• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

benzo withdrawal

Undyingecho

Greenlighter
I had been prescribed valium 15mg a day in addition to purchasing extra off the street for 9 months now. Due to complicated circumstances I am now forced to cold turkey it. It's been 7 days I'm sweating anxious its hard to breath. I've attempted suicide a few days ago. The hospitol refuses to help me and I have no money. What should I be expecting in terms of withdrawal and how long

well it's going to be a while yet, can you get some more street valium? order etiz/phenazepam? there's just no easy way out, you are a week through it but with valium, shit is just starting to hit the fan. I'd really try to taper, i've been there though and it is awful. I had no help the first time i went through it and it was horrible, wish you the best. If you have to eat a shit load of valerian root, it will help a bit. There are other meds that will help get you through, propranolol or clonide will help quite a bit. The hospital should not refuse you, i'd go back, when they test your blood pressure and heart rate they are going to know you need help.

you can expect that you will feel disconnected from your body, feel like you're dreaming, get really sore muscles, terrible back pain, not being able to eat, constant shitting, hot and cold flashes and other weird skin sensations and sensitivity issues. You will be able to hear a pin drop and lights will seem bright. Seriously hope you make it out okay, i know exactly what you are going through.

Yea the hospitol is a joke I had a doctor.tell me to my face its not her problem. My family treats me like I'm fine and am just trying to get out of work its really discouraging to say the least.

robotripping is right..
it's just starting to get bad..
go back to the hospital - admit that you've
felt suicidal..and why.
they are required to stabilize you.
they can't ignore you..if you don't let them.
if you're to the point of trying to kill yourself w/in days
of stopping..you need to help yourself immediately...
this is only the beginning.

YOU are in charge of your well-being...
and the doctors work for you.
and just like any other work environment..
some of the employees are bound to be inept.
if you're unhappy with the quality of
a dr's care..
demand to see another dr..and another..
until you feel as though you're
being treated appropriately.
be completely honest in order to get the help you really need.
we all have to rely on ourselves.
<3

Doctors these days are jokes. But anyway I'm off to detox tomorrow ill just keep hitting the beers til then :p at least I won't miss brickleberry tonight gonna suck missing the new south park though :(

Not gonna scare you but EVEN with a slow taper, there are tons of people who get slammed with withdrawal for 6-18 months AFTER their last dose. I hit tolerance withdrawal in Jan '12 and it got even worse after my last dose ~4.5 months ago. Crazy anxiety, agoraphobia, extreme crushing fatigue, dizziness, etc... Did a ton of research and it really looks like the only remedy is TIME which fucking sucks. There is nothing that exists that can revert the messed up GABA receptors and sites. The CNS takes forever to return to homeostasis.

Interesting update. Intense euphoria and a slight tingling on my skin?

Edit: intense crushing fatigue lol ^ that hit right before this fit of euphoria which has unfortunately ended

i do believe you may be heading into the crazy part of benzo withdrawal, the complete psychosis. Either that or you've had enough alcohol, careful with alcohol, it will reduce your seizure threshold which is very dangerous, i'd go to the detox drunk if you are already drinking just to try and avoid that rebound effect it has.

i do believe you may be heading into the crazy part of benzo withdrawal, the complete psychosis. Either that or you've had enough alcohol, careful with alcohol, it will reduce your seizure threshold which is very dangerous, i'd go to the detox drunk if you are already drinking just to try and avoid that rebound effect it has.

13 hours til I go and 13 beers left how covinient :p

no pain, no gain, (still got a couple of benzos, they don't do much atm) :\ i do have opposite of symptoms from the "cold turkey" and the "taper" IMHO but not flying over a "coucou nest" type stuff J/K

Ugh my appt got pushed back til friday morning I did manage to get my hands on some ativan though, so I'm feeling waaaaaaaaaay better=D. still pissing out my ass but no more shaking and sweating and I can actually sleep now :)

A hospital has to evaluate you if you claim you plan on hurting yourself. And I know the feeling, bro. I came of clonazepam and had the shits and felt like I had the flu. It sucks ass, literally. Hang in there.

Like TokenN said, there are good doctors out there. I developed a massive Xanax habit, switched to valium to try and taper myself, (100mgs+ a day after the switch), kept relapsing to 70-100mgs a day when I'd got down to 50mgs or so, and the first two doctors I sought help from were worse than useless: one of them actually told me 'yes, you must taper very slowly or you may die, at those doses. You can buy the pills on the street.'

