• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Biggest drug towns and/or nations in Europe.

PawaPawa

Greenlighter
I am not a seasoned traveller in regards to going 'round the globe or our beautiful continent looking for what's up and available, so my experiences are limited. I do have some though, and I remember much hearsay. So far, this is what I think:

Sweden-No. Very strict drug laws, you can be punished just for having something illegal in your blood system. And urine tests are frequent, people being forced to piss in a cup by cops at night clubs, festivals etc. There's a reggae festival in Uppsala (or used to be) ever year, and everytime an insane amount of people gets hauled to the piggie station, a lot of whom just for having THC in their bloodstream. It's a very taboo subject, drugs. Ironically, the nation has had a huge amphetamine scene since the early 60's (starting with legal diet pills containing that very same substance), and a LOT of young Swedish men I've met thru the years have been very interested in drugs, albeit in a pretty naive way. Lots of tourists from that country coming to Copenhagen, blazing it up at Christiania (our hippie freetown in the middle of the city).

Norway-I hear they have a huge heroin problem there. Funny how rich and functioning nations seem to develop hard drugs problem, like Switzerland also. Afghan dope I hear is big, and yes there's an open air market where benzos, dope, done etc are also sold. Rumours of Krokodil, but I read this in a major newspaper so I'm skeptic.

Switzerland-like Norway, I hear they have serious drug problems. Beautiful country though, I have family there and would want to go. Very relaxed weed laws I think, I've heard from family members of even older people blazing up for medical problems. Something about a grey zone also, where it used to be sold in teabags as a "herbal remedy". Also heard they, like Denmark and Holland, give pure heroin to addicts instead of dones and benzos.

Holland-Ok, so we all know about the cheeba. But everything else seems availabe here also, from legal high shops in the 'Dam selling peyotes, salvia etc etc. Shrooms became illegal, so now they're selling psychedelic truffles? I also hear from friends visiting that the 'Dam is rife with scummy street dealers selling all kinds of adulterated crap. Pure diamoprhine given to some addicts instead of done.

Prague-Like with Holland, loads of shady dealers running round the streets. I've been there a bunch of times and it actually became a nusiance. Have friends buying what they thought were dope, got home to the hotel and found a lump of clay inside the silver paper.

Poland- Most of the (bad) speed we get in Denmark come from Poland. Also, they (like the Russians and Ukrainians) have some sort of raw opium poppy brew called kompot or something. Not simply poppy tea the way we do, but still a very raw and primitive product and allegedly deadly to inject.

Russia- Huge druge problem, especially in Moscow. Loads of heroin coming in from Afghanistan, but also other opiates and opioids. The poppy tea boiled down to some sort of weird liquid, sold in green markets by people from a nearby nation (Kurdistan? Kazakhstan? I don't know), and I've even heard of homemade methadone pills.

Denmark- Very big and varied drug scene. Ecstasy, speed, cocaine and of course the aforementioned weed/hash. Not only sold in Christiania, but various clubs round the city. Open air market by the CPH Central station for methadone, heroin, cocaine and speed. A select few addicts are given pure diamorphine by the State, though only the ones that are so far gone that they'll never return to a clean life. People with HIV, homeless, indiviaduals which have been hooked for twenty some years etc. Goverment considering places for addicts to shoot up safely, with medical supervision. Partly to avoid syrings littering the streets and addits having to do their buisness on peoples stairs or openly on the streets etc., which is a very common sight here.

France (Paris)- I hear the smack over there is rare, and of very low quality. However, the nation produces a lot of Subutex/Suboxone, as seen in the movie Reindeerspotting. Hash and weed popular and available in most major cities. Good place to be stranded in if you're on vacation and getting sick with WD's, as the pharmacies carry codeine products OTC which saved my ass. So do we in Denmark, but that's a mixed product which also contain paracetamol so you have to do the CWE thing which is really not worth it, considering the low amount of codeine in each pill.

Germany- Really hard for me to find any drugs whatsoever in Hamburg. Seemed more like a sex town, with Reperbahn being full of brothels, strip joints etc.-kinda like Kings Cross in Oz, or how Istedgade in Copenhagen used to be. But Berlin has just about any drug you can think of. The train station somewhere in Kreuzberg (forgot the name) is a known open air market for smack, dones etc. But like I said, all kinds of drugs in Berlin, man. I have a house musician friend who spends a lot of time there and everytime he goes he does ketamine, and strange analogues of same drug. Speed also seems popular.

