• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Barebacking: unprotected anal sex

It is infinitely more complicated than that.

I personally do not understand why anyone, male or female, gay or straight, would choose to risk their good health for a shag.

Unfortunately this does not bode well for the future. This kind of reckless and shortsighted behaviour may result in the emergence of a super virilent strain of HIV.

People that share needles should also be concerned about the same.

HIV does not care what color you are, how much money you make, what kind of a person you are, or who you decide to sleep with.

oops. not trying to oversimplify the entire phenomenon, just commenting on a specific quote. (suppose it would have helped to include the quote...)

Some want to get HIV because then they'll get benefits such as housing, sympathy from others, and in some cases totally free meds which are very expensive.
i realize there are an infinite number of variables that would influence such behavior, but this particular one just makes me cringe.

i

I wonder if the 'bug chaser' phenomenon is essentially a form of Munchhausen syndrome, whereby someone seeks undue amounts of pity, sympathy, and attention from others, and/or preferential access to healthcare resources, by making themselves very ill on purpose.

I'm also strongly reminded of 'bullet chasers' in the military, who've decided all they've got left to live for is going down in a blaze of glory and being a[n] hero in the eyes of one's squadron during the last moments of life.

Was I the only one here who saw the play Rent, and was not moved by it at all? You lived a carefree life involving lots of promiscuous sex. You caught an STD, which you know was a risk of this, even before AIDS was known. Now you're reaping the consequences. Any premature loss of human life is a tragedy, for sure, and nobody likes to lose a friend. But this doesn't make the person who died a tragic hero worthy of an epic piece of fiction!

Sometimes the "bug chasing" thing is sort of like you described, with the sympathy factor and for benefits like housing or meds.

The men I've met who wanted to get HIV and eventually did become Poz did so because they thought that it would allow them to have totally bareback sex all the time with other poz men but that's not true since you can get other strains of HIV or give them to others despite how lots of barebackers seem to think that reinfection is a myth or that it's rare it is not.

The other reasons for bug chasing or wanting to get HIV are what I wrote about in my previous post.

There's a documentary about bug chasing called "The Gift". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0355482/

The promiscuity thing or having a high number of partners does not always matter when it comes to getting HIV.

What matters is if the person is using condoms, not sharing rigs/PNP'ing, or doing high risk sex acts with people that are poz or who could possibly be poz like barebacking. I've been told that swallowing or taking cum/precum in your mouth can be risky too but all of the men I've met who did get HIV from oral sex as this is only what they are into were into swallowing/taking cum in their mouth and either did it to a lot of men or thought that it was OK to swallow/take cum in their mouth when they'd just had dental surgery and the other person lied to them about being poz.

I'm sure as you know some people are born with HIV. Some got it and strains of hepatitis from blood transfusions.

I have gay male friends who have had sex with people who are HIV+ or who have full blown AIDS sometimes without even knowing that the other person was HIV+ but they did not get infected because they did safer sex and having safer sex does work.

I know people who got HIV the first time they had sex and from the first or 2nd guy they had sex with and this was before HIV was known about or when it was just being discovered and not well known about.

I know men who have been with 100s or 1,000s of men after the discovery of HIV/AIDS and the pandemic which is still going on to this day and they are still HIV neg to this day since they have safer sex. I know other men who got HIV since they trusted a sexual partner when they said that they were neg even though the person was Poz or really had not been tested recently and turned out to be poz.

I don't mean to condone barebacking but I know men who have done very high risk sex like barebacking with or swallowing with men who are HIV+ and they did not become Poz but they are either very lucky or else they may be one of the lucky few who have the CCR5 mutation that makes them immune to certain strains of HIV.

I've heard that HIV rates are going up in heterosexuals since IME lots of heterosexuals don't use condoms if they can help it and think that it's OK to bareback as long as the woman is on the pill, some think that HIV isn't something they don't have to worry about or even get tested yearly or when they get a new sexual partner.

I've met medical doctors who have told me how they don't have their heterosexual patients get tested unless the patient tells them how they're not using condoms or are into IV drugs.

I've been told how if you want to remain HIV neg you should assume that your partner(s) are HIV+ or could be HIV+ unless you've been tested and know that you are HIV neg.

Lots of men who are HIV+ are out about being poz and they should be commended but I've been told by my poz friends that lots of people who are Poz flat out lie about it since there's a huge stigma about HIV or being Poz even among bisexual/gay men.

I found this article with links to other studies about barebacking.
http://aidscience.org/Articles/aidscience030.asp

Bareback sex is nothing new. The whole PNP or having bareback/high risk sex while on drugs is not new either. I've heard stories about SF/Fire Island/NYC in the 70s and early 80s how people would have sex with lots of partners in a night/weekend while on crystal methedrine/cocaine, herb, booze, on MDA, or while tripping. In the very dated books about Fire Island "Dancer from the Dance" by Andrew Holleran and "Faggots" by Larry Kramer both describe men having sex with lots of partners while on PCP, downers like heavy tranqs/barbiturates, or Quaaludes.

