• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Bali Nine Australians Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran to be executed together in Bal

Both the death penalty and drug war shouldn't exist in civilized societies. My thoughts are with you Australians. RIP.

William Leonard Pickard said:
Kindness and compassion are the hallmarks of a civilized society - Caesar Chavez

Last edited:
Bali Nine: Australia to withdraw ambassador to Indonesia over executions of Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran

The executions of convicted Australian drug smugglers Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran have sparked an "unprecedented" diplomatic response, with Australia withdrawing its ambassador from Indonesia in protest.

Mr Abbott confirmed the move to withdraw ambassador Paul Grigson this morning, saying Australia deeply regretted the "cruel" and "unnecessary" executions and acknowledging it was a "dark moment" in the relationship between Australia and Indonesia.

"We do deplore what's been done and this cannot be simply business as usual," he said.

"For that reason, once all the courtesies have been extended to the Chan and Sukumaran families, our ambassador will be withdrawn for consultations.

"I want to stress that this is a very important relationship between Australia and Indonesia but it has suffered as a result of what's been done over the last few hours."

Australia has not previously taken this step when a citizen has been executed by a foreign country, and it has never before withdrawn an ambassador to Indonesia.

"It is very unusual, indeed unprecedented, for an ambassador to be withdrawn so I don't want to minimise the gravity of what we've done," Mr Abbott said.

continued...

...kytnism...:|

Are we going to withdraw our ambassadors from every country with the death penalty?

I think it's a worthy protest, but it seems a little haphazard and unrealistic.

Are we going to withdraw our ambassadors from every country with the death penalty?

I think it's a worthy protest, but it seems a little haphazard and unrealistic.

It's a meaningless symbolic gesture but at least he did something. The real test will be whether it effects austrailian citizens vacation plans.

INDONESIA FIRES BACK: 'We are facing a war against drugs'

Indonesia’s attorney general has defended the execution of the seven foreign drug convicts, saying that the country was facing a “war” against drugs.

“We are fighting a war against horrible drug crimes that threaten our nation’s survival,” Muhammad Prasetyo told reporters.

“I would like to say that an execution is not a pleasant thing. It is not a fun job,” Prasetyo went on.

“But we must do it in order to save the nation from the danger of drugs.

We are not making enemies of counties from where those executed came.

What we are fighting against is drug-related crimes.” He also played down Australia’s decision to recall its ambassador over the execution of its citizens, describing it as a “temporary reaction”.

Cont -

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/t...myuran-sukumaran/story-fnh81fz8-1227325701195

INDONESIA FIRES BACK: 'We are facing a war against drugs'

Indonesia’s attorney general has defended the execution of the seven foreign drug convicts, saying that the country was facing a “war” against drugs.

“We are fighting a war against horrible drug crimes that threaten our nation’s survival,” Muhammad Prasetyo told reporters.

“I would like to say that an execution is not a pleasant thing. It is not a fun job,” Prasetyo went on.

“But we must do it in order to save the nation from the danger of drugs.

We are not making enemies of counties from where those executed came.

What we are fighting against is drug-related crimes.” He also played down Australia’s decision to recall its ambassador over the execution of its citizens, describing it as a “temporary reaction”.

Cont -

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/t...myuran-sukumaran/story-fnh81fz8-1227325701195

What a load of absolute tripe. It was a political stunt and nothing more. Fucking murderers

Damn that's fucked up RIP to those executed. Hopefully one day Widodo gets what he deserves.

So terribly sad...I love to travel and would love to see Bali but fuck, after this shit? Indonesia just moved to the last place in the world I'd like to see.

My thoughts go out to their families. Bunch of corrupt savages were behind this.

One of the tweets said it perfectly in my opinion: "Lives lost. Nothing gained."

I'm also aware that some of us will no doubt disagree with that sentiment. And they will reason that the lives that were lost would have continued to smuggle heroin, thus, possibly ruining many more lives.

To this I say as follows:

Imagine you're in your early 20s - just recently completed your post-secondary education, and school is finally out for good, and it's time to celebrate.

Long story short, due to having to pay off the debts you've amassed over the past few years (since completing high school), you end up making one wrong decision.

Unfortunately, the "wrong decision" in your case is being busted in Bali while trying to board a flight back home to Australia with a few kilos of Heroin strapped to your body.

Soon afterwards, a few crooked men you've never met notify you that your fate is in their hands, and it has just been decided as follows:

- First, you're gonna be spending the next 10 years in a rusty third world prison which reeks of the sun-baked piss and shit littering the facility.
- Lastly, after rotting away for a decade of what should have been the best years of your life, you'll be executed.
- P.S., your drug dealing boss - who has lost no sleep over all this news - has already hired another smuggler off of a never-ending waiting list, and you've been long forgotten about. Don't take it personally, it's just business. Oh, and he remains free as a bird.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure, if you visit a foreign country, you should respect their laws or be prepared to face the consequences if you choose not to.

That said however, I take exception with any government (and not the country's ordinary citizens) which executes people for drug-related crimes - particularly when they all smoke like chimneys and allow tourists to drink like fishes.

If Indonesia's supreme dipshit leader happens to be a smoker, let's just say that I wouldn't mind if irony eventually gets the best of him in the form of lung cancer. No, I wouldn't mind at all after this.