I couldn't believe it, lost all faith in medical practioners, and spent a year failing to taper on my own before throwing in the towel, doing some research, and finding an older practitioner (those over 40-50 seem to be more sympathetic, they were trained to recognise the severity of benzo withdrawal and necessity of tapering),who immediately put me on a supervised taper. It could take up to a year to get down to zero - I'm at the 50mgs sticking point, and the next few drops are going to be painful - but I think that with just a little support from bi-weekly consultations with a sympathetic GP, I'm going to make it this time. Google and ask around, and you'll find a doc who knows how to treat benzo addiction: you're on relatively low doses, so you might be able to get through it in just a couple of months. But GET HELP - you can't CT from 16mgs without risking a syndrome that makes opiate withdrawal look like a wet dream. Go to another hospital, find a shrink, and if necessary, as a stopgap, get some street benzos/etizolam/phenibut. You really, really, don't want to cold turkey, and you're going to hit the worst of it over the next week or so. Please, take action and get help: CT isn't a safe option.

Last edited:
^^^yeah cold turkey benzo W/D is runny LOL :p, where theres a will there's a way.... iff you NEED even a "chitty benzo", theyre everywhere... Hell, if you're W/D that bad i would give you my last couple of benzos, but then i'd have to go out "hunting" for benzos... lol, so that wouldn't be a very good idea (Narks-snitches... can't even COP* a box of decent benzos anymore.... or can you/i?*....)
depending on where you live and what medical care you are entitled to there should be a hospital that can take you in, and help you... they can't let you die intentionnally (i hope)

or just wait in the waiting room of the ER until you start seizing, and then die and come back to life... (DON'T!!)

good luck

sometimes they hand out degrees for just getting your homework in on time..:|

True that. Sorry for the long post, but this subject's painfully close to home. The doc in question had also tried to switch me from tryptans for migraines to metoclopramide and pitzofiten, old,dirty drugs with side-effect profiles that combine the worst of SSRIs with first-generation anti-psychotics: didn't even ask if I had any issues with depression or anxiety before scripting me a 'prophylactic' cocktail that could have caused increased depression, anxiety, extra-pyramidal symptoms - pretty much Parkinson's - aggression and weight gain. It was this stupidity that provided a perfect excuse for the addict in me to go looking for Vics and DHC and benzos - only to find, mostly, morphine pills and linctus, fentanyl, nitrazepam, temazepam, xanax, midazolam, demerol and so forth. Take a few from that list, add an NSAID and an anti-emetic like cyclizine, and you're feeling NO pain...but heading downhill at speed. So I present with Migraines - they offer me first sumatriptan and migraleve (Tylenol 1's with a little buclizine), then, when I ask for more sumatriptan owing to the frequency of attacks, nasty old compounds that could have left me a twitching and psychotic mess for life (I looked them up on RXlist and returned them to the pharmacy untouched).

This, combined with work stress. relationship nightmares and a highly addictive personality soon had me hooked on opiates and benzos, which addiction, combined with depression from overwork, gave my fiancee understandable cold feet, and I went from a relatively succesful professional with a beautiful empath consenting to marry me, to a fucked-up single pillhead with an engagement ring going spare. 18 months on, I'm still on 50mgs diaz a day, trying to taper, broke and living with my mom, and (just to take the edge off, of course...) indulging in painkillers once a week...twice a week...and probably again tomorrow. It wasn't the doc's fault that I went off the grid and dived into black market pharms, but they sure as hell did nothing to help me, and self-medication was the only way to keep moving in the absence of proper treatment when 3-5 migraines a day were hitting at the most professionally and romantically challenging point of my life.

This was all in London, and the UK National Health Service runs on what's called a 'postcode lottery': your zip/postcode determines which doctors and hospitals you have access to, and if you're in my old neighbourhood, some arrogant, smug junior doc with a God complex and a prescription pad can be as dangerous as wearing a Star of David and hanging around outside some of the local Taliban-influenced Islamist Academies. It took a move cross-country and a lot of research to find a doctor who was prepared to supervise a taper, and while it's a slow, grinding process, it's freed me from street/web prices and living in fear of running out/stockpiling etizolam and phenazepam (before the latter was banned) for emergencies. And etizolam ain't much use for tapering, with that tadpole little half-life.

