Bluelight Community Survey - We need your help!

Tronica

Executive Director
Staff member
Bluelight is currently going through a rebranding process. Part of that is to canvas sentiment and ideas from the community, including our staff and everyone that uses all of our platforms.

We've put together a survey for this purpose. It will take 15-20 minutes to complete.

We are looking for anyone who uses Bluelight's website and/or social media platforms. From people who just read/lurk all the way through to our senior staffer.

We would love to collect 100s (maybe even over 1000?!) responses in the next 2 weeks. This is your chance to input into the direction of Bluelight, including new designs for the logo, new features for the website and even into the content of our upcoming podcast!

Edit - removed URL as survey now closed. We have 113 responses so thanks to everyone who participated and we look forward to sharing more really soon!

Last edited:
Just completed.

.. Bloody annoyed that you lot went with 'Latinx' in the question about ethnicity.
I thought this place was more sensible than that and that contamination hadn't got here yet.

The correct word is LATINO, and it's already a neutral term when used for the population group as a whole - it's what's grammatically known as the generic masculine. The fact that the word has a masculine grammatical gender does not mean it exclusively describes people whose biological sex is male. 'Latinx' on the other hand is an ideologically concocted linguistic abomination invented in the white Anglosphere and now forced down the throats of the people it's supposed to describe.

You'll hardly find a single actual Latino that uses it because it's unpronounceable in Spanish as well as making no sense grammatically, since Spanish conjugations and declensions are entirely based on a system of two distinct word forms; use of this non-word generally gets roundly mocked. Try telling the average South American they ought to refer to themselves as 'Latinx' and they'll laugh in your face and tell you to stuff your white 'progressive' nonsense.

Just completed.

.. Bloody annoyed that you lot went with 'Latinx' in the question about ethnicity.
I thought this place was more sensible than that and that contamination hadn't got here yet.

The correct word is LATINO, and it's already a neutral term when used for the population group as a whole - it's what's grammatically known as the generic masculine. The fact that the word has a masculine grammatical gender does not mean it exclusively describes people whose biological sex is male. 'Latinx' on the other hand is an ideologically concocted linguistic abomination invented in the white Anglosphere and now forced down the throats of the people it's supposed to describe.

You'll hardly find a single actual Latino that uses it because it's unpronounceable in Spanish as well as making no sense grammatically, since Spanish conjugations and declensions are entirely based on a system of two distinct word forms; use of this non-word generally gets roundly mocked. Try telling the average South American they ought to refer to themselves as 'Latinx' and they'll laugh in your face and tell you to stuff your white 'progressive' nonsense.
Noted re your concerns on Latinx.

To be honest it’s pretty much impossible to appeal to everyone on an item that’s meant to be relevant internationally on ethnicity/race.

The larger point your comment brings up for me is exactly what we are trying to address by asking these demographic questions. That is, we have no data on the broader demographics of our community, include race/ethnicity.

I imagine that our staff group is more male/white/hetero than our broader community, but I don’t know that. This survey will help see how diverse the community is, the staff group is, and where gaps in representation might be. 👍

Wonder why you decided to pay a (probably expensive?) branding group corp for a rebranding instead of asking some of the skilled members for their proposals first? Or did you and the result wasn't satisfying? Not meant as a critic, just asking.

Will complete the survey.

Wonder why you decided to pay a (probably expensive?) branding group corp for a rebranding instead of asking some of the skilled members for their proposals first? Or did you and the result wasn't satisfying? Not meant as a critic, just asking.

We've been going with volunteer driven work completely for a long time and people have proven to be fairly unreliable. This will be a complete, from the bottom up, rebrand.

Everybody who has the opportunity and time please go ahead and take this survey, it doesn't take very long!

I will happily take the survey but I am a little annoyed at the term Latinx--as are the vast majority of Latinos. Just sayin.
Point taken. I take responsibility for that wording. And I am clear not a Latina woman. But this is our point. We can’t have good representation of staff if we don’t even know this info about our community. So this is our (first ever!) attempt to find out then work to have a more diverse set of folks contributing.

To add to @deficiT reply, I am so far finding it very helpful to have an external agency on board. Having an external process helps us sort through all of the community perspectives. We have people who have been part of Bluelight for 25 years, we have people who joined earlier this year and only use the Discord, and we have everything in between. We want to consider this wide variety of perspectives on what we are and what we want to be (and therefore how our branding should reflect that).

We can also do both- we can utilise our community volunteers with skills AND we can bring on external people to help guide us. That’s actually one thing this survey does - provides a way of us seeing the skills and interests of our community!

Regarding the money there’s a bunch of things we want to invest in over the next 12 months as we move from a website without an organisational entity of our own - to our own full not-for-profit organisation. My job as (relatively new) Executive Director is to make all this happen for us. 😁

I love that our community is being invited to participate in the remodeling of our site.. I like remodeling as with BL we have a long tradition of staying off trying to make money from our community. This goes back a long time before I got here. The company thats helping us out, also helps out financially driven upgrades, so rebrand is motivating. We get to participate and give back on the rebrand of our site and the face of our community and BL's harm reduction.

i woul participate but what i need is not avaiable in my area from maps.
so will carry on as usual.
great promo, though.

Last edited:
i woul participate but what i need is not avaiable in my area from maps.
so will carry on as usual.
great promo, though.
What do you mean? Is something preventing you from taking the survey?

No I support maps and wanted to get into mdma trial to see if i could get some shit straightened out in my head but its not available in my area or nearby whats the f ing point?
not taking survey cause of the childish side of me being rebellious and/or contempt

No I support maps and wanted to get into mdma trial to see if i could get some shit straightened out in my head but its not available in my area or nearby whats the f ing point?
not taking survey cause of the childish side of me being rebellious and/or contempt
Oh I see. This has nothing to do with MAPS, this is a community survey from Bluelight to get a reading from the community about the upcoming changes to Bluelight.

Oh I see. This has nothing to do with MAPS, this is a community survey from Bluelight to get a reading from the community about the upcoming changes to Bluelight.
That’s right. We don’t actually mention MAPS in the survey.

Sorry you can’t get into an MDMA trial. Trial access is pretty limited. Even if it was in your area, you’d have to satisfy lots of conditions. Having said that in the US and CAN it looks promising for more general roll out over next couple of years. In Australia we are still just starting clinical trials, so a longer way behind.

As much as we are still partnered with MAPS here at Bluelight, our goal is to become fully independent from them. They know this (hi MAPS!) and are supportive. It’s a bit like a teenager leaving home. Bluelight will soon become an independent adult and will be able to fully make our own decisions, organisationally and financially.

But rest assured this survey has zero to do with MAPS @6am-64-14m ❤️

Uhhhh.... question asking about "brands" worked with can this be expounded on a bit I have no clue what this refers to.
Thx

Uhhhh.... question asking about "brands" worked with can this be expounded on a bit I have no clue what this refers to.
Thx
Sure. It’s just a check as some ppl may have lots of exp with brands, others not so much.

Just skip any question you are unsure of.