Death penalty case: Sydney man Peter Gardner to face Guangzhou court over drug charges

HOURS before the Bali Nine duo were shot dead, another young Australian man came a step closer to facing execution overseas.

Sydney man Peter Gardner, 25, has had his death penalty case in a Chinese courtroom brought forward by almost six months and will go on trial in the southern metropolis of Guangzhou next Thursday, May 7, for allegedly attempting to export 30kg of methamphetamine, or ice.

Gardner’s lawyer, New Zealand barrister Craig Tuck, said the reasons for the fast-tracked trial were unknown.

Cont -

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/d...ver-drug-charges/story-fnh81fz8-1227327323067

Dear President Widodo

Dear Mr President,

Your decision to execute fellow Australians Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran this morning for crimes they were truly remorseful for has rattled my maternal instincts to the very core.

Mr President you have three children as do I, so you know as a parent you swear (to which ever God you worship) you will protect them with a fierceness that could deflect bullets, there is just nothing you wouldn’t do for your baby no matter what! Right?

Last night, I can’t even (and don’t want to) imagine what it was like for the families who were huddled inside a nearby hotel room awaiting the first shot to echo death across the water … their hearts breaking a little more with each and every one that followed.

To leave a parent so powerless … I have no words.

But I do have some words that I want to say and I can assure you they may take you a little by surprise like they did me.

Today I am not only addressing you as a mother in the depths of despair, I am also someone who has lost a loved one to drugs.

I know only too well the destruction they cause families by crushing hopes and dreams and ruining good people. My little brother was one of those good people.

So why did I still stand for mercy?

For years, I asked myself if I came face-to-face with the low-life scumbag who placed death in my brother’s veins, would I want them dead?

Ten years ago, I can honestly say absolutely, and I would have followed through with a swift kick in the balls and a punch in the face too!

But that was then and now, the answer is always the same.

I wouldn’t.

IF they showed remorse.

It didn’t take a scientist to work out Andrew and Myuran had really f**ked it up for themselves, along with the other seven lives (of the Bali Nine) and if the drugs did hit the streets, another few thousand.

But in your prison over the last decade you allowed them to be fully rehabilitated (Andrew a Pastor and Myuran an Artist) and you also saw them making valuable contributions to society by building drug and education programs where they mentored fellow inmates.

The two worked so hard striving to right their wrongs and give back what they took from your country (respect).

Cont -

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/dear-president-widodo/story-fnh81fz8-1227327235382

Indonesia's attorney-general boasts of 'smooth and orderly' executions

3004_hmprasetyo_a.ashx

Indonesian Attorney-General HM Prasetyo has declared the executions of Andrew Chan, Myuran Sukumaran and six others to be "perfect" and applauded the firing squad for its work.

"All shots were done perfectly. These executions were carried out smoothly and in order — much better than the first round of executions in January," he said, according to ABC News.

Chan and Sukumaran, along with four Africans and a Brazilian, were executed simultaneously at 3:35am (AEST) on Wednesday, each by a 13-man firing squad.

At the execution site, the condemned men were strapped to wooden poles. They wore white tunics, with a black marker over their hearts to guide the marksmen.

Medical teams declared all the men dead three minutes after they were shot.

Mr Prasetyo visited Nusakambangan on Wednesday, hours after the Bali Nine pair were executed on the prison island alongside the other drug offenders.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/...th-and-orderly-executions#KotZLJej0A3VxZIW.99

Fuck Joko.

I spent a month in Indonesia recently. I know that since the election Joko is seen as a weak leader. Which is precisely why these executions have happened.

Here is what I wrote on March 8th on leaving SEAsia.

Unlike Indonesia. Remember Jokowi, the great liberal hope, the first non-military related elected leader of Indonesia in a zillion years? The same Jokowi who is about to execute foreign drug dealers to make himself look tough? He 'needs' to do this. Because his first months in government have been weak and a disaster. He has failed to stand up to the corruptors. In Jakarta there is a guy leading the city who is commonly known as Ahok. Ahok is standing up to corruption. Ahok could do with Jokowi's support. Ahok will soon be dead. In Indonesia corruption has been the way business has been done for years, fattening the bank accounts of bureaucrats and legislators as well as the political parties. Ahok is the city's first ethnic Chinese and non-Muslim governor in 50 years. There are YouTube videos where you can see the city council hurling racist abuse at Ahok for daring to question the corrupt budget legislation they are currently trying to push through. Will Jokowi do the right thing and support Ahok? Will he fuck. The popular support lies with the corruptors. So much for the great liberal hope. Politics eh?

Fuck Joko.

I spent a month in Indonesia recently. I know that since the election Joko is seen as a weak leader. Which is precisely why these executions have happened.

Here is what I wrote on March 8th on leaving SEAsia.

agreed. there was a short televising on abc the evening prior to the executions suggesting that his political cabinet and female foreign minister, retno marsudi had advised him that to increase his image of being portrayed as a powerful leader and gain the respect of his political peers and the citizens of indonesia the executions must go ahead as planned. im still baffled by this notion, as whilst there have been leaders in the past that are historically renowned for having murderous blood on their hands; they are rarely viewed as noble and respectful. if in power, id much rather go down in history as being remembered for abolishing the death penalty in my country, encouraging peace and rehabilitation within the prison system (that is a third world one, not a private entity for profit) and strengthening foreign relations with neighboring countries.

...kytnism...:|