Mental Health Bipolar meds general questions

Snafu in the Void

Moderator: NMI Bukowski Jr.
Staff member
I was diagnosed as bipolar a few years ago and I never really agreed with that diagnosis, however my idea of bipolar is someone that is hypomanic or manic, and I don't ever experience either. I understand there are multiple types of bipolar, though. I think my doctor thought how I described repetitive intrusive thoughts and maybe the musical hallucinations as bipolar. not sure.

My sister, father and aunt I know have all been diagnosed as well, so I assume it runs in the family.

Anyways I have 3 meds I wanted to know if any of you had experience with

- Lithium
- Lamictal (Lamotrigine)
- oxcarbazepine (Trileptal)

Just wondering if any of you have experience with these drugs, my doctor prescribed them and I never really took them because I felt like I wasn't bipolar (but now, off the drugs, I'm not so sure...)

I know the last 2 should be under doctor supervisions probably, but I know I took the lamictal for a few weeks and did not have that weird side effect

anyways.... just curious if anyone had advice for me on those 3 drugs. I have a few bottles of all of them I never took. I don't plan on tripping anytime soon or anything so that's not an issue.

Lithium, yes. I was prescribed it for approximately 6 years before I wound up with a pretty bad case of lithium toxicity which felt a lot like having a common cold and lasted just as long.

Lithium is one of those drugs that has to be monitored and so they draw plasma every once in a while. If you're not okay with that, I don't blame you, but I think they only check the levels every six months or so. Could be wrong about that, though.
FYI it only works on a handful of people who ever try it, I think.

The other two I have no experience with. I have tried for several years to convince my doctors that my bipolar is easily managed if I can just do my meditation and spiritual practices. Finally I was able to, with one very open minded doctor, make this possible and have been off bipolar meds for close to two years now.

Lithium, yes. I was prescribed it for approximately 6 years before I wound up with a pretty bad case of lithium toxicity which felt a lot like having a common cold and lasted just as long.

Lithium is one of those drugs that has to be monitored and so they draw plasma every once in a while. If you're not okay with that, I don't blame you, but I think they only check the levels every six months or so. Could be wrong about that, though.
FYI it only works on a handful of people who ever try it, I think.

The other two I have no experience with. I have tried for several years to convince my doctors that my bipolar is easily managed if I can just do my meditation and spiritual practices. Finally I was able to, with one very open minded doctor, make this possible and have been off bipolar meds for close to two years now.
thanks for the advice, I forgot they used to test my levels when I took it

I guess all 3 of these drugs need to be monitored :/

Lamotrigine (Lamictal) has been useful for me. Diagnosed bipolar at age 55. Major depressions and anxiety starting at age 17. Lamo noticeably lessened anger and irritability. I still swing between feeling "OK' to inexplicably moody and depressed. Never had fun mania, but relentless insomnia. Have been on Prozac for many years.

@Snafu of the Forest, you mentioned intrusive thoughts in your first post. I was diagnosed bi-polar and put in different mood stabilisers for a while which helped with the mania and depression. However, the thoughts continued or got worse.

My doctor then decided they were similar to Obsessive Only Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and gave me Abilify. After two weeks on that I never had obsessive thoughts again as long as I was on it.

@Snafu of the Forest, you mentioned intrusive thoughts in your first post. I was diagnosed bi-polar and put in different mood stabilisers for a while which helped with the mania and depression. However, the thoughts continued or got worse.

My doctor then decided they were similar to Obsessive Only Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and gave me Abilify. After two weeks on that I never had obsessive thoughts again as long as I was on it.
I think there may have been a misunderstanding between me and my doc. Iirc I was describing my internal music hallucinations AS WELL as negative self thinking and loathing.

I was on a plethora of mood stabilizers and heavy APs.

While I believe I can stop the intrusive thoughts, the music is related to my schizo/break I had and I'm quite certain it is permanent damage. Meds won't help it, in fact some make it worse.

At least I am in a much better spot with it than I was 3-4 years ago. I've accepted I'll live with it forever.

However all of this I will bring up when I see a shrink in a few weeks 🤗

I was diagnosed as bipolar a few years ago and I never really agreed with that diagnosis, however my idea of bipolar is someone that is hypomanic or manic, and I don't ever experience either. I understand there are multiple types of bipolar, though. I think my doctor thought how I described repetitive intrusive thoughts and maybe the musical hallucinations as bipolar. not sure.

My sister, father and aunt I know have all been diagnosed as well, so I assume it runs in the family.

- Lithium
- Lamictal (Lamotrigine)

Just wondering if any of you have experience with these drugs, my doctor prescribed them and I never really took them because I felt like I wasn't bipolar (but now, off the drugs, I'm not so sure...)

