• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Best benzo to have on hand in case of psychedelic trip gone bad

Haldol and other anti psychotics that work in dopamine specifically are a horrid choice. Huge risk of tardive dyatonia (sp?). When the docs decided to inject me with 5 mg haldol bsing I had overdosed on a "psychodelic" drug after I refused consent to drugs, needles, and ativan after they threatened to give me something else if I did not take the ativan when I had curled into fetal requesting time to calm down (non drug treatment) where they came in because I was agitated screaming, which they bsed and said aggressive and threatening safety when I did not make a single threat and instead screaming and crying trying to understand the situation I was forced into without explanation except I was in the hospital because my parents said I was on drugs, hurting myself, and a danger to everyone else , which was a complete over exaggeraton and lie to force me in the hospital where cannabis would be considered a problem hoping I weeks accept it as such only in the end to leave me with a shoulder injury neglected to this day I'm shooting dope when I run out of dilaudid to deal with....

Sorry I got off topic.... The doctor also possibly hit a nerve cluster injecting 5mg of haldol with no prior exposure or history of mental illness even family mental illness. I nearly died due to muscle tension causing respiratory issues. Ever since what feels like a tense sometimes painful knot that's probably the nerve cluster.... Even if I had eaten am oz of mushrooms or sheets of LSD after work as I'm traveling to my families to ask in frustration if I could rely on their support like they promised me my whole life only to break down into yelling and the last thing I would have ever expected. I wish it had gone beret, but it's the past.... I would not wish haldol upon anyone. The risks aren't worth it to kill a trip especially with benzos being a better choice.

Last edited:
I would wish haldol upon anyone.

I agree with you (assuming you meant to write wouldn't, not would)
Haldol without an anti-EPS drug like benztropine is total hell, the akathisia it causes is worse than the worst bad trip ever.
But if taken in conjuction with trihexyphenidyl, benztropine, diphenhydramine, or weed (!) it isn't as bad.
ERs and psyche wards that forcibly inject Haldol into patients without giving them a med to treat its side effects are violating human rights IMO

I dissolved a sugar cube and experienced a euphoric 12 hour trip I felt so much energy and I experienced slight visuals I could see the table melting into the floor that was totally awesome I couldn't fall asleep I felt so alive so I took 2 mg of clonzapan and smoked a phat blunt of some kush I felt so relaxed and open minded I analysed a few things and fell right to sleep

Haldol without an anti-EPS drug like benztropine is total hell, the akathisia it causes is worse than the worst bad trip ever.

Haldol even with benztropine is nasty. They're both nasty in fact :\ but they are super effective chemical straightjackets. I don't know if it's dose related but I sure as shit wouldn't give someone haldol unless they are going to hurt themselves or someone else.

As for the best benzo... I think if the situation calls for one you should stick to something mild if anything, the last thing you need is someone to lose their inhibitions even more. Maybe Ativan?

Not a benzodiazepine, but Seroquel will end this "Trip" quite effectively IMO. 200 mg, you'll be sleeping for 12 hours..

I agree with you (assuming you meant to write wouldn't, not would)
But if taken in conjuction with trihexyphenidyl, benztropine, diphenhydramine, or weed (!) it isn't as bad.
ERs and psyche wards that forcibly inject Haldol into patients without giving them a med to treat its side effects are violating human rights IMO
Thank you for correcting me and acknowledging a violation of human rights.... The fucking medical system hid it away with it and I have had to live with the trauma with no assistance. It's sad how my life is going to waste over bs.

Thank you for it calling out my typo. It's fixed :D

Edit: Seraquel is like an all over anti psychotic. It will force your brain to work a certain way. It forces people onto the same mental path by blocking the majority of them. It will probably kill a trip, but destroy any healing or learning from the experience.

Last edited:
Any fast acting benzo at a dose that doesn't put you at serious risk of blackouts will do. I've probably used either etizolam or xanax after a roll/trip a hundred times, though rarely did I use them with the intent of easing a rough trip. All times I did worked out fine however.

It's probably important to at least give a heads up that taking benzos after empathogens/empathogenic psychedelics seems to lower the blackout threshold, or at least that's been my experience... aMT was particularly bad in this respect. I would tread lightly with dose trying to end any "flip" combos.

Ill also chime in and suggest etizolam. Its calming but its effects aren't as pronounced as other "benzos" so it doesn't deflate the specific characteristics of psychedelics too much. I took 1.5mg etizolam with a low dose (roughly 17mg) 4-aco-met last week and found that most of the uneasiness and bodyload I usually get with metacetin was almost completely absent while still allowing me to have an enjoyable trip.

