Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film Batman: The Dark Knight Rises!

how many stars?

• Total voters

axl blaze

Bluelighter
so the new Batman movie, The Dark Knight Rises, is slated to hit the silver screens on July 20th, 2012

220px-Dark_knight_rises_poster.jpg

this Batman film will be the third directed by the wondrous Christopher Nolan (Memento, Insomnia) and should be the third and the last installment in Nolan's brilliant Batman trilogy

Tom Hardy stars as the villain, Bane (both pix NSFW for size and spoilers):

NSFW:
tom-hardy-bane-the-dark-knight-rises-2012-movie.jpg

and Selina Kyle (Catwoman) is portrayed by Anne Hathaway:

NSFW:
Anne-Hathaway-Catwoman-pic-3.jpg

what do you all think about these newcomers? I said nay on Tom Hardy as Bane (he's not big enough!), but it looks like they got Bane down. and don't watch Joel Schumaker's version of Bane in that horrible-excuse-for-a-movie, Bane is smart (he deduced the secret identity of Batman in a manner of issues) and Bane is incredulously strong (he broke Batman's back). I am a little luke-warm on Hathaway as Catwoman... she just doesn't do it for me. and Hathaway has a LOT to live up to, as Michelle Pfeiffer absolutely NAILED Cats in Batman Returns back in the day)

the story promises to be influenced from some of the best Batman comics stories - most notably No Man's Land - where Bane breaks Batman's back, then Batman goes into hiding, and then numerous Gotham Gangs apocalyptically take over Gotham and order isn't restored for a VERY long time. as a comic geek let me assure you that this is one of the BEST Bat-stories of all-time!!

the Avengers broke the record as the most-viewed movie of all-time (as far as opening week goes afaik) - and I think we can all see the dollar bills protruding from this last Batman movie's entrance. I can't wait to watch this. Nolan has handled the Bats infamously well, and it appears that after this movie they are going to reboot the Batman movies once again (ugh), but this time with Ryan Reynolds as Batman :(

i look forward to this more than promethius.

I cannot wait for this film. Sure, Thomas Hardy is a pretty baffling choice (or fucking retarded, I haven't decided), but I have total faith in Nolan. The dude is one off the best big-budget directors out there, so if it doesn't quite live up to the magnificence of The Dark Knight (which it won't - I'm calling it now) it should AT LEAST be a fun, smart, exciting film.

the story promises to be influenced from some of the best Batman comics stories - most notably No Man's Land - where Bane breaks Batman's back, then Batman goes into hiding, and then numerous Gotham Gangs apocalyptically take over Gotham and order isn't restored for a VERY long time. as a comic geek let me assure you that this is one of the BEST Bat-stories of all-time!!

*Ahem*Knightfall*ahem* ;)

and it appears that after this movie they are going to reboot the Batman movies once again (ugh), but this time with Ryan Reynolds as Batman :(

Fuck everything.

and it appears that after this movie they are going to reboot the Batman movies once again (ugh), but this time with Ryan Reynolds as Batman

The stupidest casting choice EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thomas Hardy is a pretty baffling choice

Why? The guy is a great actor.

I said nay on Tom Hardy as Bane (he's not big enough!)

Have you seen any photos of him lately? The guy is HUGE!!!! Like mega buff.

Bane is smart (he deduced the secret identity of Batman in a manner of issues) and Bane is incredulously strong (he broke Batman's back)

Yeah I was wondering this myself. Will Batman get his ass beat and not show up for a large part of the film because he is healing? If so that will mean a significant amount of screen time in which Batman will not show up at all.

I am a little luke-warm on Hathaway as Catwoman... she just doesn't do it for me. and Hathaway has a LOT to live up to, as Michelle Pfeiffer absolutely NAILED Cats in Batman Returns back in the day)

Same here really. I just can't picture her as Catwoman. Michelle was such a great Catwoman. Can't be matched IMO.

Why? The guy is a great actor.

Have you seen any photos of him lately? The guy is HUGE!!!! Like mega buff.

He is a great actor, but however buff he might be now, he's still not Bane-Buff. I get that it's probably hard to find an actor who is both talented and enormous, but Nolan is going to have to CGI the crap out of Hardy just to make him look 'right'. I hate it when actors are physically-altered with CGI, its got some uncanny valley-like creepiness to it...they just look "off" and those are the kind of things that bug me in a movie.

I hear what you're saying.

