• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Best benzo or non-benzo for insomnia??

Maybe I'm simple, but I enjoy klonopin. More so than xanax due to the duration it effects me.

When i was prescribed klonopin it was such a low dosage that I didnt really get to experience the benefits. However, i am no reconsidering klonopin during the day because my ADHD medications sometimes give me negative side effects, sweating, high blood pressure, and sometimes irritability. Any input on that?

Simple: Temazepam is the best benzo for insomnia. Its one of the only hypnotic benzos prescribed in America but its pretty rare for a doctors to prescribe these days.. Just remember you don't get a that good REM deep sleep when you take a benzo to go to sleep.

When i was prescribed klonopin it was such a low dosage that I didnt really get to experience the benefits. However, i am no reconsidering klonopin during the day because my ADHD medications sometimes give me negative side effects, sweating, high blood pressure, and sometimes irritability. Any input on that?
Actually I take my adderall xr along side .5mg of klonopin. The benzo seems to counteract any negative sides from the adderall. Great for public speaking or presentations as well. Very synergistic combo

I also have a beta blocker that also pairs up well with the addy. But you have to be careful with doses of beta blockers and amphetamines.

Simple: Temazepam is the best benzo for insomnia. Its one of the only hypnotic benzos prescribed in America but its pretty rare for a doctors to prescribe these days.. Just remember you don't get a that good REM deep sleep when you take a benzo to go to sleep.

Are there other types of sleep medications that do not interfere with REM deep sleep? I take Temazepam almost every night, sleep good, and wake fine in the morning. But since i take temazepam my REM deep sleep is decreased. Does this have any long term negative effects if my good REM deep sleep is supressed everynight?

Nitrazepam vs. Temazepam vs. Zolpidem.

I'm a serious insomniac and I've tried a little bit of everything I could get my hands on (legally). Z works the best for me, but I've done weird stuff on it ( walking outside with no pants on, locking myself out) so I love how well it works, but not the side freakiness. Recently got temazepam and Nitrazepam from my supplier to try out. Wondering which is better. My Z tolerance needs about 50mg to put me out and lasts for 4 to 5 hours. If I take more too soon I start acting weird so I have to have a break. I'm wondering if I will have better luck with one of the other two drugs, but I don't know which one is best for a sedative since I am specifically looking for something to put me to sleep. Any advice?

Nitrazepam vs. Temazepam vs. Zolpidem.

I'm a serious insomniac and I've tried a little bit of everything I could get my hands on (legally). Z works the best for me, but I've done weird stuff on it ( walking outside with no pants on, locking myself out) so I love how well it works, but not the side freakiness. Recently got temazepam and Nitrazepam from my supplier to try out. Wondering which is better. My Z tolerance needs about 50mg to put me out and lasts for 4 to 5 hours. If I take more too soon I start acting weird so I have to have a break. I'm wondering if I will have better luck with one of the other two drugs, but I don't know which one is best for a sedative since I am specifically looking for something to put me to sleep. Any advice?

try temazepam...what dose is it? IME it was a nice calming drift onto sleep which lasted 8 to 10 hrs....time your intake accordinaly** with zero bullshit the next day
i do CAUTION make sure you're ready to call it a night after you take it....and do keep in mind...it is a benzo
but def rec for a good nights sleep

Last edited:
Try Lunesta. It is similar to Ambien but people have then reported to behave better on Lunesta.
And although it is controlled, it doesn't has the potentially harmful effects like a benzo

Be careful with benzos its a dangerous route.....

in my opinion best ones to induce sleep (not maintain it.) is zolpidem, not a true benzo.
best one to sleep and keep sleeping is estazolam, just my opinion.

Hi,
I've dealt with insomnia for many years. I've been on lots of meds, but seroquel and now klonopin have helped me the most. I had weird experiences with Ambien.

Lunesta? It's eszopiclone. It's the same thing as zopiclones, or imovane. just another way for the us to a put a patent of a generic drug...]

^angeepeeterson, you are misinforming everybody, the z-drugs like lunesta, ambien, and sonata, the are highly alpha 1 selective (which is the most dopaminergic and abusive benzodiazepine subuinit on the GABA A receptor) are the most abusable and addiction and most likely to cause dependence and addiction of the GABA Aergic drugs...

Lunesta is a z drug, similar to ambien, know as nonbenzodiazepines. It is longer lasting. typically between six to 8 hours, and a lot more effective.

i have yet to find a very effective sleep aid that doesnt cause any next day grogginess..surprisingly i can occasionally take seroquel at 50 mgs and not wake up drowsy the next day but other times, my mind feels like a bowl of soup...

Depending on your tolerance to benzos, your stress/anxiety level and severity of insomnia I'd say these two will work best over all: alprazolam (xanax) .25+mg will help you get to sleep quicker and may be ideal if getting to sleep is the issue. Clonazepam (Klonopin-kpin) .5+mg will take longer to set in and it will sweet in more gradually than xanax, the upside is that it has a half life almost twice as long as xanax so if staying asleep is more of an issue I would go with #2. All depends on your type of insomnia and personal sleeping patterns