• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Being Sober is F'ing Terrifying: How Do People Do It?

Being Sober is F'ing Terrifying: How Do People Do It?​

In my experience and probably many othrs there is a motive, incentive or other reason to get "sober".
Yeah it sucks giving up what makes us feel good and not deal with wtf is going on around us but if we keep the focus on us we usually end up in some fairly dark places.
Not perfect here, either. Far from it.
I do remember the days when we would post in the thread about what all we were on and you had lists way long (as did I)... not so much anymore which I feel you are entitled to a big congrats on dropping a lot of substances if in fact this is an accurate observation.
Sometimes it would seem that sacrificing our wants can bring joy to others... IDK.
Big hugs, bruv.
:group hug:

I've done drugs from 19. I'm 38 I got dinner 3 years ago the first two years were hard the first year was terrible. I'm fine now. You go back to normal. The longest you do drugs with out stopping the harder it is to quit. If you don't quit over and over again then it will be very hard to quit. That's just life it's acting no shit it's hard to quit! Yeaas that's what addicting means so maybe stop putting addicting things up your nose. No shit. They should teach self control in school. I wish I never did drugs. Hard drugs. Weeds alright.

I don't know if I wish I never did drugs, I have had some fucking brilliant times and I have met some wonderful peoples along the way and drink kept me alive for a while. The last 5-7 years have been nothing but shit though, day in day out shit. Not only for me but for those around me, those who left and thought fuck this included and those still around. Do you think looking back it was game over from the get-go? Looking back I have realised that after the first pint I ever had it was absolute curtains for me and I haven't been able to manage my drinking or using since that day. Weird really when I think about it, how it felt.

As for weed - not for me. It sends me absolutely paranoid to the point I can't even be around my dog. Spiraling into an emotional blackhole. Strangely thats what happens with LSD and shrooms now too, never used to.

Do you think looking back it was game over from the get-go?
Pretty much yeah for me personally.
It was weed (back in those days weed was shit but what was there) and I was around 6 or 7 yrs old. Then shortly after it was alcohol. It seemed to alleviate the trauma(s) in early childhood and open doors to other "realms".
If I'd have known then that it was just a cover up and I would have to deal with the same issues one day x100 I may have never even started, IDK. I was a fairly smart kid and grew to be a monster and now am somewhere in between. Monster seems to have been locked away (until needed) but damage is done and seeking help in the form of therapy for my traumas and dirty deeds... decades of both.
Wishing us all out of the hell(s) that we have been living in in one form or another and looking for ways to ease the oppressive situations that we find ourselves in. Maybe one day we can be at least a little less unhealthy and a little less self destructive.

xxsicknessxx said:
ChemicallyEnhanced said:
I've done drugs from 19. I'm 38 I got dinner 3 years ago the first two years were hard the first year was terrible. I'm fine now. You go back to normal. The longest you do drugs with out stopping the harder it is to quit. If you don't quit over and over again then it will be very hard to quit. That's just life it's acting no shit it's hard to quit! Yeaas that's what addicting means so maybe stop putting addicting things up your nose. No shit. They should teach self control in school. I wish I never did drugs. Hard drugs. Weeds alright.
What was your purpose in (mis)quoting this post from @ChemicallyEnhanced?

I'm either going to change this thread to " Addiction....being sober is totally worth it" or move it over to Drug Culture. Members coming here for real Health and Recovery don't need to see that staying sober is terrifying. Kinda negates the whole purpose of the sub forum. Recovery threads are supportive, informative and full of kind words. This thread is veering off from that protocol. So OP would you rather have the title changed or have it moved to Drug Culture where the word " terrifying " will be okay?

Wasn't that just a stand alone post which ended up inside quotes due to a quoting mishap?

Do we have a bot now as a moderator? :D

Has the bot mod deleted a well meaning post due to digital autism?

Wasn't that just a stand alone post which ended up inside quotes due to a quoting mishap?

Do we have a bot now as a moderator? :D

Has the bot mod deleted a well meaning post due to digital autism?
Yeah thats what I was thinking tbf

Idk read some of my posts. It's no lie it's a struggle at first .. but years later I'm fine ... yea I'd say I'm happy .. you might want to try someday.. those pshyic meds ... I dumped em , took about two years for the brain to recover . Heck took me a week to tie my shoes .... yea .. you might be in for some tough times ahead.. only you can decide if you want sobriety

Another voice here for you experiencing withdrawal, unless you have been drug free for multiple months then you cant count that out.

Get totally drug free (obviously that's no small thing), get physically fit, get some hobbies/interests, engage in social activities that don't include drugs and build healthy connections with other humans, get routine and structure in your life.....if after doing all of these things then you're still experiencing the same symptoms then at that point it will be time to start digging deeper on how to deal with the problem.