But I highly doubt Nolan will use CGI to alter him to look more like Bane. Nolan has said repeatedly that he hates using CGI unless absolutely necessary.

Take for example the semi truck flipping stunt in the last one. People thought that Nolan was going to use CGI for that scene for sure. But Nolan just said nope make it happen. It would have been safer and less costly to have flipped the semi with CGI but no Nolan did it the old fashioned way.

As for finding an actor that is big buff AND a good actor. I don't think any really exist. Unless you got some sort of professional wrestler to do Bane no one is gonna be that big. And with that way you sacrifice good acting for a guy who just physically matches the part.

But I highly doubt Nolan will use CGI to alter him to look more like Bane. Nolan has said repeatedly that he hates using CGI unless absolutely necessary.

As for finding an actor that is big buff AND a good actor. I don't think any really exist. Unless you got some sort of professional wrestler to do Bane no one is gonna be that big. And with that way you sacrifice good acting for a guy who just physically matches the part.

This is the challenge encountered with choosing Bane as your bad guy - he NEEDS to be buff. Like, insanely buff. Even moreso when venom is pumping through his veins. Tom Hardy is just not physically impressive enough to do Bane justice without the help of some pretty heavy CGI work. All the pictures of Bane I've seen so far, with his weird respirator mask and stupid trench coat, are nothing like his character in the comics.

Granted, Nolan has taken creative liberties in the past (Two-Face's origin, for one), but this whole Bane thing makes me nervous.

I dunno. Give Ryan Reynolds a chance in this. He could certainly flop it, but I have my hopes on this.

I'll pay to see it just for Anne Hathaway being Catwoman alone. (stfu Axl.. who would you use then? Time machines are expensive. Give Hathaway a few nights up on yack and she'll be all the mean you want).
^Totally worth it right there.

Directed by Christopher Nolan. This will be great. Why couldn't they Christian Bale again?

^ no no, I meant that Ryan Reynolds will be in the next Batman film after this one. meaning they're going to re-boot Batman again and have R. R. star as the Bat. Christian Bale is Batman...

*Ahem*Knightfall*ahem* ;)

oh did I mix them up? within diving into my monstrous comic collection... let me get this right. Knightfall was where Bane broke Batman's back, and then No Man's Land was right after where Batman was incapacitated due to healing, and then the Gotham Gangs took over? man, No Man's Land was my favorite Batman story arc. all the major Bats villains took the helm of various gangs in various districts in Gotham City. like Two-Face and his gang took over the Court District and (my favorite) was when Poison Ivy just said fuck it all and retreated into Gotham's version of Central Park; declaring that if anybody stepped inside the park her plants would eat them alive ;) there were some "good" gangs out there too, as the GCPD aka the "Blue Boys" took over the PD District. this arc was SO BAD ASS because Gotham was given up on, all the bridges to Gotham Island were bombed and martial law was in affect. here's the best map that I could find that shows how split up Gotham City was due to the Gang-Takeover (NSFW due to size and/or people caring/not caring):

NSFW:
2082207-gotham_city_map.jpg

I like Tom Hardy... a lot. "Handsome Bob" was brilliant imo. I'm just a tad weary on his Bane. but not half as much weary as I am about Hathaway's Catwoman. and I don't think she's that hot, really. imo, like many stars, I probably wouldn't even look her way twice if I saw her in some dimly lit bar

and also, something to note - apparently during the test screenings of this movie the audience really couldn't make out Bane's voice at all. so Nolan had to go back and change up Bane's voice, most presumably the volume and/or addition/reduction of voice affects... something to watch while we watch for sure :)

Last edited:
just to add a spin on your expectations, you might have missed or forgot that the first set image to leak many many months ago, is this one
dkrpit2.jpg

theory is that it is the green screen lazarus pit.

^ that would make perfect sense, L2R

overall I find most of the characters/stories in the DC Comics side of the realm - boring and one-dimensional. but Batman has obviously eluded such a horrid type cast ever since the company ditched the Ambiguously Gay Duo comparisons in the 70s-early 80s. and a big part of Batman's cerebrally primitive appeal are the villains he goes up against. Ra's Al Ghul, despite being a bit boring when portrayed on the silver screen (imo) and his Lazarus Pits are a big part of Batman's mythology and I'm happy to see them back in the movies

^ Actually he's from a fictional Island in the Caribbean.

Also, lol.

Yeah, "Peña Dura Prison" on the fictional island of "Santa Prisca". (I had to Google the names, but still :p)