• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Buckfast question

when i was a kid coming up in the tenements of new york city there were thousands of bottles of gallo muscatel in the various bum hidey holes .

i tried it and talk about sweet - absolutely cloying

the shit that janis joplin swilled i.e. southern comfort is an absolutely horrible, highly sweetened liqueur that runs 100 proof .

all that sweetened stuff is what constitutes head busting hang overs.

i stick to 190 proof alc and club soda -- never, ever a hang over but metering is an art or taking a dive is in the cards for me .

Agreed that clean, (very) high percentage ABV spirit is the best for avoiding hangovers. Used to drink a lotta home-distilled "moonshine" spirit - 80-90% ABV depending on batch. Cleanest "drunk" I ever had. No sloppiness and almost speedy effect with zero hangover. Must agree that the hangover from Bucky and the like can be pretty brutal. Tis fun at the time though. Pretty much the story with (almost) all booze really :\

i have tae lugh now whewn folk used tae thgink the higgest number was strongest

My housemates used to think the lower number was better for some reason. Lower numbers were the first bottles filled from a batch or some crap. 8)

You cant seem to find it to buy in Devon-and thats were its fucking made-BUCFAST ABBEY! wtf?

Victoria Wine always sold it most places I've lived. Usually on the top shelf behind the counter and covered in an inch thick layer of dust. Hard to spot but they've usually had it if I ask. Tis pretty pricey for trampjuice though. About twice as much as it is north of the border :\

I swear I saw it in pharmacy in Openshaw (infamous Manc ghetto) once. Must be a false memory, but in Openshaw "nothing's shocking" as Mr. Farrell once said.

I drink the stuff every weekend basically. A bottle of it is perfect to have before headin out to the pub/club. Not to mention come down cure.. nothing kicks one like a bottle of tonic.

I swear I saw it in pharmacy in Openshaw (infamous Manc ghetto) once. Must be a false memory, but in Openshaw "nothing's shocking" as Mr. Farrell once said.

You certainly did. I've seen it & another tonic wine called sanatogen in a pharmacy before.. think they sell the sanatogen stuff in tescos aswell, wonder how it compares to buckfast.

Pharmacies definitely sell Sanatogen tonic but don't think it has much of an alcohol content. Tis meant as a straight multivitamin kinda thing and aimed at old folk, as far as I know. Bucky on the pharmacy shelves would be brilliant though :D

Pharmacies definitely sell Sanatogen tonic but don't think it has much of an alcohol content. Tis meant as a straight multivitamin kinda thing and aimed at old folk, as far as I know. Bucky on the pharmacy shelves would be brilliant though :D

Its got exactly the same alcohol content as buckfast, which is why I'm tempted to try it lol.

Really?!? Am gobsmacked. Pretty sure the ones I've seen contain minimal alcohol content. Maybe it's a regional thing? Got excited a few times cos it sounds good and looks somewhat similar to the Bucky label but upon reading the label its all herb and no ethanol or caffeine whenever I've seen it. Will be double-checking the ones they sell in my local pharmacy again though for sure :D

Thanks for the linky :)

Have seen Santogen that looks like that but have also seen bottles that are totally different looking that appear to be shite and put me off from looking too closely at others. Will double-definitely be looking closely at the local chemist next time though =D

PS: The non-alcoholic bottles I've seen are not round like wine bottles but square(ish) - more like half bottles of voddy or summat only 70cl size and with a massive list of herbs and minerals listed but a very low (or possibly even non-existent - memory fails) alcohol content. Possibly the more acceptable version for the vit-freak market?

do you see? UK = chemist. US = druggist. i have been to a pharmacy (drug store) that had a sign above it's entrance lettering their name and ''drugs, guns and hard ware''.
the US intermountain western states are an exercise in polemics.

their majority vote right wing, go with the 'war on drugs', are steeped in backward ass religious superstition and have all manner of money tied up in weapons collections .

good houses to rob !

Ha! Am always highly amused at those massive "Drugs" or "Druggist" signs you see in US films when they mean pharmacist/chemist. Chemist is just what pharmacies are called in the UK is all. They don't have big signs saying "DRUGS" in massive neon letters outside either :D

My housemates used to think the lower number was better for some reason. Lower numbers were the first bottles filled from a batch or some crap. 8)

It's just the number of vat they come from apparently.

It took me a while to find bucky in Bristol, I live in Stokes Croft, notorious area for street drinking and homeless alcoholics, you have to ask for it especially in one shop as they hide it on the bottom shelf behind the counter.

I could take a little drive up the road and see if the monks would sort us ot a special BL batch? :p :D

the number on the bottle is from the bottel manufature, some kind of QA code, nothing to do with the content