• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Benzos for Opioid WD

evo4ever

Bluelighter
Hey all.

I'm seriously considering stopping my Oxycodone prescription which I've been on for 4 years. Basically I don't feel it's appropriate to take 120mg of Oxy IR daily anymore cos my level of pain has decreased significantly over the past 6 months. I want to do this cold turkey as it's the quickest way but I also want to try and mitigate the WD's as much as possible. It's common knowledge that benzos are very useful for opioid WDs, should I do this under the supervision of my doctor and HOPE that he prescribes a temporary course of benzos or should I do it alone and buy the benzos off a close friend of mine who sells pharma grade benzos of all types? I'd prefer to do the latter tbh. The benzos my friend sells are:

Alprazolam (1mg pills)
Clonazepam (2mg pills)
Diazepam (5-10mg pills)
Lorazepam (2-2.5mg pills)
Temazepam (10mg jellies)
Nitrazepam (5-10mg pills)

They all come in boxes of 28 tablets.

Which benzo or benzos from that list would u choose to aid opioid WD? And what dosage regimen would u recommend? Cheers guys.

Please reconsider doing this cold turkey. Is there any kind of slick sales pitch I can use to make you reconsider this course? We can help you every step of the way.

I can easily see you finishing this with a dependence upon Benzodiazepines. That is only one possible outcome. I dont know what will happen exactly, but I feel confident that you're stated goal of being Opioid-free is more likely to be reached with a compromise.

More than once, I've ended up in a locked-door Psychiatric Ward after starting an "aggressive" taper of Opioids. There is no way I could possibly resist taking Opioids if I were sick and they were available.

Please reconsider doing this cold turkey. Is there any kind of slick sales pitch I can use to make you reconsider this course? We can help you every step of the way.

I can easily see you finishing this with a dependence upon Benzodiazepines. That is only one possible outcome. I dont know what will happen exactly, but I feel confident that you're stated goal of being Opioid-free is more likely to be reached with a compromise.

More than once, I've ended up in a locked-door Psychiatric Ward after starting an "aggressive" taper of Opioids. There is no way I could possibly resist taking Opioids if I were sick and they were available.

There can't be any harm in taking a benzo for no more than a week to get me through the worst of opioid WDs, I mean it's what clinicians prescribe for acute opioid WD's if u wanna go down the cold turkey route right?

When I kicked a massive fentanyl habit, generous amounts of clonazepam made it bearable, though it still sucked monkey balls.

there are a whole list of things that could go wrong when going cold turkey plus i assume that dose of oxy is high. Why not maybe wean yourself down to a lower dose first before going cold turkey. but to answer the original question, in my exp Diazepam and Bromazepam helped me the best. especially with the muscle relaxation properties and nitrazepam a 3rd for that too.

For real id move yourself down to 100mg and then 60mg then 30 mg then 10mg over a course of like 2 weeks. WD will still suck balls trust me. Then try and take a few diazepam at the end of your 2 weeks or something

There can't be any harm in taking a benzo for no more than a week to get me through the worst of opioid WDs, I mean it's what clinicians prescribe for acute opioid WD's if u wanna go down the cold turkey route right?

Hey there. So, I understand what you're getting at here. You're anticipating a pretty easy process from a pretty optimistic point of view. Making predictions like this can be dangerous, but keep in mind, I'm coming from a position of extensive experience.

I'm not exactly "proud", but my experience in withdrawing from essentially all possible cocktails of drugs leads me to plan for the absolute worst. Our addictions, keep in mind began as a state of overconfidence regarding what we can or cannot handle.

Having drugs at your disposal that can relieve your negative symptoms can be problematic. The past had taught you that your expectations are not to he trusted.

Even a couple of weeks on Clonazepam at 3mg per day left me with a distinct rattle for about 48-72 hours. I didn't sleep at all the first night. It's not extreme, but it was present.

If I were you, I would use your sedatives judiciously. You're incorrect that these drugs are commonly prescribed for withdrawal in contemporary medicine. You are far more likely to be prescribed Buprenorphine on the spot.

Sedatives for strictly Opioid withdrawal is an antiquated process. Here is a theoretical anecdote that explains the position of prescribers:

Patient is given sedatives.

Patient enters withdrawal

Patient medicated with Benzodiazepine

Patient is sedated but still experiencing un-treated Opioid withdrawal symptoms; an itch that can't be scratched.

Patient takes more sedative.

Patient blacks out, gos to the packy and buys a pint of vodka and drinks it.

Patient inexplicably ends up with Heroin in his possession

Dead patient.

I'm only saying that this is a worst case scenario. That doesn't mean it is not anticipated realistically. Benzodiazepines are dangerous for reasons above and beyond their direct, clinical effect.

you are riding on a beast and my only Opiate wd experiences stem from Kratom. Which is a cute pet animal at best when comparing it to Oxycodone.

But Kratom cold turkey is quite handleable. Oxy's not that easy is my guess. But if you are considering cold turkey and Benzo's. There are two question's that come to mind.

Have you got any previous experience with benzodiazepinen ?
Did you consider Kratom as taper/ switch Evo4ever?

Kratom seem's a more logical and safer option to tame your beast. And from experience I say tapering or cold tukey on it is do-able. The transition from full agonist's, like Oxy, get's a lot of positive commend's on Bluelight. Most will agree that its the better option of the two.

