Best "Opiate" Songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anWmfN-dODs

For some reason, I can't get the video to load. Anyway, the link is to Jane's Addiction's "Jane Says." The story is funnier. I see everyone posting their stories about so in so died from this or that because a friend told me this or that. I used to be that person. I used to be the person who was such a star fucker you could get directions to a star's house from my sister's ass. Anyway, this one day, I was telling the story of how the above song "Jane Says" was written, and I had become so arrogant and foolish. I don't know what made me think I was as knowledgeable about the meaning of the song as one of the songwriters as ONE OF THE SONGWRITERS but YEA, I went there! What an idiot I was! Furthermore, I didn't use drugs at the time, and I wouldn't for another 25 years, bwahahaha! That's me laughing at myself. We were all sitting in a group at the beach, he corrected me about what the lyrics meant, I had the audacity to correct him, he very sweetly corrected me again. At that time, I let it go. Thank God I did. The line he corrected me on, hence the giant story was, "she takes a swing but she can't hit." Well, I am now a user and know that it obviously means she can't find a vein, but at the time I thought it meant she's too stoned to find her man to hit him. What an idiot. But word to the wise out there, unless you are talking to one of the songwriters, don't insist that your version is the correct one.

'Mr Brownstone' by Guns 'n' Roses.
I was sure that this being such an obvious one that a ton of people would have already posted it, but yea. I saw them at the Coliseum, along with thousands of other people, the night that Axle freaked out on Steven Adler. Why he freaked on Adler and not Slash and Izzy when they wrote the song is beyond me.

Ok, also, someone posted Jonny Thunders! YES YES! Anything by him, pretty much!

And another way obvious one, but very ballsy lyrics...Heroin by Velvet Underground. I love the lyric, "I feel like such a man, when I put a spike into my vein."

I didn't see this one, but I scrolled through it pretty fast, David Bowie, Ashes to Ashes...the lyric
"Time and again I tell myself
I'll stay clean tonight
But the little green wheels are following me
Oh no, not again
I'm stuck with a valuable friend
"I'm happy, hope you're happy too"
One flash of light but no smoking pistol"

Another very obvious one that I didn't see when I scrolled through Depeche Mode Best Friend (Depressed Mode)
"I'm taking a ride
With my best friend
I hope he never lets me down again
Promises me I'm safe as houses
As long as I remember who's wearing the trousers
I hope he never lets me down again"

As long as I remember who's wearing the trousers always struck me, because today I'm trying very hard to stay away from the bottle that will leave me out. The bottle that will keep me from going into rehab again just to get some suboxone.

Last edited:
You are awesome! Love listening to DM when high.

I just posted this one as well, I am not a DM fan, but this is definitely one of my all time fave opiate songs. Not only that, it could land in my top 50 songs of all time, and I am a GIANT music fan. I mean, it rules my world.

"she takes a swing but she can't hit." Well, I am now a user and know that it obviously means she can't find a vein, but at the time I thought it meant she's too stoned to find her man to hit him. What an idiot.
hehe, I have too many memories of ladies with tears in their eyes because they just can't hit ;)

Lol, and the funny thing is that I didn't even understand that reference until about a decade ago. I mean, even after the ridiculous argument I got into with the contributing songwriter, who btw isn't credited on the album but since in a great number of Rolling Stone and other magazine articles, but I just recently GOT WHAT THAT MEANT hahaha! I started using oxy after a series of serious surgeries and became addicted to oxy. Then I started using it in a variety of ways; hence, understanding the reference. But my point is that one doesn't truly embrace an idiom into their own lexicon until necessity...wow that sounded stupid. Ok I'm done. Cheers, and thanks for making me feel included here for the first time!

Currently: Primus, "Jilly's On Smack." Brilliant musicianship, especially that wicked guitar bit in the intro, which keeps repeating throughout the entire song.

^ Classic! :)

I forget about that one - it's easily overlooked - but you're absolutely right.

^^So good, so good, non conformal structure, multiple parts/themes...
...good stuff...
...one of my favourite Lennon vocal performances

Well I posted this in another thread by mistake...but I'll add more as well...

Guns'n'Roses - Mr Brownstone
The Darkness - Givin' Up
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Needle and the Spoon

^^So good, so good, non conformal structure, multiple parts/themes...
...good stuff...
...one of my favourite Lennon vocal performances

i love the doo-wop sound of it too - the chords and backing vocal harmonies

i don't think i've posted this yet.
it's one of those great jagger/richards numbers, but i prefer Townes' rendition better than the Rolling Stones original

Nahh...I have heard it in 'The Big Lebowski'...

Man , this guy's great, where the heck has he been all my life?...