I'm not saying that you can't be experiencing mental illness whilst using or that achieving those things will be easy, just that these things are the first port of call and what you are experiencing could be attributed to any one of them being missing.
This exactly

Being sober gets easier with time. I've been using drugs (and/or alcohol) on a daily basis for 20+ years. Recently - over the past couple of years - I have been learning to moderate. At first, it seemed impossible... but that's just an illusion. That is your addiction tricking you into feeling helpless so you keep using.

Sobriety is actually great and drugs are better, too, when you're not relying on them to escape from the reality of your sober life... because that's not healthy.

Life shouldn't be too hard to cope with when you're sober. If drugs are being used like that, they are preventing you from being happy without them.

I definitely needed to self-medicate when I was younger, but I don't need it (as much) now. My addiction - and my fear of sobriety - stems from trauma now. It is the remnant of the man I once was... and it is time to shed it.

The process of removing yourself from an addiction can take years. With opiates, it is often lifelong.

Don't underestimate how clever your addiction is.

Take your time. Making progress one excruciating step at a time (even if you also take two steps backwards) is better than giving up because you can't sprint to the finish line.

Remember, withdrawals distort reality. During the peak of withdrawals is when you are the most vulnerable... and your addiction knows this.

Don't trust yourself emotionally when withdrawing. Easier said than done, I know. Last time I withdrew from benzos I had very strong suicidal ideation and I'm not a suicidal person. Two days later, I looked back and thought WTF but it seemed so real at the time.

Try to remember: these feelings will pass.

Sobriety is honestly like a drug. I have been on drugs for so long, that it feels alien to me... and it feels good. I feel healthier. I am more engaged with people. I am happier. I honestly think I enjoy it as much as a drug, but there is still that association I built for decades telling me that drugs are recreational and sobriety isn't.

Life is more important than drugs. Drugs - like television - are a luxury that we don't need to be happy. We think these things make us happy, but do they?

Daily (heavy) use of anything becomes miserable after a while... but (since dissecting my addiction problems) I realize that this extends beyond drugs. We are - all - addicted to technology. This shouldn't be overlooked in terms of sobriety. I look at screens (computers / phones / TV) because that's where I get my dopamine hits. Again, I associate this with happiness but I actually prefer doing almost anything physical and/or with people IRL.

Modern technology has the same function as drugs. Escapism.

I realize now that I don't want to want to escape.

I have started working on moderating technology in my life. This (like learning to moderate my drug/alcohol use) is probably going to take me years, but that's okay. If that's how long it takes, it is what it is. I can wait.

@ChemicallyEnhanced

TL/DR: I wouldn't have believed this if somebody said to me ten years ago, but sobriety isn't so bad.

I can't do it.
I lost all my connects about 2 years ago.
I was spoiled for many years. Had constant access to heroin, tramadol, cannabis, meth, amphetamine & the occasional obscure drug.

Now I have no connections at all.
I take buprenorphine, gabapentin & klonopin daily & smoke delta 8. And all this does is make me tired. Yet I have to take it all just to feel "normal".
I still crave & obsess over heroin & full agonists from the minute I wake up til the minute I go to bed.

Like I don't know if I can stand it much longer.

I went through a time in which I'd rather die than to live sober. Was spending all my money on drugs, wrecking the little relationships I had left, getting legal repercussions from smuggling drugs etc. my DOC were dissociatives, and opioids but the latter I'd get from the pharmacy. Checked myself into rehab just to continue use during that two months (time was limited to 6-8 weeks anyways and they didn't really control their people so I did smuggle the goodies in right through the front door). Thought I couldn't live sober, and withdrawal and the first time without drugs was freaking terrifying but it really becomes easier with time. I'm now sober for a solid 2 years with one "relapse" but not out of choice, I'd continue to consume if I could but I'm living in a country with tough customs so all that's left is the pharmacy which offers little good options. The hardest thing to handle are cravings, which made me to use kratom daily but that stopped to work (never exhibited real opioid effects for me right from the beginning) so I'm left with coffee and nothing. It sucks but it's also manageable nowadays.

Wish you all good luck, you can do it!

I have permanent chronic pain and while I rarely ever abuse drugs to get high (maybe 5 to 10 times per year)....if there were no opioids it would be a very easy choice to end my life.

So yes....although being on drugs itself is very shitty, certain ppl, it's less shitty to be on drugs and worse for the person to not be on drugs.

Can’t agree with you on the prayer thing. Repeatedly thinking about something or vocalizing something can definitely make it more likely likely to happen….see self-hypnotism/law of attraction.
Whatever you look at seems bigger, actually gets bigger in your perception. If you have two glasses on either end of a table and you stare at one, it will seem/get bigger.

There is always good and bad in your life. Sometimes, one is in greater proportion. If the bad is in greater proportion and you focus only on it, it will get bigger and seem as if that is all there is.

If you try to focus on the good, at least here and there, it may not even take you all the way into your happy place/self hypnotism/law of attraction, but it will at least stop you from falling into that hole where nothing is right and everything sucks.