Hmm I suppose I better stay on the Oxy's then cos I've just been scared out of stopping lol. But as others have said I think it's better to cold turkey off a much lower dose. And yes emkee_reinvented I've got plenty of experience with benzos with no previous addictions.

Last edited:
Good answers posted. Glad it scares ya; it should.
Hoping one does not opt for the benzo route as it is by far the worst choice, IMO, as we all (OK... maybe 95%) have addictive personalities and when we get comfortable we tend to stay there.
I would second the suggestion that one employ kratom to get off the oxy... in my opinion it is an effective and a safe-ish option if used with respect (a tool to get off opioids). Kratom can and does bring issues with dependance and WDs upon cessation but in my experiences with opi WDs this is definitely preferable. Wait til one starts to feel withdrawals from the opiate (the longer one can wait the more effective) and then dose a couple grams of kratom. One may not feel "high" but may notice the symptoms of WDs are not present or diminished to almost nada.
Cold turkey off Opioids are hell: Getting off benzos can be quite a challenge and not recommended. Been there more than a couple times and surprised I did not get my own padded room. Just went through the most disturbing experiences of my life and came out the other end battered and abused. Taper taper taper.
If possible, taper taper taper. It works. Took me many years to believe it for some dumb ass reason but I finally got it.
Good luck with your project and as stated: Revisit... we will all do what we can to keep ya well and sane.
One

Good answers posted. Glad it scares ya; it should.
Hoping one does not opt for the benzo route as it is by far the worst choice, IMO, as we all (OK... maybe 95%) have addictive personalities and when we get comfortable we tend to stay there.
I would second the suggestion that one employ kratom to get off the oxy... in my opinion it is an effective and a safe-ish option if used with respect (a tool to get off opioids). Kratom can and does bring issues with dependance and WDs upon cessation but in my experiences with opi WDs this is definitely preferable. Wait til one starts to feel withdrawals from the opiate (the longer one can wait the more effective) and then dose a couple grams of kratom. One may not feel "high" but may notice the symptoms of WDs are not present or diminished to almost nada.
Cold turkey off Opioids are hell: Getting off benzos can be quite a challenge and not recommended. Been there more than a couple times and surprised I did not get my own padded room. Just went through the most disturbing experiences of my life and came out the other end battered and abused. Taper taper taper.
If possible, taper taper taper. It works. Took me many years to believe it for some dumb ass reason but I finally got it.
Good luck with your project and as stated: Revisit... we will all do what we can to keep ya well and sane.
One

Cheers for the advice. I've heard nothing but good things about Kratom actually, can it be bought legally online delivered to a UK address? And which type of Kratom is the most effective for opi WD?

Last edited:
One would have to check all laws foreign and domestic. Not sure but can be researched.

Well apparently it is illegal in the UK but I found loads of UK based sites selling it with a quick Google search so its quite obvious the UK authorities aren't enforcing it very well lol.

Any "strain" will do but if ya need to do shit while getting "clean" I prefer a green (balance of energy, pain relief, mood boost and anxiety relief) maeng da (these terms are thrown around and probably mean nothing) or a red strain. Stay away from chocolate or blackish options as they do relieve pain but put ya down at the same time, IME.

It seriously frustrates me the way governments are quick to ban substances that aren't proven to cause any significant harm, especially when compared to Alcohol or Tobacco! Why do they do it?? Is it just sheer ignorance?

It seriously frustrates me the way governments are quick to ban substances that aren't proven to cause any significant harm, especially when compared to Alcohol or Tobacco! Why do they do it?? Is it just sheer ignorance?

Follow the money. Who funds the political campaigns? Tobacco and alcohol lobbies.

I remember reading a funny story where a clueless politician in the US was questioned about his crusade against salvia. He referenced some videos of people taking it online and said "if it's on YouTube it must be bad." The journalist asked if he ever watched a Girls Gone Wild video. Lmao.

Turns out, to the surprise of no one, that the two biggest contributors to his campaign were... you guessed it... alcohol and tobacco companies.

Anyway as for your departure from oxy, tapering is definitely the way to go. As well as kratom and benzos, codeine helps a lot, and you can buy codeine linctus pretty easily and legally from online pharmacies in the UK. I used codeine to help me quit oxy and it helped the final jump a lot.

Pregabalin is also an excellent comfort med, but keep in mind it shares the same kind of addictive potential as benzos.

I've got plenty of experience with benzos with no previous addictions.
UK and Kratom, the first purchase was from UK. I reaaly hope you can get it. And you can CWE Codeine from OTC tabs right. Acces to both would be a perfect tapering kit.

And you'll avoid the benzo which is a plus, better safe then sorry. Beside that they just help by calming and sedating. Due to previous use you would prob need larger doses then a a benzo naive. def avoid if possible.

You will get through Evo4ever, have ever tried using codeine solely as taper aid?

Maybe get some of those yellies for your stash. For after your WD's. Temazepam is such a breeze unlike any other one.

The answer is temazepam. However, I have to ask why the fuck do you want to do this cold turkey? I never ever never understand why so many people want to do this. 120mgs is not so big a habit that it will have you seeing demons but I guarantee once you hit the 24 hour mark you will rethink this strategy.

Temazepam for sleep and Diazepam for the day all day. No questions asked.

Temazepam is the undoubted king of benzos, and very difficult to obtain. I'd kill for some