• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

best film soundtracks and scores

onetwothreefour

Bluelight Crew
am i the only one who can't believe this hasn't been done before?

anyway, the BEST: georges delarue's score to le mepris. it keeps coming back to the same refrain (is that the word?) during the film, but it is so poignant. and even when you're just listening to it alone, it's amazing. got it on now. "l'aine des ferchaux" is probably my favourite non-refrain track...so wistful.

other favourites:

amelie: i could listen to it non-stop. it's one of those albums that will just totally pick you up, no matter how bad your day has been. might make you cry too...well, if you're a big girl like me, anyway.

fight club: pounding. dirty. industrial. claustrophobic. perfect.

edward scissorhands: i must say, i'm a total sucker for a good danny elfman score, and i think this is probably his finest.

what do you like?

My favorite movie scores:
--Any of the LOTR movies
--The Right Stuff
--Gladiator
--Star Trek: The Motion Picture
--Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan
--Aliens
--Bounty (Anthony Hopkins / Mel Gibson version)
--Antarctica (Vangelis)
--Mrs. Soffel O., The Life and Times of Harvey Milk, and Never Cry Wolf (all on Mark Isham's "Film Music" album)
--Hero

Soundtracks:
--Ghostbusters
--The Matrix
--Blade I and II
--Forrest Gump

good call on 2001. isn't it just perfect :)

(which reminds me: a clockwork orange. sooooo disturbing!)

off the top of my head...

Scores:

Vangelis - Blade Runner
Williams- Star Wars trilogy
Shore - LOTR trilogy
Williams - E.T.
Glass - Koyaanisqatsi
Martinez - Kafka

I think this was done in the music forum (I only read it a little while ago and was reminded of lots of good stuff from there) but whatever... and by scores I hope you'll accept main theme instead of the entire film score so here goes:

Soundtracks:
I'm a sucker for Tarantino soundtracks, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill all have awesome tunes. Also Natural Born Killers which was done by Trent Reznor is a big favourite.

Pump Up the Volume had shitloads of good tracks on it, the only down point was it didnt include the Leonard Cohen version of Everybody Knows.

From Dusk till Dawn also rules.

Singles, the soundtrack.

Don't have it, but from memory Good Will Hunting had some Elliot Smith which is a good thing

Scores/themes:
The Godfather theme, 2001, Apocalypse Now (Vagner- Ride of the Valkyries especially... also the Doors - The End), The original Crow soundtrack, John Fuckin' Williams : hello Imperial March, all Star Wars themes, Indiana Jones, Jaws, Close Encounters , to name a few; that man was a machine!
Also, Romper Stomper, Matrix Reloaded, O Brother Where Art Thou, Deliverance, The Good The Bad and The Ugly, Donnie Darko, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Fight Club, hell even Clerks Beserka.

I'm sure I'm missing heaps here but this will do for now.

soundtrack: superfly - curtis mayfield
score: rocky - bill conti

there's a similar thread in this forum as well iirc.

I'm such a sucker for movie soundtracks/scores.. It's one of my favorite elements to film making. :)

Scores:
Magnolia, The Godfather, The Royal Tenenbaums, Star Wars, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (I love Jon Brion)

Soundtracks:
The Graduate, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill 1, Deadman;), Wonder Boys, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Magnolia, I Am Sam, Garden State, Forrest Gump, The Sound of Music, The Music Man, Hello, Dolly!, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Fantasia,
The Royal Tenenbaums, Rushmore & The Life Aquatic

i don't like movie scores all that much, when i hear classical music i don't expect the songs to be just as short, or shorter than 3minutes, it drives me nuts.

I haven't been into soundtracks for a while either b/c so many of them are so freaking horrible.. but of the ones i have and like..

Blade 2 soundtrack, Judgement Night, Spawn (all same producer)
Hackers 1 & 2 soundtracks
The Crow
Party Monster
( i wished Donnie Darko had a soundtrack, so i just compiled all the songs in that movie onto a cd)
Pulp Fiction

and great call on Natural Born Killers

The Requiem for a Dream score is absolutely fantastic, i usually find scores boring too.

Also, the Virgin Suicides soundtrack (score?) by Air is very good.

Others (err, some of these might be from shows):
Cabaret
Jesus Christ Superstar
Lost Highway
RHPS
Into The Woods

for me, magnolia. aimiee mann has such a beautiful voice and a way with words.

i also really like the soundtrack to run lola run.

last but not least, dead man - fine, fine neil young.

related reading: Top Soundtracks

alasdair

my favorite soundtracks cos they're all just absolutely perfect:

romeo & juliet

virgin suicides

pulp fiction

the man who cried

1234: you need to go to France.

:)

SLC Punk! has the best sound track ever :)

Adolescents, Ramones, Stooges, DK's, Old school Vandals, Specials, Exploited, Velvet Underground, Fear, Minor Threat.

What more could you want?

^not shitty punk music

good call on fantasia, id have to agree with that.

beauty.jpg

1. 2 Wicky - Hoover
2. Glory Box - Portishead
3. If 6 Was 9 - Axiom Funk
4. Annie Mae - John Lee Hooker
5. Rocket Boy - Liz Phair
6. Superstition - Stevie Wonder
7. My Baby Just Cares For Me - Nina Simone
8. I'll Be Seeing You - Billie Holiday
9. Rhymes Of An Hour - Mazzy Star
10. Alice - Cocteau Twins
11. You Won't Fall - Lori Carson
12. I Need Love - Sam Phillips

The Girl Next Door, though the soundtrack is missing many of the great songs...visit Amazon.com or imdb.com for a complete song list.

swybs