I know the sex researchers concentrate on only crystal meth when they talk about PNP (party and play) but I've met lots of people who would PNP while on booze and herb or just on opiates if they were just into receptive oral/anal sex. PNP is not just an urban thing despite what HIV-AIDS/sex researchers think.

When I lived in a rural town in the middle of nowhere I knew people who would get drunk/high on herb or even just opiates and PNP with guys who they met in bars/clubs or online.

I do not PNP or bareback at all but if I hypothetically wanted to I could go on any number of sites and ask to do this and easily find people into it. The thing is, that PNP and bareback sex are found everywhere even in the mainstream heterosexual world.

Wear a freaking condom. It's not that hard. If you're going to be with someone and NOT use protection, you both need to be tested beforehand and given the "all clear." I don't understand why people are so irresponsible and even retarded when it comes to having unprotected sex. I mean seriously, it's not that hard to avoid getting an STD or becoming pregnant yet both issues continually pop up in our society like freaking plagues. I can't even count the number of girls I know who became pregnant before the age of 20, most of them are intelligent too so I never understood how they didn't take birth control or use protection, had sex, let a guy come in them, and believe that they wouldn't become pregnant or get an STD. I mean seriously guys, it's not THAT hard.

The scary part is most people would rather live in the dark and not know about it if they have contracted something and they actually get pissed off when a partner asks them if they've been tested. Just because you're in love with someone and trust them doesn't mean you shouldn't get tested. I don't understand why people get insulted when this is brought up either. If someone really loves you, they would want you to remain healthy. I was actually thrilled when my significant other brought up the subject before we had unprotected sex. It's a hard topic to approach but once he mentioned it we were able to discuss it so easily and it makes for much more comfortable sexual experiences. Just knowing that you've seen a piece of paper with proof that your partner is 100% clean is a beautiful thing and demanding that piece of paper before any sexual experience should never be looked down upon or considered rude.

Jesus.

[/end rant]

I personally do not understand why anyone, male or female, gay or straight, would choose to risk their good health for a shag.

Exactly 8o

In my wise old age this rings even truer than before.

The majority of people I've slept with (despite the fact I am anti-anal) have been rubber-free :eek: I really do deserve to have contracted herpes or chlamydia or warts or something! But it looks like the disease angel has been watching over me for some time and somehow I have survived with a clean bill of health, which I am eternally thankful for. :)
(I take the pill, so it's not like I was looking to get knocked up, either).

that said I really fucking hate condoms. in the heat of the moment they are a pretty sure-fire way to kill the mood for me - the burning & irritating they bring for days afterwards just negates the experience for me. but if I really didn't trust the person's assurances of being clean, I just wouldn't go there. and now that I'm practically celibate, my risk of contracting any viruses is next to none.... :\ :)

Lots of gay guys love bareback, some even take the entire thing to another level and actively seek HIV/Aids - Bugparties / Bug Chasers/gift givers etc

I've heard of this. A large amount of gays reckon it's a myth. The closest thing I've heard is that some don't REALLY want an infection, but they feel hopeless that they can truly avoid it, and end up sort of trying to 'get things over and done with' so to speak. Or speed up the inevitable.

That sounds like a more likely scenario to me.

I must admit that I really like the feeling of come in my ass, and in the afterglow feeling it dribble out.

For me it's a really fulfilling moment when your lover delivers his seed deep inside you.

But but but. It's really really risky. I was with him for several months before we found out he was positive and I'd been having unprotected anal with him, and loving it.

If we'd stayed together I would have gone on having unprotected sex with him, just to make him happy and because I couldn't have said no.

As it was I didn't get HIV and I suppose you'd call it a lucky escape.

The only thing is that barebacking is so much better than with a condom.

By the way in this country, syphilis among gays is rising sharply and new HIV infection rates in gays have shot up in the last year.

It's a real shame it's so dangerous and I'm sure I'd be far more promiscuous if it wasn't.

I've heard of this. A large amount of gays reckon it's a myth. The closest thing I've heard is that some don't REALLY want an infection, but they feel hopeless that they can truly avoid it, and end up sort of trying to 'get things over and done with' so to speak. Or speed up the inevitable.

That sounds like a more likely scenario to me.

I’m not saying this is run of the mill, everyday stuff.

When you think about it, It’s not that far from what you have already mentioned - that hopeless guy who thinks 'I’m going to get it anyway so what’s the point of using protection'. He then goes on to catch it and then thinks, 'what the hell I’ve got it now so what’s the point of using protection' so hooks up with like minded guys (at a bug party).

These things happen – somebody mentioned earlier in the thread the name of the company that makes the videos making this material.

Is this behaviour any worse/different than somebody knowing the risks associated with heavy drinking, smoking or drug use and continues doing so?

Not every guy who barebacks gets HIV – not every smoker catches lung cancer!

Not trolling just wondering what your view is on that ?

I don't really have a view. Or judge it in anyway. If it's true what they say about 'bug chasing' it shows they're not crazy or trying to hurt anyone. It's sad though if some people feel they can't protect themselves :(

Wear a condom. HIV and Hep C are no fun! Some people's children, *SMH*

that said I really fucking hate condoms. in the heat of the moment they are a pretty sure-fire way to kill the mood for me - the burning & irritating they bring for days afterwards just negates the experience for me. but if I really didn't trust the person's assurances of being clean, I just wouldn't go there. and now that I'm practically celibate, my risk of contracting any viruses is next to none....

