the reality of our experience. Duality is an illusion. Consciousness is not private and personal, but impersonal, universal, and eternal. There is no limited personal entity, no conscious ego. The ego is a perceived object, not the all perceiving awareness.

Self realization is the subsequent stabilization in the peace, happiness and freedom of our natural state. The world, seen in the light of impersonal awareness, reveals itself as a permanent miracle, a divine display that celebrates its invisible source.

A living guru (spiritual teacher) is, in most cases, necessary to facilitate both enlightenment and self realization. Although the karana guru (the guru whose role is to help the disciple trough the last stages of realization) appears to the disciple as a seemingly separate human being, he or she is knowingly established as universal consciousness. He sees the disciple as his own Self. Consciousness in the disciple, being recognized for what it truly is, resonates with the silent presence of the guru. The mind of the disciple becomes gradually and mysteriously quiet, with or without the use of words, until the student has a glimpse of the causeless joy of his natural state. A relationship of love, freedom and friendliness that leads to the eventual spontaneous stabilization of the disciple in happiness and peace gets established.

A true karana guru never sees himself as superior or inferior to anybody, nor does he or she take himself or anybody for a sage or an ignorant, for a spiritual teacher or a disciple. This impersonal attitude creates an unmistakable perfume of friendship and freedom that is a prerequisite for the success of the final stages of the self realization process.

In meditation you are not inducing an experience with an external source, you are not taking an intoxicating substance to blur your perceptions of reality, to distort your experience of reality. When you take drugs your merely poisoning your mind and your body.
Meditation alters your normal state of consciousness just as drugs do. I am sure that there are changes in brain chemistry associated with meditation; thus it seems that meditation is just as vulnerable to accusations of being an illusory, chemically induced source of knowledge as drugs are. It is possible to achieve similar states of consciousness through both drugs and meditation. I don't see any objective reason to accept one as a reliable means to knowledge and dismiss the other.
And meditation is not an experience
I've meditated, and I definitely experienced it.

stoner, i think your getting ahead of yourself with what you believe to be buddhist truth... not an insult i do that all the time. in the end it all boils down to nothing.... and everthing.... that 'all one' stuff. living the 8 noble truths will not make you enlightened, though it will make you a more moral person, i believe.

until you are an enlightened being and can truly rest in the true nature of mind, meditation is a projection just as psychedelics are a projection.

btw, psyches have helped me realize this almost as much as meditation, dont discount something just because it wasnt written down in the old buddhist scripts. though i think buddhism is as close a teaching as ive seen for reaching nirvana, its important not to confuse the teaching for the real thing.

(if this makes any sense)

Dr. Stevenson's credentials are impeccable. He is a medical doctor and had many scholarly papers to his credit before he began paranormal research. He is the former head of the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Virginia, and now is Director of the Division of Personality Studies at the University of Virginia.

http://reluctant-messenger.com/reincarnation-proof.htm

Twenty Cases Suggestive of Reincarnation: Second Edition, Revised and Enlarged
Life Before Life: A Scientific Investigation of Children's Memories of Previous Lives
Where Reincarnation and Biology Intersect
Reincarnation and Biology: A Contribution to the Etiology of Birthmarks and Birth Defects
Children Who Remember Previous Lives: A Question of Reincarnation
European Cases of the Reincarnation Type
Cases of the Reincarnation Type, Volume III: Twelve Cases in Lebanon and Turkey

Hes not the only one with evidence of reincarnation there are many others who have followed his lead, you could also consult the innumerable near death experiences which talk about reincarnation... I believe that the Hindu and Tibetan traditions speak for themselves in regards to reincarnation though.

Listen, like I said, documented doesn't make it true.

I can find you studies that show you that eating flax seeds (generally considered to be one of the healthiest foods for you in the world by almost everyone) gives you cancer.

I'm sure his work has some merit, but obviously, something is lacking in his studies... I mean if it was proven without a doubt, I think I would've seen something on tv about it. NEWSFLASH REINCARNATION PROVEN TO BE SCIENTIFICALLY TRUE!!!

