Mental Health Bipolar Disorder Mega Thread

I was prescribed depakote for a couple months. It made me depressed and flat, but kind of gave a feeling of a benzodiazepine without the enjoyment. It's hard to describe. I caution not to raise your dose without first consulting your doctor. I doubled my dosage and ended up severely depressed for a short time.

GABAergics without recreational potential never appealed to me in a clinical sense. Yet benzos seem to be at least mildly helpful to me. Not sure if I need them or not though.

I got a wicked headache from Depakote (first med Rxed after Prozac & + / - diagnosis)

Not really helpful but there you go :p
Went on Lamotrigine and Risperidone after than with mixed-positive results

I'm on it for 2 yrs now. It really helps me with hypomania but doesn't do much against (minor)depression, I should be taking sertraline as well but I'm not taking it anymore. When I was on a 200mg dose of sertraline I became hypomanic/manic, I think sertraline is pure fitlth but that's my opinion..

Don't worry I will never raise my Depakote dose, I wish I didn't need it anyway and my good doc checks my bloodwork every 6 months so as long as it's reaches it's therapeutic levels there will be no need to..

The good thing is that it potentiates benzodiazepams so I actually need less to feel more, woot!

But anyway, I'm quite stable now for awhile and I want to explore the depths of my mind again (starting with a low dose first).. I just wanted to know other peoples experiences when using psychedelics, mainly lsd, al-lad.

I take 2*500mg/day Depakote, should I skip my morning dose if I want to trip? Does it potentiate, prolong certain drugs?

Don't take too much allad. At 300 ug it's strong for me that i'm also bipolar. I think 1 blotter is more than enough. We don't need allucinations...we are no young kids anymore. I've quitted my 300ug allad trip with 3×2,5 mg zyprexa becuase of the panic so don't make my same error. I'm not taking any medicine at the moment....my last combo was abilify 5mg + depakote 500mg. Don't mix RCs with medicines or RCs between them they are more dangerous for us.

Last edited:
Hi nextgeneye. I only have a bi-polar disorder, I'm not schizophrenic so I'm not being scripted with anti-psychotics.

I'm not convinced there would be much interaction between Valproic acid and lsd or al-lad because of the different mechanism of action of both my meds and drugs.

I realize that it is a standard answer to give when someone has this 'terrible' (lol, it's not) ilness not to take any psychedelics but I have taken them all my life without any problems untill I was put on Valproic acid.

Still I'm interested in other peoples experiences ,who are scripted Valproic acid, with these psychedelic drugs.

Regards

i wouldn't expect there to be any interaction. A friend took shrooms for the first time while on depakote & had a good experience. (I did some research into the combination at that time.)

fyi antipsychotics are often prescribed for bipolar disorder, both for reduction of mania/mood control and as antidepressants. and more recently even for unipolar depression.

what dose were you on that caused hair loss....I know that's a rare side effect...but my son just started taking it today and I know that would totally freak him out....
so anyone who has experience with Lamactil...I'd like to hear
thanks

I know that is an incredibly hard step! Good for you! My son is just starting to realize that there is something going on in his brain.....he had first Dr visit today...was not a fan.......will not be going back....started him on 25 lamictal too....I am praying for some relief for him.
Best of luck to you and I am so proud of you for going for help...it's SO hard.

She takes Seroquel along with the Wellbutrin. Her hallucinations are independent of her mood. Her father is schizophrenic so you may be onto something there. Thank you for your input. I'll bring this up to our pdoc next appointment.

Yeah a anti-psychotic along with a anti-depressant is a pretty common treatment for Bipolar disorder as well as Schizoaffective disorder these days. Seroquel is however a fairly weak anti-psychotic despite it's strong sedative properties. It's sort of like the Chlorpromazine of the atypicals as in it is very sedating for most people but it is a low potency anti-psychotic. Quetiapine doesn't even begin to really act as a anti-psychotic until you reach atleast 200mg's as up until that dose it is mostly a strong H1 antagonist (a anti-histamine) which causes the sedation seroquel is famous for as well as a anti-adrenic which is why it can cause hypotension. Eventually at the right dose it starts acting as a serotonin antagonist and at higher doses a Dopamine antagonist. Though it may dissociate from the D2 receptor fairly quickly thus allowing normal Dopamine transmission which may explain Quetiapine's relative lack of movement disorders associated with anti-psychotics. I find that it really does not help my mood until i have been on it nearly a week and reach about the 300-400mg a day mark.