UK- Now, I know this country has a big heroin scene. But everytime I read posts from Brits here or in other forums, they all mention that the gear over there is totally low quality. But it seems to be a very big thing over there. Anyone seen Chelsea Love Story? Also a lot of indo weed and hash ("soapbar" is a term used for the crappier variety), and a lot of designer drugs/legal highs. Aforemtioned substances have caused quite a few deaths, though this may have been in combination with other things.

Spain-Very relaxed cannabis laws, I think possession of said plant is alright as long as its for own use or something? A stoner friend of mine also mentioned that having up to four plants is accepted, but I can't back this up. Lots of hash, since it's close to Marocco. Cocaine should also be quite available. I relative of mine used to live in Madrid so I went there often, but didn't get much of a druggie vibe no matter where i went. Perhaps Barcelona has a bigger scene?

Italy- Have no idea, except I hear the cannabis laws here are also relaxed. Never heard much about hard drugs being popular there.

Portugal- Never went there in my adult years, but just about EVERYONE I meet tell me that all manners of drugs are freely available, and that small amounts are tolerated- no matter the drug. HIV rates have gone down due to progressive drug politics, with needle exchange programs etc.

So thats what I can think of right now. Please feel free to correct me, because as I mentioned I am in no way an expert or very travelled, and can only speak for my own country. This list is from what I've read in media/the internet, and from what I've been told by friends gone abroad.

You just have to look for the biggest socially deprived area's to find the biggest drug towns.
They iz correlated innit.

Haha I know, I know...
But again, that's why I mentioned countries like Norway and Switzerland which have the best health care etc. etc.,...hell, this includes Denmark as well, nations that officially seems to be doing really well, with lots of money and free health care and all that but still have loads of problems with drugs. Doesn't even have to be drugs, I mean Denmark (for example) is one of the wealthiest nations here in Europe and often looked at as an exemplary country for humanitarian rights etc., and yet we have the highest suicide rate.

Switzerland like Amsterdam Rotterdam and Maastricht attract foreign heroin addicts as well due to their approach to the drug problem.
This causes the problem there to actually look bigger than it is but yeah any country will have a drug problem no matter how good their health service is or how rich the country is.

Yeah, I recall watching a docu on Ireland and it mentioned the 70's, when smack hit the country and it was like a friggin' epidemic. Around the same time that heroin reached Sweden and Denmark too, I think- before that people were doing morphine sulphate and the like.

I had absolutley no problem sourcing cocaine in Hamburg, it virtually found me. Same in Prauge, relativley good quality stuff easily found a good few years back, along with a very strange but good ecstasy experience.

Sweden-No. Very strict drug laws, you can be punished just for having something illegal in your blood system. And urine tests are frequent, people being forced to piss in a cup by cops at night clubs, festivals etc.
That's well beyond barking mad. Nightmare. Thought Sweden was an open, tolerant country? :(

France (Paris)- I hear the smack over there is rare, and of very low quality. However, the nation produces a lot of Subutex/Suboxone.
Soooo weird, this love affair of le French with downers. Never been, but... from the imagery abitually associated with Paris, I would have thought the drugs of choice to be coke and mephedrone, then ecstasy and weed

Italy- Have no idea, except I hear the cannabis laws here are also relaxed. Never heard much about hard drugs being popular there.

Italy has one of the most severe anti-drug laws I'm afraid. For a start, since 2006, there is no differentiation between soft and hard drugs.
Use of drugs is punished with administrative sanctions e.g. driving licence suspension, which can be avoided only following a lenghty rehab programme which includes regular drug testing, and must be certified successful by a medical team.
Possession of any amount beyond the 'personal use' threshold is considered dealing and can be punished with 1 to 20 years in jail.
An example of what are considered personal use quantities: 1/2 a gram (yes, 500 mg) of weed or hash, 750 mg of cocaine, 750 mg of MDMA, 500 mg of amphetamine, 150 mcg of LSD.