Maybe I'll take a look at the studies later, but for now I gotta do my reading for philosophy :)

You have not investigated the studies at all, not hearing something on the news or popular news outlets does not take away the credibility from something. He interviews children claiming to remember past lives he listens to the information they tell him regarding their previous lives and then he goes and confirms the information with the previous families these cases claim to have been a member of in their previous life. Often times he takes the child with him and the child points to each member of the family saying this is so and this person is so and so and then reveals family secrets which no one outside the family could know. You have to investigate it yourself before you discredit something, or your not being scientific at all your dismissing something that doesn't fit into your worldview because you believe it to be untrue that's not open minded or scientific.

stoner, i think your getting ahead of yourself with what you believe to be buddhist truth... not an insult i do that all the time. in the end it all boils down to nothing.... and everthing.... that 'all one' stuff. living the 8 noble truths will not make you enlightened, though it will make you a more moral person, i believe.

until you are an enlightened being and can truly rest in the true nature of mind, meditation is a projection just as psychedelics are a projection.

btw, psyches have helped me realize this almost as much as meditation, dont discount something just because it wasnt written down in the old buddhist scripts. though i think buddhism is as close a teaching as ive seen for reaching nirvana, its important not to confuse the teaching for the real thing.

(if this makes any sense)

Resting in the true nature of mind takes no effort, it is ceasing effort, it is letting go of the thinking mind, and preconceived ideas about reality. You don't have to meditate for years to rest in the true nature of mind, anyone can do it Buddha nature is our innate mind, our natural mind. Psychedelics will give you fleeting glimpses and then it fades away. Buddhism is one among many teachings that are a finger pointing at the moon. All beings are enlightened beings. If you do not believe me to be representing Buddhist teachings rightly please tell me where I have gone wrong and I will gladly correct it.

This weekend I am attending a retreat at the Gar Drolma Choling Dharma center and receiving Padmasambava empowerment as well as Dzogchen teachings and teachings on Guru yoga from Traga Rinpoche and Lama Gape. So if they point out something which I have been incorrect on I will most certainly come on here and edit my post and point out where I have mislead you.

Last edited:
Meditation alters your normal state of consciousness just as drugs do. I am sure that there are changes in brain chemistry associated with meditation; thus it seems that meditation is just as vulnerable to accusations of being an illusory, chemically induced source of knowledge as drugs are. It is possible to achieve similar states of consciousness through both drugs and meditation. I don't see any objective reason to accept one as a reliable means to knowledge and dismiss the other.

I've meditated, and I definitely experienced it.

MEDITATION MAY MAKE YOU THINK OF "QUIETING THE mind" and giving your brain a vacation. But researchers now realize that the opposite is true. Deep meditation involves activity in multiple regions of your brain, according to researcher Andrew Newberg, M.D., of the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine in Philadelphia. Knowing how the brain responds to meditation could help scientists understand the healing effects of this ritual. Here's what researchers know so far:

1. Concentrating fully on an object promotes activity in your frontal lobe, which controls motivation.

2. Looking at spiritual images like candles stimulates your lower temporal lobe, where you process visual stimuli.

3. Chanting stimulates the juncture where your temporal, frontal, and parietal lobes meet, which stimulates relaxation.

4. Feelings of joy or awe mean your temporal lobe, which also regulates emotion, is activated.

5. When you lose a sense of connection with your surroundings and feel "one with the universe," the top part of your parietal lobe (which processes sensations) is quiet.

http://www.mindandlife.org/ is the place to go if you want the science of meditation mindandlife institute is an active dialogue between top western neuro-scientists and the Dalai Lama.

You have to investigate it yourself before you discredit something, or your not being scientific at all your dismissing something that doesn't fit into your worldview because you believe it to be untrue that's not open minded or scientific.
I see what you're saying here, but no-one has the time to read every single study that is ever published. We have to assess claims based on how credible they seem. The claim that people undergo reincarnation necessitates a radical reworking of many of our theories about personhood, metaphysics and so on. Given the lack of empirical support for the theory, and the weight of evidence against the possibility of such a phenomenon, I think that it is perfectly acceptable to dismiss the theory without devoting a great deal of time to its study. I don't know that much about the finer points of Scientology but I would happily discredit it. Scientists often dismiss results that do not fit with their theories; for instance, a rogue result might be seen as a result of methodological errors, rather than as a paradigm-busting new discovery. This isn't being unscientific, it's inference to the best explanation, the very foundation of science.

