Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Big and Dandy Salvia Scraps

Status
Not open for further replies.
just expect the impossible
if you have too much expect to remember nothing
if you have too little expect to remain snarky
if you hit the sweetspot expect to be/meet someone you have missed.

virgin said:
Hi guys. I was forwarded here from the new members thread because I had some questions about Salvia. I was told to read a few of the trip reports.

I've read a few trip reports as suggested. But, I'll be honest most just don't make sense. They seem full of wild baseless statements and glaring contradictions. Here's a few quotes from one of the more ridiculous ones.

If I do try Salvia will I really be able to see the ultimate truth about the universe. Because that really would be a huge break through in man's understanding, and I'm not sure I could cope with the responsibly of ultimate knowledge and the downfall of established belief systems even if such knowledge would inevitably end every religious conflict. The writer then goes on.....

Either the writer is the most brilliant mind on the planet and already knows the ultimate truth about the universe in complete clarity and thus does not find it insightful. Or they have a fucking huge ego. Which begs the question.

If the trip lasted long enough for that writers ego to roll by, should I expect a really long trip? How long? Months I would guess, if the above is to be taken at face value.

The writer also mentions in regard to a disagreement with someone.

Laugh! I pissed myself. But seriously, I try to live with understanding and tolerance. When I do disagree with someone I make sure it's justified so I don't humiliate myself by having to back down. If I trip on Salvia am I obliged to act on the 'Salvia people's' scorn?
Will they scorn me when I've finished tripping. I really don't like the idea of being bugged by 'spirits' telling me my own mind. Sounds kind of schizophrenic to me.

Sorry to be pedantic. But I'm sure you'll agree that if I'm going to take advise regarding the serious business of trying a new mind altering substance, I should be fully informed.

While its good that you want to research a chemical before you ingest it, you are going a bit far here Virgin. The trip, as stated by multiple sources, lasts less than 15 minutes. Every experience is different. You could make contact with Lady Salvia such as I have, or merge with your couch and feel like you are never going to return from the trip (until the trip ends shortly thereafter). One thing that was a constant for me was the feeling of peace and understanding. Sort of like a glorified marijuana high.

any other questions?

Laugh if you will. Have you ever tripped on anything before? Do you believe that tripping can reveal things to you that you cannot normally perceive?

If you've never tripped on anything, then I definitely don't recommend starting with salvia. Not at all.

If you don't believe tripping can actually alter your perception in a real way (as opposed to "fooling" you into believing it), then perhaps that's exactly what you'll find. Either that, or you'll realize you were being egocentric (which is hard not to be if you've never left your ego).

ally?

Salvia is at best a novelty, and "Spiritually" speaking / as a "spirit-ally" she is somewhat of a nuisance.

Xorkoth said:
Laugh if you will. Have you ever tripped on anything before?
Yes.

Xorkoth said:
Do you believe that tripping can reveal things to you that you cannot normally perceive?
No, not in the sense stated in the trip report I quoted. But what I belive is not important, especially if you're simply going to put the blame on the state of mind going into the trip. While offering no defence of proclaimed altered perception during.

If you don't believe tripping can actually alter your perception in a real way (as opposed to "fooling" you into believing it), then perhaps that's exactly what you'll find. Either that, or you'll realize you were being egocentric (which is hard not to be if you've never left your ego).
Didn't see the ultimate truth about the universe with complete clarity?
Well, that's your fault mate, you didn't belive.

Sounds like bollocks. Wouldn't you agree?

virgin said:
Yes.

No, not in the sense stated in the trip report I quoted. But what I belive is not important, especially if you're simply going to put the blame on the state of mind going into the trip. While offering no defence of proclaimed altered perception during.

Not really sure what you are getting at here...

Whats the point of using psychedelics if you dont believe that they are going to allow you to observe things that you normally couldn't.... or at least teach you something about yourself?

virgin said:
Yes.

No, not in the sense stated in the trip report I quoted ... especially if you're simply going to put the blame on the state of mind going into the trip. While offering no defence of proclaimed altered perception during.

Set (state of mind) and setting are well-known to be the most important factors in the outcome of a trip. of course I would blame the state of mind you were in. The state of mind you're in affects the perception of everything that you do.

But what I belive is not important

Sounds like bollocks. Wouldn't you agree?

Thus proving my point. You don't believe that anything you experience under the effects of psychedelics is real, so there's no use trying to convince you of it. Just try it and see what you think then. If anything has the ability to blast you out of your belief, it's salvia. But just be aware that if you expect nothing profiunds to happen, it's less likely to happen. The receive the full benefit of a psychedelic experience you have to work with it and use it as a tool to help you expand your view. If you're sitting there scoffing at this "unreal display of color", you're unlikely to be putting in the necessary work to allow yourself to let go of your ego.

But trust me, ego death is possible, and in fact very likely with salvia. Once you've been removed from your ego once, it's hard to go back to your old view of the world. It's like taking a step back to see that your whole life you were living with blinders on, and then they were finally removed.

I think a strong salvia trip might be exactly what you need. It's so strong and so sudden that your ego's defenses are unable to stop it, and it blasts through it completely.