If Seroquel is not helping her hallucinations i would definitely recommend she go back to her doctor and maybe try another anti-psychotic. These medications are very hit or miss and something that works great for 1 person may do fuck all for another. It would be worth telling her doctor that her hallucinations seem to be independent of her mood as well. I sometimes get psychotic symptoms with severe Manic episodes especially if i am sleep deprived and i used to get them regularly with mixed states. Sometimes my depression would get so bad that i would basically become psychotic as well. Thankfully since i get mixed states much less often now or maybe it's just me getting older but i get psychotic symptoms very rarely these days.

what dose were you on that caused hair loss....I know that's a rare side effect...but my son just started taking it today and I know that would totally freak him out....
so anyone who has experience with Lamactil...I'd like to hear
thanks

I have been on Lamictal for about 7 years now at 200mg's a day. I don't get any noticeable side effects from it and it is the only mood stabilizer that has managed to stop the severe rapid cycling and mixed states i used to get. I am very thankful that it helps put it that way. Also i am 32 years old and still have as much hair as i did when i was 16 :D . Hell i don't even have grey hair yet. Hair loss is a very rare side effect of Lamictal and is much more commonly associated with Valproates like Depakote. So i would tell your son not to worry.

I really wish the best for your son because i went through my teens basically self medicating my mental illness. That was hell on earth at times.

Last edited:
Seroquel isn't really an anti-psychotic of choice for people with psychosis. That would more be risperdal/invega.

I also went through my teens self-medicating. Didn't turn out good by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm on it now and it's $$$ but does it make you tired? It makes me wired I can't calm down my thinking and I snap with anger

It's supposed to be really sedating. During the short time I was on it I didn't feel good. I would tell your doc about that.

Tell me if anyone else feels this way ever: loving someone one moment, haing them the next day because of a look or a few words they said to you

Feel like you have a split personality where you think two ways about EVERYTHING

Everyday feeling probably about 80 emotions. Going from I hate my life to wow I have an awesome life in a few hours but to the point where both feelings are so extreme it takes over you and its so over dramatic but you can't help it

Changing your opinion on everything

And so on... Basically just abrupt extreme feelings negating themselves every few minutes to hours. I hate and love the people I live with a few times a day. And I mean love to the full extent and hate to the full extent, when I haven't even seen them that day. I obsess on conversations with customers just worried if they thought I was a ducking idiot helping me or if I offended...anything I could think of.

I am EXTREMELY paranoid and extremely anxious. All of these things and more take over my life.

Any support or people who know these feelings?

I feel heartless and cold with the way I think..its terrible

Diagnosed Bi Polar type 2, GAD, depression, Perscribed and Wellbutrin 150mg 2x day, Xanax 1mg as needed

I'm feeling the Wellbutrin is clearly not cutting it

^just tell the doc; we can't diagnose you man. i know you're just asking if anyone experiences similar emotions/"things", but this is really material to say in-person to your doctor. why don't you write that down and bring notes with you the next time you see him?

I appreciate the warm welcome...
I see a psyche regularly and Im just now realizing these things and figured I'd ask for any insight or if anyone has these same emotions. Obviously I am diagnosed given that was the first thing I stated.

^yes, depending on your diagnoses and specific needs you could be prescribed anything psychiatrists prescribe. xanax is typically used to tranquilize minor anxiety. anti-psychotics, ssuch as risperdal, work on major anxiety. risperdal is much more safe than xanax imo.

Benzos can safely be prescribed with antipsychotics. Also, as far as benzos maybe try getting switched to valium or klonopin. The long half-life makes them much safer for many reasons.