• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Beginners Guide --> safer use of opiates / opioids

bronson

Bluelighter
The Safer Use of Opiates / Opioids
(under construction - written by laCster, hatrix, Swimmingdancer & myself)
Disclaimer: The following is informed opinion only. Total abstinence from the use of any drugs is by all means safer and encouraged. However, if you find yourself in the position where you feel you will end up using regardless, the intent of this thread is to more safely help you do so.

Following will be a large list of all the various substances in this class that I can find proper information for. If something is missing, or obviously in error, please post so that it can be corrected, or added. For each drug you will find by clicking its name in the list, potential routes of administration with typical safe starting doses for someone with low / no tolerance. The ROA(s) considered as best or most safe will be bold while those that should be avoided will appear in red.

But first some things important to note!

If you are already an opiate tolerant user, but are switching to a different drug please be sure to make use of the Opioid Conversion Chart. Bear in mind that cross tolerance between opiates / opioids is NOT compleat, and to reduce starting doses accordingly.

If you are using larger amounts of pills that contain acetaminophen known as APAP please refer to the Cold Water Extraction Mega Thread & FAQ. This will help to prevent needless and possibly fatal damage to your liver.

If you are using any drug via the IV ROA please do yourself the favor of Micron Filtering. Should you still end up with complications it is best to seek professional medical help, but if you choose here is some related reading.

Before we proceed, even if everything goes perfectly, you'll still likely end up addicted, and eventually facing withdrawals. Read this, as a last ditch effort to convince yourself not to start using.

And now the list...
  • codeine
  • hydrocodone
  • oxycodone
  • tramadol
  • hydromorphone
  • oxymorphone
  • methadone
  • ketobemiodone
  • meperidine
  • buprenorphine
  • heroin
  • fentanyl
  • sufentanil
  • remifentanil
  • alfentanil
  • morphine
  • butorphanol
  • diphenoxylate
  • pethidine
  • normeperidine
  • pentazocine
  • dihydrocodeine

Last edited:
codeine
(Wiki Link) | Additional Links:

ROAs
  • Oral (~90% BA) --> 45 - 120mg (dosages vary due to due to efficiency in 2d6 - your metabolism, age, weight, genetics, ect...)
  • Sublingual --> not known (likely similar to oral with no benefit)
  • Intranasal --> cannot be snorted, as it requires vigorous liver metabolism.
  • Vaporized --> extremely dangerous
  • Rectal --> 50 - 150mg (binders create inefficiency)
  • IM --> extremely dangerous
  • IV --> lethal
IV codeine is lethal.
often contains APAP

Last edited by a moderator:
hydrocodone

ROAs
  • Oral (80%+ BA) --> 15 - 20mg
  • Intranasal --> 20 - 25mg (not recommended due to APAP)
  • Rectal --> less efficient than oral
  • IV --> extremely dangerous
almost always contains APAP

oxycodone

ROAs
  • Oral (~80% BA) --> 10 - 20mg
  • Intranasal (~55% BA) --> 15 - 20mg
  • Rectal --> 7.5 - 20mg
  • IV --> 10mg
Start low for safety resason, but consider some people are bigger and bulkier than others, and females have a slightly higher tolerance to opiates in general.

tramadol

ROAs
  • Oral --> 100 - 150mg
  • Intranasal --> drug metabolizes only after a burning drip (avoid)
  • Rectal --> bypasses desirable first pass hepatic metabolism (avoid)
  • IV --> extremely dangerous
Doses starting in the range of 200mg and above have a high potential to cause dangerous and life threatening seizures. Do not exceed 300mg in a 24 hour period.

hydromorphone
NSFW:
links here

ROAs
  • Oral -->
  • Sublingual -->
  • Buccal -->
  • Intranasal -->
  • Vaporized -->
  • Rectal -->
  • Transdermal -->
  • IM -->
  • IV -->
notes

Last edited:
Are we assuming low tolerance with these dosages so people have a starting place ?

All I can really say about heroin is to start with a ridiculously small dose because purity varies so greatly. I would say 10mg or less for IV and 15-20mg for intranasal (snorting) and vaporizing ("smoking"). It's possible that if someone has poor quality heroin (which is common) that might not be enough, but they can always do more and can't undo it if they use too much. What do you guys think about those doses?

Sorry guys, we are working on it, I don't think Bronson ment to make it public, but Bronson left me lolol. I'm still trying to.compile all the links, but any info would be greatly appreciates. As soon as possible, we will edit and incorporate all the suggestions and info of you guys!

