• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Benzos for Opioid WD

The Problem with Benzos is, they do not mitigate the opiate syndrome as well as other (safer) medication. For pharmaceutical assisted withdrawal I pick clonidine, pregabalin and Loperamid any day. You will be left with boredom and severe fatigue, which you could add a stimulant or kratom throughout the day if you need to function for work.
Also Benzodiazepine tend to weaken my willpower to restrain from using severly. This has become so much a problem that I prefer to sleep a lot less or take much less desirable drugs like doxepine or similar. Unfortunately most of the time I am codependent on Benzos already.

As mentioned if your mindset is dead set on getting clean, be patient, reduce the dosage by 10-20% per week(yes per week), and use this time to get a well structured day and preferably a support group/coucelor/anyone.
Right now I finally do it this way, after several very well tolerated Benzo tapers I gave it a chance on opiates too. Rapid inpatient taper in about 1-2 weeks leave me very disfunctunal for weeks on ends with an extremely high chance for a relapse.
I can't give this method a final evaluation yet as I'm now down to 12,5mg Methadone per day, but it's working flawless for now. Started with 4x200mg i. V. Morphin by end of Dezember, and feeling pretty damn clean by now.
Temazepam is probably the most desirable Benzo you listed, but also very intoxicating, imparing your jugdement and weaken your willpower the most.

Hey ppl just thought i'd update y'all...

I've managed to drop down to 80mg oxy a day and 6g of kratom every 4 hours and im not getting any WDs what so ever! So far so good. I forgot to mention that I'm prescribed 300mg Pregabalin as well which im gonna continue to take as normal. Should I drop the oxy dose to 60mg? I might buy a pack of Temazepam in a few weeks if I feel as if I need them and just take one 10mg jelly at night as needed.

The last time I took a benzo was 6 months ago and I've never had an addiction to them btw.

Last edited:

I've managed to drop down to 80mg oxy a day and 6g of kratom every 4 hours and im not getting any WDs what so ever! So far so good. I forgot to mention that I'm prescribed 300mg Pregabalin as well which im gonna continue to take as normal. Should I drop the oxy dose to 60mg? I might buy a pack of Temazepam in a few weeks if I feel as if I need them and just take one 10mg jelly at night as needed.

The last time I took a benzo was 6 months ago and I've never had an addiction to them btw.

The pregabalin will be helping to take the edge off withdrawals too, it's an excellent comfort med.

If you have no withdrawal at all then yes it's good to cut down to 60mg and see how that goes.

Glad it's going well so far, keep it up :)

Good point Wilson. I have definitely not been giving Cannabis the attention it deserves as of late. I think the past few years of liberalization here in the west has pushed it out of the conversation here in the HR community.

I've smoked my entire life, and it is so ubiquitous in my life, I forget that hot everyone feels the same way. Cannabis has obvious advantages for sleep but I find the appetite stimulating properties yo be amazing when I'm sick.

The "munchies" not only make me more inclined to eat, it also makes it easier for me to hydrate. I have zero urge to eat or drink when Im sick without Cannabis.

Given its effectiveness for these symptoms, it is just criminal that there are folks out there with serious disease who cant access it.

I'm surprised I don't see weed mentioned more, it is honestly very helpful for opiate withdrawals. It's not a magic cure but it makes the process more comfortable and without the addiction potential of benzos or pregabalin etc.

But yeah as everyone has already said, avoid CT if possible anyway, but weed is still nice during a taper to take the edge off.

Evo! I'm glad to hear you're not feeling too bad right now. If I might make a small suggestion, I think you might find it beneficial in the long-run. The hard and fast truth is that there will be some discomfort throughout this process.

If you're not feeling sick at all, i would tend seeing if you can skip some Pregabalin (Lyrica) doses. The goal would be to lower your tolerance/stockpile medication that you will want for when things inevitably become more difficult.

Second only to bud, Gabapentinoids are the absolute most effective treatments for Opioid withdrawal in my opinion. Dont continue to medicate with all of this stuff if you feel completely fine.

Use only what is needed to keep yourself functional. Im not saying you have to or that this is best for you, but it's my opinion that you're probably not going as quickly as or effectively as you could be right now.