Xorkoth said:
Thus proving my point. You don't believe that anything you experience under the effects of psychedelics is real, so there's no use trying to convince you of it. But just be aware that if you expect nothing profiunds to happen, it's less likely to happen. The receive the full benefit of a psychedelic experience you have to work with it and use it as a tool to help you expand your view. If you're sitting there scoffing at this "unreal display of color", you're unlikely to be putting in the necessary work to allow yourself to let go of your ego.
How does this prove your point? It could be aurgued that your point equally proves that if one enters the trip with preconceptions, such as you hold that is what they will experience. It' s a question of cause and effect. By the way I didn't state the effects were not real. I'm aware of the physical effect psychedelics have on the correct functioning of the brain. I said
No, not in the sense stated in the trip report I quoted

Xorkoth said:
But trust me, ego death is possible, and in fact very likely with salvia. Once you've been removed from your ego once, it's hard to go back to your old view of the world. It's like taking a step back to see that your whole life you were living with blinders on, and then they were finally removed.
I asked for advice, was then advised to read some trip reports and now after a couple of awkward questions, I'm to just go on trust. If my trust in your opinion is all I'm going to get, I may as well use my COMMON SENSE.
Which brings me back to my original point. Aren't trip reports, especially of the type I quoted, nothing more than vain pointess diatribe. And ultimately counter to advice. For example
ThePrince said:
I've been asking myself ever since my first Salvia experience. I've always felt that I've never quite left my ego behind, and that it is constantly doubting the experience while it's happening.
ThePrince is expecting an effect (possibly 'the ultimate truth about the universe') and rather than use his/her common sense, is instead questioning the cause. Again, thus entering the trip with preconception, which although they mirror yours are nonetheless, NOT his.

^^^Thats all good my friend, but it doesn't make much difference what you are thinking or feeling before you smoke salvia, the nature of this substance is to wrench you completely free of yourself. There is no room for hyper-logical thinking, only feeling and experiencing.

I used to scoff at psychedelic babble before I took salvia, now I spout it. Then one encounters the problem of trying to communicate the ineffable.

Try it and see. If you've tyripped before, you are in no better position to take salvia then anyone, no past experience (besides salvia trips) can help or prepare you.

Salvia gave me the most amaxing feelings I have ever experienced.

You're overthinking this, virgin. You came on here asking for advice and opinions, which we've given you. Either trip or don't. Despite how trite it sounds, you simply will be unable to conceive of salvia until you try it. So try it, and then see if you still have anything to argue about. As willow stated above, it's impossible to describe the ineffable, hence the seemingly contradictory quotes you keep quoting. The experience doesn't lend itself well to language, so when multiple people try to describe it, you're going to end up with some babble.

Logic doesn't always apply when you've stripped down reality. You've got to learn to let go.

Last edited:
At this point, I'd bet against virgin actually breaking through if he did infact try Salvia.

I know I couldn't explain my multiple experiences with it. The only thing I can positively say, is that I get very very sweaty when ever I were to take it. Other than that, I become weird objects like a rollercoaster, or a box of fries. lol salvia is messed up

Salvia is pretty much a straigh-up dose of uncut indescribability. You can tell by how irrational everyones attempts to describe it are.

Growfh said:
Salvia is pretty much a straigh-up dose of uncut indescribability. You can tell by how irrational everyones attempts to describe it are.

thats the beauty of it all %)

Xorkoth said:
You're overthinking this, virgin. You came on here asking for advice and opinions, which we've given you. Either trip or don't. Despite how trite it sounds, you simply will be unable to conceive of salvia until you try it. So try it, and then see if you still have anything to argue about. As willow stated above, it's impossible to describe the ineffable, hence the seemingly contradictory quotes you keep quoting. The experience doesn't lend itself well to language, so when multiple people try to describe it, you're going to end up with some babble.

Logic doesn't always apply when you've stripped down reality. You've got to learn to let go.

I'm not overthinking at all. I'm fishing. My intended catch refuses to bite, and I have no desire to waste any more of your time. It seems to me Common sense is as abundant here as it is in general life. I'm sure you guys are able to filter the more hyperbolic claims. I stand by the points I've made. But I do understand this is not the forum for such topics. So, enjoy what you do, and do what you enjoy.

dude you're totally overthinking it. Salvia is meant to be smoked, not talked about.

Tto call those fantasy trip reports "vain, useless, diatribe" is a silly way to reveal your own character. Those trip reports are people attempting to describe the indescribable. Hence they are sort of a blank slate, a linguistic construction meaning nothing and symbolizing everything (to the author). The reader projects his own meanings onto them ;)

Last edited:
Growfh said:
dude you're totally overthinking it. Salvia is meant to be smoked, not talked about.

Tto call those fantasy trip reports "vain, useless, diatribe" is a silly way to reveal your own character. Those trip reports are people attempting to describe the indescribable. Hence they are sort of a blank slate, a linguistic construction meaning nothing and symbolizing everything (to the author). The reader projects his own meanings onto them ;)

absolutely brilliantly said.

Those trip reports are people attempting to describe the indescribable.
That was my point.

Hence they are sort of a blank slate, a linguistic construction meaning nothing and symbolizing everything (to the author).
Evidently.

The reader projects his own meanings onto them
Which is what I did. I read the example given as contradictory (metaphorically, literally and factually) pointless, ridiculous, vain and just plain stupid.

If mexican seafood thinks you've made a brilliant point. Maybe Morninggloryseed is right about you lot having little common sense.

Dude, just smoke salvia and see for yourself. It does no one any good to make fun of peoples' interpretations of the experience. I don't get why you came on here asking for advice about the salvia experience and subsequently attacked everyone's opinions about it. It was like you came here looking for an argument.

Well, neither side can win this one, because you're seemingly convinced that the experience holds no deeper meaning and must follow ordinary logic to be valid. We're saying that logic does not apply necessarily to the realm of salvia. Of course this doesn't seem to make sense, but why don't you try it, and you'll see what we're talking about.

Just because you don't understand something doesn't make it stupid, nor does disagreeing with your baseless beliefs make us lacking in common sense. Get the fuck over yourself, and maybe take a few words of wisdom away from some people who actually know what they're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.