• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Bhang - cannabis milk drink

DrGreenthumb

Bluelighter
A few people have asked what the best/easiest way to make a cannabis edible is, in my opinion this is it unless you have hash (which can be melted in oil/butter/fat & mixed in a yoghurt).

This is not a totally traditional Indian recipe, but my own westernised version. It's easy to make, can use up stuff that isn't worth smoking or vaping & it can be very effective. As with other edibles it can be hard to judge doses & the high can last much longer than smoking or vaping, so make sure you have nothing important to do for the rest of the day.

Ingredients:

Cannabis (doesn't need to be the best, leaves, vaped bud, twigs, can all help)
Milk (full fat, 3.5% fat or higher)

Optional extra ingredients:

Spices (cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, coriander seed, nutmeg, vanilla) - be creative, don't need to use all these & it's not an exhaustive list. I prefer to use whole spices that can easily be strained out later.
Sugar
Honey
Alcohol (rum, vodka, brandy, etc)
Cream
Cocoa powder

Method:

Put your cannabis, sugar & spices in a saucepan, cover it with milk (and cream, alcohol if you're using it - add these first before the milk). Stir well. You can leave it for a while before heating to try to get more extracted, if you have time.
Heat it up, use a low to medium heat. Stir as you're heating it.
Allow it to boil, but be careful, boiling milk will froth up, if you stir it that will prevent it boiling. When it has boiled turn the heat down a little until it stops boiling.
You can keep heating it for 10-15 minutes if you keep stirring it, this might allow a better extraction & help to decarboxylate any fresh weed you're using.

There's an extra step if you want to make hot chocolate - mix cocoa powder, sugar & cold milk in a cup until it forms a smooth paste.

Strain your bhang mix through a sieve & into cups to serve. Try to press out any milk that has soaked into the cannabis & spice mix with the back of a spoon. You can wash out some of the trapped milk/cannabinoids in the sieve with cold milk to make a weaker drink.

A double boiler would be less likely to burn milk. Also while alcohol can pull more alkaloids the milk already has more than enough fat... One could melt in chocolate as it will hold some cannabis and make chocolate stoner milk.

Thanks for the tek write up as well.

It's very hard to burn milk without trying to do that. It'd bubble up & overflow the pan before it burned. Alcohol is optional, I rarely use it. The optional stuff is mainly just to improve the taste, all you need is cannabis & milk. Cannabinoids are not alkaloids. Chocolate could burn easily without using a double boiler. You can add the hot milk to a cocoa/milk paste & make hot chocolate.

Last edited:
You know more than me, but the milk should act as a heat buffer if you don't add in too much.

One thing I've done before is also use either a blender or mortar and pestle to help break down the weed into the milk. Works best with hot but not boiled milk.

You can work out pretty well how much each dose is. At the moment I use less than 0.5g per 30ml shot.
The other thing you can do is store it in an ice cube tray. It lasts for quite a while but the taste is not optimal if you leave it for too long.

Thank you as I love the oral ROA of cannabis. It's my second favorite way of consumption.

But I see you mention Decarboxylation. Would you think it may be more effective to decarb before you start the process and not hope that it does during the heating process?

Just a thought...I know the THCA in cananbis must be heated to become THC so that it's solubility in fats is at it's optimum efficiency..

Oh and can you provide a little dosage information?

Last edited:
Always wanted to try this. I usually do something similar when I make chai tea.

Here is a funny clip of anthony bourdain trying Bhang Lassi on his trip to india.

The comments in the video make me drool

i live near Punjab & Himachal Border , here we have lots of bhaang ( Cannabis ) or Marijuana . even on my home gate , we have plants that leaning on our door step . we pay to clean that , becoz they growing their own ,

imam sure if Other countries people cross my area they will jump out of cars . lol .

I have Indian friends but they don't drink bhang and I'm sure they know about it but it's not something I'd really ask them about since none of them are into drugs.

They do drink other Lassi drinks but they don't contain any cannabis one has Kefir or cultured buttermilk, and mango juice or mango pulp in it which is good.

I've had Afghan Lassi drinks and those also taste good, there's one that they make where they put cucumber and salt in it but I usually get a fruit based one.

Last edited:

Work out how many grams went in and how much liquid you are left with and aim for 0.5g per dose. Don't redose for at least an hour or so the first time you use it until you are familiar with the effects.
A typical batch would be 7g into 500ml of milk and dose with a 30ml shot glass. You get around 14 doses and can store some in an ice cube tray for another day.

I make mine a bit weaker these days and usually have one ice cubes worth. Not sure how many mls that is but no doubt I'm using less than 0.5g. I'm pretty sensitive to weed though so regular tokers could tolerate it at higher levels.

Thank you as I love the oral ROA of cannabis. It's my second favorite way of consumption.

But I see you mention Decarboxylation. Would you think it may be more effective to decarb before you start the process and not hope that it does during the heating process?

Just a thought...I know the THCA in cananbis must be heated to become THC so that it's solubility in fats is at it's optimum efficiency..

