View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Best benzo to have on hand in case of psychedelic trip gone bad

Listening

Bluelighter
From what I understand, different benzos have differing efficacy in their ability to tame a psychedelic's effects. Which benzodiazepines are the best?

Are there any RC benzos that are sufficiently effective for this purpose?

BTW, I've never experienced anything approaching a need for this personally, and I'd sooner change set and setting or just trudge through it. That said, better safe than sorry. I would also be much more comfortable tripping with others if we had such a fallback...

I'd guess etizolam is good... I know when I take it at the end of a trip to sleep it knocks me right down and lets me sleep. Also etizolam has quite a euphoric edge to it unlike most benzos (at least for me I don't get euphoria from any benzo I've tried except etizolam).

I would say Etizolam, Xanax and Pyrazolam or even Flubromazepam/zelam works great for bad trip induced anxiety. Works best sublingually.

Aldol has been prescribed for decades for mental disorders. It works quite effectively by sedation although not so similar to ordinary average benzodiazepines.

when i was in psychiatric hospital doctors had to be wary of patients asking for Haldol because it's a tranq.
It wont get you high but it will stop anxiety and help you sleep through your boredom
many fellow patients were trying to get that stuff because of those reasons

The most useful defence a tripper can have against bad trips is the ability to change the setting. Changing the music, the lighting, the room or just about anything can have a huge influence on the mindset of a person who is tripping and this makes it an invaluable technique.

Consider also that challenging moments in a trip can be an incredible opportunity for the development of one's character and you may come to the conclusion that many others have - that benzos are great but really ought to be a last resort.
You can draw a parallel outside of the context of illegal drug use to those that drink heavily when times get tough. Instead of dealing with the hurdles that life presents they retreat to the bar, and they tend to be very immature as a result.

Anyway, if you have to take a benzodiazepine while tripping, try a mainly anxiolytic one such as Pyrazolam.

Lorazepam and alprazolam are very anxiolytic as well and kick in very quickly as far as benzos go.
Lorazepam is the most common ER and psychiatric hospital go-to for freakouts (in the US). Altho it's usually IMed in those settings. Often along with an antipsychotic but not always

The most useful defence a tripper can have against bad trips is the ability to change the setting. Changing the music, the lighting, the room or just about anything can have a huge influence on the mindset of a person who is tripping and this makes it an invaluable technique.

All of those, plus trusting the people you're with is one too.

MJ for the come down is a good finish.

Cannabis is a quick way out of a bad trip for me.
I don't even think it's the THC or CBD either.
Just the act of breaking down the weed and vaping/smoking it is relaxing by itself. My brain associates cannabis with peace of mind

Xanax works well to clam someone down... Also works well near the end of a trip, to put you in sleep mode...

I avoid benzos during LSD trips because i am really sensitive to the amnesia they cause... and i really really like to remember my trips.
even the bad ones. especially the bad ones, those are the ones i learn the most from.

When I have a benzo on hand for the specific reason of aborting a bad trip. My thoughts are already predisposed to want to fight the trip instead of submit, leading to an uncomfortable psychedelic experience where nine times out of ten I end up ingesting the benzo.
When you endeavor on a psychedelic journey, the entire experience hinges on how you react mentally to the onset of effects - ie it's fight or flight brother, and flying is way better. I completely agree that changing the set and setting is the most useful tool.

For me, diazepam is hands-down the best benzodiazepine for anything. Temazepam is about as good.
I actually find diazepam to be better than Xanax for anxiety because it's a strong muscle relaxant as well as an anxiolytic. A lot of anxiety symptoms are psychosomatic.

when i was in psychiatric hospital doctors had to be wary of patients asking for Haldol because it's a tranq.
It wont get you high but it will stop anxiety and help you sleep through your boredom
many fellow patients were trying to get that stuff because of those reasons

The only problem about this medication is the stiffness it causes to all patients.
It looks as if they start to lose certain body's natural movements, very subtly.

The only problem about this medication is the stiffness it causes to all patients.
It looks as if they start to lose certain body's natural movements, very subtly.

Not sure how much I was given, when I had opiate withdrawal psychosis, they shot me up with haldol, I felt like I had cerebral pulsy. I could barely walk, couldn't talk right, had to be put in a damn chair.
There was nothing subtle about it, that was with them giving me a shot of diphenhydramine.
That shit would wig me the fuck out while dosing.

That is insane Trying2iso, that people would actually request it, when you take it your whole body seizes up and you don't feel high at all. It's all physical.

Seroquel will terminate a bad trip.

Not everyone experiences Extrapyramidal symptoms on Haldol, altho it is quite common. But most of the patients who wanted Haldol were already on benztropine or trihexyphenidyl for EPS for their other meds, so they wouldn't have suffered from it.
@David- if you were in active psychosis and given an IM dose it was probably a large one, acute psychosis is treated with much larger doses than normal therapeutic doses. I was given a very large dose of Geodon IMed when i was in the ER, i took a therapeutic dose a month later and didn't get any of the same EPS that the larger dose gave me.

Oh yeah, and I would never recommend taking antipsychotics if you're not actually in a state of psychosis.

In most users, a bad trip is just a state of extreme anxiety or a panic attack at the worst. Benzos are perfect in these cases.

Oh yeah, and I would never recommend taking antipsychotics if you're not actually in a state of psychosis.

Has worked well for me...
APs are indicated for other things than schizophrenia. Bipolar, for example.

Lorazepam and alprazolam are very anxiolytic as well and kick in very quickly as far as benzos go.
Yeah, as a rule of thumb, if you're having a panic attack, Xanax or Ativan are lifesavers. I'm very wary using them outside of those situations, though, because the horror stories from people abusing them sounds treacherous.

Has worked well for me...
APs are indicated for other things than schizophrenia. Bipolar, for example.
Ever take a high dose of a benzo during a psychedelic freakout? They get rid of the anxiety but they don't completely kill the trip.
I had to do this once (40mg valium during a trainwreck trip on 300mcg LSD). I was still experiencing extremely vivid visual hallucinations hours after the valium had kicked in, but I was totally incapable of giving a fuck about anything.

Ordinarily I would never take more than 20mg Valium. 40mg would turn me into a dribbling mess but the LSD seemed to counteract a lot of the effects (in particular the amnesia and sedation).