Thanks lacster

Also any input on ideas would be greatly appreciate d

Methadone

ROAs
  • Oral (~80-85% BA)--> 5-10mg
  • Sublingual --> Couldn't find any info, I would assume it's pretty much the same as oral, expect maybe faster onset ?
  • Intranasal (~45% BA?)--> Not an effective ROA and burns like hell according to many reports
  • Vaporized --> not sure of BA, but apparently not very safe. smoke is reported as caustic
  • Rectal --> (~70-75% BA) - 5-10, just about the same as oral except it comes on a LOT faster. Effects can be felt within 15-30 minutes instead of the typical 1.5+ hours orally
  • IM --> Can't find BA but seeing as how IVing is supposed to be dangerous, I would assume this is even more dangerous and has a high risk abscess
  • IV --> 100% BA as usual with IV. Mixed reports on this. Most formulations are specifically made to not be abused through IV. I'm assuming it's extremely dangerous. Some users who have tried it though say the rush is better than heroin (opinions of course) while some say they experienced no rush

ALWAYS START LOW. NO REDOSING FOR AT LEAST 3-4 HOURS. In all honestly, redosing methadone is pointless. It only increases the duration and won't make the high any stronger. Methadone very long half life poses a lot of risk. DO NOT USE IN COMBINATION WITH OTHER OPIATES OR BENZOS. Methadone + xanax is the most common combination death.

METHADONE IS ONE OF THE MOST POTENT, LONG LASTING OPIATES AVAILABLE TO USE. DO NOT USE ANY BENZODIAZEPENES WITHIN 24 HOURS BEFORE DOSING AND 48 HOURS AFTER DOSING. DO NOT COMBINE METHADONE WITH ANY OTHER CNS DEPRESSANT, INCLUDING ALCOHOL. IF YOU RE-DOSE THE FOLLOWING DAY, ACCOUNT FOR THE BUILD UP OF THE DRUG IN YOUR SYSTEM AND DOSE ACCORDINGLY (LOWER).

Methadone has the highest incidence of respiratory depression across the board with opiates.

If you aren't going to follow my advice, stay away from methadone.

IV --> I would assume BA is higher than oral, close to ~95%-100 as usual with IV.
IV anything is 100%, that's the definition of absolute bioavailability. Other BAs are a percentage compared to IV (*except relative BAs where they are just comparing one formulation to another, but that's not what we mean when we say BA on here).

IV anything is 100%, that's the definition of absolute bioavailability. Other BAs are a percentage compared to IV (*except relative BAs where they are just comparing one formulation to another, but that's not what we mean when we say BA on here).

I figured but didn't know if things like binders had any effect. Thanks.

Just as a heads up, thank you all for your current and continued contributions. Just to be clear this is eventually going to get put into an ordered mega list and closed simply to be used as reference. While your posts may vanish you will be credited for your much appreciated help in the top post. :D

Completely understood, I figured that was the ultimate plan. Methadone is all I plan to add because I've been doing a lot of research on it lately. I'm sure others will chime in with everything else.

Yeah I figured any posts relating to the development etc would eventually get removed in order to keep the thread uncluttered.

Some other ideas:

- Heroin: I really think heroin needs a special disclaimer about how much purity varies, since it's a street drug and not a pill where you know exactly how much drug it contains. It's always best to assume it's high-potency to be on the safe side. And it's also very important to start with a low dose every time you get a new batch. Also should a time-frame for redosing be included? Since if we're recommending people start with a very small dose, they may wonder when it's safe to redose if the first dose didn't give them much effects.

- Methadone: I would say benzodiazepines are the most common fatal drug combination with methadone, as opposed to specifically Xanax.

Great edit for my post Swimmingdancer, couldn't agree more. That information is crucial.

D eSwimming,
Excellent post! Very good input, thank you, will definitely incorporate it :)

Hatrix, thanks for the input aswelk. However, nasal methadone is more effective than oral methadone. It has a higher bioavailability, and has a quicker onset of action . Nasal methadone can be felt strongly after 30mins, while it takes 2hrs for oral
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12426517/

nasal methadone is more effective than oral methadone. It has a higher bioavailability, and has a quicker onset of action . Nasal methadone can be felt strongly after 30mins, while it takes 2hrs for oral
Doesn't that study say it had the same BA as oral methadone? (also if one is snorting pills or oral solution I'd assume absorption would be less than a solution designed specifically for intranasal use, like the one used in the study)

D eSwimming,
Excellent post! Very good input, thank you, will definitely incorporate it :)

Hatrix, thanks for the input aswelk. However, nasal methadone is more effective than oral methadone. It has a higher bioavailability, and has a quicker onset of action . Nasal methadone can be felt strongly after 30mins, while it takes 2hrs for oral

Well I see what the study says but I'm still no to sure. Most people said it burned extremely bad and I read a lot of percentages varying from 40-65%.

Either way snorting a good dose to get high off of for someone with a tolerance is going to be A LOT of powder assuming they had the usual 10mg pills.

We need to find more info on this.