Last edited:
Also please be aware that kratom is an opiate. Using it at 24 grams a day is more than enough to cause withdrawals... if you use it for a few days, and stop, you'll be good, but using it for a week or more every day and you will be experience kratom withdrawals upon stopping, which are opiate withdrawals. In many ways not as bad as full agonists, but for me and many others, the RLS is even worse. Kratom gets touted as a harmless comfort med, but it is, plain and simple, an opioid. it is a partial agonist of delta and mu opioid receptors, the same receptors that all opioids hit. For comparison, suboxone is also a partial agonist so don't let the "partial" part make you think it's different.

The reason kratom takes away withdrawals is because it's hitting the same receptors... it is not a cure.

Also please be aware that kratom is an opiate. Using it at 24 grams a day is more than enough to cause withdrawals... if you use it for a few days, and stop, you'll be good, but using it for a week or more every day and you will be experience kratom withdrawals upon stopping, which are opiate withdrawals.

Opioid not opiate but yes absolutely correct. I'd say to OP only use the kratom during the final stages of the taper, when you actually need it because you feel withdrawal coming on. Using it in the early stages is a waste and you are effectively risking a new dependence for no or minimal benefit.

can kratom be recreational or it's only more of a maintenance type of opioid?

Yeah the plan is to completely taper off the Oxy while taking Kratom then start tapering off the Kratom once I'm at 0mg oxy and feeling stable. I'm making the whole process as gradual as possible, and the surplus Oxy I've stockpiled goes in the trash!

Kratom is recreational, if you don't have a big tolerance. Kratom is what got me into opiates, back way before it became well-known. I used to love it, but if you've got a tolerance to full agonists it's not going to do a whole lot except some mood lift and elimination of withdrawals.

Kratom is recreational, if you don't have a big tolerance. Kratom is what got me into opiates, back way before it became well-known. I used to love it, but if you've got a tolerance to full agonists it's not going to do a whole lot except some mood lift and elimination of withdrawals.

The logic of taking Kratom is basically to step down to a weaker opioid while keeping the oxy WD to a minimum.

Yeah that's valid, just wanted to make sure you realized, I've seen way too many people buy into the industry hype that kratom is harmless, just a plant, it's the magical cure-all for opiate addiction. Kratom pushers try to make it seem like it's not an opioid so a lot of people fall right into it with no idea they will have kratom withdrawals.

Yeah that's valid, just wanted to make sure you realized, I've seen way too many people buy into the industry hype that kratom is harmless, just a plant, it's the magical cure-all for opiate addiction. Kratom pushers try to make it seem like it's not an opioid so a lot of people fall right into it with no idea they will have kratom withdrawals.

Yeah I've always known Kratom is an opioid agonist (a weak one compared to Morphine/Oxy) so I'll be treating it as such.

I think I read somewhere that Kratom is about as potent as Codeine on the mu receptor.

Hey all.

I'm seriously considering stopping my Oxycodone prescription which I've been on for 4 years. Basically I don't feel it's appropriate to take 120mg of Oxy IR daily anymore cos my level of pain has decreased significantly over the past 6 months. I want to do this cold turkey as it's the quickest way but I also want to try and mitigate the WD's as much as possible. It's common knowledge that benzos are very useful for opioid WDs, should I do this under the supervision of my doctor and HOPE that he prescribes a temporary course of benzos or should I do it alone and buy the benzos off a close friend of mine who sells pharma grade benzos of all types? I'd prefer to do the latter tbh. The benzos my friend sells are:

Alprazolam (1mg pills)
Clonazepam (2mg pills)
Diazepam (5-10mg pills)
Lorazepam (2-2.5mg pills)
Temazepam (10mg jellies)
Nitrazepam (5-10mg pills)

They all come in boxes of 28 tablets.

Which benzo or benzos from that list would u choose to aid opioid WD? And what dosage regimen would u recommend? Cheers guys.
Throw in some Gabapentin or Pregabalin (Lyrica) and you will be smooth sailing. There are absolutely no contraindications between gabapentinoids and benzos. Your doc will most likely write you a script. Mine did.