Me too. Condoms suck.

Are you allergic to latex by any chance? Have you tried the other types? Polyeurethane(sp??), etc.

I don't think many black men would sleep with you due to the fact you refer to them as niggers.

^Touche.

I'm not gay but have had unprotected anal sex with my various partners. To be honest, I loathe condoms, they reduce sensation to almost nothing, and I really want to cum deep inside my girlfriend. I mean, is that not the point? I have been concerned a bit with anal and transmission of bugs/infections as well as essentially; after one confrontingly messy session, we determined that pre-cleaning/enema was a good idea and I always shower and clean my cock afterwards.

I would think the idea of acquiring an illness though sex is not exactly arousing but each to their own I s'pose...

OP I feel the fact that you do not wear a condom in sexual encounters that you know are downright dangerous will eventually lead to the spread of disease

You should get tested and if you have sex with someone you should know their status as well even with a condom

I am not one to judge however wht you are doing is a danger to others.

I am straight and if I engage in anal sex with my parnter I use a condom unless proper hygiene standards are taken. At that time I had genital piercings and well that risk of infection was not worth it. But damn yo the clean up is so much easier.

Anyways what you are doing is the reason healthcare is so expensive and really man I do not appreciate having to wait 8 hours at the ER if I break a bone or such because the costs of treating people like you who do not care if the are HIV positive and such. You just are screwing over your fellow human beings by not using a condom.

I might be a hypocrite here to some degree because I engage in unprotected straight sex, but no more anal because that increases the risk tremendously. I do however get tested every time I see the doctor so about 12 times a year. If I was to get an STD I would wait for it to clear if it was treatable and if it was not I would take responsibility and inform who I slept with what I had before having sex with them.

I really just do not appreciate this type of behavior because the costs of treating HIV and HEP C are astronomical and health care here is just not affordable and well for myself personally it is very hard to get any medical treatment and this increases how much honest people have to spend to pay for the treatment of people that will catch a disease eventually if they continue on the path they are.

I do not see why getting a clean blood test is not enough incentive to take yourself down to the store and buy a value back of condoms or a place where they give them to you.

I just can't comprehend how people can't respect themselves yet demand respect out of others.

Last edited:
I stuck a finger in my girlfriend's butt before when we were fucking.

Does that count as barebacking?

OP I feel the fact that you do not wear a condom in sexual encounters that you know are downright dangerous will eventually lead to the spread of disease

You should get tested and if you have sex with someone you should know their status as well even with a condom

I am not one to judge however wht you are doing is a danger to others.

I am straight and if I engage in anal sex with my parnter I use a condom unless proper hygiene standards are taken. At that time I had genital piercings and well that risk of infection was not worth it. But damn yo the clean up is so much easier.

Anyways what you are doing is the reason healthcare is so expensive and really man I do not appreciate having to wait 8 hours at the ER if I break a bone or such because the costs of treating people like you who do not care if the are HIV positive and such. You just are screwing over your fellow human beings by not using a condom.

I might be a hypocrite here to some degree because I engage in unprotected straight sex, but no more anal because that increases the risk tremendously. I do however get tested every time I see the doctor so about 12 times a year. If I was to get an STD I would wait for it to clear if it was treatable and if it was not I would take responsibility and inform who I slept with what I had before having sex with them.

I really just do not appreciate this type of behavior because the costs of treating HIV and HEP C are astronomical and health care here is just not affordable and well for myself personally it is very hard to get any medical treatment and this increases how much honest people have to spend to pay for the treatment of people that will catch a disease eventually if they continue on the path they are.

I do not see why getting a clean blood test is not enough incentive to take yourself down to the store and buy a value back of condoms or a place where they give them to you.

I just can't comprehend how people can't respect themselves yet demand respect out of others.

It's good for people to get tested for HIV but just one test does not mean that someone is actually HIV negative.

Someone could be HIV+ and recently infected and show up as "HIV negative" despite being HIV+.

It's best to just assume that whoever you are having sex with could be HIV+ and has other STDs, and have safer sex with them.

Last edited:
i wrap it - that's required. bare sex is a matter of intimacy and trust, and should be. but i see guys online who say 'bareback only'. and i'm way too anti-1% to sleep with a guy on prep.

There seems to be a lot of opinions on this subject, and some bigotry which maintains the stigma around hiv.

I have been positive for around a decade, and I am not on meds and in great health. My viral load has been constant, and my cd4 count has been normal since diagnosis. Drs are suggesting I go on meds (nhs) to become undetectable, however i am debating whether to do this. My long term partner has not been so fortunate, and has been on meds since diagnosis (we found out together).

Drugs, I think, clouded our decision making and both of us engaged in risky sex. I would not now deliberately infect another person.

However ever adult is aware of the risks of engaging in any unprotected sex. I know plenty of straights (some catching this disease) who are not taking any precautions and engaging in risky sex - it is not just us gays - it offends me when only gays get accused of "spreading" hiv.