I know the last 2 should be under doctor supervisions probably, but I know I took the lamictal for a few weeks and did not have that weird side effect

anyways.... just curious if anyone had advice for me on those 3 drugs. I have a few bottles of all of them I never took. I don't plan on tripping anytime soon or anything so that's not an issue.
I have extensive experience with Lamictal.

I am on 200mg in the morning, and 150mg at night for depression related to my bipolar.

Lamictal doesn’t block the effects of psychedelics because it is not an antipsychotic, at least for me, so that’s nice.

Lamictal is mainly used as an anti-seizure medication. People who are prone to seizures take it daily to ward them off. I’ve had so many doctors ask me if I have seizures because I’m on Lamictal lol. It’s kind of “on the side” for bipolar.

The most dangerous side effect you can get from Lamictal, and it usually appears when you are first starting off, is the ‘deadly’ rash. Forgive my lack of recollection for the proper term lol. It’s good you didn’t get it, but it’s super rare anyways.

I’ve found Lamictal to be JUST AWESOME! It helps my depression so much, and there is absolutely 0 side effects unlike many other psychiatric medications. And many other bipolar people I have talked to agree.

However, like most all meds, the dose will have to be upped with time. I started off with a much smaller dose (not 350mg daily). I then started to feel depressed again, and they raised it. It’s just how it be.

Lamictal is just one med in my daily cocktail. It’s important to find other meds to take it with. I also take vraylar (my AP), clonazepam, xanax as needed, topiramate, and adderall. I have Bipolar type 2, PTSD, GAD, and ADHD.

Yes mate, they do.
Yeah lithium is especially important. Some doctors order blood tests monthly to see the level of lithium in your blood (I had an ex who had to do this) to make sure there is not near a lethal amount in your body. Since lithium is a metal and all.

Interesting given how common bipolar disorder is and how old lithium is. you would think there would be a big market for more modern drugs with less side effects. I am sure companies have tried and just not found anything more effective than lithium.
My doctor is really old school and refuses to use lithium except in extremely hypomanic patients. It is SUCH an old school drug with such crazy side effects.

The main mood effects come from its’ ion transport alteration since it is a metal. I believe the reason there hasn’t been another alternative is because scientists haven’t found/don’t want to put the work into finding another “semi-safe” metal that would also change ion transport. Idk just grabbing at straws here.

Or like you said, maybe there just isn’t one more effective, but I kind of doubt there isn’t one to be found that is not a semi-dangerous metal. Doctors literally run blood tests monthly to make sure there’s not too much lithium in the patients blood.

I want to start taking one of these meds so bad arghhh

Thinking back when I was on either lithium or lamectal I don't ever remember my shrink ordering blood tests... But I remember him saying "we should probably get your levels checked" but I definitely don't remember taking any blood tests.

Argh.

I'll wait to see a doc. I'm usually kinda "fuck it" attitude when it comes to stuff like this but I think I'll wait.

My bipolar is smoking crack right now since I quit drinking 😔

I was on lithium for 5 years, made me shake real bad, especially in the morning or at night if I had used Amphetamines.

I find life better without it, the lithium that is

Seroquel helps me better.

Good luck. Mania is the best feeling there is so Im off my meds :D :D :D :D iirc they barely helped me, hope you have better luck.

I was on lithium for 5 years, made me shake real bad, especially in the morning or at night if I had used Amphetamines.
Wow yeah, I used to get the shakes real bad in the morning but I wasn't sure which drug it was, I was on lithium Adderall and several other things too

Now I know it was the lithium

Good luck. Mania is the best feeling there is so Im off my meds :D :D :D :D iirc they barely helped me, hope you have better luck.
I hate mine because it's inseparable from anxiety and I get a million thoughts per minute. My mood changes every 5 minutes. I literally feel insane and delusional.

And then the hypo hits and I get suicidal thoughts.

Fucking hate this shit. 😔

Yeah, its fun at first: everything is "so fucking clear" and then bam the feeling gets lost in the sauce. I quit my meds cause my mania/psychosis was clearly the result of an personality disorder(s). And the meds werent helping.

Though mixed is fucking awful. Just anxiety.

- Lithium
- Lamictal (Lamotrigine)

In short, 1 is worse.

I take Lithium and Lamictal. What I've heard is definitely take the lamicatal. You should probably know if you need to take it or not, especially if you get depressed. Mania isn't always easy to spot because it can feel good.

I've taken lithium, and trileptal before, both for multiple months at a time. Though I'm not sure how I could help, given that you might have an entirely different reaction than I did. lithium did nothing to me, was like taking a sugar pill, no change in mental problems. I think trileptal was one of the drugs that give me RLS real bad. I deal with my mental problems half with exercise, and the other half with kratom, dxm, high cbd weed, gabapentin, prazocin, high thc weed ( i alternate between high thc and high cbd) and miscellaneous psychedelics.

psychedelics aren't a good mix for me. I might stop lithium. Should I?