I never bother with decarboxylating it first, I use dried weed & it gets heated when I make it. As far as I know in India it's usually made cold & still works. THCA starts to turn into THC as soon as the plant starts to dry. Most of the weed I'm using has already been through my vaporiser, so there's not going to be any THCA left in that, but I do add some twigs, leaves & a little unvaped bud too. THCA seems to have some benefits too, weed isn't all about THC, it's a combined effect. If you heat it too much then you risk turning your THC into CBN or vaping it off. The milk should prevent your weed getting too hot. You can always heat it for longer in the milk, if you have the patience to keep stirring it & stopping it from boiling over, but it's not necessary to heat it for a long time, it works fine with 5-10 minutes heating & stirring.

I've noticed the high from vaping is much speedier, more psychedelic & more anxious than it was when I was smoking. I guess there's a higher proportion of THC in the vapour & there are some more calming cannabinoids left in the vaped bud. Boiling it in milk & drinking it seems to provide that calming effect.

Dosage will vary depending on the strength of your weed, your own tolerance & how high you want to get. I'd say use as much weed as you'd usually smoke in a session. I left all the amounts out of the recipe as they'll depend on your taste, you can vary it however you want, it's hard to get it wrong. When I was making it with fresh indoor grown bud (est 15-25% thc) I'd usually use between 0.5g & 1g per serving depending on how stoned I wanted to get, sometimes a bit more, but I've been a daily smoker for 20 years & I'd have no problem smoking that in an hour.

Milk & yoghurt seem to aid absorption so it can hit harder & faster than other edibles.

Last edited:
Correct me if i'm wrong but I see you mention that the milk gives a more calming effect than that of a THC buzz. In edibles I seek the THC's euphoric, psychedelic waves and rather not lose my THC. I know AVB's effects are very calming and anxiolytic. I do not like re-using AVB unless Im extra desperate. I throw it out after each bowl.

I figure decarbin' and then putting it in milk may produce some strong effects. I may give it a try sometime this month and see how it goes...

A friend of mine used to do this after harvest, using the small leaves close to the buds.

He used to boil the leaves in water twice, before heating in milk. I guess this made the taste better. It probably also helped with the decarboxylation. Probably also increased the conversion of THC into CBN.

His milk was very potent. Just a small volume (approx. same volume as a shot of vodka) used to get us very stoned for a pretty long time (maybe approx. 5-6h), with after effects (cannabis hangover) the whole next day. I remember once, the high was extremely sedating. We were both lying on my friend's bed, unable to speak (a friend came to see us and he left 15 minutes later when he saw the state in which we were, lol). Could be caused by a high concentration of CBN, as they state here. I would have to do further reading.

Last edited:
Correct me if i'm wrong but I see you mention that the milk gives a more calming effect than that of a THC buzz. In edibles I seek the THC's euphoric, psychedelic waves and rather not lose my THC. I know AVB's effects are very calming and anxiolytic. I do not like re-using AVB unless Im extra desperate. I throw it out after each bowl.

I figure decarbin' and then putting it in milk may produce some strong effects. I may give it a try sometime this month and see how it goes...

I said AVB gives a more calming effect, compared to the high when vaping the bud. I never vape at above 400F & I use high THC bud to vape, so sometimes it can get a bit too anxious if I'm just vaping & there's still some cannabinoids left in my AVB when I'm done.

I said milk helps it absorb better so it can affect you faster. Use normal unvaped bud if you want it high THC & don't cook it for too long or you risk getting more THC degrading to the more sedative CBN. Dried cured bud shouldn't need decarbing first.

Last edited:
Dried cured bud shouldn't need decarbing first.

It really doesn't.
I've done it with undried weed straight off the plant using the traditional method (check erowid or flavours of India for the recipe) with devastating effects. Not cost efficient but it really is effective if you have an ounce of fresh bud at your disposal. Very very trippy high for way way too long

Also orally consumed weed is converted into a slightly different chemical than smoked or vaped weed. I will find the reference in a minute.

Last edited:
'

I'm guessing AVB is what's left in your vape when you've finished?
I should probably give this a go

Dried cured bud shouldn't need decarbing first.
This is a myth.

It really doesn't.
I've done it with undried weed straight off the plant using the traditional method (check erowid or flavours of India for the recipe) with devastating effects.

Erowid and Flavours of India AND this recipe in this thread all are using heat for this process. Heat has been the only reliable method for decarb. So, just because you aren't purposely decarbing, doesn't mean that you aren't decarbing!

Not cost efficient but it really is effective if you have an ounce of fresh bud at your disposal. Very very trippy high for way way too long
I hate to break it to you, but you don't need 1 oz of weed to make INSANELY strong Bhang.

wether or not decarboxylating... solubility of solids increases with higher temperature of solvent... proven fact ;)

bro, i've made ebibles for years and only recently discovered decarbin' n lemme tell you... the edibles highs are FAR stronger than anything i've ever felt in my noob days.

Im talking we put a half oz of absolutely gross shitty weed that's brown and produces very little buzz into 12 cupcakes and a round cake.

I ate 2 cupcakes and a slice of cake and WHAM. peaked within the 3rd hour with WAVES of immense euphoria that had this fucking smile on my face. Very similar tot hat devious hedonistic smile from a Hydrocodone buzz. UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh just thinking about it makes me wanna make moreeeeee.

I'm gonna make the milk this weekend and decarb first and i'll tell you guys how it goes.