Last edited:
Safrolette: Sweden actually is very open and tolerant, but it also a society with a lot of weird taboo's which I was totally unaware of until I came there to study. As a Dane I'm pretty free-spoken and relaxed with discussing just about anything, so that made for some very awkward situations. And yeah drugs have always been a major taboo. Put it like this, the Swedish way is to work hard and effective throughout the week, and then when friday comes it's time to drink yourself into oblivion. Swedes are hard partiers, but booze is the only accepted drug, and they do drink hard. Of course there's drugs, but depends on where. South Sweden (Malmö especially) has a lot of cannabis because it's only a 20 min. train ride from Copenhagen. But you have to be VERY discreet because it's so unaccepted. Drugs aren't even talked about, and I suppose that's why the users over there (many of them. anyway) go at it so sucidally/naively. Treated like a child and you act like one, ya know.

Oh, and you're on to something there, with France and downers. Isn't that nation the biggest consumer in Europe with benzo's and the like? When I was in France, I had NEVER seen so many pharmacies, litterally one in every corner.

This also makes me think of Spain again, how there was a lot of talk about how you could get benzo's, codeine and tramadol without a prescription, depending on the pharmacy and the pharmacist. Sadly, I think those days are gone. I have tried with no luck, and so have many other visitors to that country lately. A funny little sidenote is that once the amphetamine tablets became illegal in Denmark and Sweden (in the late 60's), they were all imported/smuggled from Spain that kept on producing 'em. They were called Spanish Holiday Pills in slang, or something like that.

Wow, never knew Italy was so harsh. Wow. Any reason why? I thought that country was pretty laid back with most things, though I could be wrong.

Wow, never knew Italy was so harsh. Wow. Any reason why? I thought that country was pretty laid back with most things, though I could be wrong.

I don't want to offend the heartfelt and sincere religious people between us, but... Italy is very Catholic country and home of the Pope. Furthermore, the right is very strong, the Fascism party might not exist anymore but Fascism and extreme-right is still very much loved. Hence the hypocrisy, which is sickening... if you or me were caught with a gram of mandy or coke we'd be in serious trouble. A few of the girls who used to attend at the infamous entertainment evenings organised by that mature, extremely rich, powerful, fun-loving former prime minister (who must not be named, to avoid his name coming up on Bluelight on Google searches), allegedly reported that coke and weed were freely available at his parties. Several MPs are well known in certain circles, and a few years ago a cocaine dealer was CCTVed delivering stuff to the Parliament. Just awful.
Weird that you feel that Italy is laid back. On the surface, maybe. As every place, it has a good and a bad side. If you use drugs, no matter what, you are just a druggie, doesn't matter if you are a family man, a mother, a professional, a student, a human being. People can be very narrow-minded and afraid of the unknowns, politicians have always tried to appeal that conservative section of the population.

But Italy has a lot of history with heroin doesn't it? A lot of the older generation have seen the harm it can do.

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/history/e1950/italyheroincenter.html

I was told in the 70s and 80s addiction was rife and small rural communities were struggling hard with it a bit like South Wales is now.

I got a lot of support from Catholic Italians so i can only say good things about the majority i met.

But Italy has a lot of history with heroin doesn't it? A lot of the older generation have seen the harm it can do. I was told in the 70s and 80s addiction was rife and small rural communities were struggling hard with it a bit like South Wales is now.
In certain areas, yes, but not everywhere. Maybe that's one of the reasons why, in the eyes of most people, drug use defines the individual: either you are a junkie, or you are totally straight (drugswise).
By the way, heroin flooded the post '68 left-wing artistic and intellectual in the '70s, with dreadful results.

I got a lot of support from Catholic Italians so i can only say good things about the majority i met.
Sure, it's not fair to generalize. But were you already using drugs, and did they know?

...and another thing...severe drugs laws = a) billions in revenue for the Italian Mafia b) endless stream of revenue for lawyers
c) job security for barristers and magistrates d) plenty of soft targets for the Police forces
etc...etc...

(I bet PawaPawa wishes he didn't get me started on this now...)

Laos and Cambodia, lots of freely available opium, weed and mushrooms and no one really gives a shit if you take it. If you did get busted by the cops $100 would probably get you off.

