• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film Blade Runner 2

ForEverAfter

Ex-Bluelighter
There doesn't seem to be a thread about this.

Hot on the heels of his Prometheus hype, Ridley Scott is re-uniting with Blade Runner screenwriter Hampton Fancher to create a sequel to one of the most acclaimed science fiction films ever made. Harrison Ford was in talks to reprise his role as Rick Deckard; but Scott confirmed - thankfully - that isn't going to happen. The Blade Runner sequel will feature a female protagonist. That is pretty much all the information out, at the moment.

I'm not sure what to think of this. I'm excited about Prometheus, but Blade Runner film was more "complete" than Alien. Alien left questions unanswered; an entire universe to explore. Blade Runner 2 is more likely to be a conceptual rehashing of the original film. But then, maybe not.

Thoughts; Reactions; Salivations?

^I see your Noooooooooo.

And I raise you a NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure what to think of this. I'm excited about Prometheus, but Blade Runner film was more "complete" than Alien. Alien left questions unanswered; an entire universe to explore.

In a way Blade Runner also left a Universe to explore. Roy Batty's last lines took the film from Earth to the farthest reaches of space. "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion..." But I agree Blade Runner is a "complete" film.

A sequel just seems like a bad idea.

Although I have read that it might possibly be a prequel instead of a sequel. But I don't see how that would make much of a difference.

they've been talking about this a while. i thought i made a thread but i guess it must be somewhere in the off topic thread. yeah, thank odin ford has nothing to do with it.

It is not a prequel. It is set "some years" after the original Blade Runner according to an interview with Scott.

Blade Runner was not written with this sequel in mind. it shouldn't be hard for fans to hold the two separate in their minds. it's a new project being made in a different age of feature films. it can't hurt the original.

a female protagonist is a risky move. i imagine it's a long time before we get anything confirmed, but i'm excited to start hearing the rumors about who will play her. and if they don't mess up on that decision, i'll be interested to see it.

hydro said:
Blade Runner was not written with this sequel in mind.

"All eyes are on Ridley Scott’s pseudo Alien follow-up Prometheus this summer, but the director is also working on revisiting another one of his sci-fi classics. Last August it was announced that Scott would be directing a new Blade Runner movie. He’s been developing the film—now confirmed to be a sequel—while putting the finishing touches on Prometheus, and now it’s been announced that Scott is bringing an old friend into the fray. Hampton Fancher, who wrote the original Blade Runner, is in talks to develop and write a sequel to their groundbreaking 1982 film.

No details are given plot-wise other than the fact that this new film will take place “some years after the first film concluded.” The press release mentions that Fancher and Scott initially intended Blade Runner to be the first in a series of films incorporating the themes and characters found in Philip K. Dick’s novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, but circumstances kept further films from coming to fruition. I haven’t read Dick’s novel, so I don’t know what characters or themes this could be in reference too, but I’m beyond thrilled to see Scott taking such an interest in sci-fi as of late.

Scott himself confirmed that Harrison Ford won’t be returning for the sequel, and in a best-case scenario filming wouldn’t begin any sooner than 2013. The director is next set to direct the Cormac McCarthy-scripted drama The Counselor, which begins production next month. Scott is also said to be keen on a sequel to Prometheus should that film do well this summer, so I’m guessing if Prometheus takes off he’ll make that follow-up his post-Counselor film while he and Fancher continue to develop the script for this Blade Runner sequel."

http://collider.com/blade-runner-2-sequel-hampton-fancher/167046/

i'm not gonna put too much weight on their claims that Blade Runner was written with a series in mind. even if that was the initial intention, it's 30 years later. if this movie is good, great. if not, doesn't have anything to do with Blade Runner being an amazing classic.

Yeah, I agree. I was just pointing it out cause I think it's interesting. Not sure how much of the concepts from the original series they are going to retain for the reboot, I just think it's a good sign that they had ideas 30 years ago. When I first read about this it sounded like Scott was just trying to make some cash. But, maybe he's always wanted to do it. I'm going to remain hopeful about this. There were a lot of things taken out of the book for the original film, like the Mood Organ and the focus on exotic artificial animals. Blade Runner was not very much like Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep either, so I remain hopeful. There's a lot more to draw on from the source material. They only scratched the surface of Androids.

When they first announced that Blade Runner was going to be revisited, there were strong hints that it was going to be a re-make, which would be a disaster. I'm glad they've decided to make it a sequel because, as was mentioned, it would in no way step on the toes of the original - just like Indy 4 didn't take anything away from Raiders.

Still, it feels like a cash-in move on the heels of an already-acclaimed film (similar to Prometheus), but I guess it can't be any worse than most of the garbage in theaters nowadays.

Never really liked blade runner, I understood what the ending was going to be about 20 minutes into the film and I felt that the characters were pretty shallow. ROBOCOP 4 MOTHERFUCASSSSSS

^
I've never found his writing style great, but his ideas make up for it. Robert Reed, to take a personal favorite SF author as a counterexample, is very prolific and a better wordsmith than Dick ever was, but his works don't have the Kafkaesque tickle that will keep PKD hot far into the future. Sure, others have explored similar ideas, but PKD had the advantage of getting there first.

i LOVE dick's writing style. it really speaks to me, if you know what i mean.

anyway, this renews my desire to shoot the parody story i wrote several years ago called "do androids have hard ons in the morning?" =D

anyway, this renews my desire to shoot the parody story i wrote several years ago called "do androids have hard ons in the morning?"

Now that is a movie I'd gladly pay to see =D

Yeah, I've got to admit, I thought that was pretty fucking hilarious.

As for PKD's writing style, he's real. His stories/novels aren't published to the standard that we expect from publications because he doesn't give a shit about the standard that we expect from publications. What I love about his writing style is the rawness of it. He is not going to spend time wondering about sentences because he has better things to wonder about. His ideas are so amazing.

The novels tend to get better as he gets older. He won the Hugo award - which is the highest order of recognition for science fiction writers - for an amazing novel early in his career. It's not going to have much commercial success. Because it doesn't care if it pleases you. It is not written to please.

The last four novels he wrote are masterpieces - in terms of language and ideas. Early in his career he neglected language in order to focus on concepts, but that cannot fairly be said about his entire career.

"do androids have hard ons in the morning?"

"Do Androids dream of whatever the fuck?"

This guy tried to find out.

android_wideweb__470x312,0.jpg

354896508_f8841df857_o.jpg

Phillip-K.-Dick-Android.jpg