MEDITATION MAY MAKE YOU THINK OF "QUIETING THE mind" and giving your brain a vacation. But researchers now realize that the opposite is true. Deep meditation involves activity in multiple regions of your brain, according to researcher Andrew Newberg, M.D., of the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine in Philadelphia. Knowing how the brain responds to meditation could help scientists understand the healing effects of this ritual. Here's what researchers know so far:

1. Concentrating fully on an object promotes activity in your frontal lobe, which controls motivation.

2. Looking at spiritual images like candles stimulates your lower temporal lobe, where you process visual stimuli.

3. Chanting stimulates the juncture where your temporal, frontal, and parietal lobes meet, which stimulates relaxation.

4. Feelings of joy or awe mean your temporal lobe, which also regulates emotion, is activated.

5. When you lose a sense of connection with your surroundings and feel "one with the universe," the top part of your parietal lobe (which processes sensations) is quiet.
How does any of this indicate that meditation is more reliable than drugs as a means to gain knowledge, or that meditation is not an experience?

Drugs are a sensual pleasure, drugs are a way to distort your perceptions and to cloud your mind. Meditation is a way to cultivate awareness, wisdom, and clarity. Meditation is the path to liberation, enlightenment. Drugs are addictive, drugs cause us to do things we would not normally do in a sober state of mind, drugs cause us to be preoccupied with inducing pleasure for the self and not on helping others. Drugs damage the mind and the body. I think regarding psychedelics what Alan Watts said sums it up the best, "When you get the message hang up the phone." I believe that in the West taking psychoactive substances for spiritual purposes can be a way to open yourself up to experiences of reality that we are normally not accustomed to but they can quickly lead to a path of delusion, and addiction. And not to mention drugs other than nicotine and alcohol are illegal.

I have felt experiences of oneness and clarity on psychedelics and then it subsides when I come down, leaving me worse off than I started. Psychedelics have also gave me insights into myself and others but they are temporary and can have lasting negative effects on the mind and the body. You can get the same insight and experiences through meditation. Meditation's effects are lasting they produce physical changes in the brain for the positive, they cultivate a compassionate and loving heart, they allow you to penetrate to your true nature and to stabilize abiding in that state wherever you go. There is a reason that globally most drugs are illegal, there is a reason that in every religion meditation has been praised as the way to liberation.

I see what you're saying here, but no-one has the time to read every single study that is ever published. We have to assess claims based on how credible they seem. The claim that people undergo reincarnation necessitates a radical reworking of many of our theories about personhood, metaphysics and so on. Given the lack of empirical support for the theory, and the weight of evidence against the possibility of such a phenomenon, I think that it is perfectly acceptable to dismiss the theory without devoting a great deal of time to its study. I don't know that much about the finer points of Scientology but I would happily discredit it. Scientists often dismiss results that do not fit with their theories; for instance, a rogue result might be seen as a result of methodological errors, rather than as a paradigm-busting new discovery. This isn't being unscientific, it's inference to the best explanation, the very foundation of science.

I agree nobody has the time to read every single study that has been published. I agree we have to assess claims based on how credible they seem. I agree that the belief in reincarnation necessitates a radical reworking of many of our theories of personhood and that is something that is needed. Dr. Ian Stevenson provides empirical support and he at one time was the head of Psychiatry at the University of Virginia and is currently the head of personality studies at Virginia you are not the head of a department at a major accredited university without credibility and knowledge and respect. I disagree with you that you can dismiss the theory without devoting any time to its study that is not science that is being so skeptical to not accept new findings that disrupt your worldview. I agree scientists often dismiss results that do not fit with their theories which has lead to the materialism and dogmatism present in much of science today. If we always stick to our old models in science we never progress, through challenging the current paradigm we make new scientific discoveries and progress in our knowledge. There is a reason that many religions believe in reincarnation, including many early Christian thinkers, and now we have empirical evidence from a well known scientist at a respected university. I believe this warrants investigation and a rethinking of long held beliefs. In India, Tibet, or Thailand it would not be a surprise to believe in reincarnation and I read one poll where it said 23% of Americans now believe in reincarnation. I know that belief or majority do not make something true but I believe there is a reason Hinduism, Buddhism and early Christians as well as Plato, Socrates and Pythagoras as well as Henry Ford among many many others believe in reincarnation.