Holland-Ok, so we all know about the cheeba. But everything else seems availabe here also, from legal high shops in the 'Dam selling peyotes, salvia etc etc. Shrooms became illegal, so now they're selling psychedelic truffles? I also hear from friends visiting that the 'Dam is rife with scummy street dealers selling all kinds of adulterated crap. Pure diamoprhine given to some addicts instead of done.

France (Paris)- I hear the smack over there is rare, and of very low quality. However, the nation produces a lot of Subutex/Suboxone, as seen in the movie Reindeerspotting. Hash and weed popular and available in most major cities. Good place to be stranded in if you're on vacation and getting sick with WD's, as the pharmacies carry codeine products OTC which saved my ass. So do we in Denmark, but that's a mixed product which also contain paracetamol so you have to do the CWE thing which is really not worth it, considering the low amount of codeine in each pill.

Spain-Very relaxed cannabis laws, I think possession of said plant is alright as long as its for own use or something? A stoner friend of mine also mentioned that having up to four plants is accepted, but I can't back this up. Lots of hash, since it's close to Marocco. Cocaine should also be quite available. I relative of mine used to live in Madrid so I went there often, but didn't get much of a druggie vibe no matter where i went. Perhaps Barcelona has a bigger scene?

For Holland it can be mentioned, that to my suprise, DXM is no longer available otc in druggist.
It is available non prescription at pharmacies but requires a thorough check due to interactions with other meds.
So I wonder if it is possible to get an effective dose in one time for someone registered there, let alone a foreigner.
Max I could get was 300 mg extended release, which was ok as i use it where it meant for "cough".
But can't help wondering what if I would have asked 3 or went to another pharmacy?

The psychedelic truffles are the same as the now forbidden Psilocybine only much more palatable.
Only difference is that sclerotia are technically not mushrooms and were not included in the ban specifically, and slipped through thank god.

There were rumours still unconfirmed Carisoprodol/ Soma is otc in spain, or easy to get?

In france besides Codeine there are Dihydrocodeine pills only otc, wish I only new when I was in Paris.
Where I could not get any benzo in Paris without prescription even after showing my Dutch empty box and complaining about sleep problems (which were real!)

Turkey has sharpened there control on pharmacy's, it was impossible to find or get something otc/ utc like benzo's or codeine only.
SSRI's and antihistamines no problem and otc.

^ Pharmacies in Paris are a bit of a pain in the ass though, I mean for each one that will sell you codeine there are twelve others where they tell you they don't have any(probably a lie) and look at you like you're some sort of monster. Had better luck once I was wearing shirt and a tie and looked more presentable, they still looked bad at me though.

Last summer I went in to buy melatonin and the lady told me in was prescription only and looked at like I'd asked for ketamine.

In Nice they usually care a lot less, probably because the place is like smackie-central and they're used to it, I mean I haven't been there in quite a few years I don't know if it has changed, last time I was there there were people shooting on doorstep and park benches and the place was covered in dog shit and used needles.

I have never failed to obtain Heroin & Crack/Cocaine anywhere i've been in Europe & i've been a few places . Oh & also i have a knack for getting otc Benzos.

Cornwall.

A cornucopia of exotic substances which contains everything a wanton druggist could ever need.

Hallucinogenic fish. Magical mushrooms and illegal cannabis are all within reach, out amongst the tropical climbs of this bounty-full oasis of drugs and drug paraphernalia.

OP
Really hard for me to find any drugs whatsoever in Hamburg

Fuk are you blind deaf or both ?;)

It's right next to the fukin Central station OPen air Market can't miss the fuker

I'd say finding drugs in European cities is extremely easy compared with a lot of other places, never usually had a problem myself. It's also less risky, I mean they have open air areas in the US too but the chances of getting robbed or nicked feel much higher.

When I first moved to London I was still a proper toker, couldn't go a day without, I also still had dreadlocks, went down to Brixton on my first morning, barely managed to come out of the tube station there were two blokes trying to sell me weed, didn't buy from them though as there was CCTV. Ended up buying two minutes later in front of a barber shop, top lad, good weed too. Luckily I made contacts the same night in halls.