For sure I would say all of them would help

The quickest would be etilozam in liquid form because it's in liquid form.....as for a classic benzo Ativan taken and letting it melt in your mouth would be the most effective....

I always enjoyed LSD and large quantities of Valium, beer, and kind bud

Any fast acting benzo at a dose that doesn't put you at serious risk of blackouts will do. I've probably used either etizolam or xanax after a roll/trip a hundred times, though rarely did I use them with the intent of easing a rough trip. All times I did worked out fine however.

It's probably important to at least give a heads up that taking benzos after empathogens/empathogenic psychedelics seems to lower the blackout threshold, or at least that's been my experience... aMT was particularly bad in this respect. I would tread lightly with dose trying to end any "flip" combos.

Totally... I took 2mg of etizolam once after I thought my estranged/ex wife drowned or got kidnapped while we were camping with friends at the beach, she got back but I was so shaken up that I couldn't calm down... so I took the etizolam, then like 100mg of MDMA. I blacked out totally until like 5 hours later, I even smoked DMT while blacked out, I don't remember it at all.

I wouldn't bother with flubromazepam, it takes hours to feel ant type of real effect...if any. Stick with etiz!

I've taken 10 mg prazepam (nearly no tolerance) once because of a 12 mg 4-ho-met fumarate trip gone wrong (bad set & setting, someone told me he was coming to my place, it was not planned, I was tripping and didn't want this person to know, I freaked out over my dilated pupils and it ruined the trip. Also during the come-up a big and agressive wasp entered my apartment, I guess it was already there for some time because the window was closed, so it was trapped inside... I'm not scared by insects but I thought about what would happen if I got stung and had to go the pharmacy while tripping, so I ran to the toilets and staid locked in there for like 5 minutes... when I opened the door the wasp was right there and went towards my head, wtf! So I covered my body with all the clothes I could find in the toilets, fortunately my suitcase was in there. Then it was flying around the only window in the room! I eventually opened the window and ran back to the toilets, but then I didn't know if it was outside or stuck somewhere, this made me really stressed...), it completely aborted the visuals, and relaxed me big time. Very effective.

However, maybe I would favour a benzo with a shorter half-life. Desmethyldiazepam, prazepam's metabolite, has a half-life of 36 to 200h! (source: http://www.benzo.org.uk/bzequiv.htm)

Last edited:
Cannabis is a quick way out of a bad trip for me.
I don't even think it's the THC or CBD either.
Just the act of breaking down the weed and vaping/smoking it is relaxing by itself. My brain associates cannabis with peace of mind

WHAT? Thc could even increase the anxiety. Your brain associates cannabis with peace of mind? Maybe in a normal setting, but in a panic attack setting, i strongly doubt that.

Half life has nothing to do with how long you feel the effects.....it has to do with how long it stays in your system so if you are taking scheduled doses it figures on when those times would be

Half life has nothing to do with how long you feel the effects.....it has to do with how long it stays in your system so if you are taking scheduled doses it figures on when those times would be

I just thought that the longer the active molecule stays in your system, the longer you feel the effects. This is why I consider that using a shorter half-life benzo would be more adapted to abort a trip, than using a long half-life benzo, that would be more adapted IMO for longer-term anxiolysis. Diffently said, if I want to abort a trip, I'd prefer to take a benzo that stays less time in my system. Taking a long half-life one would be a kind of overkill (if I'm not searching for anxiolysis the following days), and present a higher risk of interaction the following days (maybe it's negligible tho I don't know). If it's the everyday life anxiolytic effects I'm going after, I'd choose a benzo that stays longer in my system, reducing the necessity to redose.

But I'm no doctor.

These conclusions occured to me because IME I noticed a difference bewteen e.g. clorazepate and alprazolam, at equivalent doses: I still feel the clorazepate (half-life 36 to 200 h) the next day, wether I don't feel the alprazolam anymore the next day (half life 6 to 12 h).

Last edited:

But half-life IS how long it stays in your system. It's the measure of how long it takes your body to break down half of the active chemical. So a longer half-life means it stays in your system longer, and likewise, a short half-life means it stays in your system shorter.

There is a notable exception... LSD's half-life is very short, much shorter than can account for its duration. Not sure why. It's theorized that LSD catalyzes a cascade of neural modifications that continues after it is eliminated from the body. But for something like benzos this is not the case. Or indeed for most other psychedelics.

Klonopin is a terrible choice as it takes a long time to work even though it works long time. Xanax, Etizolam, or ativan are good choices. I am not quite sure about other less common benzos.

Klonopin works in around half an hour for me. I use it to come-down from LSD sometimes, when the trip has worn out its welcome, works really well for that purpose.

For some kind of full blown panic attack freak-out, probably not so useful.