Sorry for the rant, but the point remains: choose your doctor carefully, be polite and appreciative if they turn out to give a shit, and, in my case, watch with delight as the pharmacist looks in shock at a prescription reading (first step of the taper): 42 x 5mg diazepam, take three in the morning, 58 x 10mg diazepam, take four at night (a 2-week supply). It was a huge relief, though the dose drops aren't pleasant (5mgs every two weeks, at my suggestion: now have had to take an extra 2 weeks to stabilise on fifty, after panic attacks and shakes, think I'm switching to 2mg weekly drops), to have a legit source of medication I need to be certain of you know, not facing possible psychosis,DTs and a fatal seizure.

Of course, I soon realised that at least half the black market diaz I'd bought had been knock-offs, probably the scrapings from the lab floor with extra filler. '10mg' pills of various brands, never full-blown fakes but often more like 4-6mgs. No wonder I'd been eating 10-15 a day...and, at my worst, 45 of the fucking things (slept for 24 hours in 3 8 hour shifts: take 15 pills, sleep, wake, eat, take fifteen pills again, sleep, wake, repeat once more). Not that I'm unhappy or in pursuit of oblivion...

Though there was one batch of HK 10s, conversely, that my source warned me were unusually strong and prone to cause violent blackouts if mixed with booze: not 100% sure if they were just 15 or 20 mgs diaz, made by clandestine night shift in some Asian lab for export to European dealers, or a barbiturate (they were the strongest downs I've ever had, more sedating than Midazolam), but either way, I immediately went from 10+ pills a day to 5-6. A month later, the same source could only get lighter blue pills, supposedly of the same brand, that he sold at half his usual rate, admittting up front that they were sub-standard (5's dressed as 10's again).

Now the market's being flooded with fakes, manufactured domestically, and etizolam/phenazapam pressed and sold as diaz. That kind of inconsistency makes it near-impossible to taper, as you don't really know what dose you're on, and a weak batch can lead to bad w/ds and rapid relapse. If I hadn't found the right doctor, I think the nosedive would have continued, and completely fucked my life up for good. Tapering's hard enough when you can trust your meds - if they're not what it says on the strip/box, then you're pretty much fucked.

Ah, damn, I wish I had a seroquel. Feels like another sleepless night approaching...

Still, Viva Teva! who sell 5s as 5s and 10s as 10s, and thank God for Doctor X's wisdom. Apologies. again, for the long post, but thinking of those braindead quacks at my old shithole clinc makes me angry even through a fog of valium and morphine (yeah, I want off the benzos...but still love getting high). I should have filed an official complaint, and at least wrapped 'em up in red tape for a while: they couldn't treat headaches, wouldn't treat addiction, and so far as the Hippocratic precept 'do no harm' is concerned, they were liars, fools and criminally negligent.

End of rant. Find a good, experienced doc who doesn't view drug abuse as a moral issue. They do exist...but the other kind are all too common, and they can leave you in a state of neurochemical carnage and accuse you of 'drug-seeking' if you ask for a double script of sumatriptan and a little Naproxen. Ignorant bastards could have killed me, and facilitated a full-blown joint addiction that's wiped two years, a lover and most of my friends away. I jumped into it, but they gave me a helpful little push...and never even got me high in the process. Doctor knows best? Some at least know something. Final irony: if BL and Erowid hadn't taught me to research any prescription before taking it, I might be in still worse shape than I am, with tardive dyskenesia and a permanently disfigured personality.

Last edited:
I thought your post was really interesting. Just I'm realizing my opi habit is a combo of insomnia, avoiding migraines, getting high, avoiding withdrawal. If I could find a good doctor to give something actual for my migraines maybe I could stabilize my life, and sleep properly. I really enjoyed the encouragement in your post, and your positive thinking! It made my attitude change a bit, (bein in wd) though I wish you really good luck for the taper your in the midst of. It is really not a drug even worth what our minds build it to. (benzos) Although you are much more experienced w/ val's than I.

Im in the uk and i have been taking between 16 and 40 etizolam eveyday for a year. I went to my local a&e yesterday to hopefully get sectioned under the mental health act but all they gave me was a fone number ton call today. I need to sit here been sweating insomniac dogs all night until this help place opens!

I tried to kill myself and my girlfriend yesterday by trying to run us both off the road as she was driving. Suicidal maniachial thought patters of destruction and wanting to kill myself and anyone close to me.

I need jelp quickly and i feel as though the hospital passed the buck. Luckily my mum has sat bwith me all night re-assuring me i'll get the help i need today.

I'm worried they will just pap me off aswell and im left with anearly 400 a month etizolam withdrawal.

If they cant help me its back to the rc websites to buy more etizolam just to make me feel normal but that isnt the answwer.

I need a detox system and i hope to god i get it today, thanks everyone. i feel all ur pain :(